unknown tabs open up at startup - Mozilla

This is a discussion on unknown tabs open up at startup - Mozilla ; whenever i open firefox, 3 tabs automatically open up pointing to - file:///C:/Program http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%...=UTF-8&q=files http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%...TF-8&q=firefox i have set homepage to about :blank. have also checked other possible sources(like ini files and config files) but couldnt find the reason as to ...

  1. unknown tabs open up at startup

    whenever i open firefox, 3 tabs automatically open up pointing to -

    file:///C:/Program
    http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%...=UTF-8&q=files
    http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%...TF-8&q=firefox

    i have set homepage to about:blank. have also checked other possible
    sources(like ini files and config files) but couldnt find the reason as
    to why they open up. this happens every time. if i use safe mode then it
    is clean.

    initially i neglected it for lack of enough time to deal with it; but
    now it's getting irritating.

    what is this? spyware? but spyware doctor doesnt detect any.

  2. Re: unknown tabs open up at startup

    Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
    > whenever i open firefox, 3 tabs automatically open up pointing to -
    >
    > file:///C:/Program
    > http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%...=UTF-8&q=files
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%...TF-8&q=firefox
    >

    > i have set homepage to about:blank. have also checked other possible
    > sources(like ini files and config files) but couldnt find the reason as
    > to why they open up. this happens every time. if i use safe mode then it
    > is clean.
    >
    > initially i neglected it for lack of enough time to deal with it; but
    > now it's getting irritating.
    >
    > what is this? spyware? but spyware doctor doesnt detect any.

    Fudge, I just answered this at the old group. In this group, look for
    Chris Ilias's post on Home page versus Start page. You should find your
    answer there as well.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: unknown tabs open up at startup

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
    >
    >>whenever i open firefox, 3 tabs automatically open up pointing to -
    >>
    >>file:///C:/Program
    >>http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%...=UTF-8&q=files
    >>
    >>http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%...TF-8&q=firefox
    >>

    >>i have set homepage to about:blank. have also checked other possible
    >>sources(like ini files and config files) but couldnt find the reason as
    >>to why they open up. this happens every time. if i use safe mode then it
    >>is clean.
    >>
    >>initially i neglected it for lack of enough time to deal with it; but
    >>now it's getting irritating.
    >>
    >>what is this? spyware? but spyware doctor doesnt detect any.

    > Fudge, I just answered this at the old group. In this group, look for
    > Chris Ilias's post on Home page versus Start page. You should find your
    > answer there as well.
    >
    > Lee

    I guess we're going to get multi postings now -- here and on the
    secnews server.

  4. Re: unknown tabs open up at startup

    _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 4:36 PM:
    > I guess we're going to get multi postings now -- here and on the secnews
    > server.

    The intent is to abandon those groups, which is why I'm no longer doing
    tech support on the secnews mozilla support groups. I'll post a reminder
    next week.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help

  5. Re: unknown tabs open up at startup

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Fudge, I just answered this at the old group. In this group, look for
    > Chris Ilias's post on Home page versus Start page. You should find your
    > answer there as well.
    >
    > Lee

    i changed browser.startup.page in about:config but thost tabs r still
    there. all three of them.

    and i m a new subsciber to this newsgroup. so i dont have old archives
    (or i dont know how to find them if they r not listed in google groups)

  6. Re: unknown tabs open up at startup

    Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:

    /snip/

    > i changed browser.startup.page in about:config but thost tabs r still
    > there. all three of them.
    >
    > and i m a new subsciber to this newsgroup. so i dont have old archives
    > (or i dont know how to find them if they r not listed in google groups)

    The group has existed for about a day. Archives are not an issue at this
    point

    I really don't know what is causing your problem. Try starting in safe
    Mode, and test it. That would show us if there is a problem extension.
    I doubt it, but lets rule it out.

    Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox>>Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)

    If that gets things working, report back here. If it doesn't, create a
    new profile for test purposes:

    To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe
    -p in the field, and click OK. Note the space after exe, it is important.

    Test the Start/Home page functions, and report back.

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  7. Re: unknown tabs open up at startup

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>

    > /snip/
    >>
    >> i changed browser.startup.page in about:config but thost tabs r still
    >> there. all three of them.
    >>
    >> and i m a new subsciber to this newsgroup. so i dont have old archives
    >> (or i dont know how to find them if they r not listed in google groups)

    > The group has existed for about a day. Archives are not an issue at this
    > point
    >
    > I really don't know what is causing your problem. Try starting in safe
    > Mode, and test it. That would show us if there is a problem extension. I
    > doubt it, but lets rule it out.
    >
    > Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox>>Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)
    >
    > If that gets things working, report back here. If it doesn't, create a
    > new profile for test purposes:
    >
    > To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe
    > -p in the field, and click OK. Note the space after exe, it is important.
    >
    > Test the Start/Home page functions, and report back.
    >
    > Lee

    I have seen this symptom in NS8, but never with FF. It required a new
    profile to fix.

  8. Re: unknown tabs open up at startup

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > The group has existed for about a day. Archives are not an issue at this
    > point

    the issue of archives was in relation to the 'Chris Ilias's post' that u
    asked me to refer to. i couldnt find it.

    > I really don't know what is causing your problem. Try starting in safe
    > Mode, and test it. That would show us if there is a problem extension.

    yeah, this thing i forgot to mention. there r no unwanted tabs in safe
    mode. i have following extensions installed - DOM Inspector 1.8, PDF
    Downloader 0.5.1.2, Talkback 1.5
    i disabled them, but still the tabs r there.

    i m trying the rest, and will let u know of the results.

    -
    Shreyas

  9. Re: unknown tabs open up at startup

    oh i found it. apparently, nobody else could have!!!

    the problem was the shortcut that i was using. it had it's 'Parameters'
    set to 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox' !!! damn thing!

    obviously firefox was using those command line args as a request and
    hence the three tabs.

    some smarter fellow had been seemingly researching on my pc and i can
    imagine who that possibly can be. :-)

    anyway, really sorry for the trouble guys and thanks for ur timely

    -
    Shreyas

  10. Re: unknown tabs open up at startup

    Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
    > oh i found it. apparently, nobody else could have!!!
    >
    > the problem was the shortcut that i was using. it had it's 'Parameters'
    > set to 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox' !!! damn thing!
    >
    > obviously firefox was using those command line args as a request and
    > hence the three tabs.
    >
    > some smarter fellow had been seemingly researching on my pc and i can
    > imagine who that possibly can be. :-)
    >
    > anyway, really sorry for the trouble guys and thanks for ur timely
    >
    > -
    > Shreyas

    So when you started in Safe Mode, you weren't using the shortcut, so you
    didn't have the problem.

    Thank you so much for getting back to us with the resolutions, this one
    was really puzzling me.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  11. Re: unknown tabs open up at startup

    On 01/13/06 08:18, Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
    > oh i found it. apparently, nobody else could have!!!
    >
    > the problem was the shortcut that i was using. it had it's 'Parameters'
    > set to 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox' !!! damn thing!
    >
    > obviously firefox was using those command line args as a request and
    > hence the three tabs.
    >
    > some smarter fellow had been seemingly researching on my pc and i can
    > imagine who that possibly can be. :-)
    >
    > anyway, really sorry for the trouble guys and thanks for ur timely

    Ha! I figured it out. :-D

    And, don't worry about it. You weren't any trouble. We're here to help,
    and it's fun to see a user figure something out for themselves, even if
    it means their posting here was useless. :-)

    BTW, the proper signature delimiter is "-- ", not just "- ".
    --
    Yay!

  12. Re: unknown tabs open up at startup

    Shreyas Kulkarni <"shyran[__at__]gmail[__dot__]com"> wrote in
    JOdnXaIjI4kNVreRVn-gg@mozilla.org>:

    > the problem was the shortcut that i was using. it had it's
    > 'Parameters' set to 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox' !!! damn
    > thing!
    >
    > obviously firefox was using those command line args as a request
    > and hence the three tabs.

    I'll add my thanks for posting your solution. I didn't know that Fx
    would take multiple URL input like that, and it's good to know.
    (Internally, Fx uses | characters for multiple URLs in bookmarks &c.,
    but that's not so good for use on command lines, where they mean
    something else.)