Bookmarks - Importing From IE - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Bookmarks - Importing From IE - Mozilla ; I've been using IE for years. Despite my setting to block pop-ups, a number of sites (business and politics) have found ways to deliver annoying sound and streaming video across my screen (Forbes). About a year ago, I downloaded Firefox ...

  1. Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    I've been using IE for years. Despite my setting to block pop-ups, a number
    of sites (business and politics) have found ways to deliver annoying sound
    and streaming video across my screen (Forbes). About a year ago, I
    downloaded Firefox and set it's home page to a Canadian search site; it was
    rarely used. Yesterday, I got so irritated with IE that I made FF my
    default. I like what I see. The only extensions I've added so far are that
    adblocker and it's companion auto update.

    But now I face a dilemma. The hierarchy of bookmarks on IE - since it was
    prime - is significantly greater than that on FF since I never did anything
    with FF other than follow the instructions when initially installed. I
    assume I was asked if I wanted to import the bookmarks from IE and I did so.

    My question is... is it possible to synchronize these two? If I select the
    "Import" feature on FF, I assume I'll be asked if I want to import "My
    Favorites" again. Will that overwrite what I have or is there a chance I'll
    get duplicates? I'd like to have the freedom to synchronize these two
    browsers since I do see a chance that I might still want to view certain
    sites in IE. Would I simply use the "Import" feature of both any time I
    want to synchronize?

    P.S. I just found the spellchecker on FF. Any way to turn that on
    permanently?

  2. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    John Gregory wrote:
    > I've been using IE for years. Despite my setting to block pop-ups, a number
    > of sites (business and politics) have found ways to deliver annoying sound
    > and streaming video across my screen (Forbes). About a year ago, I
    > downloaded Firefox and set it's home page to a Canadian search site; it was
    > rarely used. Yesterday, I got so irritated with IE that I made FF my
    > default. I like what I see. The only extensions I've added so far are that
    > adblocker and it's companion auto update.
    >
    > But now I face a dilemma. The hierarchy of bookmarks on IE - since it was
    > prime - is significantly greater than that on FF since I never did anything
    > with FF other than follow the instructions when initially installed. I
    > assume I was asked if I wanted to import the bookmarks from IE and I did so.
    >
    > My question is... is it possible to synchronize these two? If I select the
    > "Import" feature on FF, I assume I'll be asked if I want to import "My
    > Favorites" again. Will that overwrite what I have or is there a chance I'll
    > get duplicates? I'd like to have the freedom to synchronize these two
    > browsers since I do see a chance that I might still want to view certain
    > sites in IE. Would I simply use the "Import" feature of both any time I
    > want to synchronize?
    >
    > P.S. I just found the spellchecker on FF. Any way to turn that on
    > permanently?

    There probably are ways to keep both sets of bookmarks
    synced. But, you might want to take a look at a program
    called PowerMarks - it is an excellent search tool and can
    be used with IE and/or FF. It is $25.

    Have you updated to FF 1.5? I ask because you note that
    you've started using a version you had on your machine for a
    while. If not, you should do so before you get too involved
    in fine-tuning an older version

    There is also an extension for FF which allows you to choose
    to view any page in ie simply by choosing that option from a
    right click menu.

    Louise

  3. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    "John Gregory" wrote in
    :

    > My question is... is it possible to synchronize these two? If I
    > select the "Import" feature on FF, I assume I'll be asked if I
    > want to import "My Favorites" again. Will that overwrite what I
    > have or is there a chance I'll get duplicates? I'd like to have
    > the freedom to synchronize these two browsers since I do see a
    > chance that I might still want to view certain sites in IE. Would
    > I simply use the "Import" feature of both any time I want to
    > synchronize?

    Using Firefox to import IE favorites creates a subfolder of bookmarks
    called "From Internet Explorer". So none of your existing Fx bookmarks
    should be overwritten, but you certainly can wind up with a lot of
    dupes.

    I'm afraid I don't know of an effective way to keep Favorites synced
    with Bookmarks. You might like the PlainOldFavorites extension, which
    adds a Favorites menu to Fx.

  4. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    John Gregory wrote:

    > My question is... is it possible to synchronize these two? If I select the
    > "Import" feature on FF, I assume I'll be asked if I want to import "My
    > Favorites" again. Will that overwrite what I have or is there a chance I'll
    > get duplicates? I'd like to have the freedom to synchronize these two
    > browsers since I do see a chance that I might still want to view certain
    > sites in IE. Would I simply use the "Import" feature of both any time I
    > want to synchronize?

    You may want to try Bookmark Converter [1]. I think you can synchronize
    IE Favorites and FF Bookmarks manually.

    [1] http://www.magnusbrading.com/bmc/

  5. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    PowerMarks appears to be best suited for the task; a mini Google universe. I
    have a few concerns about where that file goes that gets created, how secure
    my system is when it transmits and receives whatever is necessary, and what
    might happen in the even PowerMark goes belly up or stops the service (the
    server). If you can add anything to this, I'd appreciate the input.

    Thanks, Louise.

    "louise" wrote in message
    news:_eydndwZsbajelrenZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > John Gregory wrote:
    >> I've been using IE for years. Despite my setting to block pop-ups, a
    >> number of sites (business and politics) have found ways to deliver
    >> annoying sound and streaming video across my screen (Forbes). About a
    >> year ago, I downloaded Firefox and set it's home page to a Canadian
    >> search site; it was rarely used. Yesterday, I got so irritated with IE
    >> that I made FF my default. I like what I see. The only extensions I've
    >> added so far are that adblocker and it's companion auto update.
    >>
    >> But now I face a dilemma. The hierarchy of bookmarks on IE - since it was
    >> prime - is significantly greater than that on FF since I never did
    >> anything with FF other than follow the instructions when initially
    >> installed. I assume I was asked if I wanted to import the bookmarks from
    >> IE and I did so.
    >>
    >> My question is... is it possible to synchronize these two? If I select
    >> the "Import" feature on FF, I assume I'll be asked if I want to import
    >> "My Favorites" again. Will that overwrite what I have or is there a
    >> chance I'll get duplicates? I'd like to have the freedom to synchronize
    >> these two browsers since I do see a chance that I might still want to
    >> view certain sites in IE. Would I simply use the "Import" feature of
    >> both any time I want to synchronize?
    >>
    >> P.S. I just found the spellchecker on FF. Any way to turn that on
    >> permanently?

    > There probably are ways to keep both sets of bookmarks synced. But, you
    > might want to take a look at a program called PowerMarks - it is an
    > excellent search tool and can be used with IE and/or FF. It is $25.
    >
    > Have you updated to FF 1.5? I ask because you note that you've started
    > using a version you had on your machine for a while. If not, you should
    > do so before you get too involved in fine-tuning an older version
    >
    > There is also an extension for FF which allows you to choose to view any
    > page in ie simply by choosing that option from a right click menu.
    >
    > Louise

  6. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    Looking again at the Powermarks site, I'm a tad confused. I can opt for a
    trial or buy it outright for $25. But then there is this statement in the
    "Browser independent bookmarks..." section where all compatible browsers are
    listed: "Participate in the Firefox 1.5 Beta test HERE". I'm using 1.5. Does
    this mean I've be paying for a beta version... or I won't be charged for the
    beta version? I assume you've been able to use Powermarks with an earlier
    version of Firefox... but the website doesn't list an earlier version; just
    the current 1.5... but it status is Beta.

    "louise" wrote in message
    news:_eydndwZsbajelrenZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > John Gregory wrote:
    >> I've been using IE for years. Despite my setting to block pop-ups, a
    >> number of sites (business and politics) have found ways to deliver
    >> annoying sound and streaming video across my screen (Forbes). About a
    >> year ago, I downloaded Firefox and set it's home page to a Canadian
    >> search site; it was rarely used. Yesterday, I got so irritated with IE
    >> that I made FF my default. I like what I see. The only extensions I've
    >> added so far are that adblocker and it's companion auto update.
    >>
    >> But now I face a dilemma. The hierarchy of bookmarks on IE - since it was
    >> prime - is significantly greater than that on FF since I never did
    >> anything with FF other than follow the instructions when initially
    >> installed. I assume I was asked if I wanted to import the bookmarks from
    >> IE and I did so.
    >>
    >> My question is... is it possible to synchronize these two? If I select
    >> the "Import" feature on FF, I assume I'll be asked if I want to import
    >> "My Favorites" again. Will that overwrite what I have or is there a
    >> chance I'll get duplicates? I'd like to have the freedom to synchronize
    >> these two browsers since I do see a chance that I might still want to
    >> view certain sites in IE. Would I simply use the "Import" feature of
    >> both any time I want to synchronize?
    >>
    >> P.S. I just found the spellchecker on FF. Any way to turn that on
    >> permanently?

    > There probably are ways to keep both sets of bookmarks synced. But, you
    > might want to take a look at a program called PowerMarks - it is an
    > excellent search tool and can be used with IE and/or FF. It is $25.
    >
    > Have you updated to FF 1.5? I ask because you note that you've started
    > using a version you had on your machine for a while. If not, you should
    > do so before you get too involved in fine-tuning an older version
    >
    > There is also an extension for FF which allows you to choose to view any
    > page in ie simply by choosing that option from a right click menu.
    >
    > Louise

  7. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    John Gregory wrote:
    > Looking again at the Powermarks site, I'm a tad confused. I can opt for a
    > trial or buy it outright for $25. But then there is this statement in the
    > "Browser independent bookmarks..." section where all compatible browsers are
    > listed: "Participate in the Firefox 1.5 Beta test HERE". I'm using 1.5. Does
    > this mean I've be paying for a beta version... or I won't be charged for the
    > beta version? I assume you've been able to use Powermarks with an earlier
    > version of Firefox... but the website doesn't list an earlier version; just
    > the current 1.5... but it status is Beta.
    >

    > "louise" wrote in message
    > news:_eydndwZsbajelrenZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >
    >>John Gregory wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've been using IE for years. Despite my setting to block pop-ups, a
    >>>number of sites (business and politics) have found ways to deliver
    >>>annoying sound and streaming video across my screen (Forbes). About a
    >>>year ago, I downloaded Firefox and set it's home page to a Canadian
    >>>search site; it was rarely used. Yesterday, I got so irritated with IE
    >>>that I made FF my default. I like what I see. The only extensions I've
    >>>added so far are that adblocker and it's companion auto update.
    >>>
    >>>But now I face a dilemma. The hierarchy of bookmarks on IE - since it was
    >>>prime - is significantly greater than that on FF since I never did
    >>>anything with FF other than follow the instructions when initially
    >>>installed. I assume I was asked if I wanted to import the bookmarks from
    >>>IE and I did so.
    >>>
    >>>My question is... is it possible to synchronize these two? If I select
    >>>the "Import" feature on FF, I assume I'll be asked if I want to import
    >>>"My Favorites" again. Will that overwrite what I have or is there a
    >>>chance I'll get duplicates? I'd like to have the freedom to synchronize
    >>>these two browsers since I do see a chance that I might still want to
    >>>view certain sites in IE. Would I simply use the "Import" feature of
    >>>both any time I want to synchronize?
    >>>
    >>>P.S. I just found the spellchecker on FF. Any way to turn that on
    >>>permanently?

    >>There probably are ways to keep both sets of bookmarks synced. But, you
    >>might want to take a look at a program called PowerMarks - it is an
    >>excellent search tool and can be used with IE and/or FF. It is $25.
    >>
    >>Have you updated to FF 1.5? I ask because you note that you've started
    >>using a version you had on your machine for a while. If not, you should
    >>do so before you get too involved in fine-tuning an older version
    >>
    >>There is also an extension for FF which allows you to choose to view any
    >>page in ie simply by choosing that option from a right click menu.
    >>
    >>Louise

    Hi,

    I wondered about everything you ask - and I'll answer as
    best as I've figured it out.

    Yes - they call it a beta AND you do pay for it. You get
    the 15 day trial just as if it weren't a beta. I decided I
    really didn't care because it's such a great tool and
    although it may technically be a beta, I've had no problems
    at all. The search capacity and keyword creation is a very
    powerful combination.

    Tonight I did a netsync between my desktop and my portable
    and it worked beautifully and very quickly - one major chore
    out of the way :-)

    I also did a netsync between ff on my desktop and IE on my
    desktop. I simply uploaded FF. Then I went to IE and
    downloaded (there were none I wanted to sync but it's a nice
    option. This too worked flawlessly.

    If their server disappears, the powermarks.html file resides
    on your machine in c:/program files/powermarks. I figure
    the worst that could happen is that the newest collection
    would have to be moved by hand to another machine.

    But I expect they'll become more and more popular and the
    html files dont take a lot of server space, so it'll
    probably be around for a while.

    Hope you decide to go with it and if you do, that you find
    it as helpful as I've been finding it.

    Louise

  8. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    Your comments are reassuring, Louise. I'll buy it this afternoon. I assume I
    just click the Firefox beta icon rather than "Ordering" and it'll guide me
    from there?

    "louise" wrote in message
    > John Gregory wrote:
    >> Looking again at the Powermarks site, I'm a tad confused. I can opt for a
    >> trial or buy it outright for $25. But then there is this statement in the
    >> "Browser independent bookmarks..." section where all compatible browsers
    >> are listed: "Participate in the Firefox 1.5 Beta test HERE". I'm using
    >> 1.5. Does this mean I've be paying for a beta version... or I won't be
    >> charged for the beta version? I assume you've been able to use Powermarks
    >> with an earlier version of Firefox... but the website doesn't list an
    >> earlier version; just the current 1.5... but it status is Beta.
    >>

    >> "louise" wrote in message
    >> news:_eydndwZsbajelrenZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>>There probably are ways to keep both sets of bookmarks synced. But, you
    >>>might want to take a look at a program called PowerMarks - it is an
    >>>excellent search tool and can be used with IE and/or FF. It is $25.
    >>>
    >>>Have you updated to FF 1.5? I ask because you note that you've started
    >>>using a version you had on your machine for a while. If not, you should
    >>>do so before you get too involved in fine-tuning an older version
    >>>
    >>>There is also an extension for FF which allows you to choose to view any
    >>>page in ie simply by choosing that option from a right click menu.
    >>>
    >>>Louise

    > Hi,
    >
    > I wondered about everything you ask - and I'll answer as best as I've
    > figured it out.
    >
    > Yes - they call it a beta AND you do pay for it. You get the 15 day trial
    > just as if it weren't a beta. I decided I really didn't care because it's
    > such a great tool and although it may technically be a beta, I've had no
    > problems at all. The search capacity and keyword creation is a very
    > powerful combination.
    >
    > Tonight I did a netsync between my desktop and my portable and it worked
    > beautifully and very quickly - one major chore out of the way :-)
    >
    > I also did a netsync between ff on my desktop and IE on my desktop. I
    > simply uploaded FF. Then I went to IE and downloaded (there were none I
    > wanted to sync but it's a nice option. This too worked flawlessly.
    >
    > If their server disappears, the powermarks.html file resides on your
    > machine in c:/program files/powermarks. I figure the worst that could
    > happen is that the newest collection would have to be moved by hand to
    > another machine.
    >
    > But I expect they'll become more and more popular and the html files dont
    > take a lot of server space, so it'll probably be around for a while.
    >
    > Hope you decide to go with it and if you do, that you find it as helpful
    > as I've been finding it.
    >
    > Louise

  9. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    John Gregory wrote:
    > Your comments are reassuring, Louise. I'll buy it this afternoon. I assume I
    > just click the Firefox beta icon rather than "Ordering" and it'll guide me
    > from there?
    >
    > "louise" wrote in message
    >
    >>John Gregory wrote:
    >>
    >>>Looking again at the Powermarks site, I'm a tad confused. I can opt for a
    >>>trial or buy it outright for $25. But then there is this statement in the
    >>>"Browser independent bookmarks..." section where all compatible browsers
    >>>are listed: "Participate in the Firefox 1.5 Beta test HERE". I'm using
    >>>1.5. Does this mean I've be paying for a beta version... or I won't be
    >>>charged for the beta version? I assume you've been able to use Powermarks
    >>>with an earlier version of Firefox... but the website doesn't list an
    >>>earlier version; just the current 1.5... but it status is Beta.
    >>>

    >>>"louise" wrote in message
    >>>news:_eydndwZsbajelrenZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I wondered about everything you ask - and I'll answer as best as I've
    >>figured it out.
    >>
    >>Yes - they call it a beta AND you do pay for it. You get the 15 day trial
    >>just as if it weren't a beta. I decided I really didn't care because it's
    >>such a great tool and although it may technically be a beta, I've had no
    >>problems at all. The search capacity and keyword creation is a very
    >>powerful combination.
    >>
    >>Tonight I did a netsync between my desktop and my portable and it worked
    >>beautifully and very quickly - one major chore out of the way :-)
    >>
    >>I also did a netsync between ff on my desktop and IE on my desktop. I
    >>simply uploaded FF. Then I went to IE and downloaded (there were none I
    >>wanted to sync but it's a nice option. This too worked flawlessly.
    >>
    >>If their server disappears, the powermarks.html file resides on your
    >>machine in c:/program files/powermarks. I figure the worst that could
    >>happen is that the newest collection would have to be moved by hand to
    >>another machine.
    >>
    >>But I expect they'll become more and more popular and the html files dont
    >>take a lot of server space, so it'll probably be around for a while.
    >>
    >>Hope you decide to go with it and if you do, that you find it as helpful
    >>as I've been finding it.
    >>
    >>Louise

    Yes - that's what I did and it worked fine. Only difference
    is that until you purchase it and install your key code,
    PowerMarks opens with a little window that tells you how
    many days you have left of your trial. After you buy it and
    install the code, it opens without the reminder window.

    Hope you find it worthwhile.

    Louise

  10. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    I've read the Keystroke Index but can't find a key combination to use that
    brings up the Powermarks window to start a search. Is there one? Also, when
    my window opens first opens, "Days Used" shows "0" so I suppose tomorrow
    that will change to "1" and continue for as long as there is a free trial
    (which is what... 30 days?)

    "louise" wrote in message
    > John Gregory wrote:
    >> Your comments are reassuring, Louise. I'll buy it this afternoon. I
    >> assume I just click the Firefox beta icon rather than "Ordering" and
    >> it'll guide me from there?
    >>
    >> "louise" wrote in message

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I wondered about everything you ask - and I'll answer as best as I've
    >>>figured it out.
    >>>
    >>>Yes - they call it a beta AND you do pay for it. You get the 15 day
    >>>trial just as if it weren't a beta. I decided I really didn't care
    >>>because it's such a great tool and although it may technically be a beta,
    >>>I've had no problems at all. The search capacity and keyword creation is
    >>>a very powerful combination.
    >>>
    >>>Tonight I did a netsync between my desktop and my portable and it worked
    >>>beautifully and very quickly - one major chore out of the way :-)
    >>>
    >>>I also did a netsync between ff on my desktop and IE on my desktop. I
    >>>simply uploaded FF. Then I went to IE and downloaded (there were none I
    >>>wanted to sync but it's a nice option. This too worked flawlessly.
    >>>
    >>>If their server disappears, the powermarks.html file resides on your
    >>>machine in c:/program files/powermarks. I figure the worst that could
    >>>happen is that the newest collection would have to be moved by hand to
    >>>another machine.
    >>>
    >>>But I expect they'll become more and more popular and the html files dont
    >>>take a lot of server space, so it'll probably be around for a while.
    >>>
    >>>Hope you decide to go with it and if you do, that you find it as helpful
    >>>as I've been finding it.
    >>>
    >>>Louise
    >>>

    > Yes - that's what I did and it worked fine. Only difference is that until
    > you purchase it and install your key code, PowerMarks opens with a little
    > window that tells you how many days you have left of your trial. After
    > you buy it and install the code, it opens without the reminder window.
    >
    > Hope you find it worthwhile.
    >
    > Louise

  11. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    John Gregory wrote:
    > I've read the Keystroke Index but can't find a key combination to use that
    > brings up the Powermarks window to start a search. Is there one? Also, when
    > my window opens first opens, "Days Used" shows "0" so I suppose tomorrow
    > that will change to "1" and continue for as long as there is a free trial
    > (which is what... 30 days?)
    >
    > "louise" wrote in message
    >
    >>John Gregory wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your comments are reassuring, Louise. I'll buy it this afternoon. I
    >>>assume I just click the Firefox beta icon rather than "Ordering" and
    >>>it'll guide me from there?
    >>>
    >>>"louise" wrote in message

    >>Yes - that's what I did and it worked fine. Only difference is that until
    >>you purchase it and install your key code, PowerMarks opens with a little
    >>window that tells you how many days you have left of your trial. After
    >>you buy it and install the code, it opens without the reminder window.
    >>
    >>Hope you find it worthwhile.
    >>
    >>Louise

    Powermarks puts three icons on the toolbar. It starts out
    making its own powermarks toolbar - which uses extra screen
    real estate. However, I found that by using
    view/toolbars/customize, I could drag the three icons onto
    the menu toolbar (to the right of help).

    Then, since the icons are on the menu toolbar, you can go to
    view/toolbars and uncheck the separate powermarks toolbar.
    This means you don't have a separate row for the powermarks
    icons and yet, they remain completely available. on the menu
    toolbar.

    I don't know of a keyboard shortcut for them. You could
    send an email to Kaylon tech support and ask - there may abe
    one, or they may take your suggestion for the next version.
    It's a good idea. You don't have to have purchased the
    program to contact them.

    Yes, I expect that tomorrow your trial copy will say 1 day
    used, then 2 days etc. My memory is that the trial is 14
    days (not 30). During this trial period, they will send an
    email with a password for the netsync server so you can try
    that out.

    Louise

  12. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    I may want to experiment with using PM to search for selected documents as
    well as for bookmarks so I may drag the icon on my desktop to the control
    panel at the bottom of my desktop.

    I noticed that PM icons don't appear on my Netscape browser but they do on
    Internet Explorer and, of course, FireFox. I don't use Netscape much but an
    article I was reading in FF rewired an add-in I didn't want to install so I
    pulled it up in Netscape and noticed the PM icons missing. Do I have to do
    something special to get them to appear... or installed? I thought I saw
    Netscape listed during the PM installation.

    I also find that a number of the searches I make don't give me the results I
    want so I pull up Favorites in IE, examine the hierarchy, then go back to PM
    and add a key word or two. Did you have to do that a lot at first?

    "louise" wrote in message
    > John Gregory wrote:
    >> I've read the Keystroke Index but can't find a key combination to use
    >> that brings up the Powermarks window to start a search. Is there one?
    >> Also, when my window opens first opens, "Days Used" shows "0" so I
    >> suppose tomorrow that will change to "1" and continue for as long as
    >> there is a free trial (which is what... 30 days?)
    >>
    >> "louise" wrote in message

    >>>Yes - that's what I did and it worked fine. Only difference is that
    >>>until you purchase it and install your key code, PowerMarks opens with a
    >>>little window that tells you how many days you have left of your trial.
    >>>After you buy it and install the code, it opens without the reminder
    >>>window.
    >>>
    >>>Hope you find it worthwhile.
    >>>
    >>>Louise

    > Powermarks puts three icons on the toolbar. It starts out making its own
    > powermarks toolbar - which uses extra screen real estate. However, I
    > found that by using view/toolbars/customize, I could drag the three icons
    > onto the menu toolbar (to the right of help).
    >
    > Then, since the icons are on the menu toolbar, you can go to view/toolbars
    > and uncheck the separate powermarks toolbar. This means you don't have a
    > separate row for the powermarks icons and yet, they remain completely
    > available. on the menu toolbar.
    >
    > I don't know of a keyboard shortcut for them. You could send an email to
    > Kaylon tech support and ask - there may abe one, or they may take your
    > suggestion for the next version. It's a good idea. You don't have to have
    > purchased the program to contact them.
    >
    > Yes, I expect that tomorrow your trial copy will say 1 day used, then 2
    > days etc. My memory is that the trial is 14 days (not 30). During this
    > trial period, they will send an email with a password for the netsync
    > server so you can try that out.
    >
    > Louise

  13. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    John Gregory wrote:
    > I may want to experiment with using PM to search for selected documents as
    > well as for bookmarks so I may drag the icon on my desktop to the control
    > panel at the bottom of my desktop.
    >
    > I noticed that PM icons don't appear on my Netscape browser but they do on
    > Internet Explorer and, of course, FireFox. I don't use Netscape much but an
    > article I was reading in FF rewired an add-in I didn't want to install so I
    > pulled it up in Netscape and noticed the PM icons missing. Do I have to do
    > something special to get them to appear... or installed? I thought I saw
    > Netscape listed during the PM installation.
    >
    > I also find that a number of the searches I make don't give me the results I
    > want so I pull up Favorites in IE, examine the hierarchy, then go back to PM
    > and add a key word or two. Did you have to do that a lot at first?
    >
    > "louise" wrote in message
    >
    >>John Gregory wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've read the Keystroke Index but can't find a key combination to use
    >>>that brings up the Powermarks window to start a search. Is there one?
    >>>Also, when my window opens first opens, "Days Used" shows "0" so I
    >>>suppose tomorrow that will change to "1" and continue for as long as
    >>>there is a free trial (which is what... 30 days?)
    >>>
    >>>"louise" wrote in message

    >>Powermarks puts three icons on the toolbar. It starts out making its own
    >>powermarks toolbar - which uses extra screen real estate. However, I
    >>found that by using view/toolbars/customize, I could drag the three icons
    >>onto the menu toolbar (to the right of help).
    >>
    >>Then, since the icons are on the menu toolbar, you can go to view/toolbars
    >>and uncheck the separate powermarks toolbar. This means you don't have a
    >>separate row for the powermarks icons and yet, they remain completely
    >>available. on the menu toolbar.
    >>
    >>I don't know of a keyboard shortcut for them. You could send an email to
    >>Kaylon tech support and ask - there may abe one, or they may take your
    >>suggestion for the next version. It's a good idea. You don't have to have
    >>purchased the program to contact them.
    >>
    >>Yes, I expect that tomorrow your trial copy will say 1 day used, then 2
    >>days etc. My memory is that the trial is 14 days (not 30). During this
    >>trial period, they will send an email with a password for the netsync
    >>server so you can try that out.
    >>
    >>Louise

    I don't run Netscape so I really don't know - it looks like
    they should - maybe check your options and/or preferences?

    I don't think PM is for anything but browser bookmarks - I
    don't think it will search your entire system.

    Yes - I found sometimes I didn't have the "right" keywords
    until I became accustomed to using it. Now, when I bookmark
    something, I'm sure to put in words that would be good
    keywords for me, to begin with.

    Louise

  14. Re: Bookmarks - Importing From IE

    >>I don't think PM is for anything but browser bookmarks - I
    don't think it will search your entire system<<

    This is listed as a feature from the Help file, Louise. Don't know much
    about it yet. Maybe tomorrow.

    a.. Drag and drop files from Windows Explorer and use Powermarks to track
    them. Works for any type of file, such as Office documents.
    >> I don't run Netscape so I really don't know - it looks like

    > they should - maybe check your options and/or preferences?<<

    Not there. IT remains a mystery. I'll find it... eventually.

    Thanks for all your help. The product looks good so far.

+ Reply to Thread