Question for the Dev's if you can. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Question for the Dev's if you can. - Mozilla ; With the recent upgrade to 2.0.0.6 I have found my system extremely slow when opening my newsgroup folders. Some have a large number of subscribed groups while others have just a few, like 6. Where they used to update in ...

  1. Question for the Dev's if you can.

    With the recent upgrade to 2.0.0.6 I have found my system extremely slow
    when opening my newsgroup folders. Some have a large number of
    subscribed groups while others have just a few, like 6. Where they used
    to update in just few moments they now take 15 to 20 times as long. The
    only change made was the update. It seems as though they originally
    only downloaded the header data while now they are downloading the
    entire message, or so it seems, although when I preview a message I
    notice internet access occurs as viewed on my modem & on Zonealarm. At
    this point it seems slower than the M$ products - ouch. The email
    accounts still work as they did before. Only the newsgroups appear slower.

    James

  2. Re: Question for the Dev's if you can.

    Thunderbird Leader James teletyped, On 8/24/2007 3:16 PM:
    > With the recent upgrade to 2.0.0.6 I have found my system extremely
    > slow when opening my newsgroup folders. Some have a large number of
    > subscribed groups while others have just a few, like 6. Where they
    > used to update in just few moments they now take 15 to 20 times as
    > long. The only change made was the update. It seems as though they
    > originally only downloaded the header data while now they are
    > downloading the entire message, or so it seems, although when I
    > preview a message I notice internet access occurs as viewed on my
    > modem & on Zonealarm. At this point it seems slower than the M$
    > products - ouch. The email accounts still work as they did before.
    > Only the newsgroups appear slower.
    >
    > James

    When you open a news server account folder, a factor in load time is the
    retention time you have set for the groups within the account. If it is
    a high traffic group with hundreds of posts per day and you have a long
    header retention, there will be a lot of indexing of threads to get the
    display for the thread pane generated. You can set a different
    retention on a per group basis. Right click the group in folder pane
    and select properties. In retention tab. make your edits for that group.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  3. Re: Question for the Dev's if you can.

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader James teletyped, On 8/24/2007 3:16 PM:
    >> With the recent upgrade to 2.0.0.6 I have found my system extremely
    >> slow when opening my newsgroup folders. Some have a large number of
    >> subscribed groups while others have just a few, like 6. Where they
    >> used to update in just few moments they now take 15 to 20 times as
    >> long. The only change made was the update. It seems as though they
    >> originally only downloaded the header data while now they are
    >> downloading the entire message, or so it seems, although when I
    >> preview a message I notice internet access occurs as viewed on my
    >> modem & on Zonealarm. At this point it seems slower than the M$
    >> products - ouch. The email accounts still work as they did before.
    >> Only the newsgroups appear slower.
    >>
    >> James

    > When you open a news server account folder, a factor in load time is the
    > retention time you have set for the groups within the account. If it is
    > a high traffic group with hundreds of posts per day and you have a long
    > header retention, there will be a lot of indexing of threads to get the
    > display for the thread pane generated. You can set a different
    > retention on a per group basis. Right click the group in folder pane
    > and select properties. In retention tab. make your edits for that group.

    The retention policies were not changed from "use server defaults" and
    the change in performance happened with the upgrade to 2.0.0.6 from the
    last 1.5.0x version. No other changes were made.

    James

  4. Re: Question for the Dev's if you can.

    Thunderbird Leader James teletyped, On 8/25/2007 12:31 AM:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Thunderbird Leader James teletyped, On 8/24/2007 3:16 PM:
    >>> With the recent upgrade to 2.0.0.6 I have found my system extremely
    >>> slow when opening my newsgroup folders. Some have a large number of
    >>> subscribed groups while others have just a few, like 6. Where they
    >>> used to update in just few moments they now take 15 to 20 times as
    >>> long. The only change made was the update. It seems as though they
    >>> originally only downloaded the header data while now they are
    >>> downloading the entire message, or so it seems, although when I
    >>> preview a message I notice internet access occurs as viewed on my
    >>> modem & on Zonealarm. At this point it seems slower than the M$
    >>> products - ouch. The email accounts still work as they did before.
    >>> Only the newsgroups appear slower.
    >>>
    >>> James

    >> When you open a news server account folder, a factor in load time is
    >> the retention time you have set for the groups within the account.
    >> If it is a high traffic group with hundreds of posts per day and you
    >> have a long header retention, there will be a lot of indexing of
    >> threads to get the display for the thread pane generated. You can
    >> set a different retention on a per group basis. Right click the
    >> group in folder pane and select properties. In retention tab. make
    >> your edits for that group.
    >>

    > The retention policies were not changed from "use server defaults" and
    > the change in performance happened with the upgrade to 2.0.0.6 from
    > the last 1.5.0x version. No other changes were made.
    >
    > James

    Personally I have seen no change in performance after updating. So, I
    can only suggest some of the more common causes of degredation. News
    reading is set up as a retrieve headers count info only as step one.
    That gives a potential count of the quantity of unread messages. Step
    two is fetching the actual header info one sees in the thread pane. The
    third and last step is fetching the actual body of a news posting.
    Always the performance of Your ISP is a factor in the speed with which
    Tb can reach a state of Your being able to access a specific message.

    If one wants a high performance news reader, then Tb is *Not* it. Get
    Xnews or one of the other standalone news readers. Tb is a great IMAP
    and POP3 mail tool, but sucks as a news reader. Support of NNTP has been
    negligent for years, as noted by the very poor support of the yEnc
    encoding technology.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  5. Re: Question for the Dev's if you can.

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader James teletyped, On 8/25/2007 12:31 AM:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> Thunderbird Leader James teletyped, On 8/24/2007 3:16 PM:

    >>> When you open a news server account folder, a factor in load time is
    >>> the retention time you have set for the groups within the account.
    >>> If it is a high traffic group with hundreds of posts per day and you
    >>> have a long header retention, there will be a lot of indexing of
    >>> threads to get the display for the thread pane generated. You can
    >>> set a different retention on a per group basis. Right click the
    >>> group in folder pane and select properties. In retention tab. make
    >>> your edits for that group.
    >>>

    >> The retention policies were not changed from "use server defaults" and
    >> the change in performance happened with the upgrade to 2.0.0.6 from
    >> the last 1.5.0x version. No other changes were made.
    >>
    >> James

    > Personally I have seen no change in performance after updating. So, I
    > can only suggest some of the more common causes of degredation. News
    > reading is set up as a retrieve headers count info only as step one.
    > That gives a potential count of the quantity of unread messages. Step
    > two is fetching the actual header info one sees in the thread pane. The
    > third and last step is fetching the actual body of a news posting.
    > Always the performance of Your ISP is a factor in the speed with which
    > Tb can reach a state of Your being able to access a specific message.
    >

    > If one wants a high performance news reader, then Tb is *Not* it. Get
    > Xnews or one of the other standalone news readers. Tb is a great IMAP
    > and POP3 mail tool, but sucks as a news reader. Support of NNTP has been
    > negligent for years, as noted by the very poor support of the yEnc
    > encoding technology.

    It is a GREAT TEXT newsreader. Not so great for binaries. I find the
    Xnews UI to be a pain, but it does work pretty well.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  6. Re: Question for the Dev's if you can.

    On 8/24/2007 3:16 PM, James wrote:
    > With the recent upgrade to 2.0.0.6 I have found my system extremely slow
    > when opening my newsgroup folders. Some have a large number of
    > subscribed groups while others have just a few, like 6. Where they used
    > to update in just few moments they now take 15 to 20 times as long. The
    > only change made was the update. It seems as though they originally
    > only downloaded the header data while now they are downloading the
    > entire message, or so it seems, although when I preview a message I
    > notice internet access occurs as viewed on my modem & on Zonealarm. At
    > this point it seems slower than the M$ products - ouch. The email
    > accounts still work as they did before. Only the newsgroups appear slower.
    >
    > James

    pick one affected newsgroup and please quantify
    - how much time in 1.5?
    - how much in 2.0?
    - how many messages?
    - in your profile, what is size of .msf

    does displaying the actual message within the newsgroup perform fine?

  7. Re: Question for the Dev's if you can.

    Thunderbird Leader Ron Hunter teletyped, On 8/25/2007 5:03 AM:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Thunderbird Leader James teletyped, On 8/25/2007 12:31 AM:

    >>> The retention policies were not changed from "use server defaults"
    >>> and the change in performance happened with the upgrade to 2.0.0.6
    >>> from the last 1.5.0x version. No other changes were made.
    >>>
    >>> James

    >> Personally I have seen no change in performance after updating. So,
    >> I can only suggest some of the more common causes of degredation.
    >> News reading is set up as a retrieve headers count info only as step
    >> one. That gives a potential count of the quantity of unread
    >> messages. Step two is fetching the actual header info one sees in
    >> the thread pane. The third and last step is fetching the actual body
    >> of a news posting. Always the performance of Your ISP is a factor in
    >> the speed with which Tb can reach a state of Your being able to
    >> access a specific message.
    >>

    >> If one wants a high performance news reader, then Tb is *Not* it.
    >> Get Xnews or one of the other standalone news readers. Tb is a great
    >> IMAP and POP3 mail tool, but sucks as a news reader. Support of NNTP
    >> has been negligent for years, as noted by the very poor support of
    >> the yEnc encoding technology.
    >>

    > It is a GREAT TEXT newsreader. Not so great for binaries. I find the
    > Xnews UI to be a pain, but it does work pretty well.

    I could agree if a good news reader did not need the filtering options.
    To be fair, Tb does a good job of displaying HTML messages.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

+ Reply to Thread