can't forward email message with certain attachment - Mozilla

This is a discussion on can't forward email message with certain attachment - Mozilla ; Hello all, I tried to do a search on the group to see if this issue had been covered before, but it is such a weird problem that I couldn't find any matches. Here's the story. I get emails from ...

  1. can't forward email message with certain attachment

    Hello all,

    I tried to do a search on the group to see if this issue had been covered
    before, but it is such a weird problem that I couldn't find any matches.

    Here's the story.

    I get emails from a music promoter called Live Nation, they send updates of
    the latest concerts and shows in my area. Recently they sent an email for
    very cheap tickets for an upcoming concert. I clicked the link, went to the
    page and ordered the tickets. The email also said I could forward it to
    friends so they could get the tickets too.

    If I forward the email Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 says it was sent, but it never
    arrives. I can't even forward it to myself. If I delete the attachment
    before sending it goes right through. I've tried disabling and even
    uninstalling my AV with no luck. Any ideas?

    Of course my ISP (Roadrunner from Time Warner Cable) says that the problem
    is with Thunderbird.

    Running WINXP PRO SP2.

    drax

  2. Re: can't forward email message with certain attachment

    Thunderbird Leader drax teletyped on date 9/15/2007 10:37 PM ...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I tried to do a search on the group to see if this issue had been covered
    > before, but it is such a weird problem that I couldn't find any matches.
    >
    > Here's the story.
    >
    > I get emails from a music promoter called Live Nation, they send updates of
    > the latest concerts and shows in my area. Recently they sent an email for
    > very cheap tickets for an upcoming concert. I clicked the link, went to the
    > page and ordered the tickets. The email also said I could forward it to
    > friends so they could get the tickets too.
    >
    > If I forward the email Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 says it was sent, but it never
    > arrives. I can't even forward it to myself. If I delete the attachment
    > before sending it goes right through. I've tried disabling and even
    > uninstalling my AV with no luck. Any ideas?
    >
    > Of course my ISP (Roadrunner from Time Warner Cable) says that the problem
    > is with Thunderbird.
    >
    > Running WINXP PRO SP2.
    >
    > drax

    Tbird has two modes of doing Forwards, Inline and Attachment. Did You
    try the Inline mode from the Forward item of the Messages menu?

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  3. Re: can't forward email message with certain attachment

    drax wrote:

    > I get emails from a music promoter called Live Nation, they send updates of
    > the latest concerts and shows in my area. Recently they sent an email for
    > very cheap tickets for an upcoming concert. I clicked the link, went to the
    > page and ordered the tickets. The email also said I could forward it to
    > friends so they could get the tickets too.
    >
    > If I forward the email Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 says it was sent, but it never
    > arrives. I can't even forward it to myself. If I delete the attachment
    > before sending it goes right through. I've tried disabling and even
    > uninstalling my AV with no luck. Any ideas?

    Copy the link. Paste it into an email you send normally.

    See, this way you're not handing out your friends' email addresses
    without their permission to some outfit that will probably add them to
    their spam mailing list.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  4. Re: can't forward email message with certain attachment

    drax wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" wrote in message
    >> drax wrote:
    >>
    >>> I get emails from a music promoter called Live Nation, they send updates
    >>> of the latest concerts and shows in my area. Recently they sent an email
    >>> for very cheap tickets for an upcoming concert. I clicked the link, went
    >>> to the page and ordered the tickets. The email also said I could forward
    >>> it to friends so they could get the tickets too.
    >>>
    >>> If I forward the email Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 says it was sent, but it never
    >>> arrives. I can't even forward it to myself. If I delete the attachment
    >>> before sending it goes right through. I've tried disabling and even
    >>> uninstalling my AV with no luck. Any ideas?

    >> Copy the link. Paste it into an email you send normally.
    >>
    >> See, this way you're not handing out your friends' email addresses without
    >> their permission to some outfit that will probably add them to their spam
    >> mailing list.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Blinky RLU 297263
    >> Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >> The Usenet Improvement Project:
    >> http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28

    > I'm not sure I follow. How does forwarding an email to a friend add them to

    Are you plugging the address into a form box on the page you're trying
    to forward?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:

  5. Re: can't forward email message with certain attachment

    9/16/2007 12:34 PM 9 drax Ъ
    > "Ron K." wrote in message
    >
    >> Thunderbird Leader drax teletyped on date 9/15/2007 10:37 PM ...
    >>
    >>> Hello all,
    >>>
    >>> I tried to do a search on the group to see if this issue had been covered
    >>> before, but it is such a weird problem that I couldn't find any matches.
    >>>
    >>> Here's the story.
    >>>
    >>> I get emails from a music promoter called Live Nation, they send updates
    >>> of the latest concerts and shows in my area. Recently they sent an email
    >>> for very cheap tickets for an upcoming concert. I clicked the link, went
    >>> to the page and ordered the tickets. The email also said I could forward
    >>> it to friends so they could get the tickets too.
    >>>
    >>> If I forward the email Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 says it was sent, but it never
    >>> arrives. I can't even forward it to myself. If I delete the attachment
    >>> before sending it goes right through. I've tried disabling and even
    >>> uninstalling my AV with no luck. Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Of course my ISP (Roadrunner from Time Warner Cable) says that the
    >>> problem is with Thunderbird.
    >>>
    >>> Running WINXP PRO SP2.
    >>>
    >>> drax
    >>>

    >> Tbird has two modes of doing Forwards, Inline and Attachment. Did You try
    >> the Inline mode from the Forward item of the Messages menu?
    >>

    > Thanks, this seems to work. I wonder, however, why it would matter in some
    > cases and not others. the attachment was as .eml which worked fine in every
    > other case (that I know of).
    >
    > drax

    It appears that *.eml files (they are actualy HTML if the original was
    HTML) work better Inline even if the *.eml also has an *.eml embedded
    within the file your sending.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  6. Re: can't forward email message with certain attachment

    9/16/2007 1:20 PM 9 Blinky the Shark Ъ

    > drax wrote:
    >> "Blinky the Shark" wrote in message

    >>> Copy the link. Paste it into an email you send normally.
    >>>
    >>> See, this way you're not handing out your friends' email addresses
    >>> without their permission to some outfit that will probably add them
    >>> to their spam mailing list.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Blinky RLU 297263
    >>> Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >>> The Usenet Improvement Project:
    >>> http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28

    >> I'm not sure I follow. How does forwarding an email to a friend add

    > Are you plugging the address into a form box on the page you're trying
    > to forward?

    I have to join the OP in a huhu moment here. The deal the OP is working
    with is forwarding mail messages with *.eml attachments. The default
    Forward is attachment mode and it was not working. Use of the Inline
    mode with it's friendly attitude toward the *.eml saved message format
    is called for in this case. In fact I have seen this mode work with two
    or three layers of *.eml messages embedded within the message being
    forwarded. All the layers of messages were displayed in the Tb message
    pane complete with the images that were inserted inline with in the
    nested *.eml's.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  7. Re: can't forward email message with certain attachment

    Ron K. wrote:
    > 9/16/2007 1:20 PM 9 Blinky the Shark Ъ
    >>
    >> drax wrote:
    >>> "Blinky the Shark" wrote in message

    >>> I'm not sure I follow. How does forwarding an email to a friend add

    >> Are you plugging the address into a form box on the page you're trying
    >> to forward?
    >>

    > I have to join the OP in a huhu moment here. The deal the OP is working
    > with is forwarding mail messages with *.eml attachments. The default
    > Forward is attachment mode and it was not working. Use of the Inline
    > mode with it's friendly attitude toward the *.eml saved message format
    > is called for in this case. In fact I have seen this mode work with two
    > or three layers of *.eml messages embedded within the message being
    > forwarded. All the layers of messages were displayed in the Tb message
    > pane complete with the images that were inserted inline with in the
    > nested *.eml's.

    I read him as talking about clicking on a web site's "SEND LINK TO A
    FRIEND!" form, which sends what is essentially spam to the "friend"
    (since *he* didn't request it) and harvests the unwitting "friend"'s
    address for future spamming.

    If this is not what the original setup was, then my comments were
    misinformed.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:

  8. Re: can't forward email message with certain attachment

    9/16/2007 6:19 PM 9 Blinky the Shark Ъ

    drax wrote:
    "Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message news:golur4-j7m.ln1@thurston.blinkynet.net...
    drax wrote:

    I get emails from a music promoter called Live Nation, they send updates of the latest concerts and shows in my area.* Recently they sent an email for very cheap tickets for an upcoming concert.* I clicked the link, went to the page and ordered the tickets.* The email also said I could forward it to friends so they could get the tickets too.

    If I forward the email Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 says it was sent, but it never arrives.* I can't even forward it to myself.* If I delete the attachment before sending it goes right through.* I've tried disabling and even uninstalling my AV with no luck.* Any ideas?
    Copy the link.* Paste it into an email you send normally.

    See, this way you're not handing out your friends' email addresses without their permission to some outfit that will probably add them to their spam mailing list.

    --*
    Blinky********************** ************************* *** RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org* <----------- New Site Aug 28
    I'm not sure I follow.* How does forwarding an email to a friend add them to a spam mailing list?
[...]

    Note my HTML Bold Green highlight above.

    -- Ron K. Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  9. Re: can't forward email message with certain attachment

    > drax wrote:
    >> "Blinky the Shark" wrote in message

    >>> Copy the link. Paste it into an email you send normally.
    >>>
    >>> See, this way you're not handing out your friends' email addresses
    >>> without their permission to some outfit that will probably add them to
    >>> their spam mailing list.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Blinky RLU 297263
    >>> Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >>> The Usenet Improvement Project:
    >>> http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28

    >> I'm not sure I follow. How does forwarding an email to a friend add them

    > Are you plugging the address into a form box on the page you're trying to
    > forward?

    No, not at all. I was trying to forward an email I received that had an
    embedded link to get some cheap tickets. Thunderbird was saying that it had
    sent the forwarded message when in fact it had not. Changing the way TB
    handled the forward from attachment to inline fixed the problem.

    drax

  10. Re: can't forward email message with certain attachment

    I can guess where you're pointing.

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/ronk.jpg

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <------------- New Site Aug 28

  11. Re: can't forward email message with certain attachment

    drax wrote:
    > "Ron K." wrote in message
    >> Thunderbird Leader drax teletyped on date 9/15/2007 10:37 PM ...
    >>> Hello all,
    >>>
    >>> I tried to do a search on the group to see if this issue had been covered
    >>> before, but it is such a weird problem that I couldn't find any matches.
    >>>
    >>> Here's the story.
    >>>
    >>> I get emails from a music promoter called Live Nation, they send updates
    >>> of the latest concerts and shows in my area. Recently they sent an email
    >>> for very cheap tickets for an upcoming concert. I clicked the link, went
    >>> to the page and ordered the tickets. The email also said I could forward
    >>> it to friends so they could get the tickets too.
    >>>
    >>> If I forward the email Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 says it was sent, but it never
    >>> arrives. I can't even forward it to myself. If I delete the attachment
    >>> before sending it goes right through. I've tried disabling and even
    >>> uninstalling my AV with no luck. Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Of course my ISP (Roadrunner from Time Warner Cable) says that the
    >>> problem is with Thunderbird.
    >>>
    >>> Running WINXP PRO SP2.
    >>>
    >>> drax
    >>>

    >> Tbird has two modes of doing Forwards, Inline and Attachment. Did You try
    >> the Inline mode from the Forward item of the Messages menu?
    >>

    > Thanks, this seems to work. I wonder, however, why it would matter in some
    > cases and not others. the attachment was as .eml which worked fine in every
    > other case (that I know of).
    >
    > drax

    I seem to recall someone saying that either their ISP or a recipient's
    ISP, stripped .eml attachments as part of their anti-virus scanning on
    the mail server. Or something like that. :-)

    Since it works to *some* of your recipients, but not others, I would
    suspect that it is *not* your ISP doing the stripping, but a particular
    ISP(s).

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread