Message timed-out - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Message timed-out - Mozilla ; When the webmail extension is working (even if there is not any messages to download) the computer slows down and the Windows Task Manager shows that a McAffee antivirus file is using more than 90% of CPU. (This did not ...

  1. Message timed-out

    When the webmail extension is working (even if there is not any messages
    to download) the computer slows down and the Windows Task Manager shows
    that a McAffee antivirus file is using more than 90% of CPU. (This did
    not happen before upgrading from TBird 1.5 to 2.) (To counter this I
    only check for webmail messages when I log-in.) Sometimes the result is
    that messages are not downloaded at all because the connection is timed
    out. How can I increase the time it keeps trying to download messages?

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

  2. Re: Message timed-out

    Eustace wrote:
    > When the webmail extension is working (even if there is not any messages
    > to download) the computer slows down and the Windows Task Manager shows
    > that a McAffee antivirus file is using more than 90% of CPU. (This did
    > not happen before upgrading from TBird 1.5 to 2.) (To counter this I
    > only check for webmail messages when I log-in.) Sometimes the result is
    > that messages are not downloaded at all because the connection is timed
    > out. How can I increase the time it keeps trying to download messages?
    >
    > Eustace

    webmail extension questions should be directed to their
    forum:
    http://groups.google.com/group/thund...mail-extension

    to increase the check interval, in account settings, under
    Server Settings for the account, there is an area for "check
    for new messages every xxx minutes"

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Message timed-out

    On 2007-09-13 12:41 Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Eustace wrote:
    >> When the webmail extension is working (even if there is not any
    >> messages to download) the computer slows down and the Windows Task
    >> Manager shows that a McAffee antivirus file is using more than 90% of
    >> CPU. (This did not happen before upgrading from TBird 1.5 to 2.) (To
    >> counter this I only check for webmail messages when I log-in.)
    >> Sometimes the result is that messages are not downloaded at all
    >> because the connection is timed out. How can I increase the time it
    >> keeps trying to download messages?
    >>
    >> Eustace
    >>

    > webmail extension questions should be directed to their forum:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/thund...mail-extension

    They always upgrade the webmail extensions, so I got used to waiting for
    their next upgrade... It could also be a McAffee problem. But I've read
    a lot of complaints about TBird slowing down the system, so I wouldn't
    exclude the possibility that it's a TBird problem.

    > to increase the check interval, in account settings, under Server
    > Settings for the account, there is an area for "check for new messages
    > every xxx minutes"

    You did not understand. I had that checkbox checked initially, but I
    unchecked it because it was slow down the whole system every x minutes
    and it was very irritating.

    What I am asking is how I can extend the time TBird is trying to
    download a message from a server before it gives up, because the
    slowdown of the whole system makes the downloading process last longer also.

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

  4. Re: Message timed-out

    On 2007-09-13 15:53 Eustace wrote:
    > On 2007-09-13 12:41 Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Eustace wrote:
    >>> When the webmail extension is working (even if there is not any
    >>> messages to download) the computer slows down and the Windows Task
    >>> Manager shows that a McAffee antivirus file is using more than 90% of
    >>> CPU. (This did not happen before upgrading from TBird 1.5 to 2.) (To
    >>> counter this I only check for webmail messages when I log-in.)
    >>> Sometimes the result is that messages are not downloaded at all
    >>> because the connection is timed out. How can I increase the time it
    >>> keeps trying to download messages?
    >>>
    >>> Eustace
    >>>

    >> webmail extension questions should be directed to their forum:
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/thund...mail-extension

    > They always upgrade the webmail extensions, so I got used to waiting for
    > their next upgrade... It could also be a McAffee problem. But I've read
    > a lot of complaints about TBird slowing down the system, so I wouldn't
    > exclude the possibility that it's a TBird problem.
    >>
    >> to increase the check interval, in account settings, under Server
    >> Settings for the account, there is an area for "check for new messages
    >> every xxx minutes"

    > You did not understand. I had that checkbox checked initially, but I
    > unchecked it because it was slow down the whole system every x minutes
    > and it was very irritating.
    >
    > What I am asking is how I can extend the time TBird is trying to
    > download a message from a server before it gives up, because the
    > slowdown of the whole system makes the downloading process last longer
    > also.
    >
    > Eustace

    The exact alert I get is:

    Connection to server localhost timed out.

    emf

  5. Re: Message timed-out

    Eustace wrote:
    > On 2007-09-13 15:53 Eustace wrote:

    >>> webmail extension questions should be directed to their forum:
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/thund...mail-extension

    >> They always upgrade the webmail extensions, so I got used to waiting for
    >> their next upgrade... It could also be a McAffee problem. But I've read
    >> a lot of complaints about TBird slowing down the system, so I wouldn't
    >> exclude the possibility that it's a TBird problem.
    >>> to increase the check interval, in account settings, under Server
    >>> Settings for the account, there is an area for "check for new messages
    >>> every xxx minutes"

    >> You did not understand. I had that checkbox checked initially, but I
    >> unchecked it because it was slow down the whole system every x minutes
    >> and it was very irritating.
    >>
    >> What I am asking is how I can extend the time TBird is trying to
    >> download a message from a server before it gives up, because the
    >> slowdown of the whole system makes the downloading process last longer
    >> also.
    >>
    >> Eustace

    > The exact alert I get is:
    >
    > Connection to server localhost timed out.
    >
    > emf

    it sounds more like its a problem with the extension timing
    out rather than TB timing out.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: Message timed-out

    *-* On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:53:34 -0400,
    *-* In Article qqmdnYFavP9dCXTbnZ2dnUVZ_sTinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Eustace wrote
    *-* About Re: Message timed-out

    [ ... ]

    > What I am asking is how I can extend the time TBird is trying to
    > download a message from a server before it gives up, because the
    > slowdown of the whole system makes the downloading process last
    > longer also.

    Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> [General tab]

    Connection timeout: [___] seconds

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  7. Re: Message timed-out

    On 2007-09-13 19:01 Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:53:34 -0400,
    > *-* In Article qqmdnYFavP9dCXTbnZ2dnUVZ_sTinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* Eustace wrote
    > *-* About Re: Message timed-out
    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    >> What I am asking is how I can extend the time TBird is trying to
    >> download a message from a server before it gives up, because the
    >> slowdown of the whole system makes the downloading process last
    >> longer also.

    > Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> [General tab]
    >
    > Connection timeout: [___] seconds
    >
    > Ken Whiton

    Actually it's on the [Network tab]. Thanks. -emf

  8. Re: Message timed-out

    *-* On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:37:40 -0400,
    *-* In Article _tudnWJ-IZs5QnbbnZ2dnUVZ_uDinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Eustace wrote
    *-* About Re: Message timed-out

    > On 2007-09-13 19:01 Ken Whiton wrote:
    >> *-* Eustace wrote

    >> [ ... ]

    >>> What I am asking is how I can extend the time TBird is trying to
    >>> download a message from a server before it gives up, because the
    >>> slowdown of the whole system makes the downloading process last
    >>> longer also.

    >> Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> [General tab]

    >> Connection timeout: [___] seconds

    > Actually it's on the [Network tab].

    That must be a change in TB2. In my TB1.5 there is no [Network
    tab], and that option is on the [General tab] as I posted. Sorry for
    any confusion that might have caused, but the important thing is that
    you found it and (presumably) have your message downloads working
    better.

    > Thanks. -emf

    You're welcome.

    Ken Whiton