Show Images - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Show Images - Mozilla ; In TBird 1.5 I had created an "Show Images" address book where I put the addresses of the messages I want to see the images they contain. In TBird 2, when the images in a message are blocked I have ...

  1. Show Images

    In TBird 1.5 I had created an "Show Images" address book where I put the
    addresses of the messages I want to see the images they contain.

    In TBird 2, when the images in a message are blocked I have the option
    of clicking so that in the future it will show the images from the
    messages from the same address.

    Where does TBird 2 stores the addresses if I do so? And, I suppose, my
    "Show Images address book is now redundant, right?

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

  2. Re: Show Images

    Eustace wrote:
    > In TBird 1.5 I had created an "Show Images" address book where I put the
    > addresses of the messages I want to see the images they contain.
    >
    > In TBird 2, when the images in a message are blocked I have the option
    > of clicking so that in the future it will show the images from the
    > messages from the same address.
    >
    > Where does TBird 2 stores the addresses if I do so? And, I suppose, my
    > "Show Images address book is now redundant, right?
    >
    > Eustace

    It stores that information right on the Address Card for the address in
    question. If you bring up an Address Card for an address, you will see
    the following entry
    [] Allow remote images in HTML mail

    If that checkbox is checked then you will be able to see remote images
    sent by that person/email, if it isn't (and you have remote images
    blocked) you won't see them.

    Yes, I would say your 'Show Images' address book is redundant for that
    purpose any way.

  3. Re: Show Images

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Eustace wrote:
    >> In TBird 1.5 I had created an "Show Images" address book where I put
    >> the addresses of the messages I want to see the images they contain.
    >>
    >> In TBird 2, when the images in a message are blocked I have the option
    >> of clicking so that in the future it will show the images from the
    >> messages from the same address.
    >>
    >> Where does TBird 2 stores the addresses if I do so? And, I suppose, my
    >> "Show Images address book is now redundant, right?
    >>
    >> Eustace
    >>

    > It stores that information right on the Address Card for the address in
    > question. If you bring up an Address Card for an address, you will see
    > the following entry
    > [] Allow remote images in HTML mail
    >
    > If that checkbox is checked then you will be able to see remote images
    > sent by that person/email, if it isn't (and you have remote images
    > blocked) you won't see them.

    what if it IS checked and still don't show?

    I posted on this problem earlier today, maybe it didn't show up?!?!

    Here it is again in case:

    Thunderbird version 2.0.0.6 (20070728)

    I have a contact that attaches a lot of pictures and they used to open
    up in view pane but no longer do.

    I've checked everything from here:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_in_..._do_not_appear

    mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image = true .......but, doesn't
    the following override this for selected users?

    You can still change that setting by modifying
    mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image in the Config editor.
    Thunderbird 2.0 blocks all remote images by default. You can enable
    remote images for an email address by clicking on "Click here to always
    load remote images from ...". That adds an entry to the address book
    that has "Allow remote images in HTML mail" checked.

    Allow remote images in HTML mail from this user IS checked but I don't
    see an entry for user?!?!?!?

    I may have just answered myself here: Do they only display if sender
    sends in HTML format?

    alt/view/message body as/original HTML is checked

    alt/view/display attachments inline is checked

    mail.inline_attachments = true (i suppose the above toggles this)

    are there other settings I'm overlooking?

    Thanx!!!

  4. Re: Show Images

    SG wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >> It stores that information right on the Address Card for the address
    >> in question. If you bring up an Address Card for an address, you will
    >> see the following entry
    >> [] Allow remote images in HTML mail
    >>
    >> If that checkbox is checked then you will be able to see remote images
    >> sent by that person/email, if it isn't (and you have remote images
    >> blocked) you won't see them.
    >>

    > what if it IS checked and still don't show?
    >
    > I posted on this problem earlier today, maybe it didn't show up?!?!
    >
    > Here it is again in case:
    >
    > Thunderbird version 2.0.0.6 (20070728)
    >

    > I have a contact that attaches a lot of pictures and they used to open
    > up in view pane but no longer do.
    >
    > I've checked everything from here:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_in_..._do_not_appear
    >
    > mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image = true .......but, doesn't
    > the following override this for selected users?
    >
    > You can still change that setting by modifying
    > mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image in the Config editor.
    > Thunderbird 2.0 blocks all remote images by default. You can enable
    > remote images for an email address by clicking on "Click here to always
    > load remote images from ...". That adds an entry to the address book
    > that has "Allow remote images in HTML mail" checked.
    >
    > Allow remote images in HTML mail from this user IS checked but I don't
    > see an entry for user?!?!?!?

    Not understanding what you mean by "...I don't see an entry for user?..."
    The entry for the user is on the address card for that particular user.

    > I may have just answered myself here: Do they only display if sender
    > sends in HTML format?

    If sent in plain text, images would be in attachments

    > alt/view/message body as/original HTML is checked
    >
    > alt/view/display attachments inline is checked
    >
    > mail.inline_attachments = true (i suppose the above toggles this)
    >

    > are there other settings I'm overlooking?
    >
    > Thanx!!!

    If the message is not personal, then you could send a copy to me to see
    what issues there could be. If you wished to of course. Send to
    moz.champion@sympatico.ca

  5. Re: Show Images

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > SG wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> It stores that information right on the Address Card for the address
    >>> in question. If you bring up an Address Card for an address, you will
    >>> see the following entry
    >>> [] Allow remote images in HTML mail
    >>>
    >>> If that checkbox is checked then you will be able to see remote
    >>> images sent by that person/email, if it isn't (and you have remote
    >>> images blocked) you won't see them.
    >>>

    >> what if it IS checked and still don't show?
    >>
    >> I posted on this problem earlier today, maybe it didn't show up?!?!
    >>
    >> Here it is again in case:
    >>
    >> Thunderbird version 2.0.0.6 (20070728)
    >>

    >> I have a contact that attaches a lot of pictures and they used to open
    >> up in view pane but no longer do.
    >>
    >> I've checked everything from here:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_in_..._do_not_appear
    >>
    >> mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image = true .......but,
    >> doesn't the following override this for selected users?
    >>
    >> You can still change that setting by modifying
    >> mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image in the Config editor.
    >> Thunderbird 2.0 blocks all remote images by default. You can enable
    >> remote images for an email address by clicking on "Click here to
    >> always load remote images from ...". That adds an entry to the address
    >> book that has "Allow remote images in HTML mail" checked.
    >>
    >> Allow remote images in HTML mail from this user IS checked but I don't
    >> see an entry for user?!?!?!?

    > Not understanding what you mean by "...I don't see an entry for user?..."
    > The entry for the user is on the address card for that particular user.

    I misunderstood at first and thought that "adds an entry" meant it added
    an entry line "exception" in about:config

    >> I may have just answered myself here: Do they only display if sender
    >> sends in HTML format?

    > If sent in plain text, images would be in attachments

    Right, that's it, I suppose I made this a lot more complicated than need
    be, so if sender just always sends in HTML they will show inline?

    >> alt/view/message body as/original HTML is checked
    >>
    >> alt/view/display attachments inline is checked
    >>
    >> mail.inline_attachments = true (i suppose the above toggles this)
    >>

    >> are there other settings I'm overlooking?
    >>
    >> Thanx!!!
    >>

    > If the message is not personal, then you could send a copy to me to see
    > what issues there could be. If you wished to of course. Send to
    > moz.champion@sympatico.ca

    ah, um, coughnocough ;-)

  6. Re: Show Images

    SG wrote:

    >>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >> If sent in plain text, images would be in attachments

    > Right, that's it, I suppose I made this a lot more complicated than need
    > be, so if sender just always sends in HTML they will show inline?

    Yes

  7. Re: Show Images

    On 2007-08-22 18:38 Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Eustace wrote:
    >> In TBird 1.5 I had created an "Show Images" address book where I put
    >> the addresses of the messages I want to see the images they contain.
    >>
    >> In TBird 2, when the images in a message are blocked I have the option
    >> of clicking so that in the future it will show the images from the
    >> messages from the same address.
    >>
    >> Where does TBird 2 stores the addresses if I do so? And, I suppose, my
    >> "Show Images address book is now redundant, right?
    >>
    >> Eustace
    >>

    > It stores that information right on the Address Card for the address in
    > question. If you bring up an Address Card for an address, you will see
    > the following entry
    > [] Allow remote images in HTML mail
    >
    > If that checkbox is checked then you will be able to see remote images
    > sent by that person/email, if it isn't (and you have remote images
    > blocked) you won't see them.
    >
    > Yes, I would say your 'Show Images' address book is redundant for that
    > purpose any way.

    From what you write, the "Show Images" address book is *not* redundant,
    because I put in there addresses that I would never send a message to
    (bank, telephone company, DELL, CNET, Corel etc.).

    Now, if I click to show the images of a message that is *not* in any of
    my address books, where is TBird going to put it? In the Collected
    Addresses address book?

    Another problem now is: Is there any easy way to add the checkmark to
    all 76 cards of my Show Images address book?

    BTW, looking at the Collected Addresses address book, I see that it
    contains addresses that I sent at some point a message to but I don't
    expect to send a message in the future, so one day I should do a little
    cleanup.

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

  8. Re: Show Images

    Eustace wrote:
    > On 2007-08-22 18:38 Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Eustace wrote:
    >>> In TBird 1.5 I had created an "Show Images" address book where I put
    >>> the addresses of the messages I want to see the images they contain.
    >>>
    >>> In TBird 2, when the images in a message are blocked I have the
    >>> option of clicking so that in the future it will show the images from
    >>> the messages from the same address.
    >>>
    >>> Where does TBird 2 stores the addresses if I do so? And, I suppose,
    >>> my "Show Images address book is now redundant, right?
    >>>
    >>> Eustace
    >>>

    >> It stores that information right on the Address Card for the address
    >> in question. If you bring up an Address Card for an address, you will
    >> see the following entry
    >> [] Allow remote images in HTML mail
    >>
    >> If that checkbox is checked then you will be able to see remote images
    >> sent by that person/email, if it isn't (and you have remote images
    >> blocked) you won't see them.
    >>
    >> Yes, I would say your 'Show Images' address book is redundant for that
    >> purpose any way.

    > From what you write, the "Show Images" address book is *not* redundant,
    > because I put in there addresses that I would never send a message to
    > (bank, telephone company, DELL, CNET, Corel etc.).
    >
    > Now, if I click to show the images of a message that is *not* in any of
    > my address books, where is TBird going to put it? In the Collected
    > Addresses address book?
    >
    > Another problem now is: Is there any easy way to add the checkmark to
    > all 76 cards of my Show Images address book?
    >
    > BTW, looking at the Collected Addresses address book, I see that it
    > contains addresses that I sent at some point a message to but I don't
    > expect to send a message in the future, so one day I should do a little
    > cleanup.
    >
    > Eustace

    I have addresses like my bank/ISP/Cnet in my address book - I put them
    there if for example I get email from them (legitimate email) - and then
    use the address book to assist with filtering/not filtering messages (Junk).

    If you click to allow it, and you have no corresponding address book
    card, then the entry is not made, it is not required.

    Personally, I don't block images in any case, so I really have no use
    for the checkbox in the Address book, but that's simply the way I choose
    to handle it. You can choose to add it to each one as the need arises,
    or enter them in the main address book and do it there. Or click on each
    one independently and mark them.

  9. Re: Show Images

    Eustace wrote:

    > BTW, looking at the Collected Addresses address book, I see that it
    > contains addresses that I sent at some point a message to but I don't
    > expect to send a message in the future, so one day I should do a
    > little cleanup.

    You may disable 'Automatically add outgoing e-mail addresses to my :
    ' option at Tools>Options>Composition>Addressing .

  10. Re: Show Images

    On 2007-08-23 04:10 Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Eustace wrote:

    >>> It stores that information right on the Address Card for the address
    >>> in question. If you bring up an Address Card for an address, you will
    >>> see the following entry
    >>> [] Allow remote images in HTML mail
    >>>
    >>> If that checkbox is checked then you will be able to see remote
    >>> images sent by that person/email, if it isn't (and you have remote
    >>> images blocked) you won't see them.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, I would say your 'Show Images' address book is redundant for
    >>> that purpose any way.

    >> From what you write, the "Show Images" address book is *not*
    >> redundant, because I put in there addresses that I would never send a
    >> message to (bank, telephone company, DELL, CNET, Corel etc.).
    >>
    >> Now, if I click to show the images of a message that is *not* in any
    >> of my address books, where is TBird going to put it? In the Collected
    >> Addresses address book?
    >>
    >> Another problem now is: Is there any easy way to add the checkmark to
    >> all 76 cards of my Show Images address book?
    >>
    >> BTW, looking at the Collected Addresses address book, I see that it
    >> contains addresses that I sent at some point a message to but I don't
    >> expect to send a message in the future, so one day I should do a
    >> little cleanup.
    >>
    >> Eustace
    >>

    > I have addresses like my bank/ISP/Cnet in my address book - I put them
    > there if for example I get email from them (legitimate email) - and then
    > use the address book to assist with filtering/not filtering messages
    > (Junk).

    I have them in a separate address book because I want to keep to a
    minimum the entries in my main address book that I use more often.

    > If you click to allow it, and you have no corresponding address book
    > card, then the entry is not made, it is not required.

    Yes, if I click the button, but then if I receive a message from the
    same address I'll have to click again. What happens if I click where it
    says "Click here to always load remote images from ..."?

    > Personally, I don't block images in any case, so I really have no use
    > for the checkbox in the Address book, but that's simply the way I choose
    > to handle it.

    I prefer to block the images of spam emails.

    > You can choose to add it to each one as the need arises,
    > or enter them in the main address book and do it there. Or click on each
    > one independently and mark them.

    I decided to open each of the cards of the "Show Images" address book
    and check them one by one. It wasn't too difficult after all.

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

  11. Re: Show Images

    Eustace wrote:
    > On 2007-08-22 18:38 Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Eustace wrote:
    >>> In TBird 1.5 I had created an "Show Images" address book where I
    >>> put the addresses of the messages I want to see the images they
    >>> contain.
    >>>
    >>> In TBird 2, when the images in a message are blocked I have the
    >>> option of clicking so that in the future it will show the images
    >>> from the messages from the same address.
    >>>
    >>> Where does TBird 2 stores the addresses if I do so? And, I
    >>> suppose, my "Show Images address book is now redundant, right?
    >>>
    >>> Eustace
    >>>

    >> It stores that information right on the Address Card for the
    >> address in question. If you bring up an Address Card for an
    >> address, you will see the following entry [] Allow remote images in
    >> HTML mail
    >>
    >> If that checkbox is checked then you will be able to see remote
    >> images sent by that person/email, if it isn't (and you have remote
    >> images blocked) you won't see them.
    >>
    >> Yes, I would say your 'Show Images' address book is redundant for
    >> that purpose any way.

    > From what you write, the "Show Images" address book is *not*
    > redundant, because I put in there addresses that I would never send a
    > message to (bank, telephone company, DELL, CNET, Corel etc.).
    >
    > Now, if I click to show the images of a message that is *not* in any
    > of my address books, where is TBird going to put it? In the Collected
    > Addresses address book?

    Situation 1 : Sender id is not present in address book .
    Thunderbird will give two option
    a. 'Load' - it will temporarily allow remote image to load, no effect in
    address book .
    b.'Click here to always load ...' - If you click on it it will save id
    in Personal address book with 'Allow remote images in HTML message '
    option checked.

    Situation 2 : Sender id is present but 'Allow remote image ..' option is
    not checked .
    Thunderbird will give two option
    a. 'Load' - Again it will temporarily allow remote image to load , no
    effect in address book .
    b.'Click here to always load ...' - It will automatically enable 'Allow
    remote images in HTML message ' option in sender card .

  12. Re: Show Images

    Eustace wrote:

    >> Now, if I click to show the images of a message that is *not* in
    >> any of my address books, where is TBird going to put it? In the
    >> Collected Addresses address book?

    ... Also see "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Privacy_basics_(Thunderbird)"

+ Reply to Thread