Adblock Question - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Adblock Question - Mozilla ; In the adblock preferences window, what is the difference between the "hide ads" and the "remove adds" check boxes (circles) in the lower left. I couldn't find anything description for this at the adblock home page. Thanks...Pete...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

  1. Adblock Question

    In the adblock preferences window, what is the difference between the "hide
    ads" and the "remove adds" check boxes (circles) in the lower left. I
    couldn't find anything description for this at the adblock home page.
    Thanks...Pete

  2. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/13/06 19:58, Pete wrote:
    > In the adblock preferences window, what is the difference between the "hide
    > ads" and the "remove adds" check boxes (circles) in the lower left. I
    > couldn't find anything description for this at the adblock home page.
    > Thanks...Pete

    You should try out Adblock Plus [1]. It's like Adblock, only actively
    developed. (Well, Adblock is, but who knows when 0.6 is going to be
    released.)

    In a feeble attempt at an answer to your question, perhaps hide just
    sets them not to display with CSS, and remove, well, does more? Actually
    removes them from the page?

    [1]
    --
    Yay!

  3. Re: Adblock Question

    Pete wrote:
    > In the adblock preferences window, what is the difference between the
    > "hide ads" and the "remove adds" check boxes (circles) in the lower
    > left. I couldn't find anything description for this at the adblock
    > home page. Thanks...Pete

    Also...in the "adblock options" list of options, what happens if you check
    "site blocking" in the browser window. I am using adblock 0.5.2.039...Pete

  4. Re: Adblock Question

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/13/06 19:58, Pete wrote:
    >> In the adblock preferences window, what is the difference between
    >> the "hide ads" and the "remove adds" check boxes (circles) in the
    >> lower left. I couldn't find anything description for this at the
    >> adblock home page. Thanks...Pete

    > You should try out Adblock Plus [1]. It's like Adblock, only actively
    > developed. (Well, Adblock is, but who knows when 0.6 is going to be
    > released.)

    I was thinking about that Matt, but thought I would leave well off alone.
    What do you mean by "actively developed". If I install "plus", do I have to
    export/import my filters, or does it just grab them from my profile (if I
    leave the old adblock installed), or should I uninstall the old adblock
    first, and export the filters to disc (which I already have done
    anyway)...Pete

    > In a feeble attempt at an answer to your question, perhaps hide just
    > sets them not to display with CSS, and remove, well, does more?
    > Actually removes them from the page?

    I'm still confused Matt but don't worry about it. As far as I see they both
    do the same thing but obviously not in the same manner :-) . I checked the
    site below and didn't see an answer. I wrote another question also, that
    you may help answer. Thanks...Pete

    > [1]

  5. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/13/06 20:40, Pete wrote:
    > I was thinking about that Matt, but thought I would leave well off alone.
    > What do you mean by "actively developed". If I install "plus", do I have to
    > export/import my filters, or does it just grab them from my profile (if I
    > leave the old adblock installed), or should I uninstall the old adblock
    > first, and export the filters to disc (which I already have done
    > anyway)...Pete

    By actively developed, I mean that there are new versions of Adblock
    Plus with new features and other major changes all the time, whereas in
    the last two years, almost nothing has happened with the Adblock
    releases. They're developing a new version of Adblock that's supposed to
    be totally awesome, but it's been promised for a few years.

    You should uninstall Adblock first, but Adblock Plus will pick up your
    filters and other settings from Adblock.

    > I'm still confused Matt but don't worry about it. As far as I see they both
    > do the same thing but obviously not in the same manner :-) . I checked the
    > site below and didn't see an answer. I wrote another question also, that
    > you may help answer. Thanks...Pete

    Yes, the block ads. But Adblock Plus does it better. It's become more
    efficient, less buggy and has more features.
    --
    Yay!

  6. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/13/06 20:19, Pete wrote:
    > Also...in the "adblock options" list of options, what happens if you check
    > "site blocking" in the browser window. I am using adblock 0.5.2.039...Pete

    In Adblock Plus, at least, you can open a separate window to block
    websites by domain, I guess similar to Firefox's images and cookie
    exceptions windows. I do not know if there's much of a benefit over just
    creating a regular filter to do it.
    --
    Yay!

  7. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/13/06 20:55, Pete wrote:
    > Thanks Q...good info. I will leave it on "remove ads" :-) . Is it accepted
    > to call the "radio buttons" check boxes - radio buttons sounds too corny (ie
    > I have the radio button checked, versus the check box checked - to me they
    > are round check boxes). I don't recall any one ever using that term before.
    > Very interesting. As far as "windows" terminology goes I thought a "button"
    > was more of a rectangular box that you clicked (like remove, properties,
    > apply, okay, etc). Anyway thanks...Pete

    Well, they are called radio buttons. It would be less confusing if you
    used that, even if the name doesn't make sense.

    With checkboxes, when you have a group of them, you can check or uncheck
    whichever ones you want.

    With radio buttons, in a group, you can only be allowed to have one
    selected. They work with ORs, not ANDs, I suppose. They are different.

    I expect anyone could easily understand you if you called radio buttons
    checkboxes, but, well, I dunno, it'd make me happy if you called them
    radio buttons. :-D
    --
    Yay!

  8. Re: Adblock Question

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/13/06 20:55, Pete wrote:
    >> Thanks Q...good info. I will leave it on "remove ads" :-) . Is it
    >> accepted to call the "radio buttons" check boxes - radio buttons
    >> sounds too corny (ie I have the radio button checked, versus the
    >> check box checked - to me they are round check boxes). I don't
    >> recall any one ever using that term before. Very interesting. As
    >> far as "windows" terminology goes I thought a "button" was more of a
    >> rectangular box that you clicked (like remove, properties, apply,
    >> okay, etc). Anyway thanks...Pete

    > Well, they are called radio buttons. It would be less confusing if you
    > used that, even if the name doesn't make sense.
    >
    > With checkboxes, when you have a group of them, you can check or
    > uncheck whichever ones you want.
    >
    > With radio buttons, in a group, you can only be allowed to have one
    > selected. They work with ORs, not ANDs, I suppose. They are different.
    >
    > I expect anyone could easily understand you if you called radio
    > buttons checkboxes, but, well, I dunno, it'd make me happy if you
    > called them radio buttons. :-D

    Thanks Matt...I will try to remember. Thats neat about the OR's but not
    AND's [I recall that from all the days with IE :-)] ...Pete

  9. Re: Adblock Question

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/13/06 20:40, Pete wrote:
    >> I was thinking about that Matt, but thought I would leave well off
    >> alone. What do you mean by "actively developed". If I install
    >> "plus", do I have to export/import my filters, or does it just grab
    >> them from my profile (if I leave the old adblock installed), or
    >> should I uninstall the old adblock first, and export the filters to
    >> disc (which I already have done anyway)...Pete

    > By actively developed, I mean that there are new versions of Adblock
    > Plus with new features and other major changes all the time, whereas
    > in the last two years, almost nothing has happened with the Adblock
    > releases. They're developing a new version of Adblock that's supposed
    > to be totally awesome, but it's been promised for a few years.
    >
    > You should uninstall Adblock first, but Adblock Plus will pick up your
    > filters and other settings from Adblock.

    Matt...I'm a little confused here. If I uninstall Adblock first, won't it
    delete the extension in my profile, and then Adblock plus won't have
    anything to get my filters from (I assume the filters are in the adblock
    extension in the profile). You just said "You should uninstall Adblock
    first, but Adblock Plus will pick up your filters and other settings from
    Adblock". Am I missing something here...Pete

    >> I'm still confused Matt but don't worry about it. As far as I see
    >> they both do the same thing but obviously not in the same manner :-)
    >> . I checked the site below and didn't see an answer. I wrote
    >> another question also, that you may help answer. Thanks...Pete

    > Yes, the block ads. But Adblock Plus does it better. It's become more
    > efficient, less buggy and has more features.

  10. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/13/06 21:13, Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > Yes, the block ads. But Adblock Plus does it better. It's become more
    > efficient, less buggy and has more features.

    That was supposed to be "they", not "the".
    --
    Yay!

  11. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/13/06 21:53, Pete wrote:
    > Matt...I'm a little confused here. If I uninstall Adblock first, won't it
    > delete the extension in my profile, and then Adblock plus won't have
    > anything to get my filters from (I assume the filters are in the adblock
    > extension in the profile). You just said "You should uninstall Adblock
    > first, but Adblock Plus will pick up your filters and other settings from
    > Adblock". Am I missing something here...Pete

    Your filters are stored in the adblock.patterns preference in
    about:config. It won't be removed if you uninstall Adblock.
    --
    Yay!

  12. Re: Adblock Question

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/13/06 20:40, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I was thinking about that Matt, but thought I would leave well off
    >> alone. What do you mean by "actively developed". If I install "plus",
    >> do I have to export/import my filters, or does it just grab them from
    >> my profile (if I leave the old adblock installed), or should I
    >> uninstall the old adblock first, and export the filters to disc (which
    >> I already have done anyway)...Pete

    > By actively developed, I mean that there are new versions of Adblock
    > Plus with new features and other major changes all the time, whereas in
    > the last two years, almost nothing has happened with the Adblock
    > releases. They're developing a new version of Adblock that's supposed to
    > be totally awesome, but it's been promised for a few years.
    >
    > You should uninstall Adblock first, but Adblock Plus will pick up your
    > filters and other settings from Adblock.
    >
    >> I'm still confused Matt but don't worry about it. As far as I see
    >> they both do the same thing but obviously not in the same manner :-)
    >> . I checked the site below and didn't see an answer. I wrote another
    >> question also, that you may help answer. Thanks...Pete

    > Yes, the block ads. But Adblock Plus does it better. It's become more
    > efficient, less buggy and has more features.

    What's "better" about adblock plus? I'm using regular
    adblock with flashblock and it's pretty good. From time to
    time I'm annoyed by things that scroll across the screen or
    blink at me, but not very often.

    What am I missing that I'd have with Adblock Plus?

    TIA

    Louise

  13. Re: Adblock Question

    louise wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >> On 01/13/06 20:40, Pete wrote:

    /snip/

    > What's "better" about adblock plus? I'm using regular adblock with
    > flashblock and it's pretty good. From time to time I'm annoyed by
    > things that scroll across the screen or blink at me, but not very often.
    >
    > What am I missing that I'd have with Adblock Plus?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Louise

    For what its worth, I gave up on AdBlock some time ago. I have seen
    repeated problems that ended up being related to Adblock, and indeed, to
    AdBlock plus.

    A good hosts file should block most ads. If that's not enough, the code
    on the following page should help:

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/adblock.html

    Some say it removes too much, but it can be modified.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  14. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/13/06 23:50, louise wrote:
    > What's "better" about adblock plus? I'm using regular adblock with
    > flashblock and it's pretty good. From time to time I'm annoyed by
    > things that scroll across the screen or blink at me, but not very often.
    >
    > What am I missing that I'd have with Adblock Plus?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Louise

    Well, I believe many Adblock bugs have been fixed and there are
    efficiency and design improvements. The main thing that was useful to me
    was regular expression filters, because they're so much more powerful,
    but they do take some work to use. So, really, I dunno. Stick with
    Adblock if you want.

    I have to point out that I have heard about problems with Adblock in
    Firefox 1.5 that are rectified by switching to Adblock Plus. Adblock 0.5
    really isn't well supported anymore. AFAIK they fix enough bugs for it
    to be usable, but not for it to be really nice. I haven't checked for
    updates to this information since that newer release of Adblock 0.5 a
    little while ago.

    So, I dunno. Maybe I should just shut up about Adblock.
    --
    Yay!

  15. Re: Adblock Question

    Pete wrote:

    > In the adblock preferences window, what is the difference between the "hide
    > ads" and the "remove adds" check boxes (circles) in the lower left. I
    > couldn't find anything description for this at the adblock home page.
    > Thanks...Pete

    I hate to put a wrench in all of this, but adblock and adblock plus
    have their own forums.

    For adblock: http://adblock.mozdev.org/forum.html/no_wrap
    For adblock plus: http://p2.forumforfree.com/adblockplus.html

  16. Re: Adblock Question

    Pete wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >> On 01/13/06 20:55, Pete wrote:
    >>> Thanks Q...good info. I will leave it on "remove ads" :-) . Is it
    >>> accepted to call the "radio buttons" check boxes - radio buttons
    >>> sounds too corny (ie I have the radio button checked, versus the
    >>> check box checked - to me they are round check boxes). I don't
    >>> recall any one ever using that term before. Very interesting. As
    >>> far as "windows" terminology goes I thought a "button" was more of a
    >>> rectangular box that you clicked (like remove, properties, apply,
    >>> okay, etc). Anyway thanks...Pete

    >> Well, they are called radio buttons. It would be less confusing if you
    >> used that, even if the name doesn't make sense.
    >>
    >> With checkboxes, when you have a group of them, you can check or
    >> uncheck whichever ones you want.
    >>
    >> With radio buttons, in a group, you can only be allowed to have one
    >> selected. They work with ORs, not ANDs, I suppose. They are different.
    >>
    >> I expect anyone could easily understand you if you called radio
    >> buttons checkboxes, but, well, I dunno, it'd make me happy if you
    >> called them radio buttons. :-D

    > Thanks Matt...I will try to remember. Thats neat about the OR's but not
    > AND's [I recall that from all the days with IE :-)] ...Pete

    I imagine the name might come from the 50's. Car and home radios had push
    buttons that had a 1/4" throw because it was a mechanical action. :-\

  17. Re: Adblock Question

    on 14.01.2006 03:13 Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/13/06 20:40, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I was thinking about that Matt, but thought I would leave well off
    >> alone. What do you mean by "actively developed". If I install "plus",
    >> do I have to export/import my filters, or does it just grab them from
    >> my profile (if I leave the old adblock installed), or should I
    >> uninstall the old adblock first, and export the filters to disc (which
    >> I already have done anyway)...Pete

    > By actively developed, I mean that there are new versions of Adblock
    > Plus with new features and other major changes all the time, whereas in
    > the last two years, almost nothing has happened with the Adblock
    > releases. They're developing a new version of Adblock that's supposed to
    > be totally awesome, but it's been promised for a few years.
    >
    > You should uninstall Adblock first, but Adblock Plus will pick up your
    > filters and other settings from Adblock.
    >
    >> I'm still confused Matt but don't worry about it. As far as I see
    >> they both do the same thing but obviously not in the same manner :-)
    >> . I checked the site below and didn't see an answer. I wrote another
    >> question also, that you may help answer. Thanks...Pete

    > Yes, the block ads. But Adblock Plus does it better. It's become more
    > efficient, less buggy and has more features.

    Could anybody please explain the main difference beetween AdBlock and
    AdBlock Plus?

    I use AdBlock and Adblock Filterset.G Updater togheter today. What is
    the advantage to move to AdBlock Plus?

    TIA

    --
    vegard krog petersen
    http://vegard2.no

  18. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/14/06 11:46, Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
    > Could anybody please explain the main difference beetween AdBlock and
    > AdBlock Plus?
    >
    > I use AdBlock and Adblock Filterset.G Updater togheter today. What is
    > the advantage to move to AdBlock Plus?
    >
    > TIA

    There could be. I believe it should have better performance and less
    bugs, and you can use regular expression filters, which is useful.

    Why not try it out? You won't lose your filters or anything.
    --
    Yay!

  19. Re: Adblock Question

    Don Nickell wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >>> Well, they are called radio buttons. It would be less confusing if
    >>> you used that, even if the name doesn't make sense.
    >>>
    >>> With checkboxes, when you have a group of them, you can check or
    >>> uncheck whichever ones you want.
    >>>
    >>> With radio buttons, in a group, you can only be allowed to have one
    >>> selected. They work with ORs, not ANDs, I suppose. They are
    >>> different. I expect anyone could easily understand you if you called
    >>> radio
    >>> buttons checkboxes, but, well, I dunno, it'd make me happy if you
    >>> called them radio buttons. :-D

    >> Thanks Matt...I will try to remember. Thats neat about the OR's but
    >> not AND's [I recall that from all the days with IE :-)] ...Pete
    >>

    > I imagine the name might come from the 50's. Car and home radios had
    > push buttons that had a 1/4" throw because it was a mechanical
    > action. :-\

    Makes sense Don...I am old enough to remember the 50's :-) ...Pete

  20. The main differences

    Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
    > Could anybody please explain the main difference beetween AdBlock and
    > AdBlock Plus?
    >
    > I use AdBlock and Adblock Filterset.G Updater togheter today. What is
    > the advantage to move to AdBlock Plus?

    Adblock Plus allow the user to disable adblock for a particular site.
    This feature is called site whitelisting. A nice feature if you need it.
    It's also possible to block a site completely (Site Blocking).

    With respect to blocking adds I've noticed no difference between Adblock
    and Adblock Plus.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast