1st usage downloads mail from M$ server to Local Folder - Mozilla

This is a discussion on 1st usage downloads mail from M$ server to Local Folder - Mozilla ; I just downloaded and installed TB from the web. Installed it as local admin. When I launch it as a nonadmin user (domain account), it imports 3 things from Outlook 2003 (can't recall which). Outlook accessed an Exchange Server. When ...

  1. 1st usage downloads mail from M$ server to Local Folder

    I just downloaded and installed TB from the web. Installed it as
    local admin. When I launch it as a nonadmin user (domain account), it
    imports 3 things from Outlook 2003 (can't recall which). Outlook
    accessed an Exchange Server.

    When TB finished initializing and importing, I had only the Local
    Folder(s) (recalling this from memory, as I'm not at the same site as
    the machine right now). The Inbox from the Exchange Server, and any
    folders I created on the server from Outlook, showed up in TB's Local
    Folder(s). However, no account associated with the mail server was
    shown.

    At first, I thought it might be because TB couldn't interface with
    Exchange Server. However, this can't be true since the mail (and the
    whole folder hierarchy) that existed on the server was downloaded to
    TB's Local Folder(s). So TB must be able to interface with the
    server, including authentication.

    Why was my mail hierarchy downloaded from the server into Local
    Folder(s)?

    Is there a way to have TB automatically create accounts corresponding
    to Outlook accounts, including associating each such account with the
    corresponding server, as it is in Outlook?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: 1st usage downloads mail from M$ server to Local Folder

    Mister.Fred.Ma@gmail.com wrote:
    > I just downloaded and installed TB from the web. Installed it as
    > local admin. When I launch it as a nonadmin user (domain account), it
    > imports 3 things from Outlook 2003 (can't recall which). Outlook
    > accessed an Exchange Server.
    >
    > When TB finished initializing and importing, I had only the Local
    > Folder(s) (recalling this from memory, as I'm not at the same site as
    > the machine right now). The Inbox from the Exchange Server, and any
    > folders I created on the server from Outlook, showed up in TB's Local
    > Folder(s). However, no account associated with the mail server was
    > shown.
    >
    > At first, I thought it might be because TB couldn't interface with
    > Exchange Server. However, this can't be true since the mail (and the
    > whole folder hierarchy) that existed on the server was downloaded to
    > TB's Local Folder(s). So TB must be able to interface with the
    > server, including authentication.
    >
    > Why was my mail hierarchy downloaded from the server into Local
    > Folder(s)?
    >
    > Is there a way to have TB automatically create accounts corresponding
    > to Outlook accounts, including associating each such account with the
    > corresponding server, as it is in Outlook?
    >
    > Thank you.

    you probably downloaded them as a global setting. This
    means one inbox for everything. Look under Local Folders.
    Do you see them there? If you want separate inboxes and
    accounts, then click on Tools, Account Settings, and under
    Server Settings, on the bottom right is an Advanced button.
    Click that, then click on the first selection for "Inbox
    for this server's account."

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: 1st usage downloads mail from M$ server to Local Folder

    On Sep 12, 5:01 am, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:
    > Mister.Fred...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I just downloaded and installed TB from the web. Installed it as
    > > local admin. When I launch it as a nonadmin user (domain account), it
    > > imports 3 things from Outlook 2003 (can't recall which). Outlook
    > > accessed an Exchange Server.

    > > When TB finished initializing and importing, I had only the Local
    > > Folder(s) (recalling this from memory, as I'm not at the same site as
    > > the machine right now). The Inbox from the Exchange Server, and any
    > > folders I created on the server from Outlook, showed up in TB's Local
    > > Folder(s). However, no account associated with the mail server was
    > > shown.

    > > At first, I thought it might be because TB couldn't interface with
    > > Exchange Server. However, this can't be true since the mail (and the
    > > whole folder hierarchy) that existed on the server was downloaded to
    > > TB's Local Folder(s). So TB must be able to interface with the
    > > server, including authentication.

    > > Why was my mail hierarchy downloaded from the server into Local
    > > Folder(s)?

    > > Is there a way to have TB automatically create accounts corresponding
    > > to Outlook accounts, including associating each such account with the
    > > corresponding server, as it is in Outlook?

    > > Thank you.

    > you probably downloaded them as a global setting. This
    > means one inbox for everything. Look under Local Folders.
    > Do you see them there? If you want separate inboxes and
    > accounts, then click on Tools, Account Settings, and under
    > Server Settings, on the bottom right is an Advanced button.
    > Click that, then click on the first selection for "Inbox
    > for this server's account."

    Thank you, Peter. Things right now are such that I might not be able
    to try it until a week or two, but your advice will certainly come in
    handy.

    Fred

  4. Re: 1st usage downloads mail from M$ server to Local Folder

    wrote:
    > Mister.Fred...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I just downloaded and installed TB from the web. Installed it as
    > > local admin. When I launch it as a nonadmin user (domain account), it
    > > imports 3 things from Outlook 2003 (can't recall which). Outlook
    > > accessed an Exchange Server.

    > > When TB finished initializing and importing, I had only the Local
    > > Folder(s) (recalling this from memory, as I'm not at the same site as
    > > the machine right now). The Inbox from the Exchange Server, and any
    > > folders I created on the server from Outlook, showed up in TB's Local
    > > Folder(s). However, no account associated with the mail server was
    > > shown.

    > > At first, I thought it might be because TB couldn't interface with
    > > Exchange Server. However, this can't be true since the mail (and the
    > > whole folder hierarchy) that existed on the server was downloaded to
    > > TB's Local Folder(s). So TB must be able to interface with the
    > > server, including authentication.

    > > Why was my mail hierarchy downloaded from the server into Local
    > > Folder(s)?

    > > Is there a way to have TB automatically create accounts corresponding
    > > to Outlook accounts, including associating each such account with the
    > > corresponding server, as it is in Outlook?

    > > Thank you.

    > you probably downloaded them as a global setting. This
    > means one inbox for everything. Look under Local Folders.
    > Do you see them there? If you want separate inboxes and
    > accounts, then click on Tools, Account Settings, and under
    > Server Settings, on the bottom right is an Advanced button.
    > Click that, then click on the first selection for "Inbox
    > for this server's account."

    Peter, I don't have access to the machine and network right now, but I
    have no folder corrresponding to an email account. I have only the
    local folder, and it is this folder that contains the folder tree
    associated with an Exchange server account in Outlook. Does response
    above still apply?

  5. Error migrating account settings, Outlook->TB, was: 1st usage downloads mail from M$ server to Local Folder

    On Sep 13, 5:17 pm, Mister.Fred...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 12, 5:01 am, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >

    > wrote:
    > > Mister.Fred...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > I just downloaded and installed TB from the web. Installed it as
    > > > local admin. When I launch it as a nonadmin user (domain account), it
    > > > imports 3 things from Outlook 2003 (can't recall which). Outlook
    > > > accessed an Exchange Server.

    > > > When TB finished initializing and importing, I had only the Local
    > > > Folder(s) (recalling this from memory, as I'm not at the same site as
    > > > the machine right now). The Inbox from the Exchange Server, and any
    > > > folders I created on the server from Outlook, showed up in TB's Local
    > > > Folder(s). However, no account associated with the mail server was
    > > > shown.

    > > > At first, I thought it might be because TB couldn't interface with
    > > > Exchange Server. However, this can't be true since the mail (and the
    > > > whole folder hierarchy) that existed on the server was downloaded to
    > > > TB's Local Folder(s). So TB must be able to interface with the
    > > > server, including authentication.

    > > > Why was my mail hierarchy downloaded from the server into Local
    > > > Folder(s)?

    > > > Is there a way to have TB automatically create accounts corresponding
    > > > to Outlook accounts, including associating each such account with the
    > > > corresponding server, as it is in Outlook?

    > > > Thank you.

    > > you probably downloaded them as a global setting. This
    > > means one inbox for everything. Look under Local Folders.
    > > Do you see them there? If you want separate inboxes and
    > > accounts, then click on Tools, Account Settings, and under
    > > Server Settings, on the bottom right is an Advanced button.
    > > Click that, then click on the first selection for "Inbox
    > > for this server's account."

    > Peter, I don't have access to the machine and network right now, but I
    > have no folder corrresponding to an email account. I have only the
    > local folder, and it is this folder that contains the folder tree
    > associated with an Exchange server account in Outlook. Does response
    > above still apply

    Actually, it turns out that there are no Account Settings for Local
    Folders, as one might expect.

    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...c04bc4ed1bea04
    shows that this is a common problem, and I've found no solution via
    Google or Google Groups.

    Fred

  6. Re: Error migrating account settings, Outlook->TB, was: 1st usagedownloads mail from M$ server to Local Folder

    Mister.Fred.Ma@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 13, 5:17 pm, Mister.Fred...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Sep 12, 5:01 am, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >>

    >> wrote:
    >>> you probably downloaded them as a global setting. This
    >>> means one inbox for everything. Look under Local Folders.
    >>> Do you see them there? If you want separate inboxes and
    >>> accounts, then click on Tools, Account Settings, and under
    >>> Server Settings, on the bottom right is an Advanced button.
    >>> Click that, then click on the first selection for "Inbox
    >>> for this server's account."

    >> Peter, I don't have access to the machine and network right now, but I
    >> have no folder corrresponding to an email account. I have only the
    >> local folder, and it is this folder that contains the folder tree
    >> associated with an Exchange server account in Outlook. Does response
    >> above still apply

    > Actually, it turns out that there are no Account Settings for Local
    > Folders, as one might expect.
    >
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...c04bc4ed1bea04
    > shows that this is a common problem, and I've found no solution via
    > Google or Google Groups.
    >
    > Fred

    When you go to Tools -> Account Settings, you should see the server
    listed there.

    Under the *name of the server in question*, click on 'Server Settings'.

    At the bottom of the 'Server Settings' section is a button labeled
    'Advanced', click that button.

    In the 'Advanced Server Settings' windows that appears, select 'Inbox
    for this server's account'.

    For additional IMAP configuration information, you can see this page, as
    well:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP:_adva..._configuration

    Keep in mind, however that on that page, where they refer to "Tools ->
    Account Settings -> Server Settings ...", that you must select the
    appropriate server in the list. The correct path is, as stated above:

    Tools -> Account Settings -> -> Server Settings ...
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Alex K.

  7. Re: Error migrating account settings, Outlook->TB, was: 1st usagedownloads mail from M$ server to Local Folder

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Mister.Fred.Ma@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Sep 13, 5:17 pm, Mister.Fred...@gmail.com wrote:

    >>> Peter, I don't have access to the machine and network right now, but I
    >>> have no folder corrresponding to an email account. I have only the
    >>> local folder, and it is this folder that contains the folder tree
    >>> associated with an Exchange server account in Outlook. Does response
    >>> above still apply

    >> Actually, it turns out that there are no Account Settings for Local
    >> Folders, as one might expect.
    >>
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...c04bc4ed1bea04
    >> shows that this is a common problem, and I've found no solution via
    >> Google or Google Groups.
    >>
    >> Fred
    >>

    > When you go to Tools -> Account Settings, you should see the server
    > listed there.
    >
    > Under the *name of the server in question*, click on 'Server Settings'.
    >
    > At the bottom of the 'Server Settings' section is a button labeled
    > 'Advanced', click that button.
    >
    > In the 'Advanced Server Settings' windows that appears, select 'Inbox
    > for this server's account'.

    Disregard the above. After managing to setup an IMAP account, I see
    that the 'Advanced Server Settings' are *completely* different than what
    I was seeing for a POP account.

    Sorry for not checking it sooner.

    Mea Culpa.

    > For additional IMAP configuration information, you can see this page, as
    > well:
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP:_adva..._configuration
    >
    > Keep in mind, however that on that page, where they refer to "Tools ->
    > Account Settings -> Server Settings ...", that you must select the
    > appropriate server in the list. The correct path is, as stated above:
    >
    > Tools -> Account Settings -> -> Server Settings ...
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^

    This part still applies.

    > Hope this helps.

    I should note that, when I setup the IMAP account, using the account
    wizard: Tools -> Account Settings -> Add Account, it created the account
    outside of 'Local Folders'. I see my @ account, with its
    own Inbox below it.

    --
    Alex K.

  8. Re: Error migrating account settings, Outlook->TB, was: 1st usage downloads mail from M$ server to Local Folder

    On Sep 15, 6:30 am, "Alex K." wrote:
    > Alex K. wrote:
    > > Mister.Fred...@gmail.com wrote:

    > >> Actually, it turns out that there are no Account Settings for Local
    > >> Folders, as one might expect.

    > >>http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...id=87257fc3e9b...
    > >> shows that this is a common problem, and I've found no solution via
    > >> Google or Google Groups.

    > >> Fred

    > > When you go to Tools -> Account Settings, you should see the server
    > > listed there.

    > > Under the *name of the server in question*, click on 'Server Settings'.

    > > At the bottom of the 'Server Settings' section is a button labeled
    > > 'Advanced', click that button.

    > > In the 'Advanced Server Settings' windows that appears, select 'Inbox
    > > for this server's account'.

    > Disregard the above. After managing to setup an IMAP account, I see
    > that the 'Advanced Server Settings' are *completely* different than what
    > I was seeing for a POP account.
    >
    > Sorry for not checking it sooner.
    >
    > Mea Culpa.
    >
    > > For additional IMAP configuration information, you can see this page, as
    > > well:

    > >http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP:_adva..._configuration

    > > Keep in mind, however that on that page, where they refer to "Tools ->
    > > Account Settings -> Server Settings ...", that you must select the
    > > appropriate server in the list. The correct path is, as stated above:

    > > Tools -> Account Settings -> -> Server Settings ...
    > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^

    > This part still applies.
    >
    > > Hope this helps.

    > I should note that, when I setup the IMAP account, using the account
    > wizard: Tools -> Account Settings -> Add Account, it created the account
    > outside of 'Local Folders'. I see my @ account, with its
    > own Inbox below it.

    Interesting link. And I might have tried the explicit adding of an
    account as your described above. I should be in a position to try/
    retry them in about a week. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread