Editing Subject Line of Received Mail - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Editing Subject Line of Received Mail - Mozilla ; T'Bird 2.0.0.6 under XP / Vista Home When I archive various received mails I'd like to be able to edit the Subject Line so as to make finding relevant stuff easier later (so "October Update" could become "Project A: October ...

  1. Editing Subject Line of Received Mail

    T'Bird 2.0.0.6 under XP / Vista Home

    When I archive various received mails I'd like to be able to edit the
    Subject Line so as to make finding relevant stuff easier later (so
    "October Update" could become "Project A: October Update").

    Any easy way of doing this?

    AGB

  2. Re: Editing Subject Line of Received Mail

    On 10/9/2007 3:13 PM eastern, AGB wrote:
    > T'Bird 2.0.0.6 under XP / Vista Home
    >
    > When I archive various received mails I'd like to be able to edit the
    > Subject Line so as to make finding relevant stuff easier later (so
    > "October Update" could become "Project A: October Update").
    >
    > Any easy way of doing this?
    >
    > AGB

    Display it, select Message, Edit Message As New, and edit the subject line.
    CTinCT

  3. Re: Editing Subject Line of Received Mail

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 10/9/2007 3:13 PM eastern, AGB wrote:
    >> T'Bird 2.0.0.6 under XP / Vista Home
    >>
    >> When I archive various received mails I'd like to be able to edit the
    >> Subject Line so as to make finding relevant stuff easier later (so
    >> "October Update" could become "Project A: October Update").
    >>
    >> Any easy way of doing this?
    >>
    >> AGB

    > Display it, select Message, Edit Message As New, and edit the subject line.
    > CTinCT

    Amazing really - I've used successive generations of Moz mailers for
    years and never, ever seen the "Edit Message as New" option!

    Not quite what I want though. I want only to edit / annotate the
    original subject line, not to make an edited second copy of the
    original. And, trying the method out, the problem is that the newly
    edited copy loses the date and time of the original (it's replaced by
    date and time that the copy was made), and the original sender's e-mail
    details.

    There are work-rounds. Forward the message to myself, with an annotated
    subject line and then archive it. Or create layers of folders in the
    archive folder. Etc etc. But it would be so nice to put in the subject
    line a note as to the real contents of the mail.

    AGB

  4. Re: Editing Subject Line of Received Mail

    AGB wrote:
    > Cal Tinson wrote:
    >> On 10/9/2007 3:13 PM eastern, AGB wrote:
    >>> T'Bird 2.0.0.6 under XP / Vista Home
    >>>
    >>> When I archive various received mails I'd like to be able to edit the
    >>> Subject Line so as to make finding relevant stuff easier later (so
    >>> "October Update" could become "Project A: October Update").
    >>>
    >>> Any easy way of doing this?
    >>>
    >>> AGB

    >> Display it, select Message, Edit Message As New, and edit the subject
    >> line.
    >> CTinCT

    > Amazing really - I've used successive generations of Moz mailers for
    > years and never, ever seen the "Edit Message as New" option!
    >
    > Not quite what I want though. I want only to edit / annotate the
    > original subject line, not to make an edited second copy of the
    > original. And, trying the method out, the problem is that the newly
    > edited copy loses the date and time of the original (it's replaced by
    > date and time that the copy was made), and the original sender's e-mail
    > details.
    >
    > There are work-rounds. Forward the message to myself, with an annotated
    > subject line and then archive it. Or create layers of folders in the
    > archive folder. Etc etc. But it would be so nice to put in the subject
    > line a note as to the real contents of the mail.

    Working for a software house that supplies security and auditing
    solutions, I'll point out that actual modification of an e-mail item
    can interfere with later audits. This makes it problematic for
    authors of e-mail clients -- they don't necessarily want to provide
    ways that can help make it look like someone sent something other
    than what was actually sent. (I'm not saying changes shouldn't be
    possible, only pointing out an aspect.)

    Perhaps you could create a custom [Tag] that says "Project A"? I.e.,
    tag e-mails with meaningful phrases.

    Just an alternative.

    --
    Tom Liotta

  5. Re: Editing Subject Line of Received Mail

    Here's an alternative I use. I use the extension TB Header Extension
    Tools (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/875). The
    problem is that version on the link is old, but I can't get the new
    version link to open. It got updated to 0.6.6 automatically, but the
    link listed to that page does not work.

    Egídio

  6. Re: Editing Subject Line of Received Mail

    On 10/9/2007 4:52 PM, Egídio Leitão wrote:
    > Here's an alternative I use. I use the extension TB Header Extension
    > Tools (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/875). The
    > problem is that version on the link is old, but I can't get the new
    > version link to open. It got updated to 0.6.6 automatically, but the
    > link listed to that page does not work.
    >
    > Egídio

    The latest version of that extension is at
    http://forum.addonsmirror.net/index.php?showtopic=1906

    Dave Pyles

  7. Re: Editing Subject Line of Received Mail

    *-* On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:44:27 -0500,
    *-* In Article dYidncfGo8uNR5banZ2dnUVZ_uGknZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* AGB wrote
    *-* About Re: Editing Subject Line of Received Mail

    > Cal Tinson wrote:
    >> On 10/9/2007 3:13 PM eastern, AGB wrote:
    >>> T'Bird 2.0.0.6 under XP / Vista Home

    >>> When I archive various received mails I'd like to be able to edit
    >>> the Subject Line so as to make finding relevant stuff easier later
    >>> (so "October Update" could become "Project A: October Update").

    >>> Any easy way of doing this?

    >> Display it, select Message, Edit Message As New, and edit the
    >> subject line.

    > Amazing really - I've used successive generations of Moz mailers for
    > years and never, ever seen the "Edit Message as New" option!

    There are a couple of other ways to get to that option, too:

    1. Right click on that message/post in the Thread (Message List)
    Pane.

    2. Right click in the body of the message/post while displaying
    it.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  8. Re: Editing Subject Line of Received Mail

    David Pyles wrote:
    > On 10/9/2007 4:52 PM, Egídio Leitão wrote:
    >> Here's an alternative I use. I use the extension TB Header Extension
    >> Tools (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/875). The
    >> problem is that version on the link is old, but I can't get the new
    >> version link to open. It got updated to 0.6.6 automatically, but the
    >> link listed to that page does not work.
    >>
    >> Egídio
    >>

    > The latest version of that extension is at
    > http://forum.addonsmirror.net/index.php?showtopic=1906
    >
    > Dave Pyles

    Brilliant! That's absolutely what I needed - problem solved.

    AGB

  9. Re: Editing Subject Line of Received Mail

    AGB wrote:
    > Not quite what I want though. I want only to edit / annotate the
    > original subject line, not to make an edited second copy of the
    > original.

    For annotations I find the XNote-Add-on quite useful:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/3093

    It lets you attach little notes to individual messages.

    HTH, Jan

+ Reply to Thread