Blacklisting - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Blacklisting - Mozilla ; Who is still using it? Have you found blacklisting recently being overtly aggressive? Are there *any* good blacklisting servers still out there? Really starting to loathe anything spamcop Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Blacklisting

  1. Blacklisting

    Who is still using it?

    Have you found blacklisting recently being overtly aggressive?

    Are there *any* good blacklisting servers still out there?

    Really starting to loathe anything spamcop

    Ted Novak
    TRA#5512
    IEAS#75

  2. Re: Blacklisting

    On 21.08.2007 10:31, tdstr wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > Who is still using it?
    >
    > Have you found blacklisting recently being overtly aggressive?
    >
    > Are there *any* good blacklisting servers still out there?
    >
    > Really starting to loathe anything spamcop
    >
    > Ted Novak
    > TRA#5512
    > IEAS#75


    After reading this, I downloaded my mail log from last night. Over 8,000
    spams were rejected by various RBL's of which rbl.spamcop.net rejected
    6,288. Looks pretty good to me.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  3. OT Re: Blacklisting

    On 8/21/2007 8:31 AM tdstr inquired:

    > Who is still using it?
    >
    > Have you found blacklisting recently being overtly aggressive?
    >
    > Are there *any* good blacklisting servers still out there?
    >
    > Really starting to loathe anything spamcop
    >
    > Ted Novak
    > TRA#5512
    > IEAS#75


    Why exactly is that?

  4. Re: Blacklisting

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 21.08.2007 10:31, tdstr wrote:
    >
    > --- Original Message ---
    >
    >> Who is still using it?
    >>
    >> Have you found blacklisting recently being overtly aggressive?
    >>
    >> Are there *any* good blacklisting servers still out there?
    >>
    >> Really starting to loathe anything spamcop
    >>
    >>

    > After reading this, I downloaded my mail log from last night. Over 8,000
    > spams were rejected by various RBL's of which rbl.spamcop.net rejected
    > 6,288. Looks pretty good to me.
    >


    I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.

    Had a bad issue with spamcop that got resolved so all is fine now.

  5. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    goodwin wrote:
    > On 8/21/2007 8:31 AM tdstr inquired:
    >
    >> Who is still using it?
    >>
    >> Have you found blacklisting recently being overtly aggressive?
    >>
    >> Are there *any* good blacklisting servers still out there?
    >>
    >> Really starting to loathe anything spamcop
    >>

    >
    > Why exactly is that?



    I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.

    Had a bad issue with spamcop that got resolved so all is fine now.

  6. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    tdstr wrote:

    > I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.


    sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only
    removed from your view. The whole world still sees it.

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
    only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > tdstr wrote:
    >
    >> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.

    >
    > sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed from
    > your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >


    That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.


  8. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    tdstr wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> tdstr wrote:
    >>
    >>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.

    >> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed from
    >> your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>

    >
    > That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >


    thats where you're wrong. You can cancel messages all you
    want, but the message still remains on the server. As I
    said, its only cancelled from your view, but the whole world
    still sees it.

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
    only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    tdstr wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> tdstr wrote:
    >>
    >>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.

    >>
    >> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed
    >> from your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>

    >
    > That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >


    No , Peter is right . This newsgroup server doesn't allow you to cancel
    post from server ( even it's your own post ) without proper authentication .
    When you cancel a message it is just removed from your Thunderbird (
    profile ) , not from server.
    You can still see them if you reload that newsgroup posts or visiting
    corresponding Google group.

  10. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    tdstr wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> tdstr wrote:
    >>
    >>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.

    >> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed from
    >> your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>

    >
    > That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.


    1. Not if the server doesn't honor cancels. Most don't.

    2. Even if nobody's seen it yet, it may have been propagated; so that
    theory (even if incorrect) actually should be: that's only if it has
    propagated nowhere prior to me canceling the message.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  11. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    Nir wrote:
    > tdstr wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed
    >>> from your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>

    >> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>

    >
    > No , Peter is right . This newsgroup server doesn't allow you to cancel
    > post from server . . .


    .. . . and many other servers . . .


    ( even it's your own post ) without proper authentication .
    > When you cancel a message it is just removed from your Thunderbird (
    > profile ) , not from server.
    > You can still see them if you reload that newsgroup posts or visiting
    > corresponding Google group.



    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
    only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  12. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    Nir wrote:
    > No , Peter is right .


    oh goodness gracious. Good Golly Miss Molly! Nir finally
    agrees with me on something. This has to be preserved for
    posterity

    followup to mo.gen

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
    only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  13. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    On 22.08.2007 14:44, tdstr wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> tdstr wrote:
    >>
    >>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.

    >>
    >> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed from
    >> your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>

    >
    > That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >


    Not quite, it's still there for us but not for you. :-)

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  14. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > tdstr wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed from
    >>> your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>

    >>
    >> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>

    >
    > thats where you're wrong. You can cancel messages all you want, but the
    > message still remains on the server. As I said, its only cancelled from
    > your view, but the whole world still sees it.
    >


    Oh sure on usenet.

    Wait, isn't mozilla.support.thunderbird on it's own server seperate from
    usenet?

  15. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 22.08.2007 14:44, tdstr wrote:
    >
    > --- Original Message ---
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed from
    >>> your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>

    >> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>

    >
    > Not quite, it's still there for us but not for you. :-)
    >


    But this is on just one small little itty bitty mozilla server, not
    usenet, right?

  16. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    tdstr wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 22.08.2007 14:44, tdstr wrote:
    >>
    >> --- Original Message ---
    >>
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed
    >>>> from your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>>
    >>> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Not quite, it's still there for us but not for you. :-)
    >>

    >
    > But this is on just one small little itty bitty mozilla server, not
    > usenet, right?


    These two pages should help you
    "http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo"
    "http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html"

  17. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    Nir wrote:
    > tdstr wrote:
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> On 22.08.2007 14:44, tdstr wrote:
    >>>
    >>> --- Original Message ---
    >>>
    >>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>>>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed
    >>>>> from your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>>>
    >>>> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Not quite, it's still there for us but not for you. :-)
    >>>

    >>
    >> But this is on just one small little itty bitty mozilla server, not
    >> usenet, right?

    >
    > These two pages should help you
    > "http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo"
    > "http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html"


    Oh, I thought the mozilla server was a PC running in the corner of the
    mozilla offices or something thereof. I thought the only reason why the
    server even existed was more of an favor to some of the developers.

    Had no idea it propagated to other boxes.

  18. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    tdstr wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> tdstr wrote:
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed
    >>>> from your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>>

    >>
    >> thats where you're wrong. You can cancel messages all you want, but
    >> the message still remains on the server. As I said, its only
    >> cancelled from your view, but the whole world still sees it.
    >>

    >
    > Oh sure on usenet.
    >
    > Wait, isn't mozilla.support.thunderbird on it's own server seperate from
    > usenet?


    What Peter is trying to tell you is
    Cancel DOESN'T work on this news server. When you cancel a message of
    yours on this server, it is removed from YOUR view (on your computer)
    but is NOT removed from the server at all. In short, you don't see it
    any longer, but everyone else does.

    On other servers, Cancel may or may not be allowed. Some servers allow
    it, and some don't - Some servers allow it but don't pass it on to other
    servers in the feed, some allow it and DO pass it on, regardless if the
    other servers in the feed allow it or not.


  19. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    tdstr wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> tdstr wrote:
    >>> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>>> On 22.08.2007 14:44, tdstr wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> --- Original Message ---
    >>>>
    >>>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>>>>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed
    >>>>>> from your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Not quite, it's still there for us but not for you. :-)
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> But this is on just one small little itty bitty mozilla server, not
    >>> usenet, right?

    >>
    >> These two pages should help you
    >> "http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo"
    >> "http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html"

    >
    > Oh, I thought the mozilla server was a PC running in the corner of the
    > mozilla offices or something thereof. I thought the only reason why the
    > server even existed was more of an favor to some of the developers.
    >
    > Had no idea it propagated to other boxes.


    The 'old' mozilla news server was no other than
    snews://secnews.netscape.com
    which sat in the old Netscape Campus in Mountain View California, it was
    (at the time I visited) a Netscape Enterprise Server box amongst the
    racks of servers that Netscape had at the time.

    It may or may not still be there, as of late there has been a
    re-organization of AOL/Netscape and at least the configuration of the
    server was altered somewhat, I am not certain if the physical server
    itself (or it's location) was changed as well.

  20. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    On 22.08.2007 15:32, tdstr wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 22.08.2007 14:44, tdstr wrote:
    >>
    >> --- Original Message ---
    >>
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed from
    >>>> your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>>
    >>> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Not quite, it's still there for us but not for you. :-)
    >>

    >
    > But this is on just one small little itty bitty mozilla server, not
    > usenet, right?


    Doesn't matter where it's posted, if the server has cancelling disabled
    then you can't.


    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast