Re: Won't Download Messages from Server - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Won't Download Messages from Server - Mozilla ; steven wrote: > I have thunderbird 2.0.0.6 which was working fine until yesterday. > T-Bird has always downloaded my messages from my server which is > Comcast. Today it won't download any messages, just spins. I can access > my ...

  1. Re: Won't Download Messages from Server

    steven wrote:
    > I have thunderbird 2.0.0.6 which was working fine until yesterday.
    > T-Bird has always downloaded my messages from my server which is
    > Comcast. Today it won't download any messages, just spins. I can access
    > my mail at the comcast webmail site. My newsgroups are working fine.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks

    Lots of people with the exact same problem -- myself included, on
    Comcast. See several posts further down in this group. It's a problem
    with McAfee, which appears to have started with their latest update.
    (And I just tried updating it -- I heard there was a fix -- and it told
    me that no updates are available! )

    Here's the frequently posted temporary fix, posted recently:

    McAfee: Please hold windows key in your key board near ctrl key and
    press R (Windows key+R)(same as start/run)
    McAfee: You will get a run window.
    McAfee: Please type services.msc in the run window and click Ok.
    McAfee: Please look for McAfee redirector service in the list and right
    click and click stop.
    Following the same steps and clicking "Start" will turn the firewall
    back on.
    Use at your discretion but it does instantly allow your e-mail to download.

    I have had similar problems in the past and assumed it was the Comcast
    servers. But now I believe it is McAfee, especially since /some/ of my
    email accounts are working via TB (gmail, for example), but none of my
    Comcast accounts can receive, only send.

    Since my subscription is about to end anyway, I think I'll try the AVG
    suite for a year, and dump McAfee....

    - Barry

  2. Re: Won't Download Messages from Server

    On 10/6/2007 BarryM wrote:
    > Since my subscription is about to end anyway, I think I'll try the
    > AVG suite for a year, and dump McAfee....

    Good idea! In the interim try this patch for McAfee:
    http://download.mcafee.com/products/.../Eml1005_1.exe

    --
    Irwin