Adblock Question - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Adblock Question - Mozilla ; On 1/15/2006 2:09 PM Pete ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth: > Leonidas Jones wrote: >> gwtc wrote: >>> Pete wrote: >>> >>>> Don Nickell wrote: >>>> >>>>> Pete wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> Matt Nordhoff wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>>> On 01/13/06 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

  1. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    On 1/15/2006 2:09 PM Pete ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >> /snip/
    >>

    > were not appropriate and should never have been used for all that time.

    Pretty simple, really. On secnews, which was a Netscape function, the
    Champs administered and moderated the newsgroups. The no snipping
    policy was their's and we adhered to their wishes (mostly.) The
    Mozilla.org newsgroups have always encouraged snipping to conserve
    bandwidth and as a courtesy tto dialup users (Yes, there are still many
    places where broadband is not available.) so one adheres to the admin's
    guidelines (mostly.)

    --
    Jim

    "Recently, my personal advisors have beeen telling me to go to America.
    Actually, people have been walking up to me in the street and telling me
    to sod off, but that's the same thing, isn't it?"
    -Alexi Sayle

  2. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/14/06 21:27, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Anything in the program files default folder will be used to create a
    > new profile, or to replace any file found missing in an existing folder.

    Okies. :-) I knew that stuff was used for new profiles, but not to
    replace missing files in old ones.
    --
    Yay!

  3. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/15/06 14:18, Pete wrote:
    > Mine has the comments also, but no real content (thats what I meant by "mine
    > is blank").

    Okay.

    > Matt...you lost me a little here (NBD). The file is not missing...Pete

    But if it is missing. A user might delete everything in their profile
    because of a problem or something. A program should trust users as
    little as possible, including not assuming that they won't do something
    with the program's generated data.
    --
    Yay!

  4. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/14/06 14:17, Pete wrote:
    > Matt...could you explain a little more (a couple sentences or so) about the
    > expression filters (which I'm sure I don't need). My regular adblock works
    > fine and I am very pleased with it. If its too complicated forget it...Pete

    Regular expressions are ugly and complicated, but very powerful.

    See Wikipedia [1] for information.

    For example, this regular expression would 'match' the words red, read,
    reed, road and rod (unless I messed it up, but I don't think I did):

    /r(e[ae]?|oa?)d/

    I don't want to try to explain my example pattern, and I doubt I could
    do it well, but [2] should explain it (and the rest of Mozilla's regular
    expression syntax, which is what you would use with Adblock Plus) well
    enough.

    [1]
    [2]
    ()
    --
    Yay!

  5. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/15/06 01:01, louise wrote:
    > If I'm using flashblock, is there any reason to have object tabs checked
    > in Adblock?

    What Obj-Tabs do is make it easier to block plugins such as Flash. There
    are other plugins. But maybe not, since Obj-Tabs have been known to
    cause problems.
    --
    Yay!

  6. Re: Adblock Question

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/14/06 14:17, Pete wrote:
    >> Matt...could you explain a little more (a couple sentences or so)
    >> about the expression filters (which I'm sure I don't need). My
    >> regular adblock works fine and I am very pleased with it. If its
    >> too complicated forget it...Pete

    > Regular expressions are ugly and complicated, but very powerful.
    >
    > See Wikipedia [1] for information.
    >
    > For example, this regular expression would 'match' the words red,
    > read, reed, road and rod (unless I messed it up, but I don't think I
    > did):
    > /r(e[ae]?|oa?)d/
    >
    > I don't want to try to explain my example pattern, and I doubt I could
    > do it well, but [2] should explain it (and the rest of Mozilla's
    > regular expression syntax, which is what you would use with Adblock
    > Plus) well enough.
    >
    > [1]
    > [2]
    > ()

    Thanks Matt...You have explained it sufficiently...Pete

  7. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/15/06 17:15, Pete wrote:
    > Thanks Matt...You have explained it sufficiently...Pete

    I tried to think of something to say, but failed, so ":-)".
    --
    Yay!

  8. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    MushMorton wrote:
    > On 1/15/2006 2:09 PM Pete ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:

    >>> /snip/
    >>>

    >> were not appropriate and should never have been used for all that time.
    >>

    > Pretty simple, really. On secnews, which was a Netscape function, the
    > Champs administered and moderated the newsgroups. The no snipping
    > policy was their's and we adhered to their wishes (mostly.) The
    > Mozilla.org newsgroups have always encouraged snipping to conserve
    > bandwidth and as a courtesy tto dialup users (Yes, there are still many
    > places where broadband is not available.) so one adheres to the admin's
    > guidelines (mostly.)

    Hell, Mush, I'm on dialup and it doesn't take that long to d/l a 5K
    message! I know you didn't write the policy either.

    I'd much rather have full quoting and *fewer* messages.

    I just wanted to take the opportunity to throw in aother bitch. :-P

  9. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    On 1/15/2006 8:03 PM Don Nickell ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:
    > MushMorton wrote:

    it doesn't take that long to d/l a 5K
    > message!
    > I'd much rather have full quoting and *fewer* messages.

    Yeah, I prefer complete quotes myself. Some posters snip everything and
    I have no idea what they are referring to without searching back up the
    thread. The posting guidelines give the dialup rationale. As I said in
    another thread: "When in Rome..."

    --
    Jim

    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a
    fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
    -Mark Twian

  10. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    /snip/

    > another thread: "When in Rome..."

    Oops, that was a little too much, wasn't it. /)

    Just trying to find mt place in this brave new world.

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  11. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > /snip/
    >
    >> another thread: "When in Rome..."
    >>

    > Oops, that was a little too much, wasn't it. /)
    >
    > Just trying to find mt place in this brave new world.
    >
    > Lee

    I'm trying to find me place in this new world too. But when I spend 15
    minutes trying to find a message amongst a gazillion messages, and the
    Find utility won't work because "A News (NNTP) error occurred: xpat not
    supported" then I find being brave doesn't help.

    I know it done "for the server's sake" but these things don't seem to be
    rational, i.e., snip because d/l time for dialup users, too much room on
    server, etc. Those reasons just don't make sense.

    As Reg is want to say, "AOHell"

    Don

  12. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    Don Nickell wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >>/snip/

    > I'm trying to find me place in this new world too. But when I spend 15
    > minutes trying to find a message amongst a gazillion messages, and the
    > Find utility won't work because "A News (NNTP) error occurred: xpat not
    > supported" then I find being brave doesn't help.

    {SNIP}

    > Don

    Searching cannot be done on the news.mozilla.org servers

  13. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    gwtc wrote:
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> /snip/

    >> I'm trying to find me place in this new world too. But when I spend
    >> 15 minutes trying to find a message amongst a gazillion messages, and
    >> the Find utility won't work because "A News (NNTP) error occurred:
    >> *xpat not supported*" then I find being brave doesn't help.

    > {SNIP}
    >>
    >> Don

    > Searching cannot be done on the news.mozilla.org servers

    Please read my message above for the reason, I just *bolded* it to make it
    easier for you to find. ;-)

    BTW, it's not snipped because I don't believe in snipping. That's one of
    the reasons I don't like many UseNet NGs. :-(

  14. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    On 16.01.2006 11:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused gwtc to
    generate the following:? :

    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> /snip/

    >> I'm trying to find me place in this new world too. But when I spend
    >> 15 minutes trying to find a message amongst a gazillion messages, and
    >> the Find utility won't work because "A News (NNTP) error occurred:
    >> xpat not supported" then I find being brave doesn't help.

    > {SNIP}
    >

    >> Don

    > Searching cannot be done on the news.mozilla.org servers

    hmmmm - thought that was *the whole idea* of using these "searchable"
    servers??

    reg

  15. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 16.01.2006 11:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused gwtc to
    > generate the following:? :
    >
    >> Don Nickell wrote:

    >>> I'm trying to find me place in this new world too. But when I spend
    >>> 15 minutes trying to find a message amongst a gazillion messages, and
    >>> the Find utility won't work because "A News (NNTP) error occurred:
    >>> xpat not supported" then I find being brave doesn't help.

    >> {SNIP}
    >>

    >>> Don

    >> Searching cannot be done on the news.mozilla.org servers

    > hmmmm - thought that was *the whole idea* of using these "searchable"
    > servers??
    >
    > reg

    This whole matter of the support NGs is enough to make a grown man :'(.

  16. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    Don Nickell wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Don Nickell wrote:

    >>>I'm trying to find me place in this new world too. But when I spend
    >>>15 minutes trying to find a message amongst a gazillion messages, and
    >>>the Find utility won't work because "A News (NNTP) error occurred:
    >>>*xpat not supported*" then I find being brave doesn't help.

    >>{SNIP}
    >>
    >>>Don

    >>Searching cannot be done on the news.mozilla.org servers

    > Please read my message above for the reason, I just *bolded* it to make it
    > easier for you to find. ;-)
    >
    > BTW, it's not snipped because I don't believe in snipping. That's one of
    > the reasons I don't like many UseNet NGs. :-(

    Maybe you need to read what I said. Do you NOT understand what I'm
    saying. Let me try it another way: Searching cannot be done on these
    servers -- thats the news://mozilla.org server. XPAT is a search
    process: http://www.dlxs.org/products/xpat.html

    The only way for you to do any type of search is to download them all
    to your hard drive, or wait until googlegroups has them.

  17. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 16.01.2006 11:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused gwtc to
    > generate the following:? :
    >
    >> Don Nickell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Leonidas Jones wrote:

    /snip/

    > hmmmm - thought that was *the whole idea* of using these "searchable"
    > servers??
    >
    > reg

    No, that was the whole idea of letting Google Groups access the groups,
    to provide an archive, not a search function, though I suppose Google
    Groups would serve that effectively as well.

    Last I checked the groups were not on Google, not that I am in any hurry
    for them to be,

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  18. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question OT OT OT