RSS messages downloaded multiple times - Mozilla

This is a discussion on RSS messages downloaded multiple times - Mozilla ; Hi! Until recently, I have been using Opera to manage my RSS feeds, but yesterday I decided to try Thunderbird. I have quite a few RSS feeds, and I moved most of them to Thunderbird. In Opera, there was never ...

  1. RSS messages downloaded multiple times

    Hi!

    Until recently, I have been using Opera to manage my RSS feeds, but
    yesterday I decided to try Thunderbird. I have quite a few RSS feeds, and
    I moved most of them to Thunderbird. In Opera, there was never a problem
    with the feeds, but in Thunderbird I have a problem with some of them. The
    troublesome feeds are all from the same source (finn.no).

    I've set Thunderbird up to download messages every 5 minutes, and the
    problem is that it always downloads every message - even those it
    downloaded last time. I currently have 13250 unread RSS messages - from
    feeds I usually get about 10 per day on.

    I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6. What might be the problem, and is there a
    fix? I assume finn.no might be doing something wrong, but it has worked
    fine in Opera... Anyone?

    CR

  2. Re: RSS messages downloaded multiple times

    C Rygg wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Until recently, I have been using Opera to manage my RSS feeds, but
    > yesterday I decided to try Thunderbird. I have quite a few RSS feeds,
    > and I moved most of them to Thunderbird. In Opera, there was never a
    > problem with the feeds, but in Thunderbird I have a problem with some of
    > them. The troublesome feeds are all from the same source (finn.no).
    >
    > I've set Thunderbird up to download messages every 5 minutes, and the
    > problem is that it always downloads every message - even those it
    > downloaded last time. I currently have 13250 unread RSS messages - from
    > feeds I usually get about 10 per day on.
    >
    > I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6. What might be the problem, and is there a
    > fix? I assume finn.no might be doing something wrong, but it has worked
    > fine in Opera... Anyone?
    >
    > CR

    Welcome to the Thunderbird RSS duplication issue.

    It seems to happen to random rss feeds - and when it does, I have been
    unable to get it to not do it. Deleting them, re-adding them, rebuilding
    indexes, nothing I do fixes the issue.

    There is a *long* outstanding bug on this issue, but attempts to fix it
    seem to be for naught - I think there are multiple causes which also
    depend on location. The addons.mozilla rss feed for new thunderbird
    extensions does it for me - without fail, when my laptop is at work. As
    soon as I get home, it stops the duplicates.

    I've given up that it will get fixed.

  3. Re: RSS messages downloaded multiple times

    Bed wrote:
    > C Rygg wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Until recently, I have been using Opera to manage my RSS feeds, but
    >> yesterday I decided to try Thunderbird. I have quite a few RSS feeds,
    >> and I moved most of them to Thunderbird. In Opera, there was never a
    >> problem with the feeds, but in Thunderbird I have a problem with some of
    >> them. The troublesome feeds are all from the same source (finn.no).
    >>
    >> I've set Thunderbird up to download messages every 5 minutes, and the
    >> problem is that it always downloads every message - even those it
    >> downloaded last time. I currently have 13250 unread RSS messages - from
    >> feeds I usually get about 10 per day on.
    >>
    >> I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6. What might be the problem, and is there a
    >> fix? I assume finn.no might be doing something wrong, but it has worked
    >> fine in Opera... Anyone?
    >>
    >> CR

    > Welcome to the Thunderbird RSS duplication issue.
    >
    > It seems to happen to random rss feeds - and when it does, I have been
    > unable to get it to not do it. Deleting them, re-adding them, rebuilding
    > indexes, nothing I do fixes the issue.
    >
    > There is a *long* outstanding bug on this issue, but attempts to fix it
    > seem to be for naught - I think there are multiple causes which also
    > depend on location. The addons.mozilla rss feed for new thunderbird
    > extensions does it for me - without fail, when my laptop is at work. As
    > soon as I get home, it stops the duplicates.
    >
    > I've given up that it will get fixed.

    In the sentence above:

    > The addons.mozilla rss feed for new thunderbird
    > extensions does it for me - without fail, when my laptop is at work.

    I don't understand. Which extension? Does that extension solve the
    problem? Thanks.
    --

    Larry
    rapp at lmr dot com

  4. Re: RSS messages downloaded multiple times

    Larry Rappaport wrote:

    > In the sentence above:
    >
    > > The addons.mozilla rss feed for new thunderbird
    > > extensions does it for me - without fail, when my laptop is at work.

    > I don't understand. Which extension? Does that extension solve the
    > problem? Thanks.

    No extension, the rss feed is "for new thunderbird extensions"... ie

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...ted/format:rss

  5. Re: RSS messages downloaded multiple times

    Bed wrote:
    > Larry Rappaport wrote:
    >>
    >> In the sentence above:
    >>
    >> > The addons.mozilla rss feed for new thunderbird
    >> > extensions does it for me - without fail, when my laptop is at work.

    >> I don't understand. Which extension? Does that extension solve the
    >> problem? Thanks.

    > No extension, the rss feed is "for new thunderbird extensions"... ie
    >
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...ted/format:rss

    The easiest workaround to this problem I have found is to get one of the
    extensions that solve this problem by automatically searching for
    duplicate messages and allowing you to remove all but one.

    A few exist to my knowledge, I currently use and like one called "Remove
    Duplicate Messages (Alternate) v0.1.5". Search for it, and install it,
    then just right-click on any folder and select Remove Duplicates... and
    2 seconds later, all subfolders will have been processed and your
    duplicates removed (once you click to confirm in the pop up dialog).
    Easy and works well.

    A small price to pay for this persistent but annoying bug in otherwise
    great software.

    HTH,

    ~Greg out.

  6. Re: RSS messages downloaded multiple times

    Greg Lockwood wrote:
    > Bed wrote:
    >> Larry Rappaport wrote:
    >>> In the sentence above:

    >>> I don't understand. Which extension? Does that extension solve the
    >>> problem? Thanks.

    >> No extension, the rss feed is "for new thunderbird extensions"... ie
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...ted/format:rss
    >>

    > The easiest workaround to this problem I have found is to get one of the
    > extensions that solve this problem by automatically searching for
    > duplicate messages and allowing you to remove all but one.
    >
    > A few exist to my knowledge, I currently use and like one called "Remove
    > Duplicate Messages (Alternate) v0.1.5". Search for it, and install it,
    > then just right-click on any folder and select Remove Duplicates... and
    > 2 seconds later, all subfolders will have been processed and your
    > duplicates removed (once you click to confirm in the pop up dialog).
    > Easy and works well.
    >
    > A small price to pay for this persistent but annoying bug in otherwise
    > great software.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > ~Greg out.

    Thanks, Greg,

    I had used the other extension, but it didn't work on RSS feeds. Thanks.
    --

    Larry
    rapp at lmr dot com

  7. RSS debug logs

    Bed wrote:
    > Larry Rappaport wrote:
    >>
    >> In the sentence above:
    >>
    >> > The addons.mozilla rss feed for new thunderbird
    >> > extensions does it for me - without fail, when my laptop is at work.

    >> I don't understand. Which extension? Does that extension solve the
    >> problem? Thanks.

    > No extension, the rss feed is "for new thunderbird extensions"... ie
    >
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...ted/format:rss

    I'm really interested in trying to track down the cause of my
    duplication issue with the above feed, as I have a stable replication
    environment at work.

    This page
    (http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailn...t.html#General)
    details how to turn on debug logging for IMAP, POP, NNTP, or SMTP, but
    not RSS feeds. Does anyone know how I can turn on the debug logs for RSS ?

    Cheers,
    Bed

  8. Re: RSS debug logs

    Bed wrote:
    > Bed wrote:
    >> Larry Rappaport wrote:
    >>>
    >>> In the sentence above:

    >>> I don't understand. Which extension? Does that extension solve the
    >>> problem? Thanks.

    >> No extension, the rss feed is "for new thunderbird extensions"... ie
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...ted/format:rss

    > I'm really interested in trying to track down the cause of my
    > duplication issue with the above feed, as I have a stable replication
    > environment at work.
    >
    > This page
    > (http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailn...t.html#General)
    > details how to turn on debug logging for IMAP, POP, NNTP, or SMTP, but
    > not RSS feeds. Does anyone know how I can turn on the debug logs for RSS ?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Bed

    Check out the equivalent page for Firefox and see if it deals with the RSS
    feed protocols. I think the Tb is using the same backend code that Fx devs
    created for Fx, just adapted to the Tb UI.

    --
    Ron K.

+ Reply to Thread