send link starts IE 55 times - Mozilla

This is a discussion on send link starts IE 55 times - Mozilla ; Send link starts Internet Explorer 55 times (I counted it). TB is set as default mail client. After IE cloggs my screen it also cloggs my memory. Nasty. Any help ? Frank...

  1. send link starts IE 55 times

    Send link starts Internet Explorer 55 times (I counted it).
    TB is set as default mail client.

    After IE cloggs my screen it also cloggs my memory. Nasty.

    Any help ?

    Frank

  2. Re: send link starts IE 55 times

    FTR wrote:
    > Send link starts Internet Explorer 55 times (I counted it). TB is set
    > as default mail client.
    >
    > After IE cloggs my screen it also cloggs my memory. Nasty.
    >
    > Any help ?
    >
    > Frank

    If you set any other browser as default browser , does it show same
    behavior ?

    Also if you click on any link in any program other than TB and when IE
    is default browser , does it
    produce same problem ?

  3. Re: send link starts IE 55 times

    Nir wrote:
    > FTR wrote:
    >> Send link starts Internet Explorer 55 times (I counted it). TB is set
    >> as default mail client.
    >>
    >> After IE cloggs my screen it also cloggs my memory. Nasty.
    >>
    >> Any help ?
    >>
    >> Frank

    > If you set any other browser as default browser , does it show same
    > behavior ?
    >
    > Also if you click on any link in any program other than TB and when IE
    > is default browser , does it
    > produce same problem ?

    Within IE TB was not set as the default mail agent and once I change
    this setting the send mail function in Firefox worked again.

    I am sure that some time ago I made TB the email agent but when I
    installed Outlook as the contact manager for my mobile phone without
    prior notice IE apparently changed the setting.

    Thanks for the hint that made me look into the IE defaults.

    - Frank

  4. Re: send link starts IE 55 times

    FTR wrote:
    > Send link starts Internet Explorer 55 times (I counted it).
    > TB is set as default mail client.
    >
    > After IE cloggs my screen it also cloggs my memory. Nasty.

    Sounds like MS has implemented a new viral marketing scheme.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  5. Re: send link starts IE 55 times

    FTR wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> FTR wrote:
    >>> Send link starts Internet Explorer 55 times (I counted it). TB is set
    >>> as default mail client.
    >>>
    >>> After IE cloggs my screen it also cloggs my memory. Nasty.
    >>>
    >>> Any help ?
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> If you set any other browser as default browser , does it show same
    >> behavior ?
    >>
    >> Also if you click on any link in any program other than TB and when IE
    >> is default browser , does it
    >> produce same problem ?

    > Within IE TB was not set as the default mail agent and once I change
    > this setting the send mail function in Firefox worked again.
    >
    > I am sure that some time ago I made TB the email agent but when I
    > installed Outlook as the contact manager for my mobile phone without
    > prior notice IE apparently changed the setting.

    IE has nothing to do with the changes about making TB or
    Outlook the default. I suspect it was Outlook that look
    over and made itself the default. MS products usually do
    nasty little things like that.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: send link starts IE 55 times

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > FTR wrote:
    >> Send link starts Internet Explorer 55 times (I counted it).
    >> TB is set as default mail client.
    >>
    >> After IE cloggs my screen it also cloggs my memory. Nasty.

    > Sounds like MS has implemented a new viral marketing scheme.

    I'm feeling particularly anti MS today so I'll join in with the slam. A
    couple of clowns, one in China another in Korea, were hammering my
    server (linux/apache) with an attempt for an IIS buffer overrun exploit.
    I figure I had two or three options for revenge but simply blackholed
    them and did a forced rotation of the logs.

    Rinaldi
    --
    "Here at the Phone Company, we serve all kinds of people; from
    Presidents and Kings to the scum of the earth ..."

  7. Re: send link starts IE 55 times

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> FTR wrote:
    >>> Send link starts Internet Explorer 55 times (I counted it).
    >>> TB is set as default mail client.
    >>>
    >>> After IE cloggs my screen it also cloggs my memory. Nasty.

    >> Sounds like MS has implemented a new viral marketing scheme.

    > I'm feeling particularly anti MS today so I'll join in with the slam.

    Hi, Rindaldi.

    It's an open source slam; go for it; and I hope others take off with it
    from where you leave it.

    > A couple of clowns, one in China another in Korea, were hammering my
    > server (linux/apache) with an attempt for an IIS buffer overrun exploit.

    On a Linux box?

    > I figure I had two or three options for revenge but simply blackholed
    > them and did a forced rotation of the logs.

    Elaborate on "forced rotation of the logs", if you will? I don't have a
    lot of Apache experience, although I did used to mirror blinkynet
    locally because I use a lot of php and I wanted to be able to see page
    results accurately before they went live.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  8. Re: send link starts IE 55 times

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Sounds like MS has implemented a new viral marketing scheme.

    >> I'm feeling particularly anti MS today so I'll join in with the
    >> slam.

    > Hi, Rindaldi.
    >
    > It's an open source slam; go for it; and I hope others take off with
    > it from where you leave it.
    >
    >> A couple of clowns, one in China another in Korea, were hammering
    >> my server (linux/apache) with an attempt for an IIS buffer overrun
    >> exploit.

    > On a Linux box?
    >
    >> I figure I had two or three options for revenge but simply
    >> blackholed them and did a forced rotation of the logs.

    > Elaborate on "forced rotation of the logs", if you will? I don't
    > have a lot of Apache experience, although I did used to mirror
    > blinkynet locally because I use a lot of php and I wanted to be able
    > to see page results accurately before they went live.

    Please move this discussion in mozilla.general and continue it there .

  9. Re: send link starts IE 55 times

    f/u set mozilla.general

    ------------
    >> I'm feeling particularly anti MS today so I'll join in with the slam.

    > Hi, Rinaldi.
    >
    > It's an open source slam; go for it; and I hope others take off with it
    > from where you leave it.
    >
    >> A couple of clowns, one in China another in Korea, were hammering my
    >> server (linux/apache) with an attempt for an IIS buffer overrun exploit.

    > On a Linux box?

    Well, they can try, can't they:-) Nobody ever accused crackers of being
    smart. Mostly they're script kiddies but since these two attempts also
    hit other ports I suspect they were looking to create some zombies.

    I suspect a serious cracker would at least run an OS detection scan
    before trying something more invasive.

    I used to get some very interesting traffic on the ssh port before I
    changed it from the default.

    >> I figure I had two or three options for revenge but simply blackholed
    >> them and did a forced rotation of the logs.

    > Elaborate on "forced rotation of the logs", if you will? I don't have a
    > lot of Apache experience, although I did used to mirror blinkynet
    > locally because I use a lot of php and I wanted to be able to see page
    > results accurately before they went live.

    I use php for serving up photo albums only. Css is adequate for the rest.

    If the log files are local you can; logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.d/httpd
    which (here) compresses the existing logs, creates new ones, and
    restarts the server. Takes about .25 seconds.

    If remote, I suspect it would depend on how much access you have to the
    hosting server. Don't know as I have always run my own.

    The exploit looks like this:

    Example:
    GET /NULL.ida?[buffer]=X HTTP/1.1

    Where [buffer] is aprox. 240 bytes followed by cmd.exe. Makes the
    access_log fairly unreadable after several attempts.

    Rinaldi
    --
    Very few profundities can be expressed in less than 80 characters.

  10. Re: send link starts IE 55 times

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm feeling particularly anti MS today so I'll join in with the slam.

    > It's an open source slam; go for it; and I hope others take off with it
    > from where you leave it.

    Well... it's an oldie but goodie -- Microsoft finally gets serious
    about security:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...6304&x=16&y=20

    --
    Tom Liotta

    p.s. That's one way to eliminate those yellow sticky notes under the
    keyboard! Make 'em use entire sticky note pads!

  11. Passwords (WAS: send link starts IE 55 times)

    Tom Liotta wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >>> I'm feeling particularly anti MS today so I'll join in with the slam.

    >> It's an open source slam; go for it; and I hope others take off with it
    >> from where you leave it.

    > Well... it's an oldie but goodie -- Microsoft finally gets serious
    > about security:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...6304&x=16&y=20

    That was funny.

    I wonder if any of the Mozilla products can accept an 18770
    character password?

    If any developer read this, what is the biggest character
    size password a Mozilla product can accept?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  12. Re: send link starts IE 55 times

    Tom Liotta wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >>> I'm feeling particularly anti MS today so I'll join in with the slam.

    >> It's an open source slam; go for it; and I hope others take off with it
    >> from where you leave it.

    > Well... it's an oldie but goodie -- Microsoft finally gets serious
    > about security:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...6304&x=16&y=20

    That's good to know...I do have 2K on a play system here.

    Their own firewall is an interesting case, too:

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/winwall.jpg