TB 2.0.0.6 disappears after launch - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TB 2.0.0.6 disappears after launch - Mozilla ; I got an automatic update to TB 2.0.0.6, after which I got a nasty Windows XP error message about a dll not being valid. This occurred whenever I tried to launch TB 2.0.0.6. I figured that there may have been ...

  1. TB 2.0.0.6 disappears after launch

    I got an automatic update to TB 2.0.0.6, after which I got a nasty
    Windows XP error message about a dll not being valid. This occurred
    whenever I tried to launch TB 2.0.0.6.

    I figured that there may have been a glitch in the download of the
    update, so I downloaded 2.0.0.6 and installed it fresh. The install
    went cleanly.

    But now, when I launch Thunderbird, I see thunderbird.exe appear
    briefly in the process list in Task Manager, then vanish.

    How can I recover from this? Can I download 2.0.0.5? Do I need to
    uninstall then reinstall? I don't want to take any action that will
    cause me to lose inbox or address book....

    Thanks,
    --Scott

  2. Re: TB 2.0.0.6 disappears after launch

    scottsm777@gmail.com wrote:
    > I got an automatic update to TB 2.0.0.6, after which I got a nasty
    > Windows XP error message about a dll not being valid. This occurred
    > whenever I tried to launch TB 2.0.0.6.
    >
    > I figured that there may have been a glitch in the download of the
    > update, so I downloaded 2.0.0.6 and installed it fresh. The install
    > went cleanly.
    >
    > But now, when I launch Thunderbird, I see thunderbird.exe appear
    > briefly in the process list in Task Manager, then vanish.
    >
    > How can I recover from this? Can I download 2.0.0.5? Do I need to
    > uninstall then reinstall? I don't want to take any action that will
    > cause me to lose inbox or address book....
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --Scott

    uninstall, reboot, then remove the program directory.
    Reinstall, reboot. Any difference now?

    NOTE: All your mail, address book, etc, are stored in an
    area called the TB profile directory. This directory is
    separate from the program directory. When you uninstall,
    all you're doing is removing the program. The profile is
    not touched.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: TB 2.0.0.6 disappears after launch

    > uninstall, reboot, then remove the program directory.
    > Reinstall, reboot. Any difference now?
    >
    > NOTE: All your mail, address book, etc, are stored in an
    > area called the TB profile directory. This directory is
    > separate from the program directory. When you uninstall,
    > all you're doing is removing the program. The profile is
    > not touched.

    Much better!! Thanks very much

+ Reply to Thread