Linux Upgrade - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Linux Upgrade - Mozilla ; Having discovered that my "leave email on server until I delete or remove from INBOX" problem was inherent in TB v1.5.07, I decided to upgrade t0 2.0.0.6. All that I could find was a gzipped tarball, so I downloaded it ...

  1. Linux Upgrade

    Having discovered that my "leave email on server until I delete or
    remove from INBOX" problem was inherent in TB v1.5.07, I decided to
    upgrade t0 2.0.0.6.

    All that I could find was a gzipped tarball, so I downloaded it and
    extracted the contents. Hmmm...no installation instructions!! And none
    on the getthunderbird.com site, either!

    So I ran ./mozilla-installer-bin and things began to happen. A new
    profile directory was created in $HOME/.thunderbird (the old one was in
    $HOME/.mozilla-thunderbird) and I copied everything from the old one to
    the new one.

    Now, the new executable is nowhere to be found! So I executed the
    thunderbird file from the installation directory and, while it sees the
    extensions, it doesn't see the accounts!!!

    Help, please.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather --
    not screaming like the passengers in his car.
    --Author Unknown

  2. Re: Linux Upgrade

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Having discovered that my "leave email on server until I delete or
    > remove from INBOX" problem was inherent in TB v1.5.07, I decided to
    > upgrade t0 2.0.0.6.
    >
    > All that I could find was a gzipped tarball, so I downloaded it and
    > extracted the contents. Hmmm...no installation instructions!! And none
    > on the getthunderbird.com site, either!
    >
    > So I ran ./mozilla-installer-bin and things began to happen. A new
    > profile directory was created in $HOME/.thunderbird (the old one was in
    > $HOME/.mozilla-thunderbird) and I copied everything from the old one to
    > the new one.
    >
    > Now, the new executable is nowhere to be found! So I executed the
    > thunderbird file from the installation directory and, while it sees the
    > extensions, it doesn't see the accounts!!!
    >
    > Help, please.

    Where did the installer-bin come from? Did you download that from the
    TBird site? Did it match the TB version you were trying to install?
    Did it give any error messages or ask any path questions during the
    install process? Did you run it as root?

    A quick guess as to what may have happened is when you copied your old
    profile over to the new you didn't change the paths in your preferences
    file (prefs.js).

    --
    Those who can, do. Those who can't, simulate.

+ Reply to Thread