Thunderbird - things that should be corrected - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird - things that should be corrected - Mozilla ; I have no idea where to provide feedback on this excellent application so I'll try here. * The preview incoming mail function shouldn't preview mail that it already knows is junk. * The spelling function can be disabled e.g. but ...

  1. Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    I have no idea where to provide feedback on this excellent application
    so I'll try here.

    * The preview incoming mail function shouldn't preview mail that it
    already knows is junk.
    * The spelling function can be disabled e.g. but it still checks the
    subject line for spelling errors.

    That said! This is my favorite e-mail client ever!

  2. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    On 09.10.2007 10:58 UK Time, tbresson@gmail.com wrote:

    > * The spelling function can be disabled e.g. but it still checks the
    > subject line for spelling errors.

    It doesn't do that here.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  3. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    tbresson@gmail.com skrev:
    > I have no idea where to provide feedback on this excellent application
    > so I'll try here.
    >
    > * The preview incoming mail function shouldn't preview mail that it
    > already knows is junk.
    > * The spelling function can be disabled e.g. but it still checks the
    > subject line for spelling errors.
    >
    > That said! This is my favorite e-mail client ever!

    Ok, this tread a bug/encanchement tread?

    There is a little funny behaviour I'd like to be changed, or at least be
    able to change.
    When I resize a coloumn, the coloumn next to right also resize, but
    oposite. That is, If I reduce the coloumn "subject" by 1cm, the width of
    coloum "from" will increase that much.

  4. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    Stone_26lb wrote:
    > tbresson@gmail.com skrev:
    >> I have no idea where to provide feedback on this excellent application
    >> so I'll try here.
    >>
    >> * The preview incoming mail function shouldn't preview mail that it
    >> already knows is junk.
    >> * The spelling function can be disabled e.g. but it still checks the
    >> subject line for spelling errors.
    >>
    >> That said! This is my favorite e-mail client ever!

    > Ok, this tread a bug/encanchement tread?

    "Tread"? Well at least your consistent...
    > There is a little funny behaviour I'd like to be changed, or at least
    > be able to change. When I resize a coloumn, the coloumn next to right
    > also resize, but oposite. That is, If I reduce the coloumn "subject"
    > by 1cm, the width of coloum "from" will increase that much.

    What would you propose as another way of doing it?
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    If you take an Oriental person and spin him around several times, does

  5. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    On 09.10.2007 16:14 UK Time, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    >> There is a little funny behaviour I'd like to be changed, or at least
    >> be able to change. When I resize a coloumn, the coloumn next to right
    >> also resize, but oposite. That is, If I reduce the coloumn "subject"
    >> by 1cm, the width of coloum "from" will increase that much.

    > What would you propose as another way of doing it?

    My thoughts precisely :-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  6. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    Stone_26lb wrote:
    > tbresson@gmail.com skrev:
    >> I have no idea where to provide feedback on this excellent application
    >> so I'll try here.
    >>
    >> * The preview incoming mail function shouldn't preview mail that it
    >> already knows is junk.
    >> * The spelling function can be disabled e.g. but it still checks the
    >> subject line for spelling errors.
    >>
    >> That said! This is my favorite e-mail client ever!
    >>

    > Ok, this tread a bug/encanchement tread?
    >
    > There is a little funny behaviour I'd like to be changed, or at least be
    > able to change.
    > When I resize a coloumn, the coloumn next to right also resize, but
    > oposite. That is, If I reduce the coloumn "subject" by 1cm, the width of
    > coloum "from" will increase that much.

    They should fix the bug with the date format in Mac Thunderbird. It was
    supposed to read the System Preferences setting and use that, but
    version 2.x.x... does its own thing with the date and time.

  7. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    *-* On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 08:14:56 -0700,
    *-* In Article RvydneEiC8NtB5banZ2dnUVZ_sDinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Andrew DeFaria wrote
    *-* About Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    > Stone_26lb wrote:

    From the headers of that post:

    >> Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 17:03:11 +0200

    ^^^^^
    >> tbresson@gmail.com skrev:

    >>> I have no idea where to provide feedback on this excellent
    >>> application so I'll try here.

    >>> * The preview incoming mail function shouldn't preview mail that
    >>> it already knows is junk.
    >>> * The spelling function can be disabled e.g. but it still checks
    >>> the subject line for spelling errors.

    >>> That said! This is my favorite e-mail client ever!

    >> Ok, this tread a bug/encanchement tread?

    > "Tread"?

    There's no need to "stroke" your ego by mocking someone whose
    native language is probably not English.

    > Well at least your consistent...

    ^^^^
    Before mocking someone else'e use of the language you really need
    to make sure that your own is correct. That should be "you're".

    Follow-up set to mozilla.general.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  8. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Ken Whiton wrote:
    >>> "Tread"?

    >> There's no need to "stroke" your ego by mocking someone whose native
    >> language is probably not English.

    > How else will the error ever be corrected if it is not brought to light?
    > Why is it that on the internet poor spelling and grammar is exalted?
    > Sounds pretty ****ing stupid to me.

    Or maybe the person made a silly mistake on par with not using a
    contraction correctly. The mistake of not being diplomatic here was a
    much more glaring mistake than what they did. That is especially true if
    their native tongue is one where asperation is portrayed much
    differently than it is in English.

    IIHO, saying "U fUx0r" is more correct than "thou art ****ed". Since
    'U' was an abbreviation for the familiar pronoun "thou" in early English
    they may have more in common than we want to acknowledge.

    One way or another, sounding like a Spell Checker bot isn't the solution.

    >>> Well at least your consistent...

    >> ^^^^
    >> Before mocking someone else'e use of the language you really need to
    >> make sure that your own is correct. That should be "you're".

    > Your right! (or should I say "You're right" :-) ) Thanks for the
    > correction (See? I know I'm not perfect and I don't mind being
    > corrected. Now maybe you can show the same humility - asshole!).
    > Meantime: Ode to Spell Checker.

    It was more of a matter of how the correction was done (there was no
    attempt to soften the blow) than whether it should have been done.

    Believe it or not, you don't have to be rude when correcting others.
    Although an exception is usually made when responding to rudeness.

  9. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    On 10.10.2007 07:43 UK Time, davekeays wrote:
    > Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >>> There's no need to "stroke" your ego by mocking someone whose native
    >>> language is probably not English.

    >> How else will the error ever be corrected if it is not brought to
    >> light? Why is it that on the internet poor spelling and grammar is
    >> exalted? Sounds pretty ****ing stupid to me.

    > Believe it or not, you don't have to be rude when correcting others.
    > Although an exception is usually made when responding to rudeness.

    I wondered when Andrew might pipe up again, contaminating this usually
    very civilised forum with his irrelevant comments and foul language.

    Previous experience suggests that it is best to ignore him when a
    conversation gets to this stage. Eventually he'll calm down again and
    shut up for a while.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  10. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    Herb wrote:
    > On 10.10.2007 07:43 UK Time, davekeays wrote:
    >> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >>> How else will the error ever be corrected if it is not brought to
    >>> light? Why is it that on the internet poor spelling and grammar is
    >>> exalted? Sounds pretty ****ing stupid to me.

    >> Believe it or not, you don't have to be rude when correcting others.
    >> Although an exception is usually made when responding to rudeness.

    > I wondered when Andrew might pipe up again, contaminating this usually
    > very civilised forum with his irrelevant comments and foul language.
    >
    > Previous experience suggests that it is best to ignore him when a
    > conversation gets to this stage. Eventually he'll calm down again and
    > shut up for a while.

    Thank you, I am new in here and have a habit of jumping in too soon. It
    might be wise for me to do a little more lurking before I make a fool of
    myself.

    But it is nice to find a polite/civilized corner amongst the virtual
    commons.

  11. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    On 10.10.2007 09:31 UK Time, davekeays wrote:

    > But it is nice to find a polite/civilized corner amongst the virtual
    > commons.

    Hi,

    yes, it usually is indeed a very polite, civilised and, of course, very
    helpful corner :-)

    By the way, I note you still use TB 1.5.0.8 - do you have a good reason
    for using this out of date version?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  12. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    Herb wrote:
    > On 10.10.2007 09:31 UK Time, davekeays wrote:
    >
    >> But it is nice to find a polite/civilized corner amongst the virtual
    >> commons.

    > Hi,
    >
    > yes, it usually is indeed a very polite, civilised and, of course, very
    > helpful corner :-)
    >
    > By the way, I note you still use TB 1.5.0.8 - do you have a good reason
    > for using this out of date version?

    Last time I looked at portable TB, that was the most up-to-date. But
    looking again, they have a newer version so I'll have to play with that
    soon.

  13. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    On 10.10.2007 10:51 UK Time, davekeays wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >> On 10.10.2007 09:31 UK Time, davekeays wrote:
    >>
    >>> But it is nice to find a polite/civilized corner amongst the virtual
    >>> commons.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> yes, it usually is indeed a very polite, civilised and, of course,
    >> very helpful corner :-)
    >>
    >> By the way, I note you still use TB 1.5.0.8 - do you have a good
    >> reason for using this out of date version?
    >>

    > Last time I looked at portable TB, that was the most up-to-date. But
    > looking again, they have a newer version so I'll have to play with that
    > soon.

    Simply install it over the old portable version - see recent thread "All
    Portable, or mixed setup?"

    In future, TB should then alert you automatically when updates are
    available (or install them automatically, depending on your settings).

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  14. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    On 10.10.2007 16:33 UK Time, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > Let me get this straight. I was "rude" for asking a question?
    > Specifically questioning a consistently mistyped word. Well holy **** we
    > now can't ask questions here without being deemed rude. Well that
    > severely limits the usefulness of this group should we all decide to be
    > ahem... polite.

    Hi Dave,

    you see what I meant in my earlier message? ;-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  15. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    On 10.10.2007 16:39 UK Time, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    >>> I wondered when Andrew might pipe up again, contaminating this
    >>> usually very civilised forum with his irrelevant comments and foul
    >>> language.

    > I'll pipe up whenever I feel like it thank you very much.

    Sure.

    Sadly, we had to get used to your unreasonable and uncalled for
    outbursts over the years.

    No doubt you will calm down again in due course.

    Have you heard of the British TV series Fawlty Towers? One of the
    episodes contains the famous line "There's enough material here for an
    entire conference". The same seems to apply to this newsgroup,
    especially when you are around =-O

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  16. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    Herb wrote:

    >> I'll pipe up whenever I feel like it thank you very much.

    > Sure.
    >
    > Sadly, we had to get used to your unreasonable and uncalled for
    > outbursts over the years.

    Even TB can filter on the From header.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  17. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    Herb wrote:
    > On 10.10.2007 16:33 UK Time, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >
    >> Let me get this straight. I was "rude" for asking a question?
    >> Specifically questioning a consistently mistyped word. Well holy **** we
    >> now can't ask questions here without being deemed rude. Well that
    >> severely limits the usefulness of this group should we all decide to be
    >> ahem... polite.

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > you see what I meant in my earlier message? ;-)

    Move this discussion to mozilla.general and continue it there.

    --
    Followup-to -> mozilla.general

  18. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    Herb wrote:
    > On 10.10.2007 10:51 UK Time, davekeays wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:
    >>> On 10.10.2007 09:31 UK Time, davekeays wrote:

    [snip]

    >>> By the way, I note you still use TB 1.5.0.8 - do you have a good
    >>> reason for using this out of date version?
    >>>

    >> Last time I looked at portable TB, that was the most up-to-date. But
    >> looking again, they have a newer version so I'll have to play with
    >> that soon.

    > Simply install it over the old portable version - see recent thread "All
    > Portable, or mixed setup?"

    Thank you for the information.

    > In future, TB should then alert you automatically when updates are
    > available (or install them automatically, depending on your settings).

    If it pays attention to my settings then it will not check automatically
    either. If it does not or if that setting no longer exists then that is
    a reason to not update.

  19. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    Herb wrote:
    > On 10.10.2007 16:33 UK Time, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >> Let me get this straight. I was "rude" for asking a question?
    >> Specifically questioning a consistently mistyped word. Well holy ****
    >> we now can't ask questions here without being deemed rude. Well that
    >> severely limits the usefulness of this group should we all decide to
    >> be ahem... polite.

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > you see what I meant in my earlier message? ;-)

    Yes I see what you mean. You will totally disregard what's being said,
    especially when paying attention to it loses your argument...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

  20. Re: Thunderbird - things that should be corrected

    On 10.10.2007 22:54 UK Time, davekeays wrote:

    >> In future, TB should then alert you automatically when updates are
    >> available (or install them automatically, depending on your settings).

    > If it pays attention to my settings then it will not check automatically
    > either. If it does not or if that setting no longer exists then that is
    > a reason to not update.

    Yes, it does pay attention to the settings.

    I have mine set to check for updates and notify me, but not to update
    automatically.

    A great extension for achieving the same effect with extensions is
    Update Notifier - see

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk