aaaccckkkk 2.0.0.6 (20070728) stinks... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on aaaccckkkk 2.0.0.6 (20070728) stinks... - Mozilla ; can i undo an update? or do i just have to re-install an older version... it doesn't work with ANY add-ons i like......

  1. aaaccckkkk 2.0.0.6 (20070728) stinks...

    can i undo an update? or do i just have to re-install an older
    version... it doesn't work with ANY add-ons i like...

  2. Re: aaaccckkkk 2.0.0.6 (20070728) stinks...

    sean.bean@wizard.net wrote:
    > can i undo an update? or do i just have to re-install an older
    > version... it doesn't work with ANY add-ons i like...

    Have you already tried to make those add-ons compatible with new
    Thunderbird version using Nightly tester tool ?

    If you haven't then you may try this extension
    "http://www.oxymoronical.com/web/firefox/nightly" before going back to
    previous version .

  3. Re: aaaccckkkk 2.0.0.6 (20070728) stinks...

    On 8/22/2007 4:05 PM, Nir wrote:
    > sean.bean@wizard.net wrote:
    >> can i undo an update? or do i just have to re-install an older
    >> version... it doesn't work with ANY add-ons i like...
    >>

    > Have you already tried to make those add-ons compatible with new
    > Thunderbird version using Nightly tester tool ?
    >
    > If you haven't then you may try this extension
    > "http://www.oxymoronical.com/web/firefox/nightly" before going back to
    > previous version .

    extensions are important so I don't want say that people should avoid
    extensions, but three thoughts to consider here

    1. 2.0 has been out for 4 months now and ~7 months since the beta
    release, plenty if time for any extension developer who cared to to make
    their extension(s) work with TB 2, or allow someone else to do the work
    and post an update.

    2. if an extension isn't compatible by now, what does that say about the
    long term viability of the extension and the potential that the same
    thing will happen for v3, irregardless of whether it gets updated at
    this point for v2?

    3. NTT is an excellent tool, but there are down sides for the average
    user in using it to make extensions work for any thing other than *short
    term* purposes/testing
    a) long term, you don't want to become dependent on an extension that
    wasn't made to work by someone who knows the "guts" of the extension,
    b) you don't know what side effects may occur by using an extension
    that wasn't "upgraded" to run on the version of thunderbird you are
    using. (on the other hand, some extensions are no-brainers)

  4. Re: aaaccckkkk 2.0.0.6 (20070728) stinks...

    Nir wrote in

    > sean.bean@wizard.net wrote:
    >> can i undo an update? or do i just have to re-install an
    >> older version... it doesn't work with ANY add-ons i like...
    >>

    > Have you already tried to make those add-ons compatible with
    > new Thunderbird version using Nightly tester tool ?

    First, you should understand that the Nightly Tester Tool does
    NOT make any extension compatible with TB. Nor does it make TB
    compatible with the extension. In fact, it doesn't make anything
    compatible with anything. It's not a magic wand that instantly
    re-codes extensions or software.

    All extensions have a tag that lets TB know that it's compatible
    with TB versions identifed by the tag. During installation, TB
    reads the tag to see if it's a match; if it is, the extension
    installs. If it isn't, the extension is rejected.

    What the Nightly Tester Tool does is tell TB to ignore all tag
    data and accept them as valid. The idea is that the extension
    developer can run their extension in the new build to see if it
    works; if it does, all the developer has to do is update the tag.
    If it doesn't, the developer knows that he has some work to do.
    The problem can be anything from simply not working to actually
    causing the program to crash.

    The NTT will allow you to use compatible extensions with obsolete
    tags in the newest versions of FF/TB. But it doesn't make the
    extension actually compatible if it's not already compatible; it
    simply shuts off a safety feature of FF/TB.

    If you use a lot of extensions (more than two), you should wait
    at least a month before updating your software version to give
    third party developers time to update their extensions.

    --
    Mozilla & Netscape FAQs: http://www.ufaq.org/
    Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird/Seamonkey solutions: http://ilias.ca/

    I'm not confused, I'm just well mixed. (Robert Frost)

  5. Re: aaaccckkkk 2.0.0.6 (20070728) stinks...

    sean.bean@wizard.net wrote:
    > can i undo an update? or do i just have to re-install an older version... it doesn't work with ANY add-ons i like...

    well i'm happier right now... i hadn't seen an updated "nightly tester
    tools"... mine wasn't installing ... i went back to TB version 2.0.0.5
    (20070716) but i'm most happy to see that jslib has FINALLY been
    updated... and thus i have my tagzilla back...
    now need to go looking for quote colors...

    --
    .... "A vote is like a rifle
    its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

    * TagZilla 0.066-bw2 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

+ Reply to Thread