Re: Homepage versus Startpage - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Homepage versus Startpage - Mozilla ; Chris Ilias wrote: > [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's > a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a > Firefox tip.] > > You know that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
    > a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
    > Firefox tip.]
    >
    > You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    > Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
    > with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
    > Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
    > but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
    > Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
    > bar, and press . Search for the preference
    > |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
    > Modify), and set the value.
    >
    > The values:
    > 0 = blank page
    > 1 = home page
    > 2 = last page visited
    >
    > Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
    > mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is where I
    open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything else. My
    bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do some weeding :-(

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

  2. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 1/10/2006 12:10 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
    >> a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
    >> Firefox tip.]
    >>
    >> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    >> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
    >> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
    >> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
    >> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
    >> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
    >> bar, and press . Search for the preference
    >> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
    >> Modify), and set the value.
    >>
    >> The values:
    >> 0 = blank page
    >> 1 = home page
    >> 2 = last page visited
    >>
    >> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
    >> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    > For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is where I
    > open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything else. My
    > bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do some weeding :-(

    It's easier for me to have my bookmarks on the left (Ctrl-B) and have
    the FF Start Page with Google there. I can scroll the BM's quickly that
    way and still have access to the page. And at higher resolutions it
    doesn't take away much screen real estate.

    --
    Terry

    ***Reply Note***

  3. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    Terry wrote:
    > On 1/10/2006 12:10 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
    >>> a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
    >>> Firefox tip.]
    >>>
    >>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    >>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
    >>> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
    >>> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
    >>> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
    >>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
    >>> bar, and press . Search for the preference
    >>> Modify), and set the value.
    >>>
    >>> The values:
    >>> 0 = blank page
    >>> 1 = home page
    >>> 2 = last page visited
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
    >>> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    >> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is where I
    >> open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything else. My
    >> bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do some weeding :-(
    >>

    > It's easier for me to have my bookmarks on the left (Ctrl-B) and have
    > the FF Start Page with Google there. I can scroll the BM's quickly that
    > way and still have access to the page. And at higher resolutions it
    > doesn't take away much screen real estate.

    For a while I had my bookmarks.html as my home page. I still
    have a bookmark in that file pointing to itself - makes it easy
    to load the bookmark into a new tab and then either browse it
    their or use "find in this page" to look for things.

  4. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 1/10/2006 2:10 PM The Real Bev loudly proclaimed:

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
    >> it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by
    >> posting a Firefox tip.]
    >>
    >> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    >> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
    >> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
    >> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
    >> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
    >> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
    >> bar, and press . Search for the preference
    >> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
    >> Modify), and set the value.
    >>
    >> The values:
    >> 0 = blank page
    >> 1 = home page
    >> 2 = last page visited
    >>
    >> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
    >> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    > For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
    > where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
    > else. My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
    > some weeding :-(

    I actually use My Way for my start/home page. I do have my bookmarks
    loaded on that page. The reason I do is simple. For example, a couple
    of years ago, we went on vacation to Colorado, to visit my wife's sister
    and her family. I found it very handy to have my bookmarks loaded on a
    page that I could access by simply logging in. That way, I can find my
    bank site or other important sites with no problem at all, no matter
    where I am.

    --
    LJ
    My Best Friend Is My Wife!!

  5. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    The Real Bev wrote in
    pSdnbOCsLM-iVneRVn-gA@mozilla.org>:

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but
    >> since it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on
    >> topic by posting a Firefox tip.]
    >>
    >> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    >> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to
    >> open with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you
    >> visited'? Well, this is one of those features that is still in
    >> Mozilla Firefox, but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set
    >> it: Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the
    >> location bar, and press . Search for the preference
    >> | browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and
    >> | select
    >> Modify), and set the value.
    >>
    >> The values:
    >> 0 = blank page
    >> 1 = home page
    >> 2 = last page visited
    >>
    >> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
    >> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    > For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page,
    > which is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would
    > do anything else.

    There are even a couple of extensions that will let you style the
    bookmarks for use as a home or "portal" page. I don't use 'em, but
    here they are:

    > My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
    > some weeding :-(

    Icons can make for large bookmarks files. I finally got around to
    writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except for the
    ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder. In case anyone's interested,
    the line that does all the clearing is

    $ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html > bookmarks.cleaned.html

  6. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    Q wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote in
    > pSdnbOCsLM-iVneRVn-gA@mozilla.org>:
    >

    >>Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>

    >>>[This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but
    >>>since it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on
    >>>topic by posting a Firefox tip.]
    >>>
    >>>You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    >>>Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to
    >>>open with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you
    >>>visited'? Well, this is one of those features that is still in
    >>>Mozilla Firefox, but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set
    >>>it: Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the
    >>>location bar, and press . Search for the preference
    >>>Modify), and set the value.
    >>>
    >>>The values:
    >>>0 = blank page
    >>>1 = home page
    >>>2 = last page visited
    >>>
    >>>Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
    >>>doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    >>For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page,
    >>which is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would
    >>do anything else.

    > There are even a couple of extensions that will let you style the
    > bookmarks for use as a home or "portal" page. I don't use 'em, but
    > here they are:
    >

    >>My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
    >>some weeding :-(

    > Icons can make for large bookmarks files. I finally got around to
    > writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except for the
    > ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder. In case anyone's interested,
    > the line that does all the clearing is
    >
    > $ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html > bookmarks.cleaned.html

    and what does one do with that script? Or rather, how does one create
    it and use it?

  7. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 1/10/2006 12:10 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
    >> a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
    >> Firefox tip.]
    >>
    >> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    >> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
    >> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
    >> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
    >> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
    >> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
    >> bar, and press . Search for the preference
    >> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
    >> Modify), and set the value.
    >>
    >> The values:
    >> 0 = blank page
    >> 1 = home page
    >> 2 = last page visited
    >>
    >> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
    >> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    > For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is where I
    > open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything else. My
    > bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do some weeding :-(

    You can use the Delete Icons extension to remove icons and reduce the
    file size considerably.

    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/lofiv...php/t2596.html

    --
    Terry

    ***Reply Note***

  8. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    gwtc wrote:
    > ?Q? wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote in
    >> pSdnbOCsLM-iVneRVn-gA@mozilla.org>:

    >>>For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page,
    >>>which is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would
    >>>do anything else.

    >> There are even a couple of extensions that will let you style the
    >> bookmarks for use as a home or "portal" page. I don't use 'em, but
    >> here they are:
    >>

    >>>My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
    >>>some weeding :-(

    >> Icons can make for large bookmarks files. I finally got around to
    >> writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except for the
    >> ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder. In case anyone's interested,
    >> the line that does all the clearing is
    >>
    >> $ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html > bookmarks.cleaned.html
    >>

    > and what does one do with that script? Or rather, how does one create
    > it and use it?

    If you are on a unix base system and have bash as a shell just run it in
    the bookmarks.html directory. Windows system needs Cywin + bash, I
    guess.

  9. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    Q wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
    >> some weeding :-(

    > Icons can make for large bookmarks files. I finally got around to
    > writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except for the
    > ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder. In case anyone's interested,
    > the line that does all the clearing is
    >
    > $ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html > bookmarks.cleaned.html

    Saved for future usage, but I think the main problem is that I have ~3K
    bookmarks :-( I don't seem to have many icons at all.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

  10. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    me9@mouse-potato.com (raf) wrote in
    :

    > gwtc wrote:
    >> ?Q? wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Real Bev wrote in

    >>> There are even a couple of extensions that will let you style
    >>> the bookmarks for use as a home or "portal" page. I don't use
    >>> 'em, but here they are:

    >>> Icons can make for large bookmarks files. I finally got around
    >>> to writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except
    >>> for the ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder. In case anyone's
    >>> interested, the line that does all the clearing is
    >>>
    >>> $ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html >
    >>> bookmarks.cleaned.html
    >>>

    >> and what does one do with that script? Or rather, how does one
    >> create it and use it?

    > If you are on a unix base system and have bash as a shell just run
    > it in the bookmarks.html directory. Windows system needs Cywin +
    > bash, I guess.

    Yeah. I use cygwin when I run it under Windows. The script itself is
    a little more complicated, because I split off the Bookmarks Toolbar
    Folder before doing the cleaning. It uses csplit to break the file up,
    then sed, then cat to put it back together, so it should work with bash
    under any UNIX-like system with core utilities.

  11. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    DynaBMan wrote:
    > On 1/10/2006 2:10 PM The Real Bev loudly proclaimed:
    >
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
    >>> it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by
    >>> posting a Firefox tip.]
    >>>
    >>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    >>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
    >>> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
    >>> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
    >>> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
    >>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the
    >>> location bar, and press . Search for the preference
    >>> Modify), and set the value.
    >>>
    >>> The values:
    >>> 0 = blank page
    >>> 1 = home page
    >>> 2 = last page visited
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
    >>> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    >> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
    >> where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
    >> else. My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to
    >> do some weeding :-(
    >>

    > I actually use My Way for my start/home page. I do have my bookmarks
    > loaded on that page. The reason I do is simple. For example, a couple
    > of years ago, we went on vacation to Colorado, to visit my wife's sister
    > and her family. I found it very handy to have my bookmarks loaded on a
    > page that I could access by simply logging in. That way, I can find my
    > bank site or other important sites with no problem at all, no matter
    > where I am.

    Agreed. I do the very same thing. My host used bookmarks are stored on
    the my.myway customized page. All I need to do to access them is
    navigate to the page.

    If it matters to anyone, it has great TV listings, and movies.

    And, its ad free. Really!

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  12. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > DynaBMan wrote:

    >>>For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
    >>>where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
    >>>else. My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to
    >>>do some weeding :-(
    >>>

    >>I actually use My Way for my start/home page. I do have my bookmarks
    >>loaded on that page. The reason I do is simple. For example, a couple
    >>of years ago, we went on vacation to Colorado, to visit my wife's sister
    >>and her family. I found it very handy to have my bookmarks loaded on a
    >>page that I could access by simply logging in. That way, I can find my
    >>bank site or other important sites with no problem at all, no matter
    >>where I am.
    >>

    > Agreed. I do the very same thing. My host used bookmarks are stored on
    > the my.myway customized page. All I need to do to access them is
    > navigate to the page.
    >
    > If it matters to anyone, it has great TV listings, and movies.
    >
    > And, its ad free. Really!
    >
    > Lee

    Nope, I can't get MyWay. My Hosts file is blocking it. I guess it
    can't be all that important of a place then.

  13. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 01/10/06 15:10, The Real Bev wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
    >> it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by
    >> posting a Firefox tip.]
    >>
    >> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    >> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
    >> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
    >> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
    >> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
    >> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
    >> bar, and press . Search for the preference
    >> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
    >> Modify), and set the value.
    >>
    >> The values:
    >> 0 = blank page
    >> 1 = home page
    >> 2 = last page visited
    >>
    >> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
    >> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    > For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
    > where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
    > else. My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
    > some weeding :-(

    My bookmarks.html is 14.7 MiB at the moment, and takes a long time to
    load and uses a lot of RAM when I open it in Firefox. :-)

    I just use about: or about:blank as my homepage, because it loads
    instantly. However, I'm considering switching to
    or
    or maybe
    , but I haven't done it yet.

    I always have Tab Mix Plus loading my last session anyway, so my
    homepage only gets visited when I click it because I want to go back to
    a page because it stopped loading or something, in which case I want it
    to load instantly.
    --
    Yay!

  14. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 01/11/06 04:54, Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/10/06 15:10, The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
    >>> it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by
    >>> posting a Firefox tip.]
    >>>
    >>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    >>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
    >>> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
    >>> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
    >>> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
    >>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the
    >>> location bar, and press . Search for the preference
    >>> Modify), and set the value.
    >>>
    >>> The values:
    >>> 0 = blank page
    >>> 1 = home page
    >>> 2 = last page visited
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
    >>> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    >> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
    >> where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
    >> else. My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to
    >> do some weeding :-(

    > My bookmarks.html is 14.7 MiB at the moment, and takes a long time to
    > load and uses a lot of RAM when I open it in Firefox. :-)

    And, I forgot to add, many folders are hard to browse (they're just huge
    piles of junk that could be deleted without me missing it, but I'm a
    pack rat...), so I couldn't browse my bookmarks with all the folders
    expanded.

    I just use many folders as a more permanent history, so they get filled
    up with a lot of stuff that isn't very important.

    --
    Yay!

  15. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 01/10/06 18:46, Alphabet wrote:
    > Terry wrote:

    >>> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which
    >>> is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do
    >>> anything else. My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I
    >>> desperately need to do some weeding :-(
    >>>

    >> It's easier for me to have my bookmarks on the left (Ctrl-B) and have
    >> the FF Start Page with Google there. I can scroll the BM's quickly
    >> that way and still have access to the page. And at higher resolutions
    >> it doesn't take away much screen real estate.
    >>

    > For a while I had my bookmarks.html as my home page. I still have a
    > bookmark in that file pointing to itself - makes it easy to load the
    > bookmark into a new tab and then either browse it their or use "find in
    > this page" to look for things.

    Yep. I have a keyboard bookmark for accessing my bookmarks (and it's in
    a folder on my Bookmarks Toolbar). I use it when I have no idea what
    folder some bookmark is in, because I don't have that extension that
    adds a Locate button or whatever.
    --
    Yay!

  16. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 01/11/06 02:19, gwtc wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> DynaBMan wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 1/10/2006 2:10 PM The Real Bev loudly proclaimed:

    >>> I actually use My Way for my start/home page. I do have my bookmarks
    >>> loaded on that page. The reason I do is simple. For example, a
    >>> couple of years ago, we went on vacation to Colorado, to visit my
    >>> wife's sister and her family. I found it very handy to have my
    >>> bookmarks loaded on a page that I could access by simply logging in.
    >>> That way, I can find my bank site or other important sites with no
    >>> problem at all, no matter where I am.
    >>>

    >> Agreed. I do the very same thing. My host used bookmarks are stored
    >> on the my.myway customized page. All I need to do to access them is
    >> navigate to the page.
    >>
    >> If it matters to anyone, it has great TV listings, and movies.
    >>
    >> And, its ad free. Really!
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > Nope, I can't get MyWay. My Hosts file is blocking it. I guess it
    > can't be all that important of a place then.

    I wouldn't use a HOSTS file that blocks perfectly good websites. :-\

    My Way is just a sort of one of those portal websites, where you can
    have your homepage with news and weather and your horoscope and fortune
    and stocks and sports scores and whatnot. I prefer
    or or
    , though. Too much stuff to fit
    on one small page. ;-) (Actually, I don't use
    that much for that reason.)
    --
    Yay!

  17. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 01/10/06 20:10, »Q« wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote in
    > pSdnbOCsLM-iVneRVn-gA@mozilla.org>:
    >
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but
    >>> since it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on
    >>> topic by posting a Firefox tip.]
    >>>
    >>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    >>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to
    >>> open with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you
    >>> visited'? Well, this is one of those features that is still in
    >>> Mozilla Firefox, but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set
    >>> it: Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the
    >>> location bar, and press . Search for the preference
    >>> Modify), and set the value.
    >>>
    >>> The values:
    >>> 0 = blank page
    >>> 1 = home page
    >>> 2 = last page visited
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
    >>> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    >> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page,
    >> which is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would
    >> do anything else.

    > There are even a couple of extensions that will let you style the
    > bookmarks for use as a home or "portal" page. I don't use 'em, but
    > here they are:
    >

    >> My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
    >> some weeding :-(

    > Icons can make for large bookmarks files. I finally got around to
    > writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except for the
    > ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder. In case anyone's interested,
    > the line that does all the clearing is
    >
    > $ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html > bookmarks.cleaned.html

    Mm-hmm. It annoys me immensely that I have, for example, Mozilla's
    favicon a few hundred times (probably, I haven't counted). I hope the
    bookmarks system of Firefox 2.0 or 3.0 will have a more efficient way of
    storing favicons.

    Opera just stores one image for each domain name outside of the
    bookmarks file, but I don't like that since one domain can have multiple
    favicons. Something in-between would be nice, like favicons being stored
    elsewhere named after their SHA-1 sum, and the bookmarks.html file
    linking to those. So I'd only have the SHA-1 sum a few hundred times
    instead of the whole image in bookmarks.html.
    --
    Yay!

  18. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    > On 01/10/06 15:10, The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >>Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>

    >>>[This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
    >>>it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by
    >>>posting a Firefox tip.]
    >>>
    >>>You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
    >>>Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
    >>>with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
    >>>Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
    >>>but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
    >>>Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
    >>>bar, and press . Search for the preference
    >>>Modify), and set the value.
    >>>
    >>>The values:
    >>>0 = blank page
    >>>1 = home page
    >>>2 = last page visited
    >>>
    >>>Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
    >>>doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

    >>For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
    >>where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
    >>else. My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
    >>some weeding :-(

    > My bookmarks.html is 14.7 MiB at the moment, and takes a long time to
    > load and uses a lot of RAM when I open it in Firefox. :-)
    >
    > I just use about: or about:blank as my homepage, because it loads
    > instantly. However, I'm considering switching to
    > or
    > or maybe
    > , but I haven't done it yet.
    >
    > I always have Tab Mix Plus loading my last session anyway, so my
    > homepage only gets visited when I click it because I want to go back to
    > a page because it stopped loading or something, in which case I want it
    > to load instantly.

    I would have the same problem with my bookmarks, but since I use
    Mozilla the Suite, I have the ability to break up my bookmarks into
    smaller ones and each one has its own different name, and Mozilla lets
    me switch between them quickly. Unlike FF which you can only have one.

  19. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 01/11/06 14:09, gwtc wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    >>> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which
    >>> is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do
    >>> anything else. My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I
    >>> desperately need to do some weeding :-(

    >> My bookmarks.html is 14.7 MiB at the moment, and takes a long time to
    >> load and uses a lot of RAM when I open it in Firefox. :-)
    >>
    >> I just use about: or about:blank as my homepage, because it loads
    >> instantly. However, I'm considering switching to
    >> or
    >> or maybe
    >> , but I haven't done it yet.
    >>
    >> I always have Tab Mix Plus loading my last session anyway, so my
    >> homepage only gets visited when I click it because I want to go back
    >> to a page because it stopped loading or something, in which case I
    >> want it to load instantly.

    > I would have the same problem with my bookmarks, but since I use Mozilla
    > the Suite, I have the ability to break up my bookmarks into smaller ones
    > and each one has its own different name, and Mozilla lets me switch
    > between them quickly. Unlike FF which you can only have one.

    Switching between bookmarks files would be more of an inconvenience,
    IMO. I'm okay with it the way it is, except that it takes a noticeable
    amount of time for a bookmark to be added. Hopefully SQLite will be
    faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks with SQLite, right?)
    --
    Yay!

  20. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    > On 01/11/06 14:09, gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    >>>My bookmarks.html is 14.7 MiB at the moment, and takes a long time to
    >>>load and uses a lot of RAM when I open it in Firefox. :-)
    >>>
    >>>I just use about: or about:blank as my homepage, because it loads
    >>>instantly. However, I'm considering switching to
    >>> or
    >>> or maybe
    >>>, but I haven't done it yet.
    >>>
    >>>I always have Tab Mix Plus loading my last session anyway, so my
    >>>homepage only gets visited when I click it because I want to go back
    >>>to a page because it stopped loading or something, in which case I
    >>>want it to load instantly.

    >>I would have the same problem with my bookmarks, but since I use Mozilla
    >>the Suite, I have the ability to break up my bookmarks into smaller ones
    >>and each one has its own different name, and Mozilla lets me switch
    >>between them quickly. Unlike FF which you can only have one.

    > Switching between bookmarks files would be more of an inconvenience,
    > IMO. I'm okay with it the way it is, except that it takes a noticeable
    > amount of time for a bookmark to be added. Hopefully SQLite will be
    > faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks with SQLite, right?)

    SQLite -- I don't even know what that is

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast