Delete might delete unintended additional item(s?) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Delete might delete unintended additional item(s?) - Mozilla ; TB 2.0.0.6 (20070728) Win2K essentially fully patched No extensions (ever) loaded here Default theme Upgraded from TB 1.5.0.x last... Tuesday(?) I noticed a few unexpected items in a Trash folder today. I didn't think much about it 'cuz I could ...

  1. Delete might delete unintended additional item(s?)

    TB 2.0.0.6 (20070728)
    Win2K essentially fully patched
    No extensions (ever) loaded here
    Default theme
    Upgraded from TB 1.5.0.x last... Tuesday(?)

    I noticed a few unexpected items in a Trash folder today. I didn't
    think much about it 'cuz I could have simply selected too many items
    to delete. I moved them back into the related Inbox (IMAP) folder
    and went on with other stuff.

    Later, I was deleting a bunch of items from a mailing list,
    individuals and selected sets, and /thought/ I noticed an item
    disappearing from Inbox that I was pretty sure hadn't been selected.
    And the suspected lost item was indeed found in Trash; I returned
    it to Inbox.

    So, I did a quick test...

    I read through a thread of some 10 items. The Inbox list of e-mails
    was in Subject: sort order. I selected items 2 thru 9 in that
    section of the Inbox list and hit . Those eight items fairly
    quickly disappeared as expected. I continued watching...

    Maybe 3-5 seconds later, the tenth e-mail in that thread /also/
    disappeared and showed up in Trash.

    The only two connections I can think of between the selected set
    that correctly deleted and the item that deleted erroneously were
    (1) the same Subject: and (2) the last item is the one that was
    highlighted _after_ the original set finished deleting.

    I could be wrong about how long it took for that extra item to
    "auto-delete". It was long enough that I almost certainly wouldn't
    have noticed if I wasn't watching attentively. Nor do I have a good
    setup for running thorough tests on scenarios. (I'm not looking
    forward to deleting my e-mails possibly at random as a test!)

    Any suggestions before I try to file a bug?

    Thanks.

    --
    Tom Liotta

  2. Re: Delete might delete unintended additional item(s?)

    Tom Liotta wrote:
    > TB 2.0.0.6 (20070728) Win2K essentially fully patched No extensions
    > (ever) loaded here Default theme Upgraded from TB 1.5.0.x last...
    > Tuesday(?)
    >
    > I noticed a few unexpected items in a Trash folder today. I didn't
    > think much about it 'cuz I could have simply selected too many items
    > to delete. I moved them back into the related Inbox (IMAP) folder and
    > went on with other stuff.
    >
    > Later, I was deleting a bunch of items from a mailing list,
    > individuals and selected sets, and /thought/ I noticed an item
    > disappearing from Inbox that I was pretty sure hadn't been selected.
    > And the suspected lost item was indeed found in Trash; I returned it
    > to Inbox.
    >
    > So, I did a quick test...
    >
    > I read through a thread of some 10 items. The Inbox list of e-mails
    > was in Subject: sort order. I selected items 2 thru 9 in that section
    > of the Inbox list and hit . Those eight items fairly quickly
    > disappeared as expected. I continued watching...
    >
    > Maybe 3-5 seconds later, the tenth e-mail in that thread /also/
    > disappeared and showed up in Trash.
    >
    > The only two connections I can think of between the selected set that
    > correctly deleted and the item that deleted erroneously were (1) the
    > same Subject: and (2) the last item is the one that was highlighted
    > _after_ the original set finished deleting.

    Was that auto deleted item marked as Junk when you found it in Trash
    folder ?

  3. Re: Delete might delete unintended additional item(s?)

    Nir wrote:
    > Tom Liotta wrote:
    >> I read through a thread of some 10 items. The Inbox list of e-mails
    >> was in Subject: sort order. I selected items 2 thru 9 in that section
    >> of the Inbox list and hit . Those eight items fairly quickly
    >> disappeared as expected. I continued watching...
    >>
    >> Maybe 3-5 seconds later, the tenth e-mail in that thread /also/
    >> disappeared and showed up in Trash.
    >>
    >> The only two connections I can think of between the selected set that
    >> correctly deleted and the item that deleted erroneously were (1) the
    >> same Subject: and (2) the last item is the one that was highlighted
    >> _after_ the original set finished deleting.

    > Was that auto deleted item marked as Junk when you found it in Trash
    > folder ?

    No. Plain e-mail, just the next one in the thread like the ones
    before. No flags of any kind. No 'scam' notice, no 'junk'.

    If I hadn't seen the few odd, unexpected ones in Trash earlier in
    the day, I wouldn't have even been paying attention.

    As it is, I haven't seen it happen since, though I've also been
    pretty deliberate in detailed steps since. Just in case, I ran
    'Compact' against that Inbox after the noted auto-delete. Maybe that
    cleaned up relationships. Maybe.

    --
    Tom Liotta

+ Reply to Thread