Adding music to email - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Adding music to email - Mozilla ; Good Day, I would like to add some music to email presentations I send to my friends. Is there a way to add music to an email? I have used the background to do this, but the music does not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Adding music to email

    Good Day,

    I would like to add some music to email presentations I send to my
    friends. Is there a way to add music to an email?

    I have used the background to do this, but the music does not
    automatically start when the email is open and I would like it to start
    automatically.

    Thanks All

  2. Re: Adding music to email

    Thunderbird Leader David teletyped on date 9/15/2007 6:43 PM ...
    > Good Day,
    >
    > I would like to add some music to email presentations I send to my
    > friends. Is there a way to add music to an email?
    >
    > I have used the background to do this, but the music does not
    > automatically start when the email is open and I would like it to
    > start automatically.
    >
    > Thanks All

    If the recipients are also using Tb this will not work as Tb user builds
    do not support plugins. Send the sound file as an attachment and let
    the recipient assign a helper application to play the attachment.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  3. Re: Adding music to email

    David wrote:
    > Good Day,
    >
    > I would like to add some music to email presentations I send to my
    > friends. Is there a way to add music to an email?
    >
    > I have used the background to do this, but the music does not
    > automatically start when the email is open and I would like it to start
    > automatically.
    >
    > Thanks All

    if you were one of my friends, and you sent me an email with
    music playing as soon as I opened it, you wouldn't be my
    friend any longer. I'd have your messages go automatically
    to the crap can. As Ron said, send the music as an
    attachment, and let me decide what to do with it.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: Adding music to email

    In article <0JCdnTlaO8hpwnHbnZ2dnUVZ_sOrnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    awinc@eastlink.ca says...
    > Good Day,
    >
    > I would like to add some music to email presentations I send to my
    > friends. Is there a way to add music to an email?
    >
    > I have used the background to do this, but the music does not
    > automatically start when the email is open and I would like it to start
    > automatically.
    >
    > Thanks All

    Sending music as part of an email is very presumptuous. It is a total
    waste of bandwidth, particularly if any of your "friends" happen to be
    on dial-up. It takes up wasted space in peoples' inboxes (many ISP
    email servers have inbox size limits), and is even worse, IMHO, than
    people sending HTML emails adorned with graphics.

    And of course you also have the problem that not everyone uses Windows!
    So music files use different player in different operating systems.

    I agree with the previous posters - if you absolutely, positively,
    compellingly MUST send music via email, then send it as an attachment.
    Then the recipient can either save it and play it or they can simply
    delete it (which I would).

    --

    NightStalker

  5. Re: Adding music to email

    NightStalker wrote:
    > In article <0JCdnTlaO8hpwnHbnZ2dnUVZ_sOrnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    > awinc@eastlink.ca says...
    >> Good Day,
    >>
    >> I would like to add some music to email presentations I send to my
    >> friends. Is there a way to add music to an email?
    >>
    >> I have used the background to do this, but the music does not
    >> automatically start when the email is open and I would like it to start
    >> automatically.
    >>
    >> Thanks All

    > Sending music as part of an email is very presumptuous. It is a total
    > waste of bandwidth, particularly if any of your "friends" happen to be
    > on dial-up. It takes up wasted space in peoples' inboxes (many ISP
    > email servers have inbox size limits), and is even worse, IMHO, than
    > people sending HTML emails adorned with graphics.
    >
    > And of course you also have the problem that not everyone uses Windows!
    > So music files use different player in different operating systems.
    >
    > I agree with the previous posters - if you absolutely, positively,
    > compellingly MUST send music via email, then send it as an attachment.
    > Then the recipient can either save it and play it or they can simply
    > delete it (which I would).

    Indeed!

    Better yet, put it up to some web space and provide a link. Then the
    "friends" (friends don't send friends huge unwanted files) don't have to
    download it just to ignore it.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  6. Re: Adding music to email

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > NightStalker wrote:
    >> In article <0JCdnTlaO8hpwnHbnZ2dnUVZ_sOrnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    >> awinc@eastlink.ca says...
    >>> Good Day,
    >>>
    >>> I would like to add some music to email presentations I send to my
    >>> friends. Is there a way to add music to an email?
    >>>
    >>> I have used the background to do this, but the music does not
    >>> automatically start when the email is open and I would like it to
    >>> start automatically.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks All

    >> Sending music as part of an email is very presumptuous. It is a total
    >> waste of bandwidth, particularly if any of your "friends" happen to be
    >> on dial-up. It takes up wasted space in peoples' inboxes (many ISP
    >> email servers have inbox size limits), and is even worse, IMHO, than
    >> people sending HTML emails adorned with graphics.
    >>
    >> And of course you also have the problem that not everyone uses
    >> Windows! So music files use different player in different operating
    >> systems.
    >>
    >> I agree with the previous posters - if you absolutely, positively,
    >> compellingly MUST send music via email, then send it as an
    >> attachment. Then the recipient can either save it and play it or they
    >> can simply delete it (which I would).

    > Indeed!
    >
    > Better yet, put it up to some web space and provide a link. Then the
    > "friends" (friends don't send friends huge unwanted files) don't have to
    > download it just to ignore it.

    I have sent music as an attachment before so will continue to use this
    method to my "willing" friends. The remainder will continue to receive
    my normal emails.

    Thanks to all who responded.

  7. Re: Adding music to email

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Better yet, put it up to some web space and provide a link. Then the
    > "friends" (friends don't send friends huge unwanted files) don't have to
    > download it just to ignore it.

    but the thing that annoys me are those who insist on having
    background music on websites. For some, those can cause all
    sorts of problems, like slowness of loading of the site,
    cause its trying to load and play the music at the same time
    as trying to download and display an image intensive page.
    Luckily for me, I have a bookmarklet that can zap that music
    and the site then loads without problems.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Adding music to email

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Better yet, put it up to some web space and provide a link. Then the
    >> "friends" (friends don't send friends huge unwanted files) don't have to
    >> download it just to ignore it.

    > but the thing that annoys me are those who insist on having
    > background music on websites. For some, those can cause all
    > sorts of problems, like slowness of loading of the site,
    > cause its trying to load and play the music at the same time
    > as trying to download and display an image intensive page.
    > Luckily for me, I have a bookmarklet that can zap that music
    > and the site then loads without problems.

    You forgot to mention: the odds are damn slim that I want to hear their
    flippin' music in the first place.

    I also hate the TinyPic-type sites. Somebody puts up what ahould simply
    be a 55k image and you have to download 400k of other images for the
    layout of the page before you can see it. I don't. I just don't go there.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:

  9. Re: Adding music to email

    NightStalker wrote:
    > In article <0JCdnTlaO8hpwnHbnZ2dnUVZ_sOrnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    > awinc@eastlink.ca says...
    >> Good Day,
    >>
    >> I would like to add some music to email presentations I send to my
    >> friends. Is there a way to add music to an email?
    >>
    >> I have used the background to do this, but the music does not
    >> automatically start when the email is open and I would like it to start
    >> automatically.
    >>
    >> Thanks All

    > Sending music as part of an email is very presumptuous. It is a total
    > waste of bandwidth, particularly if any of your "friends" happen to be
    > on dial-up. It takes up wasted space in peoples' inboxes (many ISP
    > email servers have inbox size limits), and is even worse, IMHO, than
    > people sending HTML emails adorned with graphics.

    I totally agree with you, and the biggest thorn in my side is IncrediMail! :-(

    As for music in e-mail, how else can you torture someone, it's even worse
    than surfing the I'Net at 3 a.m. and suddenly happen on a URL that plays
    rock music when you enter...of course waking the wife who says you have to
    cook breakfast for waking her up. ;-)

    > And of course you also have the problem that not everyone uses Windows!
    > So music files use different player in different operating systems.
    >
    > I agree with the previous posters - if you absolutely, positively,
    > compellingly MUST send music via email, then send it as an attachment.
    > Then the recipient can either save it and play it or they can simply
    > delete it (which I would).

  10. Re: Adding music to email

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Better yet, put it up to some web space and provide a link. Then the
    >> "friends" (friends don't send friends huge unwanted files) don't have to
    >> download it just to ignore it.

    > but the thing that annoys me are those who insist on having
    > background music on websites. For some, those can cause all
    > sorts of problems, like slowness of loading of the site,
    > cause its trying to load and play the music at the same time
    > as trying to download and display an image intensive page.
    > Luckily for me, I have a bookmarklet that can zap that music
    > and the site then loads without problems.

    What is a bookmarklet and how do you use it to zap music on a website? I
    find music on a website totally annoying and if one comes up from a
    search, I just close out of it. Maybe the next page will be better and
    without noise.

  11. Re: Adding music to email

    David wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>

    >> NightStalker wrote:
    >>> In article <0JCdnTlaO8hpwnHbnZ2dnUVZ_sOrnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    >>> awinc@eastlink.ca says...

    >>> Sending music as part of an email is very presumptuous. It is a
    >>> total waste of bandwidth, particularly if any of your "friends"
    >>> happen to be on dial-up. It takes up wasted space in peoples'
    >>> inboxes (many ISP email servers have inbox size limits), and is even
    >>> worse, IMHO, than people sending HTML emails adorned with graphics.
    >>>
    >>> And of course you also have the problem that not everyone uses
    >>> Windows! So music files use different player in different operating
    >>> systems.
    >>>
    >>> I agree with the previous posters - if you absolutely, positively,
    >>> compellingly MUST send music via email, then send it as an
    >>> attachment. Then the recipient can either save it and play it or
    >>> they can simply delete it (which I would).

    >> Indeed!
    >>
    >> Better yet, put it up to some web space and provide a link. Then the
    >> "friends" (friends don't send friends huge unwanted files) don't have
    >> to download it just to ignore it.
    >>

    > I have sent music as an attachment before so will continue to use this
    > method to my "willing" friends. The remainder will continue to receive
    > my normal emails.

    Good for you David. For a "proper response" to your question, go to:

    mozilla.test.multimedia

    There are very helpful folks there that will help and not lecture.

    --
    Gus

  12. Re: Adding music to email

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>
    >>> Better yet, put it up to some web space and provide a link. Then the
    >>> "friends" (friends don't send friends huge unwanted files) don't have to
    >>> download it just to ignore it.

    >> but the thing that annoys me are those who insist on having
    >> background music on websites. For some, those can cause all
    >> sorts of problems, like slowness of loading of the site,
    >> cause its trying to load and play the music at the same time
    >> as trying to download and display an image intensive page.
    >> Luckily for me, I have a bookmarklet that can zap that music
    >> and the site then loads without problems.
    >>

    > What is a bookmarklet and how do you use it to zap music on a website? I
    > find music on a website totally annoying and if one comes up from a
    > search, I just close out of it. Maybe the next page will be better and
    > without noise.

    a bookmarklet is similar to a bookmark, but contains
    javascript that can perform a certain function. Similar to
    a macro.

    Go here: https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html
    and get the zap bookmarklet you want. Drag the icon to your
    bookmark toolbar. Visit a site with background music. Click
    on the bookmarklet and it'll zap that music crap.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  13. Re: Adding music to email

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> but the thing that annoys me are those who insist on having
    >>> background music on websites. For some, those can cause all
    >>> sorts of problems, like slowness of loading of the site,
    >>> cause its trying to load and play the music at the same time
    >>> as trying to download and display an image intensive page.
    >>> Luckily for me, I have a bookmarklet that can zap that music
    >>> and the site then loads without problems.
    >>>

    >> What is a bookmarklet and how do you use it to zap music on a website? I
    >> find music on a website totally annoying and if one comes up from a
    >> search, I just close out of it. Maybe the next page will be better and
    >> without noise.

    > a bookmarklet is similar to a bookmark, but contains
    > javascript that can perform a certain function. Similar to
    > a macro.
    >
    > Go here: https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html
    > and get the zap bookmarklet you want. Drag the icon to your
    > bookmark toolbar. Visit a site with background music. Click
    > on the bookmarklet and it'll zap that music crap.

    Thank you. It doesn't make the music stop on this page. I got the Zap
    plugins one. Either I'm not using it right or it just doesn't work here.
    This is one page I use a lot and well ...

    http://www.ccdstubeheaven.com/tubesmainindex.html

  14. Re: Adding music to email

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Tonya Marshall wrote:

    >>> What is a bookmarklet and how do you use it to zap music on a website? I
    >>> find music on a website totally annoying and if one comes up from a
    >>> search, I just close out of it. Maybe the next page will be better and
    >>> without noise.

    >> a bookmarklet is similar to a bookmark, but contains
    >> javascript that can perform a certain function. Similar to
    >> a macro.
    >>
    >> Go here: https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html
    >> and get the zap bookmarklet you want. Drag the icon to your
    >> bookmark toolbar. Visit a site with background music. Click
    >> on the bookmarklet and it'll zap that music crap.
    >>

    > Thank you. It doesn't make the music stop on this page. I got the Zap
    > plugins one. Either I'm not using it right or it just doesn't work here.
    > This is one page I use a lot and well ...
    >
    > http://www.ccdstubeheaven.com/tubesmainindex.html

    it works for me. How are you using it? Visit the site, and
    click on the bookmarklet? Did you drag the zap icon to your
    bookmark toolbar?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  15. Re: Adding music to email

    On 9/17/07 1:37 PM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly:
    > it works for me. How are you using it? Visit the site, and click on
    > the bookmarklet? Did you drag the zap icon to your bookmark toolbar?

    As far as I know, bookmarklets do not apply to Thunderbird, and this is
    a Thunderbird newsgroup; so please take this discussion somewhere more
    appropriate. Thanks. :-)

    --
    Chris Ilias

  16. Re: Adding music to email

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> a bookmarklet is similar to a bookmark, but contains
    >>> javascript that can perform a certain function. Similar to
    >>> a macro.
    >>>
    >>> Go here: https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html
    >>> and get the zap bookmarklet you want. Drag the icon to your
    >>> bookmark toolbar. Visit a site with background music. Click
    >>> on the bookmarklet and it'll zap that music crap.
    >>>

    >> Thank you. It doesn't make the music stop on this page. I got the Zap
    >> plugins one. Either I'm not using it right or it just doesn't work here.
    >> This is one page I use a lot and well ...
    >>
    >> http://www.ccdstubeheaven.com/tubesmainindex.html

    > it works for me. How are you using it? Visit the site, and
    > click on the bookmarklet? Did you drag the zap icon to your
    > bookmark toolbar?

    I dragged the top one on this page up to my bookmarks toolbar, it's
    sitting there just fine but doesn't work when I click it.
    https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html

  17. Bookmarklets

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Tonya Marshall wrote:

    >>> Thank you. It doesn't make the music stop on this page. I got the Zap
    >>> plugins one. Either I'm not using it right or it just doesn't work here.
    >>> This is one page I use a lot and well ...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ccdstubeheaven.com/tubesmainindex.html

    >> it works for me. How are you using it? Visit the site, and
    >> click on the bookmarklet? Did you drag the zap icon to your
    >> bookmark toolbar?
    >>

    > I dragged the top one on this page up to my bookmarks toolbar, it's
    > sitting there just fine but doesn't work when I click it.
    > https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html

    This has been sent (I hope) to Firefox. Remove the Thunderbird reply
    link if you reply. Bookmarklets are now the subject.

  18. Bookmarklets

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Tonya Marshall wrote:

    >>> Thank you. It doesn't make the music stop on this page. I got the Zap
    >>> plugins one. Either I'm not using it right or it just doesn't work here.
    >>> This is one page I use a lot and well ...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ccdstubeheaven.com/tubesmainindex.html

    >> it works for me. How are you using it? Visit the site, and
    >> click on the bookmarklet? Did you drag the zap icon to your
    >> bookmark toolbar?
    >>

    > I dragged the top one on this page up to my bookmarks toolbar, it's
    > sitting there just fine but doesn't work when I click it.
    > https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html

    This has been sent (I hope) to Firefox. Remove the Thunderbird reply
    link if you reply. Bookmarklets are now the subject.

  19. Re: Adding music to email

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Tonya Marshall wrote:

    >>> Thank you. It doesn't make the music stop on this page. I got the Zap
    >>> plugins one. Either I'm not using it right or it just doesn't work here.
    >>> This is one page I use a lot and well ...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ccdstubeheaven.com/tubesmainindex.html

    >> it works for me. How are you using it? Visit the site, and
    >> click on the bookmarklet? Did you drag the zap icon to your
    >> bookmark toolbar?
    >>

    > I dragged the top one on this page up to my bookmarks toolbar, it's
    > sitting there just fine but doesn't work when I click it.
    > https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html

    NOTE: to satisfy the head Spam Moose's request, this is
    follow-uped to the mozilla.support.firefox newsgroup

    are you clicking on it while at squarefree's website, or the
    website http://www.ccdstubeheaven.com/tubesmainindex.html ?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  20. Re: Adding music to email