Blacklisting - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Blacklisting - Mozilla ; On 22.08.2007 15:56, tdstr wrote: --- Original Message --- > Nir wrote: >> tdstr wrote: >>> Jay Garcia wrote: >>>> On 22.08.2007 14:44, tdstr wrote: >>>> >>>> --- Original Message --- >>>> >>>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote: >>>>>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Blacklisting

  1. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    On 22.08.2007 15:56, tdstr wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > Nir wrote:
    >> tdstr wrote:
    >>> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>>> On 22.08.2007 14:44, tdstr wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> --- Original Message ---
    >>>>
    >>>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>>>>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed
    >>>>>> from your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Not quite, it's still there for us but not for you. :-)
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> But this is on just one small little itty bitty mozilla server, not
    >>> usenet, right?

    >>
    >> These two pages should help you
    >> "http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo"
    >> "http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html"

    >
    > Oh, I thought the mozilla server was a PC running in the corner of the
    > mozilla offices or something thereof. I thought the only reason why the
    > server even existed was more of an favor to some of the developers.
    >
    > Had no idea it propagated to other boxes.


    As regards the Netscape secnews server, you're not too far from wrong.
    The first secnews server was on Jules Cisek's (cheese-ek) file cabinet
    behind a potted plant at Netscape headquarters in Mountain View, CA. ;-)

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  2. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    On 22.08.2007 17:33, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > The 'old' mozilla news server was no other than
    > snews://secnews.netscape.com
    > which sat in the old Netscape Campus in Mountain View California, it was
    > (at the time I visited) a Netscape Enterprise Server box amongst the
    > racks of servers that Netscape had at the time.


    Close but not quite. The news.mozilla.org NNTP "server" was "hosted" on
    the same physical box as secnews.

    > It may or may not still be there, as of late there has been a
    > re-organization of AOL/Netscape and at least the configuration of the
    > server was altered somewhat, I am not certain if the physical server
    > itself (or it's location) was changed as well.


    The box is now at an AOL NOC (Network Operations Center for those that
    don't know) which is actually one of the old Netscape buildings. It now
    runs on an up to date Sun box.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  3. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    On 8/22/07 4:56 PM, _tdstr_ spoke thusly:
    > Nir wrote:
    >
    >> These two pages should help you
    >> "http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo"
    >> "http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html"

    >
    > Oh, I thought the mozilla server was a PC running in the corner of the
    > mozilla offices or something thereof. I thought the only reason why the
    > server even existed was more of an favor to some of the developers.
    >
    > Had no idea it propagated to other boxes.


    Only to Google Groups.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    List-owner: support-firefox, support-thunderbird, test-multimedia

  4. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > tdstr wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>>>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed
    >>>>> from your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> thats where you're wrong. You can cancel messages all you want, but
    >>> the message still remains on the server. As I said, its only
    >>> cancelled from your view, but the whole world still sees it.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Oh sure on usenet.
    >>
    >> Wait, isn't mozilla.support.thunderbird on it's own server seperate
    >> from usenet?

    >
    > What Peter is trying to tell you is
    > Cancel DOESN'T work on this news server. When you cancel a message of
    > yours on this server, it is removed from YOUR view (on your computer)
    > but is NOT removed from the server at all. In short, you don't see it
    > any longer, but everyone else does.


    I know that, but for some reason I was under the impression that this
    server did allow that.


  5. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > tdstr wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:
    >>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>>>> On 22.08.2007 14:44, tdstr wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> --- Original Message ---
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>>>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>>>>>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed
    >>>>>>> from your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Not quite, it's still there for us but not for you. :-)
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> But this is on just one small little itty bitty mozilla server, not
    >>>> usenet, right?
    >>>
    >>> These two pages should help you
    >>> "http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo"
    >>> "http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html"

    >>
    >> Oh, I thought the mozilla server was a PC running in the corner of the
    >> mozilla offices or something thereof. I thought the only reason why
    >> the server even existed was more of an favor to some of the developers.
    >>
    >> Had no idea it propagated to other boxes.

    >
    > The 'old' mozilla news server was no other than
    > snews://secnews.netscape.com
    > which sat in the old Netscape Campus in Mountain View California, it was
    > (at the time I visited) a Netscape Enterprise Server box amongst the
    > racks of servers that Netscape had at the time.
    >
    > It may or may not still be there, as of late there has been a
    > re-organization of AOL/Netscape and at least the configuration of the
    > server was altered somewhat, I am not certain if the physical server
    > itself (or it's location) was changed as well.


    I'm amazed the Netscape name is still around, even after the AOL swallow up.

  6. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > On 8/22/07 4:56 PM, _tdstr_ spoke thusly:
    >> Nir wrote:
    >>
    >>> These two pages should help you
    >>> "http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo"
    >>> "http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html"

    >>
    >> Oh, I thought the mozilla server was a PC running in the corner of the
    >> mozilla offices or something thereof. I thought the only reason why
    >> the server even existed was more of an favor to some of the developers.
    >>
    >> Had no idea it propagated to other boxes.

    >
    > Only to Google Groups.


    Well I guess that's better than all of usenet.

  7. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 22.08.2007 15:56, tdstr wrote:


    >> Oh, I thought the mozilla server was a PC running in the corner of the
    >> mozilla offices or something thereof. I thought the only reason why the
    >> server even existed was more of an favor to some of the developers.
    >>
    >> Had no idea it propagated to other boxes.

    >
    > As regards the Netscape secnews server, you're not too far from wrong.
    > The first secnews server was on Jules Cisek's (cheese-ek) file cabinet
    > behind a potted plant at Netscape headquarters in Mountain View, CA. ;-)
    >




    That brings back some memories for me. My first net host was a old
    rs/6000 running aix that was resting underneath my desk circa '93.

    Good times, good times...

  8. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    tdstr wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 22.08.2007 15:56, tdstr wrote:

    >
    >>> Oh, I thought the mozilla server was a PC running in the corner
    >>> of the mozilla offices or something thereof. I thought the only
    >>> reason why the server even existed was more of an favor to some
    >>> of the developers.
    >>>
    >>> Had no idea it propagated to other boxes.

    >>
    >> As regards the Netscape secnews server, you're not too far from
    >> wrong. The first secnews server was on Jules Cisek's (cheese-ek)
    >> file cabinet behind a potted plant at Netscape headquarters in
    >> Mountain View, CA. ;-)
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    > That brings back some memories for me. My first net host was a old
    > rs/6000 running aix that was resting underneath my desk circa '93.
    >
    > Good times, good times...


    Please move this discussion in mozilla.general newsgroup and continue it
    there

    --
    "http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html"

  9. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    tdstr wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> tdstr wrote:
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>>>>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed
    >>>>>> from your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> thats where you're wrong. You can cancel messages all you want, but
    >>>> the message still remains on the server. As I said, its only
    >>>> cancelled from your view, but the whole world still sees it.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Oh sure on usenet.
    >>>
    >>> Wait, isn't mozilla.support.thunderbird on it's own server seperate
    >>> from usenet?

    >>
    >> What Peter is trying to tell you is
    >> Cancel DOESN'T work on this news server. When you cancel a message of
    >> yours on this server, it is removed from YOUR view (on your computer)
    >> but is NOT removed from the server at all. In short, you don't see it
    >> any longer, but everyone else does.

    >
    > I know that, but for some reason I was under the impression that this
    > server did allow that.
    >


    Your impression was incorrect.

  10. Re: OT Re: Blacklisting

    tdstr wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> tdstr wrote:
    >>> Nir wrote:
    >>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>>>>> On 22.08.2007 14:44, tdstr wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> --- Original Message ---
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>>>>>> tdstr wrote:
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> I posted this in the wrong forum so that's why I canceled it.
    >>>>>>>> sorry to say, but if you cancel a message, then its only removed
    >>>>>>>> from your view. The whole world still sees it.
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> That's only if the world sees it prior to me canceling the message.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Not quite, it's still there for us but not for you. :-)
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> But this is on just one small little itty bitty mozilla server, not
    >>>>> usenet, right?
    >>>>
    >>>> These two pages should help you
    >>>> "http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo"
    >>>> "http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html"
    >>>
    >>> Oh, I thought the mozilla server was a PC running in the corner of
    >>> the mozilla offices or something thereof. I thought the only reason
    >>> why the server even existed was more of an favor to some of the
    >>> developers.
    >>>
    >>> Had no idea it propagated to other boxes.

    >>
    >> The 'old' mozilla news server was no other than
    >> snews://secnews.netscape.com
    >> which sat in the old Netscape Campus in Mountain View California, it
    >> was (at the time I visited) a Netscape Enterprise Server box amongst
    >> the racks of servers that Netscape had at the time.
    >>
    >> It may or may not still be there, as of late there has been a
    >> re-organization of AOL/Netscape and at least the configuration of the
    >> server was altered somewhat, I am not certain if the physical server
    >> itself (or it's location) was changed as well.

    >
    > I'm amazed the Netscape name is still around, even after the AOL swallow
    > up.



    AOL bought out Compuserve in 1998, but that name still lives on. AOL
    paid $3 billion for Netscape, so they will attempt to use the 'name' as
    long as they see value in it. AOL brought out a 'Netscape' ISP a while
    back, and keeps the 'Netscape' web portal open. As well, there was
    Netscape 8 and now a beta version of Netscape 9 (based on Firefox 2.0.0.6)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2