Resizing window - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Resizing window - Mozilla ; When I opened Firefox this morning, there was a gap of about an inch between the bottom of the Firefox window and the task bar at the bottom of the screen. I have tried maximizing Firefox. I have tried to ...

  1. Resizing window

    When I opened Firefox this morning, there was a gap of about an inch
    between the bottom of the Firefox window and the task bar at the bottom
    of the screen. I have tried maximizing Firefox. I have tried to
    maximize it using the bottom right corner, etc. It still shows up with
    this gap. I have been using version 1.5 since it came out and this is
    the first time I've had a problem. Any suggestions on how to get it to
    open all the way? I don't think I've made any changes in Windows 2000
    that would cause this to happen. Other applications including
    Thunderbird open normally.

  2. Re: Resizing window

    On 01/11/06 12:20, Robin Garfinkel wrote:
    > When I opened Firefox this morning, there was a gap of about an inch
    > between the bottom of the Firefox window and the task bar at the bottom
    > of the screen. I have tried maximizing Firefox. I have tried to
    > maximize it using the bottom right corner, etc. It still shows up with
    > this gap. I have been using version 1.5 since it came out and this is
    > the first time I've had a problem. Any suggestions on how to get it to
    > open all the way? I don't think I've made any changes in Windows 2000
    > that would cause this to happen. Other applications including
    > Thunderbird open normally.

    You sure you haven't updated any extensions or themes or anything?
    --
    Yay!

  3. Re: Resizing window

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/11/06 12:20, Robin Garfinkel wrote:
    >
    >> When I opened Firefox this morning, there was a gap of about an inch
    >> between the bottom of the Firefox window and the task bar at the
    >> bottom of the screen. I have tried maximizing Firefox. I have tried
    >> to maximize it using the bottom right corner, etc. It still shows up
    >> with this gap. I have been using version 1.5 since it came out and
    >> this is the first time I've had a problem. Any suggestions on how to
    >> get it to open all the way? I don't think I've made any changes in
    >> Windows 2000 that would cause this to happen. Other applications
    >> including Thunderbird open normally.

    > You sure you haven't updated any extensions or themes or anything?

    Yes.

  4. Re: Resizing window

    Robin Garfinkel wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >> On 01/11/06 12:20, Robin Garfinkel wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I opened Firefox this morning, there was a gap of about an inch
    >>> between the bottom of the Firefox window and the task bar at the
    >>> bottom of the screen. I have tried maximizing Firefox. I have tried
    >>> to maximize it using the bottom right corner, etc. It still shows up
    >>> with this gap. I have been using version 1.5 since it came out and
    >>> this is the first time I've had a problem. Any suggestions on how to
    >>> get it to open all the way? I don't think I've made any changes in
    >>> Windows 2000 that would cause this to happen. Other applications
    >>> including Thunderbird open normally.

    >> You sure you haven't updated any extensions or themes or anything?

    > Yes.

    Did you change the screen resolution with FF open? Even if changed back
    it may have caused that problem. Also, try opening in FF safe mode Start
    > All Programs > Firefox > Firefox (Safe Mode) and see if the problem

    is still there.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org

    .. http://ilias.ca/mozilla/

    .. http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

  5. Re: Resizing window

    On 01/11/06 12:20, Robin Garfinkel wrote:
    > When I opened Firefox this morning, there was a gap of about an inch
    > between the bottom of the Firefox window and the task bar at the bottom
    > of the screen. I have tried maximizing Firefox. I have tried to
    > maximize it using the bottom right corner, etc. It still shows up with
    > this gap. I have been using version 1.5 since it came out and this is
    > the first time I've had a problem. Any suggestions on how to get it to
    > open all the way? I don't think I've made any changes in Windows 2000
    > that would cause this to happen. Other applications including
    > Thunderbird open normally.

    Ooooooh. You said the empty space is between the outside edge of the
    Firefox window an the taskbar. I misunderstood you as meaning it was
    between the status bar and inside edge of the bottom of the window.
    Never mind!
    --
    Yay!

  6. Re: Resizing window

    On 1/11/2006 9:20 AM On a whim, Robin Garfinkel pounded out on the keyboard

    > When I opened Firefox this morning, there was a gap of about an inch
    > between the bottom of the Firefox window and the task bar at the bottom
    > of the screen. I have tried maximizing Firefox. I have tried to
    > maximize it using the bottom right corner, etc. It still shows up with
    > this gap. I have been using version 1.5 since it came out and this is
    > the first time I've had a problem. Any suggestions on how to get it to
    > open all the way? I don't think I've made any changes in Windows 2000
    > that would cause this to happen. Other applications including
    > Thunderbird open normally.

    Have you restarted W2K? Did it happen to occur after the Windows update
    last week?

    --
    Terry

    ***Reply Note***

  7. Re: Resizing window

    Terry wrote:
    > On 1/11/2006 9:20 AM On a whim, Robin Garfinkel pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> When I opened Firefox this morning, there was a gap of about an inch
    >> between the bottom of the Firefox window and the task bar at the
    >> bottom of the screen. I have tried maximizing Firefox. I have tried
    >> to maximize it using the bottom right corner, etc. It still shows up
    >> with this gap. I have been using version 1.5 since it came out and
    >> this is the first time I've had a problem. Any suggestions on how to
    >> get it to open all the way? I don't think I've made any changes in
    >> Windows 2000 that would cause this to happen. Other applications
    >> including Thunderbird open normally.

    > Have you restarted W2K? Did it happen to occur after the Windows update
    > last week?

    I have restarted W2K several times since the update last week. This is
    the first time I have seen the Firefox problem.

  8. Re: Resizing window

    Robin Garfinkel wrote:
    > When I opened Firefox this morning, there was a gap of about an inch
    > between the bottom of the Firefox window and the task bar at the
    > bottom of the screen. I have tried maximizing Firefox. I have tried
    > to maximize it using the bottom right corner, etc. It still shows up
    > with this gap. I have been using version 1.5 since it came out and
    > this is the first time I've had a problem. Any suggestions on how to
    > get it to open all the way? I don't think I've made any changes in
    > Windows 2000 that would cause this to happen. Other applications
    > including Thunderbird open normally.

    Robin...I went through hell on this in the secnews group recently (my post
    was titled "FF 1.5 problems" - dated 1/6/06 - if you want to check the
    background). It had nothing to do with extensions or themes, and safe mode,
    or a new profile did not help. I guess the others that just responded here
    don't remember the post, or may not have read it.

    Anyway, here's what it took to fix it. Uninstall FF from add/remove
    programs. And then delete the remaining crap that's left in "program
    files/mozilla firefox" from windows explorer (make sure to do this - this
    was the key to the fix, and what was causing the problem). To be safe I
    would delete your existing FF.exe file (if you saved it to your hard drive),
    and download another one, before reinstalling it. That way you know you are
    starting with a clean slate.

    I'll bet this works. Please let us know...Pete

  9. Re: Resizing window

    Pete wrote:
    > Robin Garfinkel wrote:
    >
    >>When I opened Firefox this morning, there was a gap of about an inch
    >>between the bottom of the Firefox window and the task bar at the
    >>bottom of the screen. I have tried maximizing Firefox. I have tried
    >>to maximize it using the bottom right corner, etc. It still shows up
    >>with this gap. I have been using version 1.5 since it came out and
    >>this is the first time I've had a problem. Any suggestions on how to
    >>get it to open all the way? I don't think I've made any changes in
    >>Windows 2000 that would cause this to happen. Other applications
    >>including Thunderbird open normally.

    > Robin...I went through hell on this in the secnews group recently (my post
    > was titled "FF 1.5 problems" - dated 1/6/06 - if you want to check the
    > background). It had nothing to do with extensions or themes, and safe mode,
    > or a new profile did not help. I guess the others that just responded here
    > don't remember the post, or may not have read it.
    >
    > Anyway, here's what it took to fix it. Uninstall FF from add/remove
    > programs. And then delete the remaining crap that's left in "program
    > files/mozilla firefox" from windows explorer (make sure to do this - this
    > was the key to the fix, and what was causing the problem). To be safe I
    > would delete your existing FF.exe file (if you saved it to your hard drive),
    > and download another one, before reinstalling it. That way you know you are
    > starting with a clean slate.
    >
    > I'll bet this works. Please let us know...Pete

    I tried your advice. It didn't work. Any other ideas?

  10. Re: Resizing window

    Robin Garfinkel wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> Robin Garfinkel wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I opened Firefox this morning, there was a gap of about an inch
    >>> between the bottom of the Firefox window and the task bar at the
    >>> bottom of the screen. I have tried maximizing Firefox. I have
    >>> tried to maximize it using the bottom right corner, etc. It still
    >>> shows up with this gap. I have been using version 1.5 since it
    >>> came out and this is the first time I've had a problem. Any
    >>> suggestions on how to get it to open all the way? I don't think
    >>> I've made any changes in Windows 2000 that would cause this to
    >>> happen. Other applications including Thunderbird open normally.

    >> Robin...I went through hell on this in the secnews group recently
    >> (my post was titled "FF 1.5 problems" - dated 1/6/06 - if you want
    >> to check the background). It had nothing to do with extensions or
    >> themes, and safe mode, or a new profile did not help. I guess the
    >> others that just responded here don't remember the post, or may not
    >> have read it. Anyway, here's what it took to fix it. Uninstall FF from
    >> add/remove
    >> programs. And then delete the remaining crap that's left in "program
    >> files/mozilla firefox" from windows explorer (make sure to do this -
    >> this was the key to the fix, and what was causing the problem). To
    >> be safe I would delete your existing FF.exe file (if you saved it to
    >> your hard drive), and download another one, before reinstalling it. That
    >> way you know you are starting with a clean slate.
    >>
    >> I'll bet this works. Please let us know...Pete
    >>

    > I tried your advice. It didn't work. Any other ideas?

    Sorry Robin...I was so confident that would help. My situation was a little
    different since it didn't work when first installing 1.5 (I installed it
    over the top of 1.0.7 and didn't uninstall anything first). I notice you
    said your install *did* work, and then it stopped all of a sudden.

    I'm afraid the experts in the group are going to have to help you now. Did
    you try safe mode, and try creating a new profile. I'm sure it is something
    simple, but maybe difficult to find :-) . Good luck...Pete

+ Reply to Thread