To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail - Mozilla

This is a discussion on To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail - Mozilla ; McAfee sent me an update a little while ago that appears to fix the problem with their redirector service (redirsvc.exe). I no longer have to turn it off to get Yahoo!, Hotmail and Mail.com e-mail via localhost....

  1. To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    McAfee sent me an update a little while ago that appears to fix
    the problem with their redirector service (redirsvc.exe). I no
    longer have to turn it off to get Yahoo!, Hotmail and Mail.com
    e-mail via localhost.

  2. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    Alan wrote:
    > McAfee sent me an update a little while ago that appears to fix the
    > problem with their redirector service (redirsvc.exe). I no longer have
    > to turn it off to get Yahoo!, Hotmail and Mail.com e-mail via localhost.

    That's great ... but since I was a month away from annual renewal of
    McAfee, I decided to dump it and go with ZoneAlarm (which also caught a
    piece of spyware that McAfee didn't). One customer: gone.

    I wonder how many other customers they will lose for not adding the fix
    to their normal update (which they didn't, at least for the last few
    days)?

    Failure to be up front about it leads people like me to think they are
    not as sharp as they would have you think ....

  3. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    BarryM wrote:
    > Alan wrote:
    >> McAfee sent me an update a little while ago that appears to fix the
    >> problem with their redirector service (redirsvc.exe). I no longer have
    >> to turn it off to get Yahoo!, Hotmail and Mail.com e-mail via localhost.

    > That's great ... but since I was a month away from annual renewal of
    > McAfee, I decided to dump it and go with ZoneAlarm (which also caught a
    > piece of spyware that McAfee didn't). One customer: gone.
    >
    > I wonder how many other customers they will lose for not adding the fix
    > to their normal update (which they didn't, at least for the last few
    > days)?
    >
    > Failure to be up front about it leads people like me to think they are
    > not as sharp as they would have you think ....

    my question is why would people want to pay for a program
    when they can get similar, and even better ones, for free?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > BarryM wrote:
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>> McAfee sent me an update a little while ago that appears to fix the
    >>> problem with their redirector service (redirsvc.exe). I no longer
    >>> have to turn it off to get Yahoo!, Hotmail and Mail.com e-mail via
    >>> localhost.

    >> That's great ... but since I was a month away from annual renewal of
    >> McAfee, I decided to dump it and go with ZoneAlarm (which also caught
    >> a piece of spyware that McAfee didn't). One customer: gone.
    >>
    >> I wonder how many other customers they will lose for not adding the
    >> fix to their normal update (which they didn't, at least for the last
    >> few days)?
    >>
    >> Failure to be up front about it leads people like me to think they are
    >> not as sharp as they would have you think ....
    >>

    > my question is why would people want to pay for a program when they can
    > get similar, and even better ones, for free?

    Can you give a hint about which free ones are better?

    Good Firewall, AV, and Spyware in particular. Thanks!

  5. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    I have been VERY happy using free versions of ZoneAlarm and AVG. I do
    NOT use AVG's email filtering however.

    BarryM wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> BarryM wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That's great ... but since I was a month away from annual renewal of
    >>> McAfee, I decided to dump it and go with ZoneAlarm (which also caught
    >>> a piece of spyware that McAfee didn't). One customer: gone.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder how many other customers they will lose for not adding the
    >>> fix to their normal update (which they didn't, at least for the last
    >>> few days)?
    >>>
    >>> Failure to be up front about it leads people like me to think they
    >>> are not as sharp as they would have you think ....
    >>>

    >> my question is why would people want to pay for a program when they
    >> can get similar, and even better ones, for free?
    >>

    > Can you give a hint about which free ones are better?
    >
    > Good Firewall, AV, and Spyware in particular. Thanks!

  6. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    On 09.10.2007 16:26 UK Time, BarryM wrote:

    > Can you give a hint about which free ones are better?
    >
    > Good Firewall, AV, and Spyware in particular. Thanks!

    See

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  7. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    BarryM wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> BarryM wrote:
    >>> That's great ... but since I was a month away from annual renewal of
    >>> McAfee, I decided to dump it and go with ZoneAlarm (which also caught
    >>> a piece of spyware that McAfee didn't). One customer: gone.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder how many other customers they will lose for not adding the
    >>> fix to their normal update (which they didn't, at least for the last
    >>> few days)?
    >>>
    >>> Failure to be up front about it leads people like me to think they are
    >>> not as sharp as they would have you think ....
    >>>

    >> my question is why would people want to pay for a program when they can
    >> get similar, and even better ones, for free?
    >>

    > Can you give a hint about which free ones are better?
    >
    > Good Firewall, AV, and Spyware in particular. Thanks!

    AV: this site lists a whole bunch of them:
    http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/

    Firewall:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ll&btnG=Search

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > BarryM wrote:
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>> McAfee sent me an update a little while ago that appears to fix the
    >>> problem with their redirector service (redirsvc.exe). I no longer
    >>> have to turn it off to get Yahoo!, Hotmail and Mail.com e-mail via
    >>> localhost.

    >> That's great ... but since I was a month away from annual renewal of
    >> McAfee, I decided to dump it and go with ZoneAlarm (which also caught
    >> a piece of spyware that McAfee didn't). One customer: gone.
    >>
    >> I wonder how many other customers they will lose for not adding the
    >> fix to their normal update (which they didn't, at least for the last
    >> few days)?
    >>
    >> Failure to be up front about it leads people like me to think they are
    >> not as sharp as they would have you think ....
    >>

    > my question is why would people want to pay for a program when they can
    > get similar, and even better ones, for free?

    Several of the posters discussing this issue, including me, have
    referred to problems with their Comcast email. Comcast provides McAfee
    suite to its customers at no charge. This answers the first part of
    your question, at least.

  9. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > BarryM wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> my question is why would people want to pay for a program when they
    >>> can get similar, and even better ones, for free?
    >>>

    >> Can you give a hint about which free ones are better?
    >>
    >> Good Firewall, AV, and Spyware in particular. Thanks!
    >>

    > AV: this site lists a whole bunch of them:
    > http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/
    >
    > Firewall:
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ll&btnG=Search

    Thanks. I recognize a few of them, and I suppose my question about
    "better" is a relative term anyway. I'd have to research several, get
    benchmarks, etc., etc.

    IAC, if I use freeware for all these (firewall, AV, spy/malware,
    antispam) I am left with the task of manually updating all of them at
    least weekly -- if not more often.

    So, even if updating takes only 2 hours a year of my time, I guess I'll
    go with a suite like ZoneAlarm. I'd rather pay $30-35 a year for
    automatic daily updates. I spend too much time on the computer as it is.

    User's choice, I guess. :-) But thanks nonetheless.

  10. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    Herb wrote:
    > On 09.10.2007 16:26 UK Time, BarryM wrote:
    >
    >> Can you give a hint about which free ones are better?
    >>
    >> Good Firewall, AV, and Spyware in particular. Thanks!

    > See

    Thanks, anyway -- but see my reply to Peter. I've used freeware a lot in
    the past couple of decades, I think I might be better off paying for the
    automatic updates than spending a lot of extra time every year doing it
    manually.

  11. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    BarryM wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> BarryM wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That's great ... but since I was a month away from annual renewal of
    >>> McAfee, I decided to dump it and go with ZoneAlarm (which also caught
    >>> a piece of spyware that McAfee didn't). One customer: gone.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder how many other customers they will lose for not adding the
    >>> fix to their normal update (which they didn't, at least for the last
    >>> few days)?
    >>>
    >>> Failure to be up front about it leads people like me to think they
    >>> are not as sharp as they would have you think ....
    >>>

    >> my question is why would people want to pay for a program when they
    >> can get similar, and even better ones, for free?
    >>

    > Can you give a hint about which free ones are better?
    >
    > Good Firewall, AV, and Spyware in particular. Thanks!

    Firewall: ZoneAlarm free version
    AV: AVG Free from Grisoft
    Spyware: AdAware SE Personal
    Spybot - Search and Destroy
    Rootkit: AVG Anti-rootkit Free

  12. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    On 09.10.2007 19:29 UK Time, Fred Winter > wrote:

    > Firewall: ZoneAlarm free version
    > AV: AVG Free from Grisoft
    > Spyware: AdAware SE Personal
    > Spybot - Search and Destroy
    > Rootkit: AVG Anti-rootkit Free

    My thoughts precisely!

    I currently have the licensed/paid version of AVG Anti-Malware, but my
    license has expired and I'm considering moving to the free version.

    In addition to your list I also have Spyware Blaster.

    FWIW, there is also a free AVG anti-spyware module - see

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  13. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    On 09.10.2007 19:14 UK Time, BarryM wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >> On 09.10.2007 16:26 UK Time, BarryM wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can you give a hint about which free ones are better?
    >>>
    >>> Good Firewall, AV, and Spyware in particular. Thanks!

    >> See
    >>

    > Thanks, anyway -- but see my reply to Peter. I've used freeware a lot in
    > the past couple of decades, I think I might be better off paying for the
    > automatic updates than spending a lot of extra time every year doing it
    > manually.

    Yes, good point!

    But have a closer look at the links I send earlier - they list
    applications by quality (some are free, some aren't).

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  14. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    BarryM wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >> On 09.10.2007 16:26 UK Time, BarryM wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can you give a hint about which free ones are better?
    >>>
    >>> Good Firewall, AV, and Spyware in particular. Thanks!

    >> See
    >>

    > Thanks, anyway -- but see my reply to Peter. I've used freeware a lot in
    > the past couple of decades, I think I might be better off paying for the
    > automatic updates than spending a lot of extra time every year doing it
    > manually.

    You are assuming that no freeware updates automatically. Is this really
    the case? I am not using freeware security software, so I really don't
    know, but it seems to me that surely SOME of it must include automatic
    updating...

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  15. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    On 10.10.2007 08:42 UK Time, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > BarryM wrote:

    >> Thanks, anyway -- but see my reply to Peter. I've used freeware a lot
    >> in the past couple of decades, I think I might be better off paying
    >> for the automatic updates than spending a lot of extra time every year
    >> doing it manually.

    > You are assuming that no freeware updates automatically. Is this really
    > the case? I am not using freeware security software, so I really don't
    > know, but it seems to me that surely SOME of it must include automatic
    > updating...

    I think (but I'm not quite sure) that the free AVG anti-virus module
    updates itself automatically, while the anti-spyware module doesn't.

    Anyone interested in this issue may be interested in this thread:

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  16. Re: To Those Having McAfee Block Incoming E-Mail

    On 10/10/2007 12:42 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > BarryM wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> See
    >>>

    >> Thanks, anyway -- but see my reply to Peter. I've used freeware a lot
    >> in the past couple of decades, I think I might be better off paying
    >> for the automatic updates than spending a lot of extra time every year
    >> doing it manually.

    > You are assuming that no freeware updates automatically. Is this really
    > the case? I am not using freeware security software, so I really don't
    > know, but it seems to me that surely SOME of it must include automatic
    > updating...

    AVG updates automatically almost every day.

    --
    Irwin