winmail.dat as an attachment thunderbird client on mac os x - Mozilla

This is a discussion on winmail.dat as an attachment thunderbird client on mac os x - Mozilla ; What is a thunderbird user on MAC OS X to do with a winmail.dat attachment? I find utilities for Apples mail client... I don't know what to do for thunderbird on MAC OS X. TIA>...

  1. winmail.dat as an attachment thunderbird client on mac os x

    What is a thunderbird user on MAC OS X to do with a winmail.dat
    attachment?
    I find utilities for Apples mail client... I don't know what to do for
    thunderbird on MAC OS X.

  2. Re: winmail.dat as an attachment thunderbird client on mac os x

    Thunderbird Leader SpreadTooThin teletyped, On 8/25/2007 9:01 PM:
    > What is a thunderbird user on MAC OS X to do with a winmail.dat
    > attachment?
    > I find utilities for Apples mail client... I don't know what to do for
    > thunderbird on MAC OS X.

    That is a MS Office attachment formated in TNEF. The sender has sent
    that assuming every one is using MS Outlook to read the attachment. One
    workaround is for the sender to re-send using a good document type.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  3. Re: winmail.dat as an attachment thunderbird client on mac os x

    Ron K. skrev, on 26-08-2007 04:04:
    > Thunderbird Leader SpreadTooThin teletyped, On 8/25/2007 9:01 PM:
    >> What is a thunderbird user on MAC OS X to do with a winmail.dat
    >> attachment?
    >> I find utilities for Apples mail client... I don't know what to do for
    >> thunderbird on MAC OS X.

    > That is a MS Office attachment formated in TNEF. The sender has sent
    > that assuming every one is using MS Outlook to read the attachment. One
    > workaround is for the sender to re-send using a good document type.

    Another is googleing for tnef and whatever OS and having this come up as
    part of the first site returned:

    http://www.joshjacob.com/macdev/tnef/download.html

    The key phrase is "they who seek shall find".

    --Tonni

    --
    Tonni Earnshaw
    email: tonni dot at dot hetnet dot nl

  4. Re: winmail.dat as an attachment thunderbird client on mac os x

    Tony Earnshaw wrote:

    > Another is googleing for tnef and whatever OS and having this come up
    > as part of the first site returned:
    >
    > http://www.joshjacob.com/macdev/tnef/download.html
    >
    > The key phrase is "they who seek shall find".
    >
    > --Tonni

    ... also this add-ons
    "https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4433"

    --
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Winmail.dat_attachments#Solutions"

  5. Re: winmail.dat as an attachment thunderbird client on mac os x

    SpreadTooThin wrote:
    > What is a thunderbird user on MAC OS X to do with a winmail.dat
    > attachment?
    > I find utilities for Apples mail client... I don't know what to do for
    > thunderbird on MAC OS X.

    Its useless information. Usually files that have winmail.dat attached
    are from people that use Microsoft's Outlook. and the winmail
    information is to be used by other Outlook users for formatting.
    Supposed the sending or not sending of this is settable outlook. But
    odds are they either they don't know about the setting (too complex to
    find). Or the ones smart enough to know how to turn off don't care.

  6. Re: winmail.dat as an attachment thunderbird client on mac os x

    On Aug 26, 8:51 am, "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T"
    wrote:
    > SpreadTooThin wrote:
    > > What is a thunderbird user on MAC OS X to do with a winmail.dat
    > > attachment?
    > > I find utilities for Apples mail client... I don't know what to do for
    > > thunderbird on MAC OS X.

    Thanks all for the help.. I did find the Thunderbird plugin and it
    worked.

    > Its useless information. Usually files that have winmail.dat attached
    > are from people that use Microsoft's Outlook. and the winmail
    > information is to be used by other Outlook users for formatting.

    It was medical data as an attachment. Quite usefull actually.

    > Supposed the sending or not sending of this is settable outlook. But
    > odds are they either they don't know about the setting (too complex to
    > find). Or the ones smart enough to know how to turn off don't care.

    Well yes but the fact that we can deal with inexperienced or lazy or
    senior
    citizens and get the information one way or another is what sets us
    appart...
    No?

+ Reply to Thread