Compose: (no subject) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Compose: (no subject) - Mozilla ; Since migrating to 2.0.0.6 I find that my compose window shows "(no subject)" even after I've typed a subject. I got it to look right whilst creating this POST by choosing a suitable subject, but that's not often possible. :-) ...

  1. Compose: (no subject)

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html

  2. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    Swifty wrote:
    > Since migrating to 2.0.0.6 I find that my compose window shows "(no
    > subject)" even after I've typed a subject.
    >
    > I got it to look right whilst creating this POST by choosing a suitable
    > subject, but that's not often possible. :-)

    Yes, the compose window will normally be entitled "Compose: (no subject)"

    Yes, even adding a subject in the subject box will not change this
    unless you close the window and then re-open it.

    Simply type a subject into the Subject box, and send the post/message.
    Everyone (including you) will see the subject then.

  3. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Swifty wrote:
    >> Since migrating to 2.0.0.6 I find that my compose window shows "(no
    >> subject)" even after I've typed a subject.
    >>
    >> I got it to look right whilst creating this POST by choosing a
    >> suitable subject, but that's not often possible. :-)

    > Yes, the compose window will normally be entitled "Compose: (no subject)"

    Correct...
    > Yes, even adding a subject in the subject box will not change this
    > unless you close the window and then re-open it.

    Huh? Gotta love how these supposed Moz *Champions* supposedly know they
    product they are supposedly supporting. I just tried it (did you) and as
    I type something into the subject box the title bar does indeed change -
    on each keystroke even! As such how could the above statement be true?
    > Simply type a subject into the Subject box, and send the post/message.
    > Everyone (including you) will see the subject then.

    I see the subject as I type.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Try not to let your mind wander. it's too small and fragile to be out by

  4. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    On 8/22/2007 8:31 AM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard

    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Swifty wrote:
    >>> Since migrating to 2.0.0.6 I find that my compose window shows "(no
    >>> subject)" even after I've typed a subject.
    >>>
    >>> I got it to look right whilst creating this POST by choosing a
    >>> suitable subject, but that's not often possible. :-)

    >> Yes, the compose window will normally be entitled "Compose: (no subject)"

    > Correct...
    >> Yes, even adding a subject in the subject box will not change this
    >> unless you close the window and then re-open it.

    > Huh? Gotta love how these supposed Moz *Champions* supposedly know they
    > product they are supposedly supporting. I just tried it (did you) and as
    > I type something into the subject box the title bar does indeed change -
    > on each keystroke even! As such how could the above statement be true?

    It's inconsistent. I tried it when I read Dan's response and the first
    time it did not change in the Title Bar. Then I tried it again using
    HTML after reading your response and it worked as you stated. Then I
    tried plain text and it worked again as you stated. I dropped down a
    thread and clicked Write again and when I typed in the Subject, it did
    not change in the title bar. So 2 out of 4, not good odds. I guess
    that makes both of you right.

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    Terry R. wrote:
    > It's inconsistent. I tried it when I read Dan's response and the
    > first time it did not change in the Title Bar. Then I tried it again
    > using HTML after reading your response and it worked as you stated.
    > Then I tried plain text and it worked again as you stated. I dropped
    > down a thread and clicked Write again and when I typed in the Subject,
    > it did not change in the title bar. So 2 out of 4, not good odds. I
    > guess that makes both of you right.

    I've never, I repeat never, had it not change the titlebar text. Then
    again I usually use HTML mode. In any event, a "champion" who's supposed
    to know the product should not be writing as if this is standard behavior...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Is it time for your medication or mine?

  6. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    Terry R. pisze:
    > On 8/22/2007 8:31 AM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> Yes, the compose window will normally be entitled "Compose: (no
    >>> subject)"

    >> Correct...
    >>> Yes, even adding a subject in the subject box will not change this
    >>> unless you close the window and then re-open it.

    >> Huh? Gotta love how these supposed Moz *Champions* supposedly know
    >> they product they are supposedly supporting. I just tried it (did you)
    >> and as I type something into the subject box the title bar does indeed
    >> change - on each keystroke even! As such how could the above statement
    >> be true?

    > It's inconsistent. I tried it when I read Dan's response and the first
    > time it did not change in the Title Bar. Then I tried it again using
    > HTML after reading your response and it worked as you stated. Then I
    > tried plain text and it worked again as you stated. I dropped down a
    > thread and clicked Write again and when I typed in the Subject, it did
    > not change in the title bar. So 2 out of 4, not good odds. I guess
    > that makes both of you right.

    Composer windows are recycled after using. In idea it should speed-up
    start of composer. But if composer window is broken somehow, then next
    time it will preserve 'broken' behavior.
    This recycling also have bad influence to my extension, so i make option
    to disable it. Performance is still good, and all composer windows are
    brand new.

    Error you describe is related to this recycling too. First time opened
    window (eg. just after TB starts) works properly. but if you close this
    first composer window, and try again, TB reuses same window, and now
    title bar does not update...

    I think TB developers should remove this recycling. It have no use.

    Arivald

  7. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    On 8/22/2007 11:36 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> It's inconsistent. I tried it when I read Dan's response and the
    >> first time it did not change in the Title Bar. Then I tried it again
    >> using HTML after reading your response and it worked as you stated.
    >> Then I tried plain text and it worked again as you stated. I dropped
    >> down a thread and clicked Write again and when I typed in the Subject,
    >> it did not change in the title bar. So 2 out of 4, not good odds. I
    >> guess that makes both of you right.

    > I've never, I repeat never, had it not change the titlebar text. Then
    > again I usually use HTML mode. In any event, a "champion" who's supposed
    > to know the product should not be writing as if this is standard behavior...

    Maybe, just maybe, Dan tried the same thing I did and got the same
    results, but didn't try it more than once. In his mind, that was the
    way it worked.

    I reported mine after reading the two conflicting posts. I've never
    really looked at it before now, but I was surprised to see the Title Bar
    not update the two times it happened. Arivald had an explanation for
    the inconsistency, so it must be something others have experienced also.

    --
    Terry R.

  8. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    Arivald wrote:
    > Composer windows are recycled after using. In idea it should speed-up
    > start of composer. But if composer window is broken somehow, then next
    > time it will preserve 'broken' behavior.
    > This recycling also have bad influence to my extension, so i make
    > option to disable it. Performance is still good, and all composer
    > windows are brand new.
    >
    > Error you describe is related to this recycling too. First time opened
    > window (eg. just after TB starts) works properly. but if you close
    > this first composer window, and try again, TB reuses same window, and
    > now title bar does not update...
    >
    > I think TB developers should remove this recycling. It have no use.

    I just don't see it and I've never seen it. Are you sure it isn't
    perhaps some other extension that is causing this behavior?
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    If Fed Ex and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP?

  9. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 8/22/2007 11:36 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the
    > keyboard
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> It's inconsistent. I tried it when I read Dan's response and the
    >>> first time it did not change in the Title Bar. Then I tried it
    >>> again using HTML after reading your response and it worked as you
    >>> stated. Then I tried plain text and it worked again as you stated.
    >>> I dropped down a thread and clicked Write again and when I typed in
    >>> the Subject, it did not change in the title bar. So 2 out of 4, not
    >>> good odds. I guess that makes both of you right.

    >> I've never, I repeat never, had it not change the titlebar text. Then
    >> again I usually use HTML mode. In any event, a "champion" who's
    >> supposed to know the product should not be writing as if this is
    >> standard behavior...

    > Maybe, just maybe, Dan tried the same thing I did and got the same
    > results, but didn't try it more than once. In his mind, that was the
    > way it worked.

    Trouble with that philosophy is that I've tried it literally thousands
    of times and I'm telling you, it just doesn't happen for me. And it
    doesn't appear to happen to thousands of other users as this has just
    recently been mentioned at all. Logic would dictate then that the
    problem is not one that happens to everybody but a select few and
    therefore the real cause is probably related to some misconfiguration or
    perhaps a rogue extension. My beef is that I don't think it's right for
    an expert to even assume it's a bug that happens to everybody and state
    it casually as such. Clearly thousands of people don't have the problem,
    dare I say the majority of people don't.
    > I reported mine after reading the two conflicting posts. I've never
    > really looked at it before now, but I was surprised to see the Title
    > Bar not update the two times it happened. Arivald had an explanation
    > for the inconsistency, so it must be something others have experienced
    > also.

    Hey if you guys want to portray it as this is a bug that consistently
    happens then fine. I said my piece. I'm out of here.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Old is when an "All-Nighter" means not getting up to pee

  10. Did change Re: Compose: (no subject)

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > Trouble with that philosophy is that I've tried it literally thousands
    > of times and I'm telling you, it just doesn't happen for me. And it
    > doesn't appear to happen to thousands of other users as this has just
    > recently been mentioned at all. Logic would dictate then that the
    > problem is not one that happens to everybody but a select few and
    > therefore the real cause is probably related to some misconfiguration or
    > perhaps a rogue extension.

    The trouble with that philosophy is that I have two Compose: windows
    open right now -- when I changed the Subject: above, the title-bar
    changed as I typed; and in the other window, a new Compose:, the
    title-bar still says [(no subject)] even though I have typed one.

    This is a generic install with no extensions ever loaded. The only
    changes I've made have been to drag a couple buttons to/from the
    tool-bar and to configure accounts.

    I've seen both behaviors yesterday and today, though I never noticed
    until I actually started looking for it. I'd say that the majority
    simply might not have noticed it happening, added to the fact that
    it isn't consistent even when it does happen to some installs.

    --
    Tom Liotta

  11. Re: Did change Re: Compose: (no subject)

    On 8/23/2007 1:32 PM On a whim, Tom Liotta pounded out on the keyboard

    > Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >
    >> Trouble with that philosophy is that I've tried it literally thousands
    >> of times and I'm telling you, it just doesn't happen for me. And it
    >> doesn't appear to happen to thousands of other users as this has just
    >> recently been mentioned at all. Logic would dictate then that the
    >> problem is not one that happens to everybody but a select few and
    >> therefore the real cause is probably related to some misconfiguration or
    >> perhaps a rogue extension.

    > The trouble with that philosophy is that I have two Compose: windows
    > open right now -- when I changed the Subject: above, the title-bar
    > changed as I typed; and in the other window, a new Compose:, the
    > title-bar still says [(no subject)] even though I have typed one.
    >
    > This is a generic install with no extensions ever loaded. The only
    > changes I've made have been to drag a couple buttons to/from the
    > tool-bar and to configure accounts.
    >
    > I've seen both behaviors yesterday and today, though I never noticed
    > until I actually started looking for it. I'd say that the majority
    > simply might not have noticed it happening, added to the fact that
    > it isn't consistent even when it does happen to some installs.

    Which is exactly what I said. I doubt most users even notice the Title
    bar changing (if and when it does) when they type in a Subject.

    I doubt the "thousands" of times Andrew is speaking of is hardly valid,
    unless he ALWAYS stares at the Title Bar when typing something into the
    Subject line. Most people look where they are typing.

    --
    Terry R.

  12. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    On 8/23/2007 8:29 AM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard

    > Arivald wrote:
    >> Composer windows are recycled after using. In idea it should speed-up
    >> start of composer. But if composer window is broken somehow, then next
    >> time it will preserve 'broken' behavior.
    >> This recycling also have bad influence to my extension, so i make
    >> option to disable it. Performance is still good, and all composer
    >> windows are brand new.
    >>
    >> Error you describe is related to this recycling too. First time opened
    >> window (eg. just after TB starts) works properly. but if you close
    >> this first composer window, and try again, TB reuses same window, and
    >> now title bar does not update...
    >>
    >> I think TB developers should remove this recycling. It have no use.

    > I just don't see it and I've never seen it. Are you sure it isn't
    > perhaps some other extension that is causing this behavior?

    Until yesterday I never "saw" it either. I was never looking for it.
    Were you until yesterday?

    --
    Terry R.

  13. Re: Did change Re: Compose: (no subject)

    On 8/23/2007 2:50 PM, Terry R. wrote:
    > On 8/23/2007 1:32 PM On a whim, Tom Liotta pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >>
    >>> Trouble with that philosophy is that I've tried it literally
    >>> thousands of times and I'm telling you, it just doesn't happen for
    >>> me. And it doesn't appear to happen to thousands of other users as
    >>> this has just recently been mentioned at all. Logic would dictate
    >>> then that the problem is not one that happens to everybody but a
    >>> select few and therefore the real cause is probably related to some
    >>> misconfiguration or perhaps a rogue extension.

    >> The trouble with that philosophy is that I have two Compose: windows
    >> open right now -- when I changed the Subject: above, the title-bar
    >> changed as I typed; and in the other window, a new Compose:, the
    >> title-bar still says [(no subject)] even though I have typed one.
    >>
    >> This is a generic install with no extensions ever loaded. The only
    >> changes I've made have been to drag a couple buttons to/from the
    >> tool-bar and to configure accounts.
    >>
    >> I've seen both behaviors yesterday and today, though I never noticed
    >> until I actually started looking for it. I'd say that the majority
    >> simply might not have noticed it happening, added to the fact that it
    >> isn't consistent even when it does happen to some installs.
    >>

    > Which is exactly what I said. I doubt most users even notice the Title
    > bar changing (if and when it does) when they type in a Subject.
    >
    > I doubt the "thousands" of times Andrew is speaking of is hardly valid,
    > unless he ALWAYS stares at the Title Bar when typing something into the
    > Subject line. Most people look where they are typing.

    I look at the keyboard!

    --
    Irwin

  14. Re: Did change Re: Compose: (no subject)

    On 8/23/2007 6:11 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 8/23/2007 2:50 PM, Terry R. wrote:

    >>> The trouble with that philosophy is that I have two Compose: windows
    >>> open right now -- when I changed the Subject: above, the title-bar
    >>> changed as I typed; and in the other window, a new Compose:, the
    >>> title-bar still says [(no subject)] even though I have typed one.
    >>>
    >>> This is a generic install with no extensions ever loaded. The only
    >>> changes I've made have been to drag a couple buttons to/from the
    >>> tool-bar and to configure accounts.
    >>>
    >>> I've seen both behaviors yesterday and today, though I never noticed
    >>> until I actually started looking for it. I'd say that the majority
    >>> simply might not have noticed it happening, added to the fact that it
    >>> isn't consistent even when it does happen to some installs.
    >>>

    >> Which is exactly what I said. I doubt most users even notice the Title
    >> bar changing (if and when it does) when they type in a Subject.
    >>
    >> I doubt the "thousands" of times Andrew is speaking of is hardly valid,
    >> unless he ALWAYS stares at the Title Bar when typing something into the
    >> Subject line. Most people look where they are typing.
    >>

    > I look at the keyboard!

    Well okay, I've seen those to. That's why I said "most". ;-)

    --
    Terry R.

  15. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > I just don't see it and I've never seen it. Are you sure it isn't
    > perhaps some other extension that is causing this behavior?

    I can't believe the amount of discussion that has gone into who has seen
    it and who hasn't. How many people have to see it before it is a bug?
    In my products that number is a constant: one.

    Bear in mind that you only seem to get this problem when you start a new
    thread. I do a lot of that. Someone's bound to chip in and say they get
    it on replies as well. Now look what's happened… I've added to the
    discussion!

    Perhaps the best plan is to report a bug, and let people concur.

    Bug: 393530

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
    http://www.ringers.org.uk

  16. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    On 8/22/07 4:29 AM, _Swifty_ spoke thusly:
    > Since migrating to 2.0.0.6 I find that my compose window shows "(no
    > subject)" even after I've typed a subject.
    >
    > I got it to look right whilst creating this POST by choosing a suitable
    > subject, but that's not often possible. :-)

    I think I may have often the circumstances to duplicate the bug:
    It only seems to happen to me, when I click on an email address in the
    header pane, and use "Compose Mail To".
    --
    Chris Ilias

  17. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    On 8/27/2007 3:40 PM On a whim, Chris Ilias pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 8/22/07 4:29 AM, _Swifty_ spoke thusly:
    >> Since migrating to 2.0.0.6 I find that my compose window shows "(no
    >> subject)" even after I've typed a subject.
    >>
    >> I got it to look right whilst creating this POST by choosing a suitable
    >> subject, but that's not often possible. :-)

    > I think I may have often the circumstances to duplicate the bug:
    > It only seems to happen to me, when I click on an email address in the
    > header pane, and use "Compose Mail To".

    Get the same here and can replicate, at least in plain text. Maybe now
    Andrew will "see" it and acknowledge it.

    --
    Terry R.

  18. Re: Compose: (no subject)

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > On 8/22/07 4:29 AM, _Swifty_ spoke thusly:
    >> Since migrating to 2.0.0.6 I find that my compose window shows "(no
    >> subject)" even after I've typed a subject.
    >>
    >> I got it to look right whilst creating this POST by choosing a
    >> suitable subject, but that's not often possible. :-)

    > I think I may have often the circumstances to duplicate the bug:
    > It only seems to happen to me, when I click on an email address in the
    > header pane, and use "Compose Mail To".

    No problem in Linux version ( 2.0.0.6 ) of Thunderbird .

+ Reply to Thread