links in new browser windows - Mozilla

This is a discussion on links in new browser windows - Mozilla ; Hi, when I click a link in TB, it opens in a web browser. That's the behavior I would expect, of course. However, when I click another link in TB, it opens in the same browser window. This is really ...

  1. links in new browser windows

    Hi,
    when I click a link in TB, it opens in a web browser. That's the behavior I
    would expect, of course.
    However, when I click another link in TB, it opens in the same browser
    window.
    This is really annoying, as I often receive mails with numerous links and I
    want to open each one in a new window.
    Is it configurable or do I have to hope for this feature in one of the
    future TB versions?
    Thanx for replying.
    Regards,
    MPS

  2. Re: links in new browser windows

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:43:10 +0200, in message <6LydnevevIrqsHfbnZ2dnUVZ_sGvnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    MPS wrote:

    > Hi,
    > when I click a link in TB, it opens in a web browser. That's the behavior I
    > would expect, of course.
    > However, when I click another link in TB, it opens in the same browser
    > window.
    > This is really annoying, as I often receive mails with numerous links and I
    > want to open each one in a new window.
    > Is it configurable or do I have to hope for this feature in one of the
    > future TB versions?

    It is configurable, but the configuration is in your browser.

    If your browser is Firefox 2.0.0.6 then see
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link.open_external
    for the setting.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  3. Re: links in new browser windows

    MPS wrote:
    > Hi,
    > when I click a link in TB, it opens in a web browser. That's the behavior I
    > would expect, of course.
    > However, when I click another link in TB, it opens in the same browser
    > window.
    > This is really annoying, as I often receive mails with numerous links and I
    > want to open each one in a new window.

    That (a new window for each) sounds annoying to me. Why not have them
    open in a new tab? (You can set either, I believe, in Tab Mix Plus, if
    not in FF itself.)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  4. Re: links in new browser windows

    On 9/14/2007 1:05 AM, Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:43:10 +0200, in message <6LydnevevIrqsHfbnZ2dnUVZ_sGvnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    > MPS wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> when I click a link in TB, it opens in a web browser. That's the behavior I
    >> would expect, of course.
    >> However, when I click another link in TB, it opens in the same browser
    >> window.
    >> This is really annoying, as I often receive mails with numerous links and I
    >> want to open each one in a new window.
    >> Is it configurable or do I have to hope for this feature in one of the
    >> future TB versions?

    > It is configurable, but the configuration is in your browser.
    >
    > If your browser is Firefox 2.0.0.6 then see
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link.open_external
    > for the setting.
    >

    >> Thanx for replying.
    >> Regards,
    >> MPS

    That link also provides the setting for SeaMonkey.

    --

    David E. Ross
    .

    bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. 1997

  5. Re: links in new browser windows

    On 9/14/2007 5:34 AM, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > MPS wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> when I click a link in TB, it opens in a web browser. That's the behavior I
    >> would expect, of course.
    >> However, when I click another link in TB, it opens in the same browser
    >> window.
    >> This is really annoying, as I often receive mails with numerous links and I
    >> want to open each one in a new window.

    > That (a new window for each) sounds annoying to me. Why not have them
    > open in a new tab? (You can set either, I believe, in Tab Mix Plus, if
    > not in FF itself.)

    The original poster in this thread wants a new window. There is no
    accounting for taste. (De gustibus non est desputandum.)

    Actually, that's the way I want it too:

    * Links from other Web pages (using SeaMonkey as my browser) that try
    to force a new window, I want opened in a new tab in the current window.

    * Links from other applications (not SeaMonkey), I want opened in a new
    window. The opened page might have links that I want to open in new
    tabs. I might have several tabs already open in my primary window and
    don't want additional tabs there.

    Fortunately, SeaMonkey (and I presume Firefox too) allows this
    distinction.

    --

    David E. Ross
    .

    bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. 1997

  6. Re: links in new browser windows

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 9/14/2007 5:34 AM, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> MPS wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> when I click a link in TB, it opens in a web browser. That's the behavior I
    >>> would expect, of course.
    >>> However, when I click another link in TB, it opens in the same browser
    >>> window.
    >>> This is really annoying, as I often receive mails with numerous links and I
    >>> want to open each one in a new window.

    >> That (a new window for each) sounds annoying to me. Why not have them
    >> open in a new tab? (You can set either, I believe, in Tab Mix Plus, if
    >> not in FF itself.)

    > The original poster in this thread wants a new window. There is no

    I know that.

    > accounting for taste. (De gustibus non est desputandum.)

    Therefore, I offered another solution, of which I felt he may not have
    thought -- especially given IE's old
    new-window-and-another-taskbar-button-for-everything behavior and the
    possibility that he's a recent move to FF who might still be caught in
    Microsoft narrowthink.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:

  7. Re: links in new browser windows

    *-* On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:38:20 -0700,
    *-* In Article t4mrr4-aaa.ln1@thurston.blinkynet.net,
    *-* Blinky the Shark wrote
    *-* About Re: links in new browser windows

    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >>> That (a new window for each) sounds annoying to me. Why not have
    >>> them open in a new tab? (You can set either, I believe, in Tab
    >>> Mix Plus, if not in FF itself.)

    FF has three options in that regard:

    a new window
    a new tab in the most recent window
    the most recent tab/window

    >> The original poster in this thread wants a new window. There is no

    > I know that.

    >> accounting for taste. (De gustibus non est desputandum.)

    > Therefore, I offered another solution, of which I felt he may not
    > have thought

    ... or may not have available.

    > -- especially given IE's old
    > new-window-and-another-taskbar-button-for-everything behavior and
    > the possibility that he's a recent move to FF who might still be
    > caught in Microsoft narrowthink.

    The original post contained no indication of what the browser in
    question is. It's entirely possible that it's Internet Exploder,
    especially since the post was made with Outbreak Distress.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  8. Re: links in new browser windows

    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:38:20 -0700,
    > *-* In Article t4mrr4-aaa.ln1@thurston.blinkynet.net,
    > *-* Blinky the Shark wrote
    > *-* About Re: links in new browser windows
    >
    >> David E. Ross wrote:

    > FF has three options in that regard:
    >
    > a new window
    > a new tab in the most recent window
    > the most recent tab/window
    >
    >>> The original poster in this thread wants a new window. There is no

    >> I know that.

    >>> accounting for taste. (De gustibus non est desputandum.)

    >> Therefore, I offered another solution, of which I felt he may not
    >> have thought

    > ... or may not have available.
    >
    >> -- especially given IE's old
    >> new-window-and-another-taskbar-button-for-everything behavior and
    >> the possibility that he's a recent move to FF who might still be
    >> caught in Microsoft narrowthink.

    > The original post contained no indication of what the browser in
    > question is. It's entirely possible that it's Internet Exploder,
    > especially since the post was made with Outbreak Distress.

    Absolutely! I missed that. I forgot people still used that.