get to Inbox with one keypress? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on get to Inbox with one keypress? - Mozilla ; Just switched over to TB from Windows Mail, and am glad to be here. One thing I miss though is the single keystroke of Outlook / Outlook Express / Windows Mail (Ctrl-Shift-I) that takes you from whatever folder you're in ...

  1. get to Inbox with one keypress?

    Just switched over to TB from Windows Mail, and am glad to be here. One
    thing I miss though is the single keystroke of Outlook / Outlook Express
    / Windows Mail (Ctrl-Shift-I) that takes you from whatever folder you're
    in over to the Inbox. Does TB have any equivalent?

  2. Re: get to Inbox with one keypress?

    Rick wrote:
    > Just switched over to TB from Windows Mail, and am glad to be here. One
    > thing I miss though is the single keystroke of Outlook / Outlook Express
    > / Windows Mail (Ctrl-Shift-I) that takes you from whatever folder you're
    > in over to the Inbox. Does TB have any equivalent?

    I don't know, but I'd sure like to. Also the Junk folder (to check for false
    positives and report spam), as N (Next unread) skips it.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    "There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a
    vacuum."

  3. Re: get to Inbox with one keypress?

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >> Just switched over to TB from Windows Mail, and am glad to be here.
    >> One thing I miss though is the single keystroke of Outlook / Outlook
    >> Express / Windows Mail (Ctrl-Shift-I) that takes you from whatever
    >> folder you're in over to the Inbox. Does TB have any equivalent?

    > I don't know, but I'd sure like to. Also the Junk folder (to check for
    > false positives and report spam), as N (Next unread) skips it.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    I inadvertently end up pressing *Ctrl-Shift-I* an awful lot in
    Thunderbird, expecting it to do what it does in Windows Mail, and what
    it has been doing since the very earliest Outlook (Express) days maybe
    10 years ago -- take me directly to my Inbox. Maybe Thunderbird has
    some sort of internal keystroke assignment possibility?

  4. Re: get to Inbox with one keypress?

    Rick wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>> Just switched over to TB from Windows Mail, and am glad to be here.
    >>> One thing I miss though is the single keystroke of Outlook / Outlook
    >>> Express / Windows Mail (Ctrl-Shift-I) that takes you from whatever
    >>> folder you're in over to the Inbox. Does TB have any equivalent?

    >> I don't know, but I'd sure like to. Also the Junk folder (to check for
    >> false positives and report spam), as N (Next unread) skips it.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > I inadvertently end up pressing *Ctrl-Shift-I* an awful lot in
    > Thunderbird, expecting it to do what it does in Windows Mail, and what
    > it has been doing since the very earliest Outlook (Express) days maybe
    > 10 years ago -- take me directly to my Inbox. Maybe Thunderbird has
    > some sort of internal keystroke assignment possibility?

    No promises, but the following "might" (or might not) help you (and me), I've
    just installed it, it'll be enabled at next restart:

    - keyconfig extension http://mozilla.dorando.at/keyconfig.xpi
    - functions for keyconfig (Thunderbird)
    - README about extensions by the same author http://mozilla.dorando.at/readme.html
    - Mozillazine Q&A topic about keyconfig

    To install an extension in Thunderbird: right-click, Save Link As, then use
    the saved version with either "Install" button in addons manager or d&d to
    addons manager.

    Best regards,
    Tony.

  5. Re: get to Inbox with one keypress?

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I don't know, but I'd sure like to. Also the Junk folder (to check
    >>> for false positives and report spam), as N (Next unread) skips it.
    >>>

    >>> Best regards,
    >>> Tony.

    >> I inadvertently end up pressing *Ctrl-Shift-I* an awful lot in
    >> Thunderbird, expecting it to do what it does in Windows Mail, and what
    >> it has been doing since the very earliest Outlook (Express) days maybe
    >> 10 years ago -- take me directly to my Inbox. Maybe Thunderbird has
    >> some sort of internal keystroke assignment possibility?

    > No promises, but the following "might" (or might not) help you (and me),
    > I've just installed it, it'll be enabled at next restart:
    >
    > - keyconfig extension http://mozilla.dorando.at/keyconfig.xpi
    > - functions for keyconfig (Thunderbird)
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4147
    > - README about extensions by the same author
    > http://mozilla.dorando.at/readme.html
    > - Mozillazine Q&A topic about keyconfig
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=72994
    >
    > To install an extension in Thunderbird: right-click, Save Link As, then
    > use the saved version with either "Install" button in addons manager or
    > d&d to addons manager.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Gotcha! The "code" to go to the (Global) Inbox is

    SelectFolder('mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox');

    Keyconfig has just let me create a new key binding for it (and another one for
    Junk) and it works; but since it applies to the Main window (and new key
    bindings only apply to new windows) I guess a restart is necessary.

    Beware of key collisions: if you have the "DOM Inspector" extension,
    Ctrl-Shift-I activates it. (I chose Ctrl-Alt-I for GoToInbox and Ctrl-Alt-J
    for GoToJunk but of course any free key or key combo can be used.)

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Vila: "I think I have just made the biggest mistake of my life."
    Orac: "It is unlikely. I would predict there are far greater mistakes

  6. Re: get to Inbox with one keypress?

    On 9/5/2007 1:12 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> I inadvertently end up pressing *Ctrl-Shift-I* an awful lot in
    >>> Thunderbird, expecting it to do what it does in Windows Mail, and
    >>> what it has been doing since the very earliest Outlook (Express) days
    >>> maybe 10 years ago -- take me directly to my Inbox. Maybe
    >>> Thunderbird has some sort of internal keystroke assignment possibility?

    >> No promises, but the following "might" (or might not) help you (and
    >> me), I've just installed it, it'll be enabled at next restart:
    >>
    >> - keyconfig extension http://mozilla.dorando.at/keyconfig.xpi
    >> - functions for keyconfig (Thunderbird)
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4147
    >> - README about extensions by the same author
    >> http://mozilla.dorando.at/readme.html
    >> - Mozillazine Q&A topic about keyconfig
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=72994
    >>
    >> To install an extension in Thunderbird: right-click, Save Link As,
    >> then use the saved version with either "Install" button in addons
    >> manager or d&d to addons manager.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > Gotcha! The "code" to go to the (Global) Inbox is
    >
    > SelectFolder('mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox');
    >
    > Keyconfig has just let me create a new key binding for it (and another
    > one for Junk) and it works; but since it applies to the Main window (and
    > new key bindings only apply to new windows) I guess a restart is necessary.

    Restart not needed after doing the binding - it works if you open new
    main/3-pane window.

    But the binding, or keyconfig, is aparently only good for the main
    window - ctrl-shift-I doesn't work from other dialogs like search,
    compose, filters, etc

  7. Re: get to Inbox with one keypress?

    Wayne Mery wrote:
    > On 9/5/2007 1:12 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >>
    >> Gotcha! The "code" to go to the (Global) Inbox is
    >>
    >> SelectFolder('mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox');
    >>
    >> Keyconfig has just let me create a new key binding for it (and another
    >> one for Junk) and it works; but since it applies to the Main window
    >> (and new key bindings only apply to new windows) I guess a restart is
    >> necessary.

    > Restart not needed after doing the binding - it works if you open new
    > main/3-pane window.
    >
    > But the binding, or keyconfig, is aparently only good for the main
    > window - ctrl-shift-I doesn't work from other dialogs like search,
    > compose, filters, etc

    I've just installed keyconfig and FunctionsForKeyConfig but don't quite
    get how to program Ctrl-Shift-I to go to the Inbox. I choose Keyconfig
    from the Tools menu. I click Add a New Key, and I enter
    SelectFolder('mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox'); in the /* Code
    */ area but I'm not sure what to enter in the Name edit box. It seems
    to want a number of some sort. Could someone lend a hand? Thanks much.

  8. Re: get to Inbox with one keypress?

    Rick wrote:
    > Wayne Mery wrote:
    >> On 9/5/2007 1:12 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >>> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Gotcha! The "code" to go to the (Global) Inbox is
    >>>
    >>> SelectFolder('mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox');
    >>>
    >>> Keyconfig has just let me create a new key binding for it (and
    >>> another one for Junk) and it works; but since it applies to the Main
    >>> window (and new key bindings only apply to new windows) I guess a
    >>> restart is necessary.

    >> Restart not needed after doing the binding - it works if you open new
    >> main/3-pane window.
    >>
    >> But the binding, or keyconfig, is aparently only good for the main
    >> window - ctrl-shift-I doesn't work from other dialogs like search,
    >> compose, filters, etc

    > I've just installed keyconfig and FunctionsForKeyConfig but don't quite
    > get how to program Ctrl-Shift-I to go to the Inbox. I choose Keyconfig
    > from the Tools menu. I click Add a New Key, and I enter
    > SelectFolder('mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox'); in the /* Code
    > */ area but I'm not sure what to enter in the Name edit box. It seems
    > to want a number of some sort. Could someone lend a hand? Thanks much.

    Any descriptive name, preferably not yet used. Try "GoToInbox" or something.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Alden's Laws:
    (1) Giving away baby clothes and furniture is the major cause

  9. Re: get to Inbox with one keypress?

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >> I've just installed keyconfig and FunctionsForKeyConfig but don't
    >> quite get how to program Ctrl-Shift-I to go to the Inbox. I choose
    >> Keyconfig from the Tools menu. I click Add a New Key, and I enter
    >> SelectFolder('mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox'); in the /* Code
    >> */ area but I'm not sure what to enter in the Name edit box. It seems
    >> to want a number of some sort. Could someone lend a hand? Thanks much.

    > Any descriptive name, preferably not yet used. Try "GoToInbox" or
    > something.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    It took me a while to figure out how you tell it that 'Ctrl-Shift-I'
    should be the shortcut to this key mapping definition, but now I got it.
    It's beautiful. Works like a charm. This is the wonderful part of
    open-source software. Thanks much for the help.

  10. Re: get to Inbox with one keypress?

    Rick wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>> I've just installed keyconfig and FunctionsForKeyConfig but don't
    >>> quite get how to program Ctrl-Shift-I to go to the Inbox. I choose
    >>> Keyconfig from the Tools menu. I click Add a New Key, and I enter
    >>> SelectFolder('mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox'); in the /*
    >>> Code */ area but I'm not sure what to enter in the Name edit box. It
    >>> seems to want a number of some sort. Could someone lend a hand?
    >>> Thanks much.

    >> Any descriptive name, preferably not yet used. Try "GoToInbox" or
    >> something.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > It took me a while to figure out how you tell it that 'Ctrl-Shift-I'
    > should be the shortcut to this key mapping definition, but now I got it.
    > It's beautiful. Works like a charm. This is the wonderful part of
    > open-source software. Thanks much for the help.

    In the main keyconfig menu, select the line of interest, put the cursor in the
    input box below, then hit your hotkey and see its name appear. :-)

    My pleasure. Thanks to this NG thread I defined Ctrl-I as "Go to Inbox" and
    Ctrl-J as "Go to Junk" in my Tb profile; I've been using them constantly since
    then.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.

+ Reply to Thread