thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop. - Mozilla ; Hi, How can I sync my emails between thunderbird portable and the desktop version? thanks -- Daniel Dalton http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/ daniel.dalton47@gmail.com...

  1. thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop.

    --
    Daniel Dalton

    http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
    daniel.dalton47@gmail.com

  2. Re: thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop.

    Daniel Dalton wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I sync my emails between thunderbird portable and the desktop
    > version?
    > thanks

    with TB Port, it keeps its profile with the program. If you
    install it to a thumb drive [or whatever], then the profile
    is also located there. In other words, the profile is fixed
    and you can't change that.

    With TB desktop, the profile can be anywhere. Meaning, you
    can move the profile around to where you want it.

    Therefore, if you want to sync them, you need to point the
    desktop profile to use the portable profile. You can do
    this with the profile manager. So, close both programs. Use
    to desktop profile manager, by clicking on the windows start
    button, then run and click on browse, now locate the desktop
    start up .exe file. Now, at the end of the target line, add
    a space then a dash then the letter P so it looks something
    like this:

    "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p

    Now, start the TB profile manager and use it to point to the
    portable profile.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop.

    On 7/09/2007 2:41 AM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > with TB Port, it keeps its profile with the program. If you
    > install it to a thumb drive [or whatever], then the profile
    > is also located there. In other words, the profile is fixed
    > and you can't change that.
    >
    > With TB desktop, the profile can be anywhere. Meaning, you
    > can move the profile around to where you want it.
    >
    > Therefore, if you want to sync them, you need to point the
    > desktop profile to use the portable profile. You can do
    > this with the profile manager. So, close both programs. Use
    > to desktop profile manager, by clicking on the windows start
    > button, then run and click on browse, now locate the desktop
    > start up .exe file.

    Are you talking about thunderbird.exe or something? Or is this a windows
    file that has nothing to do with tb.

    >Now, at the end of the target line, add
    > a space then a dash then the letter P so it looks something
    > like this:
    >
    > "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p

    What does this do?

    > Now, start the TB profile manager and use it to point to the
    > portable profile.

    How?
    How do I start it?
    Is it the normal thunderbird?

    What should the final results be?

    --
    Daniel Dalton

    http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
    daniel.dalton47@gmail.com

  4. Re: thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop.

    Daniel Dalton wrote in
    la.org:

    > On 7/09/2007 2:41 AM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> with TB Port, it keeps its profile with the program. If you
    >> install it to a thumb drive [or whatever], then the profile
    >> is also located there. In other words, the profile is fixed
    >> and you can't change that.
    >>
    >> With TB desktop, the profile can be anywhere. Meaning, you
    >> can move the profile around to where you want it.
    >>
    >> Therefore, if you want to sync them, you need to point the
    >> desktop profile to use the portable profile. You can do
    >> this with the profile manager. So, close both programs. Use
    >> to desktop profile manager, by clicking on the windows start
    >> button, then run and click on browse, now locate the desktop
    >> start up .exe file.

    > Are you talking about thunderbird.exe or something? Or is this
    > a windows file that has nothing to do with tb.

    No, it's thunderbird.exe - why would he point you at something
    else?

    >>Now, at the end of the target line, add
    >> a space then a dash then the letter P so it looks something
    >> like this:
    >>
    >> "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p

    > What does this do?

    It opens the profile manager, so you can choose a profile to run
    in Thunderbird.

    >> Now, start the TB profile manager and use it to point to the
    >> portable profile.

    > How?

    If you don't know about paths, you need to get a book on basic
    computer skills. WINDOWS FOR DUMMIES is quite a good one.

    > How do I start it?

    By clicking on the modified shortcut, of course.

    > Is it the normal thunderbird?

    Yes, but using the portable profile.

    > What should the final results be?

    What do you think they would be?

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    About the most embarrassing thing you can do to a self-
    sufficient New Englander is help them out somehow. They'll
    likely thank you, but they'll remember it, and they'll get back
    at you by helping you out, somehow, some day. --John Kensmark,
    rec.arts.sf.composition

  5. Re: thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop.

    On 10/09/2007 11:42 PM, Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > No, it's thunderbird.exe - why would he point you at something
    > else?

    Who knows

    >>> Now, at the end of the target line, add
    >>> a space then a dash then the letter P so it looks something
    >>> like this:
    >>>
    >>> "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p

    >> What does this do?

    > It opens the profile manager, so you can choose a profile to run
    > in Thunderbird.
    >
    >>> Now, start the TB profile manager and use it to point to the
    >>> portable profile.

    >> How?

    > If you don't know about paths, you need to get a book on basic
    > computer skills. WINDOWS FOR DUMMIES is quite a good one.

    I know about paths and I have done that.

    >> How do I start it?

    > By clicking on the modified shortcut, of course.
    >
    >> Is it the normal thunderbird?

    > Yes, but using the portable profile.
    >
    >> What should the final results be?
    >>

    > What do you think they would be?

    I don't know that is why I asked.

    And once I am in the profile manager what do I click to find my portable
    profile? Do I click on new profile. If so what dir do I brows to in that
    dialog.
    What if I have messages in my desktop profile and my portable one how do
    I put all the messages into one profile?

    --
    Daniel Dalton

    http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
    daniel.dalton47@gmail.com

  6. Re: thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop.

    Daniel Dalton wrote in
    la.org:

    > On 10/09/2007 11:42 PM, Christopher Jahn wrote:
    >> No, it's thunderbird.exe - why would he point you at
    >> something else?

    > Who knows

    >>> What does this do?

    >> It opens the profile manager, so you can choose a profile to
    >> run in Thunderbird.

    >>> How?

    >> If you don't know about paths, you need to get a book on
    >> basic computer skills. WINDOWS FOR DUMMIES is quite a good
    >> one.

    > I know about paths and I have done that.
    >

    >>> How do I start it?

    >> By clicking on the modified shortcut, of course.
    >>
    >>> Is it the normal thunderbird?

    >> Yes, but using the portable profile.
    >>
    >>> What should the final results be?
    >>>

    >> What do you think they would be?
    >>

    > I don't know that is why I asked.
    >
    > And once I am in the profile manager what do I click to find
    > my portable profile? Do I click on new profile. If so what dir
    > do I brows to in that dialog.
    > What if I have messages in my desktop profile and my portable
    > one how do I put all the messages into one profile?

    And THEN you'll know.

    Sheesh, why do we even bother?

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    I miss being obsessed. I like the weather there. (Jonathan
    Carroll)

  7. Re: thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop.

    Christopher Jahn wrote:

    > Daniel Dalton wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/09/2007 11:42 PM, Christopher Jahn wrote:
    >>> No, it's thunderbird.exe - why would he point you at
    >>> something else?

    >> Who knows

    >>> It opens the profile manager, so you can choose a profile to
    >>> run in Thunderbird.

    >>> If you don't know about paths, you need to get a book on
    >>> basic computer skills. WINDOWS FOR DUMMIES is quite a good
    >>> one.

    >> I know about paths and I have done that.

    >>> By clicking on the modified shortcut, of course.

    >>> Yes, but using the portable profile.

    >>> What do you think they would be?

    >> I don't know that is why I asked.
    >>
    >> And once I am in the profile manager what do I click to find
    >> my portable profile? Do I click on new profile. If so what dir
    >> do I brows to in that dialog.
    >> What if I have messages in my desktop profile and my portable
    >> one how do I put all the messages into one profile?

    > And THEN you'll know.
    >
    > Sheesh, why do we even bother?

    I think the problem is that he doesn't know that Thunderbird and Portable
    Thunderbird are two completely separate programs.

    I run ordinary Thunderbird on my desktop linux and windows (just about
    never, but you never can tell!) machines and run Portable Thunderbird
    (windows only) from my thumb drive when I have to visit my daughter who only
    runs windows on her machine. It runs very slowly and stops for 5 seconds
    every 15 seconds or so, but it's better than using Outlook or installing and
    deleting Thunderbird on her machine when I visit.

    I tried to copy my regular WinTB profile to the PortableTB on my thumb
    drive, but it never worked right. I ended up just reconfiguring the PTB
    profile by hand. Hey, it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to work.

    "Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do.
    They don't have the energy. If they had that much energy,
    they'd have indoor plumbing by now." -- Ann Coulter

+ Reply to Thread