Re: Homepage versus Startpage - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Homepage versus Startpage - Mozilla ; On 01/11/06 14:57, gwtc wrote: > Matt Nordhoff wrote: > >> On 01/11/06 14:09, gwtc wrote: >> >>> Matt Nordhoff wrote: >>> >>> >>>> On 01/10/06 15:10, The Real Bev wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>>> Chris Ilias wrote: >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 01/11/06 14:57, gwtc wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    >>> I would have the same problem with my bookmarks, but since I use
    >>> Mozilla the Suite, I have the ability to break up my bookmarks into
    >>> smaller ones and each one has its own different name, and Mozilla
    >>> lets me switch between them quickly. Unlike FF which you can only
    >>> have one.

    >> Switching between bookmarks files would be more of an inconvenience,
    >> IMO. I'm okay with it the way it is, except that it takes a noticeable
    >> amount of time for a bookmark to be added. Hopefully SQLite will be
    >> faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks with SQLite, right?)

    > SQLite -- I don't even know what that is

    It's a very light-weight SQL database...program. It's going to be used
    in the future instead of some of the many formats used at the moment for
    different files. It's supposed to be very fast. See
    .
    --
    Yay!

  2. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    Matt Nordhoff wrote in
    :

    > Hopefully SQLite will be faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks
    > with SQLite, right?)

    AIUI, they will replace anything currently handled by mork with
    something called MozStorage, which is based on SQLite. They're not
    happy with the way bookmarks are stored, but mork's not handling
    bookmarks, and I don't know if they'll move to MozStorage for
    bookmarks.

  3. [OT] Bookmarks and mozStorage (was: Re: Homepage versus Startpage)

    On 01/11/06 15:49, »Q« wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> Hopefully SQLite will be faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks
    >> with SQLite, right?)

    > AIUI, they will replace anything currently handled by mork with
    > something called MozStorage, which is based on SQLite. They're not
    > happy with the way bookmarks are stored, but mork's not handling
    > bookmarks, and I don't know if they'll move to MozStorage for
    > bookmarks.

    mentions
    bookmarks a number of times, so I think they will be replacing bookmarks.

    Well, bookmarks and history are what I care about being replaced.
    They're both somewhat slow because of my massive bookmarks.html and
    history.dat files. I care about history more, though the slowness and
    processor-usage of bookmarking a bunch of things as fast as I can is
    annoying.
    --
    Yay!

  4. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 01/11/06 16:18, gwtc wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    >>> SQLite -- I don't even know what that is

    >> It's a very light-weight SQL database...program. It's going to be used
    >> in the future instead of some of the many formats used at the moment
    >> for different files. It's supposed to be very fast. See
    >> .

    > thanks for that info.

    You're welcome. :-)

    mozStorage will be an interesting change. It'll absolutely wreck
    backwards-compatibility of profiles, though. Maybe already-used profiles
    might continue to use the old formats? I doubt it... Definitely need
    some big warnings about backups if you absolutely can't go back.
    --
    Yay!

  5. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    > On 01/11/06 14:57, gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    >>>Switching between bookmarks files would be more of an inconvenience,
    >>>IMO. I'm okay with it the way it is, except that it takes a noticeable
    >>>amount of time for a bookmark to be added. Hopefully SQLite will be
    >>>faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks with SQLite, right?)

    >>SQLite -- I don't even know what that is

    > It's a very light-weight SQL database...program. It's going to be used
    > in the future instead of some of the many formats used at the moment for
    > different files. It's supposed to be very fast. See
    > .

    thanks for that info.

  6. Re: [OT] Bookmarks and mozStorage

    On 11.01.2006 22:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Matt Nordhoff
    to generate the following:? :

    > On 01/11/06 15:49, »Q« wrote:
    >
    >> Matt Nordhoff wrote in
    >> :
    >>
    >>> Hopefully SQLite will be faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks
    >>> with SQLite, right?)

    >> AIUI, they will replace anything currently handled by mork with
    >> something called MozStorage, which is based on SQLite. They're not
    >> happy with the way bookmarks are stored, but mork's not handling
    >> bookmarks, and I don't know if they'll move to MozStorage for
    >> bookmarks.

    > mentions
    > bookmarks a number of times, so I think they will be replacing bookmarks.
    >
    > Well, bookmarks and history are what I care about being replaced.
    > They're both somewhat slow because of my massive bookmarks.html and
    > history.dat files. I care about history more, though the slowness and
    > processor-usage of bookmarking a bunch of things as fast as I can is
    > annoying.

    one thing that is certain in life... if you live long enough, you *will*
    get older.... then you will be only too pleased to have something that
    is "not too fast please"

    reg

  7. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/11/06 16:18, gwtc wrote:
    >> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    /snip/

    > mozStorage will be an interesting change. It'll absolutely wreck
    > backwards-compatibility of profiles, though. Maybe already-used profiles
    > might continue to use the old formats? I doubt it... Definitely need
    > some big warnings about backups if you absolutely can't go back.

    It happened once before, back in the change to 0.8, I think, maybe 0.9,
    all the profiles had to be migrated, which happened when you installed.
    The big problem with such a change now would be the far larger user
    base, with quite a few more, shall we say, less sophisticated users

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  8. Re: Homepage versus Startpage

    On 01/11/06 20:02, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > It happened once before, back in the change to 0.8, I think, maybe 0.9,
    > all the profiles had to be migrated, which happened when you installed.
    > The big problem with such a change now would be the far larger user
    > base, with quite a few more, shall we say, less sophisticated users

    Ah, well, I started using Firefox at one of the 0.9 versions, though I
    had 0.8 installed. (I switched from IE to Mozilla at 1.6, then quickly
    upgraded to 1.7a, then switched to Firefox 0.9 when further Mozilla
    releases were slower and buggier until the point they were unusable.)

    With the amount of people that downgraded back to 1.0.7 after 1.5 was
    released, it would be very bad for them if they absolutely couldn't if
    they cared about most of their profile data. People should make backups
    before upgrading, but they don't know that. Perhaps it should leave the
    old files around (especially bookmarks), even if it doesn't add anything
    to them.
    --
    Yay!

+ Reply to Thread