Often can neither send nor download emails without rebooting my new Vista machine - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Often can neither send nor download emails without rebooting my new Vista machine - Mozilla ; Hi - hopefully someone out there can help me! I've just recently bought a new computer with the Vista Home Premium OS. I've loaded Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, using the same settings I use on the other two (XP) computers on my ...

  1. Often can neither send nor download emails without rebooting my new Vista machine

    Hi - hopefully someone out there can help me!

    I've just recently bought a new computer with the Vista Home Premium
    OS.

    I've loaded Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, using the same settings I use on the
    other two (XP) computers on my home network.

    Sometimes - actually, quite often, when I hit "Get Mail", I see
    "Downloading message x of x" in the bottom left hand corner, and my
    virus checker tells me the incoming mail is being scanned. But the
    mail never arrives...

    At these times, if I try to send mail, I'm told Thunderbird is
    connecting to my server, then that it's delivering the mail. But the
    mail doesn't go.

    If I reboot, all is well - until the next time. Trouble is, I can't
    identify any action on my part that might be triggering this anomaly.

    Needless to say, this never happens on the XP machines. If I save a
    message to Drafts, then go to another machine, I can send it out (and
    receive incoming mail) as normal.

    Any suggestions will be truly welcome. I'm getting tired of rebooting
    just so I can send/receive emails!

  2. Re: Often can neither send nor download emails without rebootingmy new Vista machine

    TM wrote:
    > Hi - hopefully someone out there can help me!
    >
    > I've just recently bought a new computer with the Vista Home Premium
    > OS.
    >
    > I've loaded Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, using the same settings I use on the
    > other two (XP) computers on my home network.
    >
    > Sometimes - actually, quite often, when I hit "Get Mail", I see
    > "Downloading message x of x" in the bottom left hand corner, and my
    > virus checker tells me the incoming mail is being scanned. But the
    > mail never arrives...
    >
    > At these times, if I try to send mail, I'm told Thunderbird is
    > connecting to my server, then that it's delivering the mail. But the
    > mail doesn't go.
    >
    > If I reboot, all is well - until the next time. Trouble is, I can't
    > identify any action on my part that might be triggering this anomaly.
    >

    > Needless to say, this never happens on the XP machines. If I save a
    > message to Drafts, then go to another machine, I can send it out (and
    > receive incoming mail) as normal.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be truly welcome. I'm getting tired of rebooting
    > just so I can send/receive emails!

    Close your antivirus program _completely_ .
    Now try to send/download messages .
    Do you experience same problem ?

  3. Re: Often can neither send nor download emails without rebooting my new Vista machine

    On Aug 27, 8:19 pm, Nir wrote:
    > TM wrote:
    > > Hi - hopefully someone out there can help me!

    > > I've just recently bought a new computer with the Vista Home Premium
    > > OS.

    > > I've loaded Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, using the same settings I use on the
    > > other two (XP) computers on my home network.

    > > Sometimes - actually, quite often, when I hit "Get Mail", I see
    > > "Downloading message x of x" in the bottom left hand corner, and my
    > > virus checker tells me the incoming mail is being scanned. But the
    > > mail never arrives...

    > > At these times, if I try to send mail, I'm told Thunderbird is
    > > connecting to my server, then that it's delivering the mail. But the
    > > mail doesn't go.

    > > If I reboot, all is well - until the next time. Trouble is, I can't
    > > identify any action on my part that might be triggering this anomaly.

    > > Needless to say, this never happens on the XP machines. If I save a
    > > message to Drafts, then go to another machine, I can send it out (and
    > > receive incoming mail) as normal.

    > > Any suggestions will be truly welcome. I'm getting tired of rebooting
    > > just so I can send/receive emails!

    > Close your antivirus program _completely_ .
    > Now try to send/download messages .
    > Do you experience same problem ?- Hide quoted text -

    I have two anti-virus programs running on this machine - AVG 7.5.484
    and Tesco Internet Security which came pre-installed on the box. It
    seems crazy, I know, but in Vista I can't see how I can completely
    close either of these programs short of uninstalling! Am I missing
    something? Sorry to come back with something so basic!

  4. Re: Often can neither send nor download emails without rebootingmy new Vista machine

    TM wrote:
    > On Aug 27, 8:19 pm, Nir wrote:
    >> TM wrote:
    >>> Hi - hopefully someone out there can help me!

    >>> I've just recently bought a new computer with the Vista Home
    >>> Premium OS.

    >>> I've loaded Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, using the same settings I use on
    >>> the other two (XP) computers on my home network.

    >>> Sometimes - actually, quite often, when I hit "Get Mail", I see
    >>> "Downloading message x of x" in the bottom left hand corner, and
    >>> my virus checker tells me the incoming mail is being scanned. But
    >>> the mail never arrives...

    >>> At these times, if I try to send mail, I'm told Thunderbird is
    >>> connecting to my server, then that it's delivering the mail. But
    >>> the mail doesn't go.

    >>> If I reboot, all is well - until the next time. Trouble is, I
    >>> can't identify any action on my part that might be triggering
    >>> this anomaly.

    >>> Needless to say, this never happens on the XP machines. If I save
    >>> a message to Drafts, then go to another machine, I can send it
    >>> out (and receive incoming mail) as normal.

    >>> Any suggestions will be truly welcome. I'm getting tired of
    >>> rebooting just so I can send/receive emails!

    >> Close your antivirus program _completely_ . Now try to
    >> send/download messages . Do you experience same problem ?- Hide
    >> quoted text -

    > I have two anti-virus programs running on this machine - AVG 7.5.484
    > and Tesco Internet Security which came pre-installed on the box. It
    > seems crazy, I know, but in Vista I can't see how I can completely
    > close either of these programs short of uninstalling! Am I missing
    > something? Sorry to come back with something so basic!

    AVG["http://www.hackfix.org/software/configure/avg.html"] :
    No email scan:

    If you choose not to use the email scan or use an email client that is
    not compatible,
    disabling the email scan will help reduce resources used by AVG

    To disable Email scan open AVG control Centre.
    Select email scanner tab
    Select Advanced
    Unselect Every option available
    Select OK
    Back under the email scanner tab Unselect all options to completely
    disable the email
    scanner.

    "Tesco Internet Security" :
    "http://www.tescosoftware.com/internetsecfaqs.php#23"

  5. Re: Often can neither send nor download emails without rebooting my new Vista machine

    On 28 Aug, 18:47, Nir wrote:
    > TM wrote:

    > >> Close your antivirus program _completely_ . Now try to
    > >> send/download messages . Do you experience same problem ?- Hide
    > >> quoted text -

    > > I have two anti-virus programs running on this machine - AVG 7.5.484
    > > and Tesco Internet Security which came pre-installed on the box. It
    > > seems crazy, I know, but in Vista I can't see how I can completely
    > > close either of these programs short of uninstalling! Am I missing
    > > something? Sorry to come back with something so basic!

    > AVG["http://www.hackfix.org/software/configure/avg.html"] :
    > No email scan:
    >
    > If you choose not to use the email scan or use an email client that is
    > not compatible,
    > disabling the email scan will help reduce resources used by AVG

    Many thanks for all this - I've noted it all and will keep it in mind.

    However, I suddenly realised that running two anti-virus programs at
    the same time might be causing a conflict.

    As I like the AVG certifications that appear on Sent and Received
    emails, I've uninstalled the TIS sysyem from the computer, and all now
    appears to be working OK. (Obviouly, I've turned on Windows' own
    firewall to replace that in TIS.)

    Thanks again, and all the best -

    TM