Closed Email Still Downloading - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Closed Email Still Downloading - Mozilla ; Can you help? I have just downloaded the newest version of Thunderbird (give me TB over MS Outlook any day!!) but now I have a very annoying problem. I close TB and yet it still checks and downloads emails every ...

  1. Closed Email Still Downloading

    Can you help?

    I have just downloaded the newest version of Thunderbird (give me TB
    over MS Outlook any day!!) but now I have a very annoying problem. I
    close TB and yet it still checks and downloads emails every five
    minutes, which slows everything down, when I am working. Any way of
    fixing this please?

    Alison

  2. Re: Closed Email Still Downloading

    Alison Edwards wrote:
    > Can you help?
    >
    > I have just downloaded the newest version of Thunderbird (give me TB
    > over MS Outlook any day!!) but now I have a very annoying problem. I
    > close TB and yet it still checks and downloads emails every five
    > minutes, which slows everything down, when I am working. Any way of
    > fixing this please?
    >
    > Alison

    It sounds as though Tbird is not really closing when you are exiting the
    program. If you are using Windows, bring up the task manager
    (CTRL+ALT+DELETE) to see if thunderbird.exe is still running in the
    "processes" tab when you close Tbird. You can terminate it there if it
    shows. When you are closing Thunderbird, try using File-Exit
    (CTRL+Q)rather than just clicking on the X in the right corner. You
    might want to go into your e-mail account(s) settings and under Server
    Settings increase the frequency of how often Tbird checks for new
    messages as well.

    Hope this helps.

    Ann
    --