Firefox with broken QFlags... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox with broken QFlags... - Mozilla ; FF1.5 works great except it would not load QT (QuickTime) banners properly. For example, at CNN.com, the head banner and several major windows driven by QT would not load except displaying a broken QFlag. Yet in TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOWNLOADS/EDIT ACTIONS the browser ...

  1. Firefox with broken QFlags...

    FF1.5 works great except it would not load QT (QuickTime) banners properly. For
    example, at CNN.com, the head banner and several major windows driven by QT
    would not load except displaying a broken QFlag. Yet in
    TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOWNLOADS/EDIT ACTIONS the browser shows QT plug ins galore.

    Anyone know if there is initiation or java (.ini or .js) file that needs to be
    modified & if so, can anyone help out on how, what, & where?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Firefox with broken QFlags...

    USA wrote:
    > FF1.5 works great except it would not load QT (QuickTime) banners
    > properly. For example, at CNN.com, the head banner and several major
    > windows driven by QT would not load except displaying a broken QFlag.
    > Yet in TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOWNLOADS/EDIT ACTIONS the browser shows QT plug
    > ins galore.
    >
    > Anyone know if there is initiation or java (.ini or .js) file that needs
    > to be modified & if so, can anyone help out on how, what, & where?
    >
    > Thank you.

    http://www.cnn.com/

    I don't see any QT files, only animated gifs.

    I'll take a guess though. One of the things QT does is to grab the file
    association for swf files, which, properly, should be handled through
    the Flash plugin.

    Control Panel>>Quick Time.

    Make sure QT is not grabbing the swf association.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: Firefox with broken QFlags...

    It worked, 98%. Most of what did not load on CNN loaded after I disassociated
    swf. Good call. However, that one panel in middle right hand column under MORE
    NEWS titled WATCH VIDEO is still incorrectly associated.

    Any suggestion on what extension should I disable? I have not tried disabling
    all yet but that is an experiment.

    Thank you.

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > USA wrote:
    >
    >> FF1.5 works great except it would not load QT (QuickTime) banners
    >> properly. For example, at CNN.com, the head banner and several major
    >> windows driven by QT would not load except displaying a broken QFlag.
    >> Yet in TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOWNLOADS/EDIT ACTIONS the browser shows QT plug
    >> ins galore.
    >>
    >> Anyone know if there is initiation or java (.ini or .js) file that
    >> needs to be modified & if so, can anyone help out on how, what, & where?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > http://www.cnn.com/
    >
    > I don't see any QT files, only animated gifs.
    >
    > I'll take a guess though. One of the things QT does is to grab the file
    > association for swf files, which, properly, should be handled through
    > the Flash plugin.
    >
    > Control Panel>>Quick Time.
    >
    > Make sure QT is not grabbing the swf association.
    >
    > Lee

  4. Re: Firefox with broken QFlags...

    USA wrote:
    > It worked, 98%. Most of what did not load on CNN loaded after I
    > disassociated swf. Good call. However, that one panel in middle right
    > hand column under MORE NEWS titled WATCH VIDEO is still incorrectly
    > associated.
    >
    > Any suggestion on what extension should I disable? I have not tried
    > disabling all yet but that is an experiment.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> USA wrote:

    /snip/

    Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post your
    reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here. This is the group
    preference. See the Posting Etiquette, as linked in my sig, for more
    information. Thank you for your consideration.

    I am so glad that worked for you, I thought it would.

    The video requires Windows Media Player. Do you have it installed and
    set up as a Firefox Plugin?

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  5. Re: Firefox with broken QFlags...

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > USA wrote:
    >
    >> It worked, 98%. Most of what did not load on CNN loaded after I
    >> disassociated swf. Good call. However, that one panel in middle right
    >> hand column under MORE NEWS titled WATCH VIDEO is still incorrectly
    >> associated.
    >>
    >> Any suggestion on what extension should I disable? I have not tried
    >> disabling all yet but that is an experiment.
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>

    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> USA wrote:

    > /snip/
    >
    > Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post your
    > reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here. This is the group
    > preference. See the Posting Etiquette, as linked in my sig, for more
    > information. Thank you for your consideration.
    >

    > I am so glad that worked for you, I thought it would.
    >
    > The video requires Windows Media Player. Do you have it installed and
    > set up as a Firefox Plugin?
    >
    > Lee

    Sorry. Apologize.

    I looked at the plugins, can anyone advise on which extension to associate to
    Win Media & which to not? Also, right clicking on that WATCH VIDEO panel got a
    Flash dialog box. So should this be a Shockwave extension of sort?

    Thank you.

  6. Re: Firefox with broken QFlags...

    USA wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> USA wrote:
    >>
    >>> It worked, 98%. Most of what did not load on CNN loaded after I
    >>> disassociated swf. Good call. However, that one panel in middle right
    >>> hand column under MORE NEWS titled WATCH VIDEO is still incorrectly
    >>> associated.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestion on what extension should I disable? I have not tried
    >>> disabling all yet but that is an experiment.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

    >> /snip/
    >>
    >> Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post
    >> your reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here. This is the
    >> group preference. See the Posting Etiquette, as linked in my sig, for
    >> more information. Thank you for your consideration.
    >>

    >> I am so glad that worked for you, I thought it would.
    >>
    >> The video requires Windows Media Player. Do you have it installed and
    >> set up as a Firefox Plugin?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Sorry. Apologize.
    >
    > I looked at the plugins, can anyone advise on which extension to
    > associate to Win Media & which to not? Also, right clicking on that
    > WATCH VIDEO panel got a Flash dialog box. So should this be a Shockwave
    > extension of sort?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Extensions and plugins are not the same thing. l)

    Type aboutlugins in the location bar, and see what it says about
    windows media player.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  7. Re: Firefox with broken QFlags...

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > USA wrote:

    >>> /snip/
    >>>
    >>> Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post
    >>> your reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here. This is
    >>> the group preference. See the Posting Etiquette, as linked in my
    >>> sig, for more information. Thank you for your consideration.
    >>>

    >>> I am so glad that worked for you, I thought it would.
    >>>
    >>> The video requires Windows Media Player. Do you have it installed
    >>> and set up as a Firefox Plugin?
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Sorry. Apologize.
    >>
    >> I looked at the plugins, can anyone advise on which extension to
    >> associate to Win Media & which to not? Also, right clicking on that
    >> WATCH VIDEO panel got a Flash dialog box. So should this be a
    >> Shockwave extension of sort?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > Extensions and plugins are not the same thing. l)
    >
    > Type aboutlugins in the location bar, and see what it says about
    > windows media player.
    >
    > Lee

    I understand. I was referring to the "file" extensions in the Download Actions
    dialog box as in dot swf. Sorry I should have been clear.

    I fixed it. I just uninstalled QT7. Everything works now & that CNN page loads
    fully as it does like my other browsers. The Download Actions box is now only
    half a page as compared with 3 pages before. I am considering adding back QT but
    an earlier version instead. Not sure yet, just going to cruise in FF for a while.

    Thank you very much.

  8. Re: Firefox with broken QFlags...

    USA wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> USA wrote:

    /snip/

    > I fixed it. I just uninstalled QT7. Everything works now & that CNN page
    > loads fully as it does like my other browsers. The Download Actions box
    > is now only half a page as compared with 3 pages before. I am
    > considering adding back QT but an earlier version instead. Not sure yet,
    > just going to cruise in FF for a while.
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    I am very glad to hear its working for you!

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  9. Re: Firefox with broken QFlags...

    USA wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >>USA wrote:

    >>>Sorry. Apologize.
    >>>
    >>>I looked at the plugins, can anyone advise on which extension to
    >>>associate to Win Media & which to not? Also, right clicking on that
    >>>WATCH VIDEO panel got a Flash dialog box. So should this be a
    >>>Shockwave extension of sort?
    >>>
    >>>Thank you.

    >>Extensions and plugins are not the same thing. l)
    >>
    >>Type aboutlugins in the location bar, and see what it says about
    >>windows media player.
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>

    > I understand. I was referring to the "file" extensions in the Download Actions
    > dialog box as in dot swf. Sorry I should have been clear.
    >
    > I fixed it. I just uninstalled QT7. Everything works now & that CNN page loads
    > fully as it does like my other browsers. The Download Actions box is now only
    > half a page as compared with 3 pages before. I am considering adding back QT but
    > an earlier version instead. Not sure yet, just going to cruise in FF for a while.
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    you might want to look into Alternative QuickTime:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

  10. Re: Firefox with broken QFlags...

    Thanks, I will explore that.

+ Reply to Thread