Where is the configuration for each account kept? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Where is the configuration for each account kept? - Mozilla ; I'm running into a problem -- TB starts up and begins to download, but then it shuts down. I have each account set to download on start. Is there a text file I could edit to change that? Thanks. -- ...

  1. Where is the configuration for each account kept?

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with
    chocolate...
    --Charles Dickens

  2. Re: Where is the configuration for each account kept?

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > I'm running into a problem -- TB starts up and begins to download, but
    > then it shuts down.
    >
    > I have each account set to download on start. Is there a text file I
    > could edit to change that?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You could try:

    1) starting with the modem disconnected;

    2) starting in safe mode

    thunderbird -safe-mode

    3) starting in the Profile Manager (with which you can, e.g., create a virgin
    profile)

    thunderbird -ProfileManager

    4) if all else fails, the nondefault prefs listed in the Config Editor are
    kept in a file named "prefs.js" in your profile folder (see
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird for details). DON'T
    EDIT THAT FILE WHILE THUNDERBIRD IS RUNNING: it is overwritten at shutdown.
    Its contents are overridden by those of user.js (in the same directory), which
    Thunderbird reads only at startup and never overwrites. The latter may
    therefore be edited at any time but will only take effect on restart.

    For an explanation of what those prefs do, see:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:P...Thunderbird%29

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Electrical Engineers do it with less resistance.

  3. Re: Where is the configuration for each account kept?

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > I'm running into a problem -- TB starts up and begins to download, but
    > then it shuts down.
    >
    > I have each account set to download on start. Is there a text file I
    > could edit to change that?
    >
    > Thanks.

    you change it within the account settings for each account,
    and under Server Settings.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: Where is the configuration for each account kept?

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck keyed the following on 8/25/2007 12:02 AM:
    > --
    > Pete Holsberg
    > Columbus, NJ
    >
    > Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache,
    > do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin" and "Keep away
    > from children."
    > --Author Unknown
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm running into a problem -- TB starts up and begins to download, but
    >>> then it shuts down.
    >>>
    >>> I have each account set to download on start. Is there a text file I
    >>> could edit to change that?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> You could try:
    >>
    >> 1) starting with the modem disconnected;
    >>

    > Won't TB just hang then?

    I don't think so. When my ISP disconnects the line from the other end, Tb
    doesn't (of course) download anything anymore, but remains available (e.g. to
    read previous mails), doesn't monopolize CPU time, and will start
    spontaneously periodically polling the mail server again once I reconnect.

    About that auto-update, it may or may not pop an alert, possibly with "Retry"
    and "Cancel" buttons.

    >> 2) starting in safe mode
    >>
    >> thunderbird -safe-mode
    >>

    > Worth a try.
    >
    >> 3) starting in the Profile Manager (with which you can, e.g., create a virgin
    >> profile)
    >>

    > And how will that help me correct what's wrong with the old profile?

    I don't know. Maybe check (in the Config Editor) the names and default values
    of preferences which _are_ at their default, and therefore are not mentioned
    in prefs.js (about which, see below).

    >> thunderbird -ProfileManager
    >>
    >> 4) if all else fails, the nondefault prefs listed in the Config Editor are
    >> kept in a file named "prefs.js" in your profile folder

    > Aha!! Thanks.

    My pleasure.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Main's Law:
    For every action there is an equal and opposite government

  5. Re: Where is the configuration for each account kept?

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > I'm running into a problem -- TB starts up and begins to download, but
    > then it shuts down.
    >
    > I have each account set to download on start. Is there a text file I
    > could edit to change that?
    >
    > Thanks.

    in your prefs.js, search for --> login_at_startup

+ Reply to Thread