Separate Application from Data - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Separate Application from Data - Mozilla ; I'm a long time user of Eudora following the Penelope Project. One of the important features of Eudora is the ability to separate the "Mail Boxes" from the application. I.E., place the data on a server or shared resource, allowing ...

  1. Separate Application from Data

    I'm a long time user of Eudora following the Penelope Project.
    One of the important features of Eudora is the ability to separate the
    "Mail Boxes" from the application.
    I.E., place the data on a server or shared resource, allowing access
    from several computers.

    Does Thunderbird have any similar abilities..?

  2. Re: Separate Application from Data

    support@mbdsoft.com wrote:
    > I'm a long time user of Eudora following the Penelope Project.
    > One of the important features of Eudora is the ability to separate the
    > "Mail Boxes" from the application.
    > I.E., place the data on a server or shared resource, allowing access
    > from several computers.
    >
    > Does Thunderbird have any similar abilities..?

    Yes and no, see
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Finding_th...der_on_Windows
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    Notes:
    - Some data files contain explicit disk paths. If you move your profile, you
    must change these paths. This means that these path strings must also be
    changed between accessing the profile from OSes where the path syntax is
    different (Windows and Linux, for instance)
    - Some data files have different names on different OSes.
    - Any given profile may only be accessed by at most one instance of the
    program at a time, i.e., not by Tb1.5 and Tb2 on the same computer at the same
    time, and not from two (or more) different computers at the same time.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Velilind's Laws of Experimentation:
    (1) If reproducibility may be a problem, conduct the test only

  3. Re: Separate Application from Data

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > support@mbdsoft.com wrote:
    >> I'm a long time user of Eudora following the Penelope Project. One
    >> of the important features of Eudora is the ability to separate the
    >> "Mail Boxes" from the application. I.E., place the data on a server
    >> or shared resource, allowing access from several computers.
    >>
    >> Does Thunderbird have any similar abilities..?
    >>

    > Yes and no, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Finding_th...der_on_Windows
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder