How to add Thunderbird Mail from Old Computer while Keeping ExistingMail - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to add Thunderbird Mail from Old Computer while Keeping ExistingMail - Mozilla ; How can I add Mail from Thunderbird on my old PC to my new PC while keeping the mail on the new PC? I have read the FAQ on exporting Mail between Thunderbirds but it is exceptionally unclear. It also ...

  1. How to add Thunderbird Mail from Old Computer while Keeping ExistingMail

    How can I add Mail from Thunderbird on my old PC to my new PC while
    keeping the mail on the new PC?

    I have read the FAQ on exporting Mail between Thunderbirds but it is
    exceptionally unclear. It also seems that this procedure will overwrite
    all my new mail.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Many Thanks

    Piers Bell

  2. Re: How to add Thunderbird Mail from Old Computer while Keeping ExistingMail

    user@domain.invalid wrote:
    > How can I add Mail from Thunderbird on my old PC to my new PC while
    > keeping the mail on the new PC?
    >
    > I have read the FAQ on exporting Mail between Thunderbirds but it is
    > exceptionally unclear. It also seems that this procedure will
    > overwrite all my new mail.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Piers Bell

    Thunderbird keeps messages in mbox file ( file without extension, like
    Inbox ).
    In your old computer , goto TB profile folder .
    Open Mail folder .
    Copy all mbox files in a folder (A) in new computer .
    Goto TB profile folder in new computer.
    Open Mail folder.
    Open 'Local Folders' folder.
    Copy all mbox files from A to 'Local Folders' .

    You may have to rename mbox files if needed.

    Start Thunderbird.
    You will find new folders under 'Local Folders' in folder pane . These
    folders contains all old mails .

  3. Re: How to add Thunderbird Mail from Old Computer while Keeping ExistingMail

    Nir wrote:
    > user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >> How can I add Mail from Thunderbird on my old PC to my new PC while
    >> keeping the mail on the new PC?
    >>
    >> I have read the FAQ on exporting Mail between Thunderbirds but it is
    >> exceptionally unclear. It also seems that this procedure will
    >> overwrite all my new mail.
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Many Thanks
    >>
    >> Piers Bell

    > Thunderbird keeps messages in mbox file ( file without extension, like
    > Inbox ).
    > In your old computer , goto TB profile folder .
    > Open Mail folder .
    > Copy all mbox files in a folder (A) in new computer .
    > Goto TB profile folder in new computer.
    > Open Mail folder.
    > Open 'Local Folders' folder.
    > Copy all mbox files from A to 'Local Folders' .
    >
    > You may have to rename mbox files if needed.
    >
    > Start Thunderbird.
    > You will find new folders under 'Local Folders' in folder pane . These
    > folders contains all old mails .

    Hmm, I've tried it but all I get is a tree of empty folders showing in
    Thunderbird.

    Mozilla should implement an easier way than cutting and pasting files.
    It's not like it's even being asked to import data from a different
    program. This is one area that really needs to be improved.

    Many thanks anyway,

    Piers Bell

  4. Re: How to add Thunderbird Mail from Old Computer while Keeping ExistingMail

    user@domain.invalid wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >>> How can I add Mail from Thunderbird on my old PC to my new PC while
    >>> keeping the mail on the new PC?
    >>>
    >>> I have read the FAQ on exporting Mail between Thunderbirds but it is
    >>> exceptionally unclear. It also seems that this procedure will
    >>> overwrite all my new mail.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Many Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Piers Bell

    >> Thunderbird keeps messages in mbox file ( file without extension, like
    >> Inbox ).
    >> In your old computer , goto TB profile folder .
    >> Open Mail folder .
    >> Copy all mbox files in a folder (A) in new computer .
    >> Goto TB profile folder in new computer.
    >> Open Mail folder.
    >> Open 'Local Folders' folder.
    >> Copy all mbox files from A to 'Local Folders' .
    >>
    >> You may have to rename mbox files if needed.
    >>
    >> Start Thunderbird.
    >> You will find new folders under 'Local Folders' in folder pane . These
    >> folders contains all old mails .
    >>

    > Hmm, I've tried it but all I get is a tree of empty folders showing in
    > Thunderbird.
    >
    > Mozilla should implement an easier way than cutting and pasting files.
    > It's not like it's even being asked to import data from a different
    > program. This is one area that really needs to be improved.
    >
    > Many thanks anyway,
    >
    > Piers Bell

    You might take a look at this extension:

    http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

    ImportExportTools (MboxImport enhanced)

    --
    Alex K.

  5. Re: How to add Thunderbird Mail from Old Computer while Keeping ExistingMail

    Alex K. wrote:
    > user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> Thunderbird keeps messages in mbox file ( file without extension, like
    >>> Inbox ).
    >>> In your old computer , goto TB profile folder .
    >>> Open Mail folder .
    >>> Copy all mbox files in a folder (A) in new computer .
    >>> Goto TB profile folder in new computer.
    >>> Open Mail folder.
    >>> Open 'Local Folders' folder.
    >>> Copy all mbox files from A to 'Local Folders' .
    >>>
    >>> You may have to rename mbox files if needed.
    >>>
    >>> Start Thunderbird.
    >>> You will find new folders under 'Local Folders' in folder pane . These
    >>> folders contains all old mails .
    >>>

    >> Hmm, I've tried it but all I get is a tree of empty folders showing in
    >> Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> Mozilla should implement an easier way than cutting and pasting files.
    >> It's not like it's even being asked to import data from a different
    >> program. This is one area that really needs to be improved.
    >>
    >> Many thanks anyway,
    >>
    >> Piers Bell

    > You might take a look at this extension:
    >
    > http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
    >
    > ImportExportTools (MboxImport enhanced)

    Ahh! thank you very much. I think that's a vitally important extension
    for many users. Mozilla should consider implementing it as standard.

    Thanks again for the tip!

+ Reply to Thread