Adblock Question - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Adblock Question - Mozilla ; Matt Nordhoff wrote: > On 01/13/06 21:13, Matt Nordhoff wrote: >> Yes, the block ads. But Adblock Plus does it better. It's become more >> efficient, less buggy and has more features. > > That was supposed to be "they", ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

  1. Re: Adblock Question

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/13/06 21:13, Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >> Yes, the block ads. But Adblock Plus does it better. It's become more
    >> efficient, less buggy and has more features.

    > That was supposed to be "they", not "the".

    I noticed that Matt, but didn't throw a barb in about spell check not being
    able to pick it up. I also send corrections when that happens to me
    (because I use spell check and proof read everything before I send it - and
    boy does that tick me off when that happens - lol) ...Pete

  2. Re: Adblock Question

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/14/06 11:46, Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
    >> Could anybody please explain the main difference beetween AdBlock and
    >> AdBlock Plus?
    >>
    >> I use AdBlock and Adblock Filterset.G Updater togheter today. What is
    >> the advantage to move to AdBlock Plus?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > There could be. I believe it should have better performance and less
    > bugs, and you can use regular expression filters, which is useful.
    >
    > Why not try it out? You won't lose your filters or anything.

    Matt...could you explain a little more (a couple sentences or so) about the
    expression filters (which I'm sure I don't need). My regular adblock works
    fine and I am very pleased with it. If its too complicated forget it...Pete

  3. Re: The main differences

    John S. Thomsen wrote:
    > Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
    >> Could anybody please explain the main difference beetween AdBlock and
    >> AdBlock Plus?
    >>
    >> I use AdBlock and Adblock Filterset.G Updater togheter today. What is
    >> the advantage to move to AdBlock Plus?

    > Adblock Plus allow the user to disable adblock for a particular site.
    > This feature is called site whitelisting. A nice feature if you need
    > it. It's also possible to block a site completely (Site Blocking).
    >
    > With respect to blocking adds I've noticed no difference between
    > Adblock and Adblock Plus.

    Thanks John.

  4. Re: Adblock Question

    gwtc wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >
    >> In the adblock preferences window, what is the difference between
    >> the "hide ads" and the "remove adds" check boxes (circles) in the
    >> lower left. I couldn't find anything description for this at the
    >> adblock home page. Thanks...Pete
    >>

    > I hate to put a wrench in all of this, but adblock and adblock plus
    > have their own forums.
    >
    > For adblock: http://adblock.mozdev.org/forum.html/no_wrap
    > For adblock plus: http://p2.forumforfree.com/adblockplus.html

    gwtc...Are you saying we are not allowed to ask questions about extensions
    in the firefox ng. I see it all the time. Besides forums suck and are too
    unwieldy (registration, da da da da), and newsgroups are much more user
    friendly (I hope you would all agree with that). Come on how about a break
    here for us "lowly" low end users - i.e. don't put us out in the cold :-) .

    I find the info in the FF ng very informative and helpful and do not
    consider asking a question about an extension OT (since how the extension
    works with FF is relevant IMO). The other responses in this thread are
    informative and I don't think are hurting anything and do not consider them
    OT.

    I do not like forums and do not use them. I like the FF ng...Pete

  5. Re: Adblock Question

    Pete wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >> On 01/13/06 21:13, Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >>> Yes, the block ads. But Adblock Plus does it better. It's become more
    >>> efficient, less buggy and has more features.

    >> That was supposed to be "they", not "the".

    > I noticed that Matt, but didn't throw a barb in about spell check not being
    > able to pick it up. I also send corrections when that happens to me
    > (because I use spell check and proof read everything before I send it - and
    > boy does that tick me off when that happens - lol) ...Pete

    I have a similar personal problem, Pete. I've never been able to spell, or
    punctuate, and it infuriates my wife who was an English teacher; in a
    loving way of course. ;-) I really need and *use* the 'speel as you
    type' of TB 1.5, but have come to realize it's really not a checker and
    thesaurus all in one. Sigh...

    For what it's worth I have a thesaurus program that's free that I use to
    augment the TB spell checker: http://wordweb.info/free/ But, again, if you
    can't spell you can't find an entry! :-P

    Don

  6. Re: Adblock Question

    Don Nickell wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >>> That was supposed to be "they", not "the".

    >> I noticed that Matt, but didn't throw a barb in about spell check
    >> not being able to pick it up. I also send corrections when that
    >> happens to me (because I use spell check and proof read everything
    >> before I send it - and boy does that tick me off when that happens -
    >> lol) ...Pete

    > I have a similar personal problem, Pete. I've never been able to
    > spell, or punctuate, and it infuriates my wife who was an English
    > teacher; in a loving way of course. ;-) I really need and *use* the
    > 'speel as you type' of TB 1.5, but have come to realize it's really
    > not a checker and thesaurus all in one. Sigh...
    >
    > For what it's worth I have a thesaurus program that's free that I use
    > to augment the TB spell checker: http://wordweb.info/free/ But,
    > again, if you can't spell you can't find an entry! :-P

    Thanks Don...I can spell real good except my fingers don't match my brain
    sometimes - lol ...Pete

    > Don

  7. Re: Adblock Question

    Pete wrote:

    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >
    >>Pete wrote:

    >>>I noticed that Matt, but didn't throw a barb in about spell check
    >>>not being able to pick it up. I also send corrections when that
    >>>happens to me (because I use spell check and proof read everything
    >>>before I send it - and boy does that tick me off when that happens -
    >>>lol) ...Pete

    >>I have a similar personal problem, Pete. I've never been able to
    >>spell, or punctuate, and it infuriates my wife who was an English
    >>teacher; in a loving way of course. ;-) I really need and *use* the
    >>'speel as you type' of TB 1.5, but have come to realize it's really
    >>not a checker and thesaurus all in one. Sigh...
    >>
    >>For what it's worth I have a thesaurus program that's free that I use
    >>to augment the TB spell checker: http://wordweb.info/free/ But,
    >> again, if you can't spell you can't find an entry! :-P

    > Thanks Don...I can spell real good except my fingers don't match my brain
    > sometimes - lol ...Pete

    Then you've got the Lee Finger Disorder Syndrome. Its a very
    contagious disease.

    Sorry Lee, I couldn't help it ;-)

  8. Re: Adblock Question

    Pete wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Pete wrote:
    >>

    >>>In the adblock preferences window, what is the difference between
    >>>the "hide ads" and the "remove adds" check boxes (circles) in the
    >>>lower left. I couldn't find anything description for this at the
    >>>adblock home page. Thanks...Pete
    >>>

    >>I hate to put a wrench in all of this, but adblock and adblock plus
    >>have their own forums.
    >>
    >>For adblock: http://adblock.mozdev.org/forum.html/no_wrap
    >>For adblock plus: http://p2.forumforfree.com/adblockplus.html

    > gwtc...Are you saying we are not allowed to ask questions about extensions
    > in the firefox ng. I see it all the time. Besides forums suck and are too
    > unwieldy (registration, da da da da), and newsgroups are much more user
    > friendly (I hope you would all agree with that). Come on how about a break
    > here for us "lowly" low end users - i.e. don't put us out in the cold :-) .
    >
    > I find the info in the FF ng very informative and helpful and do not
    > consider asking a question about an extension OT (since how the extension
    > works with FF is relevant IMO). The other responses in this thread are
    > informative and I don't think are hurting anything and do not consider them
    > OT.
    >
    > I do not like forums and do not use them. I like the FF ng...Pete

    I'm not saying that. All I'm saying is that you might get a better
    response there than you can here. Furthermore, not all extensions
    have forums.

  9. Re: Adblock Question

    gwtc wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> I hate to put a wrench in all of this, but adblock and adblock plus
    >>> have their own forums.
    >>>
    >>> For adblock: http://adblock.mozdev.org/forum.html/no_wrap
    >>> For adblock plus: http://p2.forumforfree.com/adblockplus.html

    >> gwtc...Are you saying we are not allowed to ask questions about
    >> extensions in the firefox ng. I see it all the time. Besides
    >> forums suck and are too unwieldy (registration, da da da da), and
    >> newsgroups are much more user friendly (I hope you would all agree
    >> with that). Come on how about a break here for us "lowly" low end
    >> users - i.e. don't put us out in the cold :-) . I find the info in the FF
    >> ng very informative and helpful and do not
    >> consider asking a question about an extension OT (since how the
    >> extension works with FF is relevant IMO). The other responses in
    >> this thread are informative and I don't think are hurting anything
    >> and do not consider them OT.
    >>
    >> I do not like forums and do not use them. I like the FF ng...Pete
    >>

    > I'm not saying that. All I'm saying is that you might get a better
    > response there than you can here. Furthermore, not all extensions
    > have forums.

    Okay!!!. You had me worried there for a while. I will stay with the FF ng.
    You guys are extremely knowledgeable and can handle almost any issue :-)
    ....Pete

  10. Re: Adblock Question

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/13/06 21:53, Pete wrote:
    >> Matt...I'm a little confused here. If I uninstall Adblock first,
    >> won't it delete the extension in my profile, and then Adblock plus
    >> won't have anything to get my filters from (I assume the filters are
    >> in the adblock extension in the profile). You just said "You should
    >> uninstall Adblock first, but Adblock Plus will pick up your filters
    >> and other settings from Adblock". Am I missing something here...Pete

    > Your filters are stored in the adblock.patterns preference in
    > about:config. It won't be removed if you uninstall Adblock.

    Matt...I checked this all out. There in the prefs.js file in my profile
    folder. Let me ask you something without getting into details on
    "about:config".

    In
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_...esabout:config,
    it says "about:config is a list of preferences that you can change". And
    the list of preferences is the pref.js file as far as I can tell.

    *So are "about:config" and "prefs.js" essentially the same thing*. And I
    could never figure why a programmer would come up with the strange name
    "about:config" :-) :-) ...Pete

  11. OT Re: Adblock Question

    gwtc wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >
    >> Don Nickell wrote:

    /snip/

    > Then you've got the Lee Finger Disorder Syndrome. Its a very contagious
    > disease.
    >
    > Sorry Lee, I couldn't help it ;-)

    Please snip unnecessary quotes. Refer to the Posting Etiquette linked
    in my sig for more information.

    I'll find some way to strike back.

    let the record show, joke or not, that today, for the first time, I
    cautioned a user *to* snip.

    I look at it as good practice.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  12. Re: Adblock Question

    Pete wrote:

    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >
    >>On 01/13/06 21:53, Pete wrote:
    >>
    >>>Matt...I'm a little confused here. If I uninstall Adblock first,
    >>>won't it delete the extension in my profile, and then Adblock plus
    >>>won't have anything to get my filters from (I assume the filters are
    >>>in the adblock extension in the profile). You just said "You should
    >>>uninstall Adblock first, but Adblock Plus will pick up your filters
    >>>and other settings from Adblock". Am I missing something here...Pete

    >>Your filters are stored in the adblock.patterns preference in
    >>about:config. It won't be removed if you uninstall Adblock.

    > Matt...I checked this all out. There in the prefs.js file in my profile
    > folder. Let me ask you something without getting into details on
    > "about:config".
    >
    > In
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_...esabout:config,
    > it says "about:config is a list of preferences that you can change". And
    > the list of preferences is the pref.js file as far as I can tell.
    >
    > *So are "about:config" and "prefs.js" essentially the same thing*. And I
    > could never figure why a programmer would come up with the strange name
    > "about:config" :-) :-) ...Pete

    Yes. The prefs.js is the file, while about:config is the config {or
    configuration} editor that accesses the prefs.js file. The config
    editor is usually a faster way to access and edit the prefs.js file.

  13. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/14/06 18:26, Pete wrote:
    > Matt...I checked this all out. There in the prefs.js file in my profile
    > folder. Let me ask you something without getting into details on
    > "about:config".
    >
    > In
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_...esabout:config,
    > it says "about:config is a list of preferences that you can change". And
    > the list of preferences is the pref.js file as far as I can tell.
    >
    > *So are "about:config" and "prefs.js" essentially the same thing*. And I
    > could never figure why a programmer would come up with the strange name
    > "about:config" :-) :-) ...Pete

    about:config also gets defaults from numerous locations:

    /defaults/pref/
    /greprefs/
    /extensions//defaults/preferences/

    But yes, it's just a nice pretty interface to editing prefs.js.

    I'd guess that "about:" already existed ("about:" has information about
    the program), so they just added "about:config" instead of adding some
    new protocol. ("config" short for "configuration", of course.)
    --
    Yay!

  14. Re: Adblock Question

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/14/06 18:26, Pete wrote:
    >> Matt...I checked this all out. There in the prefs.js file in my
    >> profile folder. Let me ask you something without getting into
    >> details on "about:config".
    >>
    >> In
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_...esabout:config,
    >> it says "about:config is a list of preferences that you can change".
    >> And the list of preferences is the pref.js file as far as I can tell.
    >>
    >> *So are "about:config" and "prefs.js" essentially the same thing*. And I
    >> could never figure why a programmer would come up with the
    >> strange name "about:config" :-) :-) ...Pete

    > about:config also gets defaults from numerous locations:
    >
    > /defaults/pref/
    > /greprefs/
    > /extensions//defaults/preferences/
    >
    > But yes, it's just a nice pretty interface to editing prefs.js.

    So is the following reasonably correct - if you type about:config in the
    address bar you get a comprehensive list of preferences for the above three
    locations you mention, as well as some more (the bolded ones being the ones
    you have changed). And if you go to the "prefs.js" file in the profile
    folder in c:\docs and settings, and open it with notepad, you get a list of
    only the bolded ones I mentioned in the last sentence (i.e. the things you
    have changed from default). I think that's pretty close. I don't know what
    the "prefs.js" in programs\moz FF\defaults\profile does (mine is
    blank)...Pete

    > I'd guess that "about:" already existed ("about:" has information
    > about the program), so they just added "about:config" instead of
    > adding some new protocol. ("config" short for "configuration", of
    > course.)

  15. Re: Adblock Question

    On 01/14/06 20:50, Pete wrote:
    > So is the following reasonably correct - if you type about:config in the
    > address bar you get a comprehensive list of preferences for the above three
    > locations you mention, as well as some more (the bolded ones being the ones
    > you have changed). And if you go to the "prefs.js" file in the profile
    > folder in c:\docs and settings, and open it with notepad, you get a list of
    > only the bolded ones I mentioned in the last sentence (i.e. the things you
    > have changed from default). I think that's pretty close.

    Yep. :-)

    > I don't know what
    > the "prefs.js" in programs\moz FF\defaults\profile does (mine is
    > blank)...Pete

    /defaults/profile is stuff that's put in profiles when they're
    created. The prefs.js is empty (on Linux, at least, it does have
    comments at the top, but no real content). I guess it's put there just
    so you will always have the comments at the top.

    But I dunno, if the file's missing, it should ("should" as saying that
    is what it would be best if it did, not that it really does, I haven't
    tested) regenerate it just how it should be, making that file useless.
    But maybe it copies over that file when it's missing, so it is useful. I
    dunno.
    --
    Yay!

  16. Re: Adblock Question

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/14/06 20:50, Pete wrote:
    >> So is the following reasonably correct - if you type about:config in
    >> the address bar you get a comprehensive list of preferences for the
    >> above three locations you mention, as well as some more (the bolded
    >> ones being the ones you have changed). And if you go to the
    >> "prefs.js" file in the profile folder in c:\docs and settings, and
    >> open it with notepad, you get a list of only the bolded ones I
    >> mentioned in the last sentence (i.e. the things you have changed from
    >> default). I think that's pretty close.

    > Yep. :-)
    >
    >> I don't know what the "prefs.js" in programs\moz FF\defaults\profile
    >> does (mine is blank)...Pete

    > /defaults/profile is stuff that's put in profiles when they're
    > created. The prefs.js is empty (on Linux, at least, it does have
    > comments at the top, but no real content). I guess it's put there just
    > so you will always have the comments at the top.
    >
    > But I dunno, if the file's missing, it should ("should" as saying that
    > is what it would be best if it did, not that it really does, I haven't
    > tested) regenerate it just how it should be, making that file useless.
    > But maybe it copies over that file when it's missing, so it is useful. I
    > dunno.

    Anything in the program files default folder will be used to create a
    new profile, or to replace any file found missing in an existing folder.

    The file will be populated, at first form the various js files Matt
    referred to in an earlier post.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  17. Re: Adblock Question

    Pete wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Pete wrote:

    >>>gwtc...Are you saying we are not allowed to ask questions about
    >>>extensions in the firefox ng. I see it all the time. Besides
    >>>forums suck and are too unwieldy (registration, da da da da), and
    >>>newsgroups are much more user friendly (I hope you would all agree
    >>>with that). Come on how about a break here for us "lowly" low end
    >>>users - i.e. don't put us out in the cold :-) . I find the info in the FF
    >>>ng very informative and helpful and do not
    >>>consider asking a question about an extension OT (since how the
    >>>extension works with FF is relevant IMO). The other responses in
    >>>this thread are informative and I don't think are hurting anything
    >>>and do not consider them OT.
    >>>
    >>>I do not like forums and do not use them. I like the FF ng...Pete
    >>>

    >>I'm not saying that. All I'm saying is that you might get a better
    >>response there than you can here. Furthermore, not all extensions
    >>have forums.

    > Okay!!!. You had me worried there for a while. I will stay with the FF ng.
    > You guys are extremely knowledgeable and can handle almost any issue :-)
    > ...Pete

    OK - one more question :-)

    If I'm using flashblock, is there any reason to have object
    tabs checked in Adblock?

    TIA

    Louise

  18. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > let the record show, joke or not, that today, for the first time, I
    > cautioned a user *to* snip.
    >
    > I look at it as good practice.

    (http://www.dumbphotos.com/images/Signs/hellfreeze.jpg)

    Ron

  19. Re: OT Re: Adblock Question

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Pete wrote:

    > /snip/
    >
    >> Then you've got the Lee Finger Disorder Syndrome. Its a very
    >> contagious disease.
    >>
    >> Sorry Lee, I couldn't help it ;-)

    > Please snip unnecessary quotes. Refer to the Posting Etiquette linked
    > in my sig for more information.
    >

    > I'll find some way to strike back.
    >
    > let the record show, joke or not, that today, for the first time, I
    > cautioned a user *to* snip.
    >
    > I look at it as good practice.
    >
    > Lee

    Lee...I have read a lot about snipping recently (eg the one real long
    thread). Could you kindly explain in 2 or 3 sentences (without directing me
    to a bunch of moz sites please), why you guys did not allow snipping in the
    other group (so you could keep the history so to speak - and you were
    adamant about it), and now you are adamant to say that snipping is good, and
    you encourage it.

    That is a complete 180 degree turnaround, and makes no sense to me. Are you
    basically saying that the posting rules regarding snipping for the old group
    were not appropriate and should never have been used for all that time. I
    always thought it was a waste of bytes myself, but I was just following
    orders...Pete

  20. Re: Adblock Question

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/14/06 20:50, Pete wrote:
    >> So is the following reasonably correct - if you type about:config in
    >> the address bar you get a comprehensive list of preferences for the
    >> above three locations you mention, as well as some more (the bolded
    >> ones being the ones you have changed). And if you go to the
    >> "prefs.js" file in the profile folder in c:\docs and settings, and
    >> open it with notepad, you get a list of only the bolded ones I
    >> mentioned in the last sentence (i.e. the things you have changed
    >> from default). I think that's pretty close.

    > Yep. :-)
    >
    >> I don't know what
    >> the "prefs.js" in programs\moz FF\defaults\profile does (mine is
    >> blank)...Pete

    > /defaults/profile is stuff that's put in profiles when
    > they're created. The prefs.js is empty (on Linux, at least, it does
    > have comments at the top, but no real content). I guess it's put
    > there just so you will always have the comments at the top.

    Mine has the comments also, but no real content (thats what I meant by "mine
    is blank").

    > But I dunno, if the file's missing, it should ("should" as saying that
    > is what it would be best if it did, not that it really does, I haven't
    > tested) regenerate it just how it should be, making that file useless.
    > But maybe it copies over that file when it's missing, so it is
    > useful. I dunno.

    Matt...you lost me a little here (NBD). The file is not missing...Pete