Virus - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Virus - Mozilla ; Rodney Kelp wrote: > There seems to be a virus spreading through email called Win32:Swen > [wrm] Part No_0#3246982832 VPS Version 767-4 08/22/2007. > I found it with Avast. It was in a local Thunderbird directory. I don't > think ...

  1. Re: Virus

    Rodney Kelp wrote:
    > There seems to be a virus spreading through email called Win32:Swen
    > [wrm] Part No_0#3246982832 VPS Version 767-4 08/22/2007.
    > I found it with Avast. It was in a local Thunderbird directory. I don't
    > think it can operate in a Linux setting. It is a registry key
    > manipulator and affects firewalls and virus scanners. But just the fact
    > that is was sitting in my computer irritates me. Keep your eyes open.

    just because it was sitting on your computer doesn't mean
    anything. Its in its dormant mode. The virus comes as an
    attachment. Click on the attachment and you've opened a can
    of whop-ass.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  2. Virus

    There seems to be a virus spreading through email called Win32:Swen
    [wrm] Part No_0#3246982832 VPS Version 767-4 08/22/2007.
    I found it with Avast. It was in a local Thunderbird directory. I don't
    think it can operate in a Linux setting. It is a registry key
    manipulator and affects firewalls and virus scanners. But just the fact
    that is was sitting in my computer irritates me. Keep your eyes open.

  3. Re: Virus

    Rodney Kelp wrote:
    > There seems to be a virus spreading through email called Win32:Swen
    > [wrm] Part No_0#3246982832 VPS Version 767-4 08/22/2007.
    > I found it with Avast. It was in a local Thunderbird directory. I don't
    > think it can operate in a Linux setting. It is a registry key
    > manipulator and affects firewalls and virus scanners. But just the fact
    > that is was sitting in my computer irritates me. Keep your eyes open.

    Does it indicates which file is actually infected ?

  4. Re: Virus

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Rodney Kelp wrote:
    >> There seems to be a virus spreading through email called Win32:Swen
    >> [wrm] Part No_0#3246982832 VPS Version 767-4 08/22/2007.
    >> I found it with Avast. It was in a local Thunderbird directory. I don't
    >> think it can operate in a Linux setting. It is a registry key
    >> manipulator and affects firewalls and virus scanners. But just the fact
    >> that is was sitting in my computer irritates me. Keep your eyes open.

    > just because it was sitting on your computer doesn't mean
    > anything. Its in its dormant mode. The virus comes as an
    > attachment. Click on the attachment and you've opened a can
    > of whop-ass.

    It's going to have trouble finding a Windows registry on his Linux box.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  5. Re: Virus

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Rodney Kelp wrote:
    >>> There seems to be a virus spreading through email called Win32:Swen
    >>> [wrm] Part No_0#3246982832 VPS Version 767-4 08/22/2007.
    >>> I found it with Avast. It was in a local Thunderbird directory. I don't
    >>> think it can operate in a Linux setting. It is a registry key
    >>> manipulator and affects firewalls and virus scanners. But just the fact
    >>> that is was sitting in my computer irritates me. Keep your eyes open.

    >> just because it was sitting on your computer doesn't mean
    >> anything. Its in its dormant mode. The virus comes as an
    >> attachment. Click on the attachment and you've opened a can
    >> of whop-ass.

    > It's going to have trouble finding a Windows registry on his Linux box.

    even so, having a virus in TBs inbox, or other folder, is no
    concern for alarms. Its not going to cause any problems.
    Even if the OP had windows, there is still no cause for
    panic or getting up tight about having it there. You can
    even click on the message itself and nothing will happen.
    The virus does not spring into operation until you click on
    the attachment.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: Virus

    On 8/23/2007 6:04 AM, Rodney Kelp wrote:
    > There seems to be a virus spreading through email called Win32:Swen
    > [wrm] Part No_0#3246982832 VPS Version 767-4 08/22/2007.
    > I found it with Avast. It was in a local Thunderbird directory. I don't
    > think it can operate in a Linux setting. It is a registry key
    > manipulator and affects firewalls and virus scanners. But just the fact
    > that is was sitting in my computer irritates me. Keep your eyes open.

    This is a worm and was first reported in 2001. It's also known as
    W32.Swen.A@mm, W32/Gibe-F, I-Worm.Swen, and other names.

    See .

    --

    David E. Ross
    .

    bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. 1997

  7. Re: Virus

    clay wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> It's going to have trouble finding a Windows registry on his Linux box.
    >>>

    >> even so, having a virus in TBs inbox, or other folder, is no concern for
    >> alarms. Its not going to cause any problems. Even if the OP had
    >> windows, there is still no cause for panic or getting up tight about
    >> having it there. You can even click on the message itself and nothing
    >> will happen. The virus does not spring into operation until you click on
    >> the attachment.
    >>

    > ...even then, nothing should happen other than Thunderbird asking you
    > where you'd like to put it.

    exactly. Nothing will happen until you activate it.

    > Or not.
    > Maybe I'm confusing with Firefox that won't run a exe(cutable), only
    > save it.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Virus

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> just because it was sitting on your computer doesn't mean anything.
    >>> Its in its dormant mode. The virus comes as an attachment. Click on
    >>> the attachment and you've opened a can of whop-ass.

    >> It's going to have trouble finding a Windows registry on his Linux box.
    >>

    > even so, having a virus in TBs inbox, or other folder, is no concern for
    > alarms. Its not going to cause any problems. Even if the OP had
    > windows, there is still no cause for panic or getting up tight about
    > having it there. You can even click on the message itself and nothing
    > will happen. The virus does not spring into operation until you click on
    > the attachment.

    Yes. It is rather like having all your guests come into a room that
    can't be opened into the rest of the house until you have checked them
    all for illegal weapons and drugs, etc. Hummm. Maybe that would be a
    good idea for people like Bill Gates, or Oprah....
    Life mirrors online.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread