reinstall Tb - Mozilla

This is a discussion on reinstall Tb - Mozilla ; I think my Tb-installation is screwed up, and I waqnt to de-install and reinstall it. Atre there tips on what to do/avoid? I have my profile on a data disk. How will Tb find it? -- Loek...

  1. reinstall Tb

    --
    Loek

  2. Re: reinstall Tb, cause of problems found

    Loekie Ratelkous schreef:
    > I think my Tb-installation is screwed up, and I waqnt to de-install and
    > reinstall it.
    > Atre there tips on what to do/avoid?
    > I have my profile on a data disk. How will Tb find it?

    Problem solved itself.
    I could do virtually nothing, so I plunged into the deep.
    Uninstalled, remnoved complete program directory, reinstalled,
    started up.
    All was kept: mail, news, ectensions, and also the problems.

    Then I saw the light.
    When in Outlook I click on the mail-icon of a contact person to send
    him a mail, Outlook calls Outlook to do that, even if Tb is the
    default mail client.
    Apparently Tb does not use Tb to open HTML-mail, but calls the
    default e-mail client. And since a few days that was Outlook, that I
    now use for business mail (only the adresses in my businessdomain).
    (The reason: better contacts management, especially since Outlook 2007).
    I have kept the other 6 (!) addresses with usenet, human interest,
    newspapers, mail lists, private mail etc. in Tb.
    Outlook always and persistently asks to be set as the default e-mail
    client, and until I was ready moving all business mail history to
    Outlook I carefully refused. Last week I gave in, but it must have
    taken a while before I tried reading HTML-mail.

    Now I have set Tb as the default mail client, and I can read the
    daily newspaper HTML mail again.

    It seems that this client choice for HTML is a bug. Where can I
    deposit it , in order to be taken care of?

    --
    Loek

  3. Re: reinstall Tb, cause of problems found

    Loekie Ratelkous wrote:

    > Problem solved itself.
    > I could do virtually nothing, so I plunged into the deep.
    > Uninstalled, remnoved complete program directory, reinstalled,
    > started up.
    > All was kept: mail, news, ectensions, and also the problems.

    all your mail, news, passwords, etc, are stored in an area
    called the TB profile directory. This is separate from the
    program directory. When you uninstall, all you're doing is
    removing the program. The profile is not touched.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: reinstall Tb, cause of problems found

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo schreef:
    > Loekie Ratelkous wrote:
    >
    >> Problem solved itself.
    >> I could do virtually nothing, so I plunged into the deep.
    >> Uninstalled, remnoved complete program directory, reinstalled, started
    >> up.
    >> All was kept: mail, news, ectensions, and also the problems.

    > all your mail, news, passwords, etc, are stored in an area called the TB
    > profile directory. This is separate from the program directory. When
    > you uninstall, all you're doing is removing the program. The profile is
    > not touched.

    Thanks, yes, I knew that.
    But it was not obvious that Tb would find the profile that was no
    longer in the default folder. Thought that maybe it would create a
    new profile, that I would need to replace later.
    Well, looking back, I presume that the location was still in some
    registry key.

    --
    Loek

  5. Re: reinstall Tb, cause of problems found

    Loekie Ratelkous wrote:

    > Thanks, yes, I knew that. But it was not obvious that Tb would find
    > the profile that was no longer in the default folder. Thought that
    > maybe it would create a new profile, that I would need to replace
    > later. Well, looking back, I presume that the location was still in
    > some registry key.

    Thunderbird actually reads profile folder location from profiles.ini
    file which is also not touched during uninstall.

    --
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profiles.ini_file"

+ Reply to Thread