My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1 - Mozilla ; I was using my Outlook Express to read my newsgroups but suddenly OE have developed leaking Virtual memory, which is causing major problems for using OE. I have lost all my Mozilla news messages 4 times today, and it really ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    I was using my Outlook Express to read my newsgroups but suddenly OE
    have developed leaking Virtual memory, which is causing major problems
    for using OE.

    I have lost all my Mozilla news messages 4 times today, and it really
    driving me up the wall. So I'm trying Eudora instead.

    I have managed to get the Mozilla newsgroups back up, and they seem to
    be working, hopefully I'll find out when I post this message.

    My first problem is, I use Giganews for a few of my news groups, and
    have tried to enter my GN Username and Password, but it keeps giving me
    an error saying wrong Username and Password, but I know they are right
    can somebody help please.

    Thank you.

    John

  2. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    John wrote:
    > I was using my Outlook Express to read my newsgroups but suddenly OE
    > have developed leaking Virtual memory, which is causing major problems
    > for using OE.
    >
    > I have lost all my Mozilla news messages 4 times today, and it really
    > driving me up the wall. So I'm trying Eudora instead.

    Strangely enough, your message headers say that you are using Thunderbird
    2.0.0.6 for Windows.

    > I have managed to get the Mozilla newsgroups back up, and they seem to
    > be working, hopefully I'll find out when I post this message.
    >
    > My first problem is, I use Giganews for a few of my news groups, and
    > have tried to enter my GN Username and Password, but it keeps giving me
    > an error saying wrong Username and Password, but I know they are right
    > can somebody help please.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John

    I don't know about Giganews; these here newsgroups can be reached with no
    username or password on the news.mozilla.org newsserver. I think they are
    actually operated by Giganews, archived on Google Groups, and mirrored both
    ways on a mailing list, but I don't know the details.

    If you were saying step-by-step what you were actually doing and the actual
    messages from the program (Eudora or Thunderbird?), someone (not me) might
    understand your problem well enough to give you a solution.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.

  3. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    John wrote:
    > I was using my Outlook Express to read my newsgroups but suddenly OE
    > have developed leaking Virtual memory, which is causing major problems
    > for using OE.
    >
    > I have lost all my Mozilla news messages 4 times today, and it really
    > driving me up the wall. So I'm trying Eudora instead.
    >
    > I have managed to get the Mozilla newsgroups back up, and they seem to
    > be working, hopefully I'll find out when I post this message.
    >
    > My first problem is, I use Giganews for a few of my news groups, and
    > have tried to enter my GN Username and Password, but it keeps giving me
    > an error saying wrong Username and Password, but I know they are right
    > can somebody help please.

    Certainly. Use Thunderbird. Get it, two clicks away, at:

    Then don't go through Giganews, but subscribe to news.mozilla.org
    directly and *you won't need a password* at all. In Thunderbird simply
    follow:
    Tools/Account Settings/Add Account
    Then do a Newsgroup Setup by entering news.mozilla.org as the Server.
    Then Subscribe to the various Newsgroups such as Thunderbird.

    You will really enjoy using Thunderbird for Newsgroups and Mail.

    --
    Gus

  4. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >> I was using my Outlook Express to read my newsgroups but suddenly OE
    >> have developed leaking Virtual memory, which is causing major problems
    >> for using OE.
    >>
    >> I have lost all my Mozilla news messages 4 times today, and it really
    >> driving me up the wall. So I'm trying Eudora instead.

    > Strangely enough, your message headers say that you are using
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 for Windows.
    >

    >> I have managed to get the Mozilla newsgroups back up, and they seem to
    >> be working, hopefully I'll find out when I post this message.
    >>
    >> My first problem is, I use Giganews for a few of my news groups, and
    >> have tried to enter my GN Username and Password, but it keeps giving
    >> me an error saying wrong Username and Password, but I know they are
    >> right can somebody help please.
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> John

    > I don't know about Giganews; these here newsgroups can be reached with
    > no username or password on the news.mozilla.org newsserver. I think they
    > are actually operated by Giganews, archived on Google Groups, and
    > mirrored both ways on a mailing list, but I don't know the details.
    >
    > If you were saying step-by-step what you were actually doing and the
    > actual messages from the program (Eudora or Thunderbird?), someone (not
    > me) might understand your problem well enough to give you a solution.

    Dang it, I was going to check his news reader and decided to take him at
    his word - that will teach me.

    --
    Gus

  5. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >> I was using my Outlook Express to read my newsgroups but suddenly OE
    >> have developed leaking Virtual memory, which is causing major problems
    >> for using OE.
    >>
    >> I have lost all my Mozilla news messages 4 times today, and it really
    >> driving me up the wall. So I'm trying Eudora instead.

    > Strangely enough, your message headers say that you are using
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 for Windows.
    >

    >> I have managed to get the Mozilla newsgroups back up, and they seem to
    >> be working, hopefully I'll find out when I post this message.
    >>
    >> My first problem is, I use Giganews for a few of my news groups, and
    >> have tried to enter my GN Username and Password, but it keeps giving
    >> me an error saying wrong Username and Password, but I know they are
    >> right can somebody help please.
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> John

    > I don't know about Giganews; these here newsgroups can be reached with
    > no username or password on the news.mozilla.org newsserver. I think they
    > are actually operated by Giganews, archived on Google Groups, and
    > mirrored both ways on a mailing list, but I don't know the details.
    >
    > If you were saying step-by-step what you were actually doing and the
    > actual messages from the program (Eudora or Thunderbird?), someone (not
    > me) might understand your problem well enough to give you a solution.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Hi Tony, it is definitely Eudora 8.0.0b1., but the one that has been
    taken over by Thunderbird. Wish I could post a picture to show you. Have
    to admit it does look like Thunderbird.

    I've added news-europe.giganews.com as one of my news feeders? (mot sure
    if that's what its called) I also have the Mozilla news feeder and
    another one called news.individual.net. The news.individual.net account
    had no problems accepting my username and password and all newsgroups I
    belong to on there downloaded fine, but the giganews account just keeps
    saying username and password are wrong. So not sure why that is happening.

    I click on subscribe, then boxes come up for my username and password,
    fill then in, and box pops up with the message

    A News (NNTP) error occured: Invalid username and password

    Thank you.
    John.

  6. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    Gus Richter wrote:

    > Dang it, I was going to check his news reader and decided to take him at
    > his word - that will teach me.

    Ok, I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about here, and I
    dont understand why you felt the need to post that. maybe you could
    enlighten me?

    Thnak yuo.

    John

  7. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    Gus Richter wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >> I was using my Outlook Express to read my newsgroups but suddenly OE
    >> have developed leaking Virtual memory, which is causing major problems
    >> for using OE.
    >>
    >> I have lost all my Mozilla news messages 4 times today, and it really
    >> driving me up the wall. So I'm trying Eudora instead.
    >>
    >> I have managed to get the Mozilla newsgroups back up, and they seem to
    >> be working, hopefully I'll find out when I post this message.
    >>
    >> My first problem is, I use Giganews for a few of my news groups, and
    >> have tried to enter my GN Username and Password, but it keeps giving
    >> me an error saying wrong Username and Password, but I know they are
    >> right can somebody help please.

    > Certainly. Use Thunderbird. Get it, two clicks away, at:
    >
    > Then don't go through Giganews, but subscribe to news.mozilla.org
    > directly and *you won't need a password* at all. In Thunderbird simply
    > follow:
    > Tools/Account Settings/Add Account
    > Then do a Newsgroup Setup by entering news.mozilla.org as the Server.
    > Then Subscribe to the various Newsgroups such as Thunderbird.
    >
    > You will really enjoy using Thunderbird for Newsgroups and Mail.

    The problem is, I have other news groups I can read through
    news.individual.net, I know about the mozilla news groups and you can
    only get mozilla groups ion this from Mozlilla, being free, but I also
    have some newsgroups I read through giganews. From what I understand
    giganews is no different from news.individual.net so I should be able to
    use my username and password.

    So I dont know why I cant.

    John.

  8. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    John wrote:
    > Gus Richter wrote:
    >> John wrote:
    >>> I was using my Outlook Express to read my newsgroups but suddenly OE
    >>> have developed leaking Virtual memory, which is causing major
    >>> problems for using OE.
    >>>
    >>> I have lost all my Mozilla news messages 4 times today, and it really
    >>> driving me up the wall. So I'm trying Eudora instead.
    >>>
    >>> I have managed to get the Mozilla newsgroups back up, and they seem
    >>> to be working, hopefully I'll find out when I post this message.
    >>>
    >>> My first problem is, I use Giganews for a few of my news groups, and
    >>> have tried to enter my GN Username and Password, but it keeps giving
    >>> me an error saying wrong Username and Password, but I know they are
    >>> right can somebody help please.

    >> Certainly. Use Thunderbird. Get it, two clicks away, at:
    >>
    >> Then don't go through Giganews, but subscribe to news.mozilla.org
    >> directly and *you won't need a password* at all. In Thunderbird simply
    >> follow:
    >> Tools/Account Settings/Add Account
    >> Then do a Newsgroup Setup by entering news.mozilla.org as the Server.
    >> Then Subscribe to the various Newsgroups such as Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> You will really enjoy using Thunderbird for Newsgroups and Mail.
    >>

    > The problem is, I have other news groups I can read through
    > news.individual.net, I know about the mozilla news groups and you can
    > only get mozilla groups ion this from Mozlilla, being free, but I also
    > have some newsgroups I read through giganews. From what I understand
    > giganews is no different from news.individual.net so I should be able to
    > use my username and password.
    >
    > So I dont know why I cant.
    >
    > John.

    Just for an FYI, here's the link to the Eudora site that might explain a
    bit for you.

    http://filehippo.com/download_eudora/

    John.

  9. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    Gus Richter wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >> I was using my Outlook Express to read my newsgroups but suddenly OE
    >> have developed leaking Virtual memory, which is causing major problems
    >> for using OE.
    >>
    >> I have lost all my Mozilla news messages 4 times today, and it really
    >> driving me up the wall. So I'm trying Eudora instead.
    >>
    >> I have managed to get the Mozilla newsgroups back up, and they seem to
    >> be working, hopefully I'll find out when I post this message.
    >>
    >> My first problem is, I use Giganews for a few of my news groups, and
    >> have tried to enter my GN Username and Password, but it keeps giving
    >> me an error saying wrong Username and Password, but I know they are
    >> right can somebody help please.

    > Certainly. Use Thunderbird. Get it, two clicks away, at:
    >
    > Then don't go through Giganews, but subscribe to news.mozilla.org
    > directly and *you won't need a password* at all. In Thunderbird simply
    > follow:
    > Tools/Account Settings/Add Account
    > Then do a Newsgroup Setup by entering news.mozilla.org as the Server.
    > Then Subscribe to the various Newsgroups such as Thunderbird.
    >
    > You will really enjoy using Thunderbird for Newsgroups and Mail.

    Or, you could use the program that you have now, Eudora, since it is
    based on Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, and use the same directions above. I have
    been using it with the newsgroup for several days now, and haven't had
    any issues with it.

    Steve

  10. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    Gus Richter wrote:
    [...]
    > Dang it, I was going to check his news reader and decided to take him at
    > his word - that will teach me.

    With "Display Mail User Agent Extension"
    http://cweiske.de/misc_extensions.htm#dispMUA , Thunderbird displays the
    originating user-agent's icon near top right of the Message window, and (I
    think it's in plain-vanilla Tb) there is a check box in the prefs to display
    the UA string under "From" "To" and "Subject". BTW unlike what the author of
    dispMUA says in the "main" extension page (but contradicts mealymouthily in
    the "explanation" page) that extension works for me with neither Enigmail nor
    Mnenhy installed. But I display the UA in clear in addition to the icon (in Tb
    2.0.0.7pre).

    The OP could be masquerading -- or can Eudora do it? Many MUAs can: With Lynx
    (for Linux or Windows) it is very easy, for SeaMonkey it's just a matter of
    delving into about:config, I think Thunderbird can do it too. But I've never
    used Eudora.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

  11. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:

    > With "Display Mail User Agent Extension"
    > http://cweiske.de/misc_extensions.htm#dispMUA , Thunderbird displays the
    > originating user-agent's icon near top right of the Message window, and
    > (I think it's in plain-vanilla Tb) there is a check box in the prefs to
    > display the UA string under "From" "To" and "Subject". BTW unlike what
    > the author of dispMUA says in the "main" extension page (but contradicts
    > mealymouthily in the "explanation" page) that extension works for me
    > with neither Enigmail nor Mnenhy installed. But I display the UA in
    > clear in addition to the icon (in Tb 2.0.0.7pre).
    >
    > The OP could be masquerading -- or can Eudora do it? Many MUAs can: With
    > Lynx (for Linux or Windows) it is very easy, for SeaMonkey it's just a
    > matter of delving into about:config, I think Thunderbird can do it too.
    > But I've never used Eudora.

    8.0 allows one to override, just as in Thunderbird. The key (in
    about:config) is: general.useragent.override.

    Steve

  12. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Gus Richter wrote:
    > [...]
    >> Dang it, I was going to check his news reader and decided to take him
    >> at his word - that will teach me.
    >>

    > With "Display Mail User Agent Extension"
    > http://cweiske.de/misc_extensions.htm#dispMUA , Thunderbird displays the
    > originating user-agent's icon near top right of the Message window, and
    > (I think it's in plain-vanilla Tb) there is a check box in the prefs to
    > display the UA string under "From" "To" and "Subject". BTW unlike what
    > the author of dispMUA says in the "main" extension page (but contradicts
    > mealymouthily in the "explanation" page) that extension works for me
    > with neither Enigmail nor Mnenhy installed. But I display the UA in
    > clear in addition to the icon (in Tb 2.0.0.7pre).
    >
    > The OP could be masquerading -- or can Eudora do it? Many MUAs can: With
    > Lynx (for Linux or Windows) it is very easy, for SeaMonkey it's just a
    > matter of delving into about:config, I think Thunderbird can do it too.
    > But I've never used Eudora.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Here is a picture of my screen showing Eudora.

    http://www.furrycritters.co.uk/Galle...ra+Picture.jpg

    If you look at the left side you can see the news groups I use, they
    aren't many.

    the giganews is the bottom one.

    John.

  13. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    John wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> Gus Richter wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>> Dang it, I was going to check his news reader and decided to take him
    >>> at his word - that will teach me.
    >>>

    >> With "Display Mail User Agent Extension"
    >> http://cweiske.de/misc_extensions.htm#dispMUA , Thunderbird displays
    >> the originating user-agent's icon near top right of the Message
    >> window, and (I think it's in plain-vanilla Tb) there is a check box in
    >> the prefs to display the UA string under "From" "To" and "Subject".
    >> BTW unlike what the author of dispMUA says in the "main" extension
    >> page (but contradicts mealymouthily in the "explanation" page) that
    >> extension works for me with neither Enigmail nor Mnenhy installed. But
    >> I display the UA in clear in addition to the icon (in Tb 2.0.0.7pre).
    >>
    >> The OP could be masquerading -- or can Eudora do it? Many MUAs can:
    >> With Lynx (for Linux or Windows) it is very easy, for SeaMonkey it's
    >> just a matter of delving into about:config, I think Thunderbird can do
    >> it too. But I've never used Eudora.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > Here is a picture of my screen showing Eudora.
    >
    > http://www.furrycritters.co.uk/Galle...ra+Picture.jpg
    >
    > If you look at the left side you can see the news groups I use, they
    > aren't many.
    >
    > the giganews is the bottom one.
    >
    > John.

    You should have the server set for port 119 (the default), and SSL OFF,
    and Always authenticate.
    Make sure your password is correct, and case DOES matter.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  14. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > You should have the server set for port 119 (the default), and SSL OFF,
    > and Always authenticate.
    > Make sure your password is correct, and case DOES matter.

    Hi Ron, thank you for your reply,

    unfortunately that means nothing to me. Where would I find that, so I
    can check it?

    Thank you.

    John.

  15. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    John wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >

    >> You should have the server set for port 119 (the default), and SSL
    >> OFF, and Always authenticate.
    >> Make sure your password is correct, and case DOES matter.
    >>

    > Hi Ron, thank you for your reply,
    >
    > unfortunately that means nothing to me. Where would I find that, so I
    > can check it?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John.

    If you were using Thunderbird, it would be in your Account settings for the
    account in question (under Tools => Account settings => (account name) =>
    Server settings). Since you aren't, maybe you ought to find some Eudora
    support list.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    BEDEVERE: And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

  16. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>

    >>> You should have the server set for port 119 (the default), and SSL
    >>> OFF, and Always authenticate.
    >>> Make sure your password is correct, and case DOES matter.
    >>>

    >> Hi Ron, thank you for your reply,
    >>
    >> unfortunately that means nothing to me. Where would I find that, so I
    >> can check it?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> John.

    > If you were using Thunderbird, it would be in your Account settings for
    > the account in question (under Tools => Account settings => (account
    > name) => Server settings). Since you aren't, maybe you ought to find
    > some Eudora support list.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Well, it looks like ti could be the same. From your directions it takes
    me to where you are talking about.

  17. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    John wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> John wrote:

    >>> Hi Ron, thank you for your reply,
    >>>
    >>> unfortunately that means nothing to me. Where would I find that, so I
    >>> can check it?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> John.

    >> If you were using Thunderbird, it would be in your Account settings
    >> for the account in question (under Tools => Account settings =>
    >> (account name) => Server settings). Since you aren't, maybe you ought
    >> to find some Eudora support list.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > Well, it looks like ti could be the same. From your directions it takes
    > me to where you are talking about.

    Apologies fro the last post, as I am not sure about this program, once
    I'd spell checked it sent it straight away, and I need to change that
    somehow.

    From the picture, and looking at my Thunderbird Program settings it
    looks very similar.

    This is from Eudora.

    http://www.furrycritters.co.uk/Galle...a+Picture3.jpg

    John.

  18. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    John wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >> Tony Mechelynck wrote:

    >>> If you were using Thunderbird, it would be in your Account settings
    >>> for the account in question (under Tools => Account settings =>
    >>> (account name) => Server settings). Since you aren't, maybe you ought
    >>> to find some Eudora support list.
    >>>

    >>> Best regards,
    >>> Tony.

    >> Well, it looks like ti could be the same. From your directions it
    >> takes me to where you are talking about.
    >>

    > Apologies fro the last post, as I am not sure about this program, once
    > I'd spell checked it sent it straight away, and I need to change that
    > somehow.
    >
    > From the picture, and looking at my Thunderbird Program settings it
    > looks very similar.
    >
    > This is from Eudora.
    >
    > http://www.furrycritters.co.uk/Galle...a+Picture3.jpg
    >
    > John.

    From reading that link I posted, it looks like Thunderbird and Eudora
    are the same now, as Thunderbird took it over. People using Thunderbird
    can download something to make their Thunderbird look like Eudora.

    John.

  19. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    > Or, you could use the program that you have now, Eudora, since it is
    > based on Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, and use the same directions above. I have
    > been using it with the newsgroup for several days now, and haven't had
    > any issues with it.
    >
    > Steve

    Can I ask Steve, do you use Thunderbird or Eudora? Do you know if there
    is a Eudora help? Or are the Thunderbird people using Thunderbird
    newsgroups for Eudora> I cant find any Eudora Groups.

    Thank for your help.

    John.

  20. Re: My first post here, using Eudora 8.0.0b1

    John wrote:

    >> Or, you could use the program that you have now, Eudora, since it is
    >> based on Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, and use the same directions above. I
    >> have been using it with the newsgroup for several days now, and
    >> haven't had any issues with it.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Can I ask Steve, do you use Thunderbird or Eudora? Do you know if there
    > is a Eudora help? Or are the Thunderbird people using Thunderbird
    > newsgroups for Eudora> I cant find any Eudora Groups.
    >
    > Thank for your help.
    >
    > John.

    Hi, this is something else I have managed to find out about Eudora.

    http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=20078

    Hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast