Installing Englisdh Dictionary - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Installing Englisdh Dictionary - Mozilla ; Repeating my cry for help with (I HOPE) a valid address!! For some time I have been trying to use ThunderBird as my email prog but I am unable to install a dictionary. I am using Windows XP SP2. I ...

  1. Installing Englisdh Dictionary

    Repeating my cry for help with (I HOPE) a valid address!!

    For some time I have been trying to use ThunderBird as my email prog but
    I am unable to install a dictionary.

    I am using Windows XP SP2. I have just downloaded and installed
    Thunderbird 2.0.0.6. I go to the dictionaries page, slect the dictionary
    I want (I've tried both the default English and the English(British))
    and click install as instructed.

    I get a window offering to install the dictionary - no other options
    except Cancel. I click install - I see the progress thermometer and am
    told the dictionary is installed.

    But any attempt to use it brings up the dictionary checking window with
    no text shown as doubtful, no corrections offered and no dictionaries
    available.

    What am I doing wrong???

    Peter C

  2. Re: Installing Englisdh Dictionary

    PeterC > wrote:
    > Repeating my cry for help with (I HOPE) a valid address!!
    >

    > For some time I have been trying to use ThunderBird as my email prog but
    > I am unable to install a dictionary.
    >
    > I am using Windows XP SP2. I have just downloaded and installed
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.6. I go to the dictionaries page, slect the dictionary
    > I want (I've tried both the default English and the English(British))
    > and click install as instructed.
    >
    > I get a window offering to install the dictionary - no other options
    > except Cancel. I click install - I see the progress thermometer and am
    > told the dictionary is installed.
    >
    > But any attempt to use it brings up the dictionary checking window with
    > no text shown as doubtful, no corrections offered and no dictionaries
    > available.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong???
    >
    > Peter C

    Peter, I think you should be doing all this with Firefox and installing as
    a Search Engine. Try that instead of using TB.

  3. Re: Installing Englisdh Dictionary

    PeterC > wrote:
    > Repeating my cry for help with (I HOPE) a valid address!!
    >

    > For some time I have been trying to use ThunderBird as my email prog but
    > I am unable to install a dictionary.
    >
    > I am using Windows XP SP2. I have just downloaded and installed
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.6. I go to the dictionaries page, slect the dictionary
    > I want (I've tried both the default English and the English(British))
    > and click install as instructed.
    >
    > I get a window offering to install the dictionary - no other options
    > except Cancel. I click install - I see the progress thermometer and am
    > told the dictionary is installed.
    >
    > But any attempt to use it brings up the dictionary checking window with
    > no text shown as doubtful, no corrections offered and no dictionaries
    > available.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong???

    You are actually installing dictionary in Firefox .
    Goto "https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/browse/type:3"
    Right click on that 'Install' link ( right to every Dictionary row ),
    and select 'Save Link as'.
    It will prompt to save a .xpi file.
    Save it in a suitable location.
    Start Thunderbird.
    Goto Tools>Add-ons>Extensions.
    Drag that .xpi file on add-ons window.
    Tb will prompt you to install it.
    After installing restart Thunderbird.

    --
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dictionaries#Installing_a_dictionary"

  4. Re: Installing Englisdh Dictionary

    PeterC > wrote:
    > Repeating my cry for help with (I HOPE) a valid address!!
    >

    > For some time I have been trying to use ThunderBird as my email prog but
    > I am unable to install a dictionary.
    >
    > I am using Windows XP SP2. I have just downloaded and installed
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.6. I go to the dictionaries page, slect the dictionary
    > I want (I've tried both the default English and the English(British))
    > and click install as instructed.
    >
    > I get a window offering to install the dictionary - no other options
    > except Cancel. I click install - I see the progress thermometer and am
    > told the dictionary is installed.
    >
    > But any attempt to use it brings up the dictionary checking window with
    > no text shown as doubtful, no corrections offered and no dictionaries
    > available.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong???
    >
    > Peter C

    I now have a dictionary - apparently - working!!. Nothing worked
    quite as advertised. Eventually used the method proposed on the info
    page - I never got the 'Restart Thunderbird' button as promised but
    after closing and restarting a couple of times the dictionary seems to
    be OK.

    Many thanks to both for you helpful (and encouraging ) interest.

    PeterC

+ Reply to Thread