Old mail messages - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Old mail messages - Mozilla ; I have just bought a new computer running Vista Premium and have set up my Thunderbird mail and Firefox. I have noticed that Firefox has reinstalled my bookmarks and was very happy about this. My main concern is that my ...

  1. Old mail messages

    I have just bought a new computer running Vista Premium and have set up
    my Thunderbird mail and Firefox. I have noticed that Firefox has
    reinstalled my bookmarks and was very happy about this.

    My main concern is that my mail in t'bird on my old PC seems to be lost.
    It is still there on my old PC but I want to transfer this across to my
    new PC but not sure how to do it.

    I had downloaded MozBackup and backed up my mailboxes but then
    transfered everything to CD using NERO6 package however NERO6 is
    incompatible with Vista so when I load the disc on my new PC it will not
    locate the files.

    Mike

  2. Re: Old mail messages

    On 9/11/2007 10:38 AM, Mike Palmer wrote:
    > I have just bought a new computer running Vista Premium and have set up
    > my Thunderbird mail and Firefox. I have noticed that Firefox has
    > reinstalled my bookmarks and was very happy about this.
    >
    > My main concern is that my mail in t'bird on my old PC seems to be lost.
    > It is still there on my old PC but I want to transfer this across to my
    > new PC but not sure how to do it.
    >
    > I had downloaded MozBackup and backed up my mailboxes but then
    > transfered everything to CD using NERO6 package however NERO6 is
    > incompatible with Vista so when I load the disc on my new PC it will not
    > locate the files.
    >
    > Mike

    Moving or copying to another windows machine
    (If you are transporting via CD, it is suggested that you zip the
    profile before writing the CD to avoid "read-only" problems associated
    with storage on CDs)

    1. Create a profile on the new machine. Delete its contents.
    2. Delete *.msf files from your old MAIL folder.
    3. Copy the *contents of* your old profile into your new profile.

    --
    Irwin

  3. Re: Old mail messages

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 9/11/2007 10:38 AM, Mike Palmer wrote:
    >> I have just bought a new computer running Vista Premium and have set
    >> up my Thunderbird mail and Firefox. I have noticed that Firefox has
    >> reinstalled my bookmarks and was very happy about this.
    >>
    >> My main concern is that my mail in t'bird on my old PC seems to be
    >> lost. It is still there on my old PC but I want to transfer this
    >> across to my new PC but not sure how to do it.
    >>
    >> I had downloaded MozBackup and backed up my mailboxes but then
    >> transfered everything to CD using NERO6 package however NERO6 is
    >> incompatible with Vista so when I load the disc on my new PC it will
    >> not locate the files.
    >>
    >> Mike

    > Moving or copying to another windows machine
    > (If you are transporting via CD, it is suggested that you zip the
    > profile before writing the CD to avoid "read-only" problems associated
    > with storage on CDs)
    >
    > 1. Create a profile on the new machine. Delete its contents.
    > 2. Delete *.msf files from your old MAIL folder.
    > 3. Copy the *contents of* your old profile into your new profile.

    Were you using a CD-RW disk to burn the files? If so, try using a CD-R
    disk. That should be readable from Vista.

  4. Re: Old mail messages

    On 9/11/2007 10:47 AM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 9/11/2007 10:38 AM, Mike Palmer wrote:
    >> I have just bought a new computer running Vista Premium and have set up
    >> my Thunderbird mail and Firefox. I have noticed that Firefox has
    >> reinstalled my bookmarks and was very happy about this.
    >>
    >> My main concern is that my mail in t'bird on my old PC seems to be lost.
    >> It is still there on my old PC but I want to transfer this across to my
    >> new PC but not sure how to do it.
    >>
    >> I had downloaded MozBackup and backed up my mailboxes but then
    >> transfered everything to CD using NERO6 package however NERO6 is
    >> incompatible with Vista so when I load the disc on my new PC it will not
    >> locate the files.
    >>
    >> Mike

    > Moving or copying to another windows machine
    > (If you are transporting via CD, it is suggested that you zip the
    > profile before writing the CD to avoid "read-only" problems associated
    > with storage on CDs)
    >
    > 1. Create a profile on the new machine. Delete its contents.
    > 2. Delete *.msf files from your old MAIL folder.
    > 3. Copy the *contents of* your old profile into your new profile.

    This is assuming the new file and data paths are exactly the same as the
    prior, correct?

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: Old mail messages

    On 9/11/2007 1:08 PM, Terry R. wrote:
    > On 9/11/2007 10:47 AM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
    > keyboard
    >
    >> On 9/11/2007 10:38 AM, Mike Palmer wrote:
    >>> I have just bought a new computer running Vista Premium and have set
    >>> up my Thunderbird mail and Firefox. I have noticed that Firefox has
    >>> reinstalled my bookmarks and was very happy about this.
    >>>
    >>> My main concern is that my mail in t'bird on my old PC seems to be
    >>> lost. It is still there on my old PC but I want to transfer this
    >>> across to my new PC but not sure how to do it.
    >>>
    >>> I had downloaded MozBackup and backed up my mailboxes but then
    >>> transfered everything to CD using NERO6 package however NERO6 is
    >>> incompatible with Vista so when I load the disc on my new PC it will
    >>> not locate the files.
    >>>
    >>> Mike

    >> Moving or copying to another windows machine
    >> (If you are transporting via CD, it is suggested that you zip the
    >> profile before writing the CD to avoid "read-only" problems
    >> associated with storage on CDs)
    >>
    >> 1. Create a profile on the new machine. Delete its contents.
    >> 2. Delete *.msf files from your old MAIL folder.
    >> 3. Copy the *contents of* your old profile into your new profile.
    >>

    > This is assuming the new file and data paths are exactly the same as the
    > prior, correct?

    No. Since ages ago, path names are relative.

    --
    Irwin

  6. Re: Old mail messages

    On 9/11/2007 5:39 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 9/11/2007 1:08 PM, Terry R. wrote:
    >> On 9/11/2007 10:47 AM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
    >> keyboard

    >>> Moving or copying to another windows machine
    >>> (If you are transporting via CD, it is suggested that you zip the
    >>> profile before writing the CD to avoid "read-only" problems
    >>> associated with storage on CDs)
    >>>
    >>> 1. Create a profile on the new machine. Delete its contents.
    >>> 2. Delete *.msf files from your old MAIL folder.
    >>> 3. Copy the *contents of* your old profile into your new profile.
    >>>

    >> This is assuming the new file and data paths are exactly the same as the
    >> prior, correct?
    >>

    > No. Since ages ago, path names are relative.

    So all the paths in Config Editor (which are in prefs.js) are
    meaningless? So you're saying if my prior setup used only a C: drive
    and I install to a D: drive on the new system, everything will work
    fine? I don't see how that can happen.

    --
    Terry R.

  7. Re: Old mail messages

    On 9/11/2007 6:09 PM, Terry R. wrote:
    > On 9/11/2007 5:39 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> On 9/11/2007 1:08 PM, Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 9/11/2007 10:47 AM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    >>> This is assuming the new file and data paths are exactly the same as
    >>> the prior, correct?
    >>>

    >> No. Since ages ago, path names are relative.
    >>

    > So all the paths in Config Editor (which are in prefs.js) are
    > meaningless? So you're saying if my prior setup used only a C: drive
    > and I install to a D: drive on the new system, everything will work
    > fine? I don't see how that can happen.

    When you create a new profile on D drive, profiles.ini Will contain the
    path to which the relative entries apply. Try it using the method I
    have described.

    --
    Irwin