How to create keyboard shortcuts that bind to links? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to create keyboard shortcuts that bind to links? - Mozilla ; I would like to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to follow certain links on webpages. The most common case is for a multi-page web article, where each page has a link called "next". These are often in different ...

  1. How to create keyboard shortcuts that bind to links?

    I would like to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to follow
    certain links on webpages.

    The most common case is for a multi-page web article, where each page
    has a link called "next". These are often in different positions on
    each page. It would be very handy to have a single key-press act the
    same as clicking the link, rather than using the mouse.

    Ideally, the web link text that is bound to a key would be
    configurable on a per-website basis.

    Has anybody seen an extension that would allow this capability with
    Firefox or Mozilla? If nothing exists, what would be the easiest
    approach to implementing it?

    thanks, t

  2. Re: How to create keyboard shortcuts that bind to links?

    t wrote:

    > I would like to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to follow
    > certain links on webpages.
    >
    > The most common case is for a multi-page web article, where each page
    > has a link called "next". These are often in different positions on
    > each page. It would be very handy to have a single key-press act the
    > same as clicking the link, rather than using the mouse.
    >
    > Ideally, the web link text that is bound to a key would be
    > configurable on a per-website basis.
    >
    > Has anybody seen an extension that would allow this capability with
    > Firefox or Mozilla? If nothing exists, what would be the easiest
    > approach to implementing it?
    >
    > thanks, t

    There are keyboard shortcuts:
    For Moz: http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/moz_shortcuts.html
    For FF: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard

    Or, there is the Keyboard Shortcut changer -- keyconfig:

  3. Re: How to create keyboard shortcuts that bind to links?

    On 01/11/06 16:15, gwtc wrote:
    > t wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to follow
    >> certain links on webpages.
    >> The most common case is for a multi-page web article, where each page
    >> has a link called "next". These are often in different positions on
    >> each page. It would be very handy to have a single key-press act the
    >> same as clicking the link, rather than using the mouse.
    >> Ideally, the web link text that is bound to a key would be
    >> configurable on a per-website basis.
    >>
    >> Has anybody seen an extension that would allow this capability with
    >> Firefox or Mozilla? If nothing exists, what would be the easiest
    >> approach to implementing it?
    >>
    >> thanks, t
    >>

    > There are keyboard shortcuts:
    > For Moz: http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/moz_shortcuts.html
    > For FF: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard
    >
    > Or, there is the Keyboard Shortcut changer -- keyconfig:
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=72994

    Personally, I use the version of keyconfig from
    .
    Seems to have some improvements over the version you linked.
    --
    Yay!

  4. Re: How to create keyboard shortcuts that bind to links?

    t writes:

    > I would like to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to follow
    > certain links on webpages.
    >
    > The most common case is for a multi-page web article, where each page
    > has a link called "next". These are often in different positions on
    > each page. It would be very handy to have a single key-press act the
    > same as clicking the link, rather than using the mouse.
    >
    > Ideally, the web link text that is bound to a key would be
    > configurable on a per-website basis.
    >
    > Has anybody seen an extension that would allow this capability with
    > Firefox or Mozilla? If nothing exists, what would be the easiest
    > approach to implementing it?

    I haven't seen a general solution to your problem. But the specific
    case of navigational links are handled by the Link Toolbar extension.

    http://cdn.mozdev.org/linkToolbar/

    It's primary purpose is adding a toolbar in the statusbar of Firefox
    with buttons corresponding to link-tags in web pages. But since not
    that many pages use these tags it can also scan pages for probable
    navigational links. (This was formerly a separate extension: Linkit.)
    On top of this it adds keyboard bindings to some of these links,
    namely:

    alt+pgup/pgdown for previous/next
    alt+shift+pgup/pgdown for first/last
    alt+up for up
    alt+shift+up for top (typically main page of site)

    Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a version for Firefox 1.5 ready
    yet

    Another option is to get used to using "Find As You Type" and maybe
    tweak some of it's options. In case you don't know pressing ' (yes,
    that is an apostrophe) puts you in a "link find mode", meaning that
    writing "next" will choose the link "next" and then you can press
    enter to follow the link.
    An overview:
    http://www.squarefree.com/burningedg...7/find-toolbar

    A rather technical description including preferences can be found
    here: http://www.mozilla.org/access/type-ahead/
    Note though that it describes the functionality in Mozilla Suite, in
    Firefox the defaults are sligtly different.

    --
    - Mårten

    mail: msv@kth.se *** ICQ: 4356928 *** mobile: +46 (0)707390385

  5. Re: How to create keyboard shortcuts that bind to links?

    > Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a version for Firefox 1.5 ready
    > yet

    It's there now.

    http://cdn.mozdev.org/linkToolbar/

    Exactly what was asked for.