Automatic Download of Newsgroup Headers - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Automatic Download of Newsgroup Headers - Mozilla ; I just started using TB and have the latest version. I am using it as a newsgroup reader. I have it set to check every 5 minutes for new messages. The counter increases but the headers are not downloaded until ...

  1. Automatic Download of Newsgroup Headers

    I just started using TB and have the latest version. I am using it as
    a newsgroup reader. I have it set to check every 5 minutes for new
    messages. The counter increases but the headers are not downloaded
    until I click "Get Mail". Is there some way to have it automatically
    download the headers?

    Thanks,
    Don

  2. Re: Automatic Download of Newsgroup Headers

    donl517@mwconnections.com wrote:
    > I just started using TB and have the latest version. I am using it as
    > a newsgroup reader. I have it set to check every 5 minutes for new
    > messages. The counter increases but the headers are not downloaded
    > until I click "Get Mail". Is there some way to have it automatically
    > download the headers?
    >
    > Thanks, Don

    Just click on that newsgroup name in folder pane and new headers will be
    downloaded .

  3. Re: Automatic Download of Newsgroup Headers

    On Aug 24, 7:53 am, Nir wrote:
    > donl...@mwconnections.com wrote:
    > > I just started using TB and have the latest version. I am using it as
    > > a newsgroup reader. I have it set to check every 5 minutes for new
    > > messages. The counter increases but the headers are not downloaded
    > > until I click "Get Mail". Is there some way to have it automatically
    > > download the headers?

    > > Thanks, Don

    > Just click on that newsgroup name in folder pane and new headers will be
    > downloaded .

    So I take it that's a no?

    Thanks,
    Don

  4. Re: Automatic Download of Newsgroup Headers

    donl517@mwconnections.com wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 7:53 am, Nir wrote:
    >> donl...@mwconnections.com wrote:
    >>> I just started using TB and have the latest version. I am using
    >>> it as a newsgroup reader. I have it set to check every 5 minutes
    >>> for new messages. The counter increases but the headers are not
    >>> downloaded until I click "Get Mail". Is there some way to have it
    >>> automatically download the headers?

    >>> Thanks, Don

    >> Just click on that newsgroup name in folder pane and new headers
    >> will be downloaded .

    > So I take it that's a no?

    Right .
    But Don , to view newsgroup posts in message list pane ( right ) you
    need atleast to select that newsgroup name in folder pane and that will
    download new headers .

  5. Re: Automatic Download of Newsgroup Headers

    On Aug 24, 9:02 am, Nir wrote:
    > donl...@mwconnections.com wrote:

    > >> Just click on that newsgroup name in folder pane and new headers
    > >> will be downloaded .

    > > So I take it that's a no?

    > Right .
    > But Don , to view newsgroup posts in message list pane ( right ) you
    > need atleast to select that newsgroup name in folder pane and that will
    > download new headers .- Hide quoted text -

    I understand how to view them, I just thought when I set the checkbox
    to look for new messages every x Minutes it would not just indicate
    there were new messages
    but also download the headers. (similar to how OE handles them)

    Thanks again,
    Don

  6. Re: Automatic Download of Newsgroup Headers

    donl517@mwconnections.com wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 9:02 am, Nir wrote:
    >> donl...@mwconnections.com wrote:

    >> > So I take it that's a no?

    >> Right .
    >> But Don , to view newsgroup posts in message list pane ( right ) you
    >> need atleast to select that newsgroup name in folder pane and that will
    >> download new headers .- Hide quoted text -

    > I understand how to view them, I just thought when I set the checkbox
    > to look for new messages every x Minutes it would not just indicate
    > there were new messages
    > but also download the headers. (similar to how OE handles them)

    If I understand correctly, you want it to automatically repopulate the
    header pane with new headers while the header pane is active. I don't
    believe this is possible. If you leave/re-enter the group new headers
    will be shown; if you click Get Msgs new headers will be shown. Note on
    the latter you may not instantly see them if you use the threaded view,
    but the threads containing new headers will become underscored.

    --
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

  7. Re: Automatic Download of Newsgroup Headers

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > donl517@mwconnections.com wrote:
    >>> Right .
    >>> But Don , to view newsgroup posts in message list pane ( right ) you
    >>> need atleast to select that newsgroup name in folder pane and that will
    >>> download new headers .- Hide quoted text -

    >> I understand how to view them, I just thought when I set the checkbox
    >> to look for new messages every x Minutes it would not just indicate
    >> there were new messages
    >> but also download the headers. (similar to how OE handles them)

    > If I understand correctly, you want it to automatically repopulate the
    > header pane with new headers while the header pane is active. I don't
    > believe this is possible. If you leave/re-enter the group new headers
    > will be shown; if you click Get Msgs new headers will be shown. Note on
    > the latter you may not instantly see them if you use the threaded view,
    > but the threads containing new headers will become underscored.

    not what the OP wants but I've found the closest thing to it is to just
    collapse and expand the newsgroups folder, this downloads the newest
    headers----actually I've been trying to keep it from doing this and
    haven't found a way

  8. Re: Automatic Download of Newsgroup Headers

    On Aug 24, 11:51 am, SG wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > > donl...@mwconnections.com wrote:

    > >> I understand how to view them, I just thought when I set the checkbox
    > >> to look for new messages every x Minutes it would not just indicate
    > >> there were new messages
    > >> but also download the headers. (similar to how OE handles them)

    > > If I understand correctly, you want it to automatically repopulate the
    > > header pane with new headers while the header pane is active. I don't
    > > believe this is possible. If you leave/re-enter the group new headers
    > > will be shown; if you click Get Msgs new headers will be shown. Note on
    > > the latter you may not instantly see them if you use the threaded view,
    > > but the threads containing new headers will become underscored.

    > not what the OP wants but I've found the closest thing to it is to just
    > collapse and expand the newsgroups folder, this downloads the newest
    > headers----actually I've been trying to keep it from doing this and
    > haven't found a way- Hide quoted text -

    OK Thanks All!
    Don