offline detection - Mozilla

This is a discussion on offline detection - Mozilla ; When I disconnect from my Internet connection (DSL), Thunderbird will never automatically go offline. And when Thunderbird is offline and I connect to my Internet connection, Thunderbird will never automatically go online. I thought that Thunderbird 2.0 was supposed to ...

  1. offline detection

    When I disconnect from my Internet connection (DSL), Thunderbird will
    never automatically go offline. And when Thunderbird is offline and I
    connect to my Internet connection, Thunderbird will never automatically
    go online. I thought that Thunderbird 2.0 was supposed to provide
    offline management. I have tried changing the various preferences in
    the config editor, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions
    for what could be wrong?

  2. Re: offline detection

    Ken G wrote:
    > When I disconnect from my Internet connection (DSL), Thunderbird will
    > never automatically go offline. And when Thunderbird is offline and I
    > connect to my Internet connection, Thunderbird will never automatically
    > go online. I thought that Thunderbird 2.0 was supposed to provide
    > offline management. I have tried changing the various preferences in
    > the config editor, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions
    > for what could be wrong?

    As far as I know, and I could be wrong, the only option I'm aware of is
    the auto-dial helper, for establishing dial-up connections. Other than
    that, I'm not aware of a network up/down detection function.

    My only suggestion is to go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network &
    Disk Space, and click the 'Offline' button. In the 'Offline Settings'
    window that opens, under the section labeled 'When starting up:', select
    the option 'Ask me for online state at startup'.

    This will allow you to select the mode corresponding to your current
    network state, which will allow you to prevent TB from attempting to
    check for mail while the connection is down.

    That does nothing, of course, if you disconnect while TB is in the
    online mode. You'll have to remember to put TB offline when you disconnect.

    --
    Alex K.

  3. Re: offline detection

    Ken G wrote:
    > When I disconnect from my Internet connection (DSL), Thunderbird will
    > never automatically go offline. And when Thunderbird is offline
    > and I connect to my Internet connection, Thunderbird will never
    > automatically go online. I thought that Thunderbird 2.0 was
    > supposed to provide offline management. I have tried changing the
    > various preferences in the config editor, but to no avail. Does
    > anyone have any suggestions for what could be wrong?

    There is pref named 'offline.autoDetect' . Most probably it works only
    in Windows XP platform. Don't know if it will work in TB 2.0.0.6
    ["http://www.koders.com/javascript/fidE60FD69FFCE143F782D62E40BB391DE21D5B9637.aspx?s =xml"]

    And the pref what Alex has mentioned is most probably
    'network.autodial-helper.enabled'
    ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.autodial-helper.enabled"]

+ Reply to Thread