All Portable, or mixed setup? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on All Portable, or mixed setup? - Mozilla ; I'm considering setting up Thunderbird and Firefox profiles for my wife on a USB stick using the portable versions of TB and FF. However, I'm not sure whether it would be best to leave the TB and FF setup on ...

  1. All Portable, or mixed setup?

    I'm considering setting up Thunderbird and Firefox profiles for my wife
    on a USB stick using the portable versions of TB and FF.

    However, I'm not sure whether it would be best to leave the TB and FF
    setup on her main desktop PC as it is and ask her to *synchronise* her
    main TB and FF profiles with the portable profiles as and when required,
    or whether to *move* her profiles over to the USB stick so that she
    would always use the USB version for all her TB and FF activities, i.e.
    both at home on her main desktop and 'on the road'.

    I suspect that the 'all portable' approach might be preferable because
    my wife would probably find the synchronisation routine irritating.

    The downside is the risk of the USB stick getting lost.

    Any comments/advice regarding this particular situation?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  2. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    Herb wrote:
    > I'm considering setting up Thunderbird and Firefox profiles for my wife
    > on a USB stick using the portable versions of TB and FF.
    >
    > However, I'm not sure whether it would be best to leave the TB and FF
    > setup on her main desktop PC as it is and ask her to *synchronise* her
    > main TB and FF profiles with the portable profiles as and when required,
    > or whether to *move* her profiles over to the USB stick so that she
    > would always use the USB version for all her TB and FF activities, i.e.
    > both at home on her main desktop and 'on the road'.

    I would just go with the portable

    > I suspect that the 'all portable' approach might be preferable because
    > my wife would probably find the synchronisation routine irritating.

    yes it would be especially if she's not sure of whats going
    on, or how to do it properly. One wrong step and you can
    lose everything

    > The downside is the risk of the USB stick getting lost.

    I know of people who have tied theirs around their neck,
    made a necklace out of it, put it on key chains, and even
    make an ear ring

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    On 01.10.2007 08:21 UK Time, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >> I'm considering setting up Thunderbird and Firefox profiles for my
    >> wife on a USB stick using the portable versions of TB and FF.
    >>
    >> However, I'm not sure whether it would be best to leave the TB and FF
    >> setup on her main desktop PC as it is and ask her to *synchronise* her
    >> main TB and FF profiles with the portable profiles as and when
    >> required, or whether to *move* her profiles over to the USB stick so
    >> that she would always use the USB version for all her TB and FF
    >> activities, i.e. both at home on her main desktop and 'on the road'.

    > I would just go with the portable

    Thanks for the recommendation.

    >> I suspect that the 'all portable' approach might be preferable because
    >> my wife would probably find the synchronisation routine irritating.

    > yes it would be especially if she's not sure of whats going on, or how
    > to do it properly. One wrong step and you can lose everything

    Yes, indeed. I hadn't thought of that - thanks for the warning.

    >> The downside is the risk of the USB stick getting lost.

    > I know of people who have tied theirs around their neck, made a necklace
    > out of it, put it on key chains, and even make an ear ring

    See also :-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  4. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    On 01.10.2007 08:43 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 01.10.2007 08:21 UK Time, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:
    >>> I'm considering setting up Thunderbird and Firefox profiles for my
    >>> wife on a USB stick using the portable versions of TB and FF.
    >>>
    >>> However, I'm not sure whether it would be best to leave the TB and FF
    >>> setup on her main desktop PC as it is and ask her to *synchronise*
    >>> her main TB and FF profiles with the portable profiles as and when
    >>> required, or whether to *move* her profiles over to the USB stick so
    >>> that she would always use the USB version for all her TB and FF
    >>> activities, i.e. both at home on her main desktop and 'on the road'.

    >> I would just go with the portable

    > Thanks for the recommendation.

    OK, I did it, and it seems to work well, although (understandably?) a
    little slower than before. Is this to be expected, or could the reason
    be that my wife's relatively old PC doesn't have USB2?

    How can I check whether the USB ports are USB1 or USB2?

    Another question: it would appear that the portable version of TB2 isn't
    available yet, right?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    *-* On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 15:50:49 +0100,
    *-* In Article 4fOdndxBDuJVPZranZ2dnUVZ_vKunZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Herb wrote
    *-* About Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    [ ... ]

    > Another question: it would appear that the portable version of TB2
    > isn't available yet, right?

    No, it's current:

    http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...rbird_portable

    for English,

    http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...e/localization

    for instructions on setting it up to use with other languages.

    According to

    http://portableapps.com/news/2007-08...rtable_2.0.0.6

    Portable TB 2.0.0.6 was released August 2, meaning it's been available
    for over two months.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  6. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    Herb wrote:
    > On 01.10.2007 08:43 UK Time, Herb wrote:

    >>> I would just go with the portable

    >> Thanks for the recommendation.

    > OK, I did it, and it seems to work well, although (understandably?) a
    > little slower than before. Is this to be expected, or could the reason
    > be that my wife's relatively old PC doesn't have USB2?
    >
    > How can I check whether the USB ports are USB1 or USB2?

    Right click on My Computer, select Properties, Device
    Manager tab, then look for something called "Universal
    serial bus controller." Open that up and if you see USB 2.0
    Root Hub, then you've got it.

    If it doesn't show anything, then get a program called
    belarc: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html, and that
    should tell you.

    > Another question: it would appear that the portable version of TB2 isn't
    > available yet, right?

    Where are you looking? They have 2.0.0.6:
    http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...rbird_portable

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    On 06.10.2007 16:28 UK Time, Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 15:50:49 +0100,
    > *-* In Article 4fOdndxBDuJVPZranZ2dnUVZ_vKunZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* Herb wrote
    > *-* About Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?
    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    >> Another question: it would appear that the portable version of TB2
    >> isn't available yet, right?

    > No, it's current:
    >
    > http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...rbird_portable
    >
    > for English,
    >
    > http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...e/localization
    >
    > for instructions on setting it up to use with other languages.
    >
    > According to
    >
    > http://portableapps.com/news/2007-08...rtable_2.0.0.6
    >
    > Portable TB 2.0.0.6 was released August 2, meaning it's been available
    > for over two months.
    >
    > Ken Whiton

    Hi Ken,

    thanks for the info.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  8. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    On 06.10.2007 16:32 UK Time, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >> OK, I did it, and it seems to work well, although (understandably?) a
    >> little slower than before. Is this to be expected, or could the reason
    >> be that my wife's relatively old PC doesn't have USB2?
    >>
    >> How can I check whether the USB ports are USB1 or USB2?

    > Right click on My Computer, select Properties, Device Manager tab, then
    > look for something called "Universal serial bus controller." Open that
    > up and if you see USB 2.0 Root Hub, then you've got it.

    Thanks. As I suspected, my wife's computer doesn't appear to have USB2 :-(

    Am I right in assuming (not just for portable TB and FF, but also for
    other purposes/applications) that it would be a good idea to upgrade
    here PC with a USB2 card?

    > If it doesn't show anything, then get a program called belarc:
    > http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html, and that should tell you.

    OK, thanks, I have Belarc on my own PC but had forgotten that it
    provides this kind of information.

    >> Another question: it would appear that the portable version of TB2
    >> isn't available yet, right?

    > Where are you looking? They have 2.0.0.6:
    > http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...rbird_portable

    I think I concluded from the information at the bottom of
    that TB
    1.5 is the latest portable version, which clearly isn't the case as
    pointed out by Ken and yourself.

    Anyway, for some reason the PortableApps suite I downloaded the other
    day contained TB 1.5, not TB 2.

    However, according to

    upgrading is straightforward, so I'll get on the case.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  9. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    Herb wrote:
    > On 06.10.2007 16:32 UK Time, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >>> OK, I did it, and it seems to work well, although (understandably?) a
    >>> little slower than before. Is this to be expected, or could the reason
    >>> be that my wife's relatively old PC doesn't have USB2?
    >>>
    >>> How can I check whether the USB ports are USB1 or USB2?

    >> Right click on My Computer, select Properties, Device Manager tab, then
    >> look for something called "Universal serial bus controller." Open that
    >> up and if you see USB 2.0 Root Hub, then you've got it.

    > Thanks. As I suspected, my wife's computer doesn't appear to have USB2 :-(
    >
    > Am I right in assuming (not just for portable TB and FF, but also for
    > other purposes/applications) that it would be a good idea to upgrade
    > here PC with a USB2 card?

    I don't know if you can just upgrade the drivers for usb1,
    or if you actually need a usb2 card? I would suspect the
    latter.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  10. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    On 08.10.2007 18:23 UK Time, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    >>> Right click on My Computer, select Properties, Device Manager tab,
    >>> then look for something called "Universal serial bus controller."
    >>> Open that up and if you see USB 2.0 Root Hub, then you've got it.

    >> Thanks. As I suspected, my wife's computer doesn't appear to have USB2
    >> :-(
    >>
    >> Am I right in assuming (not just for portable TB and FF, but also for
    >> other purposes/applications) that it would be a good idea to upgrade
    >> here PC with a USB2 card?

    > I don't know if you can just upgrade the drivers for usb1, or if you
    > actually need a usb2 card? I would suspect the latter.

    Yes, thanks, I'll get a USB2 card - they are quite cheap.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  11. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    *-* On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 10:22:51 +0100,
    *-* In Article 0J-dnSNnj8pxa5TanZ2dnUVZ_qKgnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Herb wrote
    *-* About Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    > On 06.10.2007 16:32 UK Time, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> OK, I did it, and it seems to work well, although
    >>> (understandably?) a little slower than before. Is this to be
    >>> expected, or could the reason be that my wife's relatively old PC
    >>> doesn't have USB2?

    >>> How can I check whether the USB ports are USB1 or USB2?

    >> Right click on My Computer, select Properties, Device Manager tab,
    >> then look for something called "Universal serial bus controller."
    >> Open that up and if you see USB 2.0 Root Hub, then you've got it.

    > Thanks. As I suspected, my wife's computer doesn't appear to have
    > USB2 :-(

    > Am I right in assuming (not just for portable TB and FF, but also
    > for other purposes/applications) that it would be a good idea to
    > upgrade here PC with a USB2 card?

    As long as the computer has an available slot to install the card
    in, go for it. I have a friend who has a 2002-2003-vintage computer.
    When he got a GPS device a couple of years ago it required USB 2.0,
    which his computer didn't have. He installed a USB 2.0 card and has
    been quite happy with the results, not just for his GPS device but for
    USB in general.

    >> If it doesn't show anything, then get a program called belarc:
    >> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html, and that should tell you.

    > OK, thanks, I have Belarc on my own PC but had forgotten that it
    > provides this kind of information.

    >>> Another question: it would appear that the portable version of TB2
    >>> isn't available yet, right?

    >> Where are you looking? They have 2.0.0.6:
    >> http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...rbird_portable

    > I think I concluded from the information at the bottom of
    >
    > that TB 1.5 is the latest portable version, which clearly isn't the
    > case as pointed out by Ken and yourself.

    > Anyway, for some reason the PortableApps suite I downloaded the
    > other day contained TB 1.5, not TB 2.

    Guessing that although the standalone Portable Thunderbird is
    current the Suite may not have been updated to include it.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  12. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    On 08.10.2007 22:15 UK Time, Ken Whiton wrote:

    >> Am I right in assuming (not just for portable TB and FF, but also
    >> for other purposes/applications) that it would be a good idea to
    >> upgrade here PC with a USB2 card?

    > As long as the computer has an available slot to install the card
    > in, go for it. I have a friend who has a 2002-2003-vintage computer.
    > When he got a GPS device a couple of years ago it required USB 2.0,
    > which his computer didn't have. He installed a USB 2.0 card and has
    > been quite happy with the results, not just for his GPS device but for
    > USB in general.

    OK, thanks, I'll get a USB2 card.

    >> Anyway, for some reason the PortableApps suite I downloaded the
    >> other day contained TB 1.5, not TB 2.

    > Guessing that although the standalone Portable Thunderbird is
    > current the Suite may not have been updated to include it.

    Yes, it seems so. Anyway, I upgraded the USB stick to TB2 'manually',
    and it all seems fine now.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  13. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    On 06.10.2007 15:50 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 01.10.2007 08:43 UK Time, Herb wrote:

    >>> I would just go with the portable

    >> Thanks for the recommendation.

    > OK, I did it, and it seems to work well

    Actually, there is one issue:

    When my wife clicks on a link in portable TB and portable FF isn't open
    at the time, the system tries to open the normal (non-portable) version
    of FF (but can't open it because it thinks FF is already running).

    Does this mean portable FF isn't set as the default browser, and if not,
    how can I 'overwrite' the normal FF version and make portable FF the
    default?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  14. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    On 11.10.2007 06:26 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 06.10.2007 15:50 UK Time, Herb wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the recommendation.

    >> OK, I did it, and it seems to work well

    > Actually, there is one issue:
    >
    > When my wife clicks on a link in portable TB and portable FF isn't open
    > at the time, the system tries to open the normal (non-portable) version
    > of FF (but can't open it because it thinks FF is already running).
    >
    > Does this mean portable FF isn't set as the default browser, and if not,
    > how can I 'overwrite' the normal FF version and make portable FF the
    > default?

    No comments on this issue?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  15. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    Herb wrote:
    > On 11.10.2007 06:26 UK Time, Herb wrote:

    >>> OK, I did it, and it seems to work well

    >> Actually, there is one issue:
    >>
    >> When my wife clicks on a link in portable TB and portable FF isn't open
    >> at the time, the system tries to open the normal (non-portable) version
    >> of FF (but can't open it because it thinks FF is already running).
    >>
    >> Does this mean portable FF isn't set as the default browser, and if not,
    >> how can I 'overwrite' the normal FF version and make portable FF the
    >> default?
    >>

    > No comments on this issue?

    why don't you ask in their forums:
    http://portableapps.com/forums

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  16. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    On 12.10.2007 06:56 UK Time, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> When my wife clicks on a link in portable TB and portable FF isn't
    >>> open at the time, the system tries to open the normal (non-portable)
    >>> version of FF (but can't open it because it thinks FF is already
    >>> running).
    >>>
    >>> Does this mean portable FF isn't set as the default browser, and if
    >>> not, how can I 'overwrite' the normal FF version and make portable FF
    >>> the default?
    >>>

    >> No comments on this issue?
    >>

    > why don't you ask in their forums: http://portableapps.com/forums

    Thanks - I was kind of hoping there might be a simple/obvious answer.

    I see Miles (is it 'our' Miles?) posted the same question back in July
    and was told off for not searching the archives =-O

    I have to admit I don't really understand some of the comments/replies
    at .

    One of the suggestions was
    "Search, download, install and configure C.A.F.E. in your thumb..."

    I'm afraid I don't know what C.A.F.E. is and where to go from here :-\

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  17. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    Herb wrote:

    >>> No comments on this issue?
    >>>

    >> why don't you ask in their forums: http://portableapps.com/forums

    > Thanks - I was kind of hoping there might be a simple/obvious answer.
    >
    > I see Miles (is it 'our' Miles?) posted the same question back in July
    > and was told off for not searching the archives =-O
    >
    > I have to admit I don't really understand some of the comments/replies
    > at .

    second response to Miles first question: "Please search"
    which probably means the question has already been asked before.

    > One of the suggestions was
    > "Search, download, install and configure C.A.F.E. in your thumb..."
    >
    > I'm afraid I don't know what C.A.F.E. is and where to go from here :-\

    also, if you search for CAFE there, then you would have been
    lead to this: http://portableapps.com/node/7816 and then
    from there to this: http://clef.usb.googlepages.com/cafe

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  18. Re: All Portable, or mixed setup?

    On 12.10.2007 17:05 UK Time, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > also, if you search for CAFE there, then you would have been lead to
    > this: http://portableapps.com/node/7816 and then from there to this:
    > http://clef.usb.googlepages.com/cafe

    Fascinating, thank you.

    Unfortunately my French is embarrassingly poor.

    Perhaps I should simply install/run the "TÚlÚcharger" (i.e. cafe.exe)
    and see that happens?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk