want to View -> Messages -> All - Mozilla

This is a discussion on want to View -> Messages -> All - Mozilla ; V2.0.0.6 recently insinuated itself on my PC. Well, okay, I see it's got some security fixes, so that's nice. However, I distinctly recall that the version I was using previously had an item in the "View" menu something like "Messages", ...

  1. want to View -> Messages -> All

    V2.0.0.6 recently insinuated itself on my PC.
    Well, okay, I see it's got some security fixes, so that's nice.
    However, I distinctly recall that the version I was using previously
    had an item in the "View" menu something like "Messages",
    of which the possible values were All, Unread, etc.
    Ordinarily, "Unread" is a good value.
    However, if my system shut down while I was reading a newsgroup
    (as it just did), then a message that I had read only briefly is now gone.
    Previously, I could pull down the View menu, click Messasges -> All,
    and even those newsgroup messages I had already read would be listed,
    and I could re-read them (until they aged out of the queue, or something).
    Where'd this go?

  2. Re: want to View -> Messages -> All

    nearlydeparted wrote:
    > V2.0.0.6 recently insinuated itself on my PC.
    > Well, okay, I see it's got some security fixes, so that's nice.
    > However, I distinctly recall that the version I was using previously
    > had an item in the "View" menu something like "Messages",
    > of which the possible values were All, Unread, etc.
    > Ordinarily, "Unread" is a good value.
    > However, if my system shut down while I was reading a newsgroup
    > (as it just did), then a message that I had read only briefly is now gone.
    > Previously, I could pull down the View menu, click Messasges -> All,
    > and even those newsgroup messages I had already read would be listed,
    > and I could re-read them (until they aged out of the queue, or something).
    > Where'd this go?

    click on View, Toolbars, Customize, and select the View icon
    and drag it to where you want it. Either on the menu bar or
    the Mail Toolbar

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: want to View -> Messages -> All

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > nearlydeparted wrote:
    >> V2.0.0.6 recently insinuated itself on my PC.
    >> Well, okay, I see it's got some security fixes, so that's nice.
    >> However, I distinctly recall that the version I was using previously
    >> had an item in the "View" menu something like "Messages",
    >> of which the possible values were All, Unread, etc.
    >> Ordinarily, "Unread" is a good value.
    >> However, if my system shut down while I was reading a newsgroup
    >> (as it just did), then a message that I had read only briefly is now
    >> gone.
    >> Previously, I could pull down the View menu, click Messasges -> All,
    >> and even those newsgroup messages I had already read would be listed,
    >> and I could re-read them (until they aged out of the queue, or
    >> something).
    >> Where'd this go?

    > click on View, Toolbars, Customize, and select the View icon and drag it
    > to where you want it. Either on the menu bar or the Mail Toolbar

    Right, I forgot that. You may even put it on the mail toolbar and _hide_ the
    toolbar (by unselecting it in View => Layout) but if that widget is put into
    storage the corresponding menu disappears.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    You're never too old to become younger.
    -- Mae West

  4. Re: want to View -> Messages -> All

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> nearlydeparted wrote:
    >>> V2.0.0.6 recently insinuated itself on my PC.
    >>> Well, okay, I see it's got some security fixes, so that's nice.
    >>> However, I distinctly recall that the version I was using previously
    >>> had an item in the "View" menu something like "Messages",
    >>> of which the possible values were All, Unread, etc.
    >>> Ordinarily, "Unread" is a good value.
    >>> However, if my system shut down while I was reading a newsgroup
    >>> (as it just did), then a message that I had read only briefly is now
    >>> gone.
    >>> Previously, I could pull down the View menu, click Messasges -> All,
    >>> and even those newsgroup messages I had already read would be listed,
    >>> and I could re-read them (until they aged out of the queue, or
    >>> something).
    >>> Where'd this go?

    >> click on View, Toolbars, Customize, and select the View icon and drag it
    >> to where you want it. Either on the menu bar or the Mail Toolbar
    >>

    > Right, I forgot that.

    ahhh, how quickly we forget something when we made the
    changes ages-ago ;-)

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: want to View -> Messages -> All

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> click on View, Toolbars, Customize, and select the View icon and drag
    >>> it to where you want it. Either on the menu bar or the Mail Toolbar
    >>>

    >> Right, I forgot that.

    > ahhh, how quickly we forget something when we made the changes ages-ago ;-)

    In my case, in the Main window the buttons which I use day-in day-out (e.g.,
    Write New Mail, or the Search widget) have been moved to the Menu bar, and the
    Mail Toolbar is hidden (with the View widget among others) so it's easy to
    forget that that menu is there because some widget is on a hidden toolbar and
    not in the "button reserve". ;-)

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    ARTHUR: CHARGE!
    [The mighty ARMY charges. Thundering noise of feet. Clatter of coconuts.

  6. Re: want to View -> Messages -> All

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > nearlydeparted wrote:
    >> V2.0.0.6 recently insinuated itself on my PC.
    >> Well, okay, I see it's got some security fixes, so that's nice.
    >> However, I distinctly recall that the version I was using previously
    >> had an item in the "View" menu something like "Messages",
    >> of which the possible values were All, Unread, etc.
    >> Ordinarily, "Unread" is a good value.
    >> However, if my system shut down while I was reading a newsgroup
    >> (as it just did), then a message that I had read only briefly is now
    >> gone.
    >> Previously, I could pull down the View menu, click Messasges -> All,
    >> and even those newsgroup messages I had already read would be listed,
    >> and I could re-read them (until they aged out of the queue, or
    >> something).
    >> Where'd this go?

    > AFAICT, it's still there:
    >
    > View => Messages => [x] All
    > [ ] Unread

    My "View" menu simply does not have a "Messages" item at all anymore.

    > (. . .)
    >
    > If that menu has gone away, maybe some recently installed extension has
    > censored it?

    Anything is possible. However, I only just got 2.0.0.6 the other day,
    and haven't gotten around to [re-]installing any extensions.

  7. Re: want to View -> Messages -> All

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > click on View, Toolbars, Customize, and select the View icon and drag it
    > to where you want it. Either on the menu bar or the Mail Toolbar

    YIKES!
    I just did that, and it there is now a thing that says
    on my menu bar, over on the right, but ...
    (a) the field (?) that displays the newsgroup or other folder is now *gone*,
    and (b) this new thing takes up a lot of real estate.
    The latter is kind of annoying, but the former isa serious problem!

    And why was it removed from the "View" menu in the first place?

  8. Re: want to View -> Messages -> All

    On 2007-08-21 11:50 nearlydeparted wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> nearlydeparted wrote:
    >>> V2.0.0.6 recently insinuated itself on my PC.
    >>> Well, okay, I see it's got some security fixes, so that's nice.
    >>> However, I distinctly recall that the version I was using previously
    >>> had an item in the "View" menu something like "Messages",
    >>> of which the possible values were All, Unread, etc.
    >>> Ordinarily, "Unread" is a good value.
    >>> However, if my system shut down while I was reading a newsgroup
    >>> (as it just did), then a message that I had read only briefly is now
    >>> gone.
    >>> Previously, I could pull down the View menu, click Messasges -> All,
    >>> and even those newsgroup messages I had already read would be listed,
    >>> and I could re-read them (until they aged out of the queue, or
    >>> something).
    >>> Where'd this go?

    >> AFAICT, it's still there:
    >>
    >> View => Messages => [x] All
    >> [ ] Unread

    > My "View" menu simply does not have a "Messages" item at all anymore.

    If I understand correctly what you two have been talking about, the View
    pull down menu of the main TBird window has a _"Threads"_ (not
    "Messages") item with options All, Unread etc.

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

  9. Re: want to View -> Messages -> All

    On 2007-08-21 11:56 nearlydeparted wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>
    >> click on View, Toolbars, Customize, and select the View icon and drag
    >> it to where you want it. Either on the menu bar or the Mail Toolbar

    > YIKES!
    > I just did that, and it there is now a thing that says
    > on my menu bar, over on the right, but ...
    > (a) the field (?) that displays the newsgroup or other folder is now
    > *gone*,
    > and (b) this new thing takes up a lot of real estate.
    > The latter is kind of annoying, but the former isa serious problem!
    >
    > And why was it removed from the "View" menu in the first place?

    I have chosen to have icons on the toolbar, not the text, but when I
    change Show: Text from Show: Icon, I see "All" not "All_____________"...

    Anyway, have you tried Show: Icons In the "Customize..." dialog?

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

  10. Re: want to View -> Messages -> All

    Eustace wrote:

    > If I understand correctly what you two have been talking about, the View
    > pull down menu of the main TBird window has a _"Threads"_ (not
    > "Messages") item with options All, Unread etc.
    >
    > Eustace

    Right. That's the way it has been for me since I upgraded to 2.0.0.6.
    The "Messages" menu item (between "Sort by" and "Threads") has disappeared.

  11. Re: want to View -> Messages -> All

    nearlydeparted wrote:
    > Eustace wrote:
    >>
    >> If I understand correctly what you two have been talking about, the
    >> View pull down menu of the main TBird window has a _"Threads"_ (not
    >> "Messages") item with options All, Unread etc.

    > Right. That's the way it has been for me since I upgraded to 2.0.0.6.
    > The "Messages" menu item (between "Sort by" and "Threads") has disappeared.

    Whiskey Tango ?

    The "Messages" menu item of the "View" menu is ***back*** !!!!!
    I haven't touched anything --
    haven't rebooted, logged out and in, haven't even stopped and restarted TB!
    Well, except for customizing the toolbar so that the "View" widget (?)
    now occupies space on the main toolbar.
    I discover that if I customize the toolbar and *remove* the "View" widget
    from the main toolbar,
    then the "Messages" item disappears from the "View" menu as well.
    Great! I can either have it both places, or neither.

  12. Re: want to View -> Messages -> All

    Eustace wrote:
    > On 2007-08-21 11:56 nearlydeparted wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> click on View, Toolbars, Customize, and select the View icon and drag
    >>> it to where you want it. Either on the menu bar or the Mail Toolbar

    >> YIKES!
    >> I just did that, and it there is now a thing that says
    >> on my menu bar, over on the right, but ...
    >> (a) the field (?) that displays the newsgroup or other folder is now
    >> *gone*,
    >> and (b) this new thing takes up a lot of real estate.
    >> The latter is kind of annoying, but the former isa serious problem!
    >>
    >> And why was it removed from the "View" menu in the first place?

    > I have chosen to have icons on the toolbar, not the text, but when I
    > change Show: Text from Show: Icon, I see "All" not "All_____________"...
    >
    > Anyway, have you tried Show: Icons In the "Customize..." dialog?
    >
    > Eustace

    The widget we're talking about is a roll-down list. When it is on the menubar
    or on the toolbar (even if the toolbar is hidden), there is a corresponding
    "View => Messages" menu. When you drag the rolldown back away into storage,
    that menu disappears too.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Oregon, n.:
    Eighty billion gallons of water with no place to go on Saturday

+ Reply to Thread