Calendar is lost in migration to - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Calendar is lost in migration to - Mozilla ; Thunderbird just updated automatically to 2.0.0.6. and lost my calendar ! The installation program said that the calendar was not compatible and the search for a new version was unsuccesful. I'v lost all my infos, past present an future, all ...

  1. Calendar is lost in migration to

    Thunderbird just updated automatically to 2.0.0.6. and lost my
    calendar ! The installation program said that the calendar was not
    compatible and the search for a new version was unsuccesful. I'v lost
    all my infos, past present an future, all my meeting schedules etc...
    Where is my stuff ? Just gone ? Great....
    Maybe I should be using Outlook after all.

  2. Re: Calendar is lost in migration to

    Thunderbird Leader cedric.govaerts@gmail.com teletyped, On 8/20/2007
    11:38 AM:
    > Thunderbird just updated automatically to 2.0.0.6. and lost my
    > calendar ! The installation program said that the calendar was not
    > compatible and the search for a new version was unsuccesful. I'v lost
    > all my infos, past present an future, all my meeting schedules etc...
    > Where is my stuff ? Just gone ? Great....
    > Maybe I should be using Outlook after all.

    What calendar extension are you talking about ? Not enough information
    for any one to suggest a course of action.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  3. Re: Calendar is lost in migration to

    user@domain.invalid wrote:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Thunderbird Leader cedric.govaerts@gmail.com teletyped, On 8/20/2007
    >> 11:38 AM:
    >>> Thunderbird just updated automatically to 2.0.0.6. and lost my
    >>> calendar ! The installation program said that the calendar was not
    >>> compatible and the search for a new version was unsuccesful. I'v lost
    >>> all my infos, past present an future, all my meeting schedules etc...
    >>> Where is my stuff ? Just gone ? Great....
    >>> Maybe I should be using Outlook after all.

    >> What calendar extension are you talking about ? Not enough information
    >> for any one to suggest a course of action.
    >>

    > I am having the exact same problem as Ron K. I have now wasted hours
    > on trying to find my calender. I can't even believe you could call this
    > an update when you allow someone to lose all of this valuable info.
    > How do I know what calender extension it is you are talking about?
    > I can't even find my calender at all to see what extension it is? I am
    > not sure I even understand the question. I should be able to go to tools
    > & bring up my calender. Can I just go back to my old version & get this
    > very important info back? Please help me get my calender back. I need it
    > desperately.
    > Rod Masters

    The main Thunderbird program has never come with calendar functionality.
    It has to be added by an extension/ add-on.
    Older versions of Tbird could use the calendar extension which I believe
    saved its data in .ics format and newer versions use the Lightning
    add-on which saves in .sdb format. You can however import .ics
    calendars into Lightning so first search your Tbirdprofile for an .ics
    file, then install Lightning and import that .ics file.

    Ideally users should always read the release notes before installing
    upgrades so they don't get nasty surprises and if this warning about
    losing calendar functionality from the old calendar extension wasn't at
    the top of the list, it should have been!

    You can ask in mozilla.support.help as well for more assistance, if needed.

    Ann

    --
    Remove the FISH from the net to reply.

  4. Re: Calendar is lost in migration to

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader cedric.govaerts@gmail.com teletyped, On 8/20/2007
    > 11:38 AM:
    >> Thunderbird just updated automatically to 2.0.0.6. and lost my
    >> calendar ! The installation program said that the calendar was not
    >> compatible and the search for a new version was unsuccesful. I'v lost
    >> all my infos, past present an future, all my meeting schedules etc...
    >> Where is my stuff ? Just gone ? Great....
    >> Maybe I should be using Outlook after all.

    > What calendar extension are you talking about ? Not enough information
    > for any one to suggest a course of action.

    I am having the exact same problem as Ron K. I have now wasted hours
    on trying to find my calender. I can't even believe you could call this
    an update when you allow someone to lose all of this valuable info.
    How do I know what calender extension it is you are talking
    about? I can't even find my calender at all to see what extension it is?
    I am not sure I even understand the question. I should be able to go to
    tools & bring up my calender. Can I just go back to my old version & get
    this very important info back? Please help me get my calender back. I
    need it desperately.
    Rod Masters

  5. Re: Calendar is lost in migration to

    Thunderbird Leader user@domain.invalid teletyped, On 8/20/2007 3:34 PM:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Thunderbird Leader cedric.govaerts@gmail.com teletyped, On 8/20/2007
    >> 11:38 AM:
    >>> Thunderbird just updated automatically to 2.0.0.6. and lost my
    >>> calendar ! The installation program said that the calendar was not
    >>> compatible and the search for a new version was unsuccesful. I'v lost
    >>> all my infos, past present an future, all my meeting schedules etc...
    >>> Where is my stuff ? Just gone ? Great....
    >>> Maybe I should be using Outlook after all.

    >> What calendar extension are you talking about ? Not enough
    >> information for any one to suggest a course of action.
    >>

    > I am having the exact same problem as Ron K. I have now wasted
    > hours on trying to find my calender. I can't even believe you could
    > call this an update when you allow someone to lose all of this
    > valuable info.
    > How do I know what calender extension it is you are talking
    > about? I can't even find my calender at all to see what extension it
    > is? I am not sure I even understand the question. I should be able to
    > go to tools & bring up my calender. Can I just go back to my old
    > version & get this very important info back? Please help me get my
    > calender back. I need it desperately.
    > Rod Masters

    I am a helper here, not the person with the problem. I can not point
    anyone to a solution if essential information was not provided.
    Extensions will be listed in the Add-ons found on the Tools Menu. And if
    your on Windows turn off hiding of extensions in Windows Explorer. Makes
    it easier to search for files in hidden folders.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  6. Re: Calendar is lost in migration to

    > I am a helper here, not the person with the problem. I can not point
    > anyone to a solution if essential information was not provided.
    > Extensions will be listed in the Add-ons found on the Tools Menu. And if
    > your on Windows turn off hiding of extensions in Windows Explorer. Makes
    > it easier to search for files in hidden folders.

    Hi Ron, thanks for your help. I've posted the original message here,
    I'm just back now.
    Anyway, the add-on was "Mozilla Calendar 0.2.0.20060116", a calendar
    based on the ical standard.
    I did find a "CalendarDataFile.ics" in my Thunderbird profile.
    Would you recommend installing Lightning and importing it ?
    Thanks again.

    BTW, who reads the release notes (seriously...). I mean, the programs
    installs everything by itsalef, it is almost as if (like what MS does)
    you barely have to click "OK". So yes you do (better, safer
    version..), it;s the first time I totally loose something.

    Cheers

    Cedric

  7. Re: Calendar is lost in migration to

    Thunderbird Leader cedric.govaerts@gmail.com teletyped, On 8/28/2007
    10:22 AM:
    >> I am a helper here, not the person with the problem. I can not point
    >> anyone to a solution if essential information was not provided.
    >> Extensions will be listed in the Add-ons found on the Tools Menu. And if
    >> your on Windows turn off hiding of extensions in Windows Explorer. Makes
    >> it easier to search for files in hidden folders.
    >>

    > Hi Ron, thanks for your help. I've posted the original message here,
    > I'm just back now.
    > Anyway, the add-on was "Mozilla Calendar 0.2.0.20060116", a calendar
    > based on the ical standard.
    > I did find a "CalendarDataFile.ics" in my Thunderbird profile.
    > Would you recommend installing Lightning and importing it ?
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > BTW, who reads the release notes (seriously...). I mean, the programs
    > installs everything by itsalef, it is almost as if (like what MS does)
    > you barely have to click "OK". So yes you do (better, safer
    > version..), it;s the first time I totally loose something.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Cedric

    That is an old calendar version, Sunbird and Lightning will be
    releasing 0.6 in September. There is a Cal version change, but I have
    heard that they can import the older Cal version files. The advantage
    of Lightning is it's integration with Tbird and is migrating toward
    using the new Tab interface that will be introduced with Tb 3.0. So I
    suggest waiting the few remaining days and get the updated version.
    Subscribe to mozilla.support.calendar and you can track the status of
    the release.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  8. Re: Calendar is lost in migration to

    On Aug 28, 7:52 pm, "Ron K." wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader cedric.govae...@gmail.com teletyped, On 8/28/2007
    > 10:22 AM:
    >
    > >> I am a helper here, not the person with the problem. I can not point
    > >> anyone to a solution if essential information was not provided.
    > >> Extensions will be listed in the Add-ons found on the Tools Menu. And if
    > >> your on Windows turn off hiding of extensions in Windows Explorer. Makes
    > >> it easier to search for files in hidden folders.

    > > Hi Ron, thanks for your help. I've posted the original message here,
    > > I'm just back now.
    > > Anyway, the add-on was "MozillaCalendar0.2.0.20060116", acalendar
    > > based on the ical standard.
    > > I did find a "CalendarDataFile.ics" in my Thunderbird profile.
    > > Would you recommend installing Lightning and importing it ?
    > > Thanks again.

    > > BTW, who reads the release notes (seriously...). I mean, the programs
    > > installs everything by itsalef, it is almost as if (like what MS does)
    > > you barely have to click "OK". So yes you do (better, safer
    > > version..), it;s the first time I totally loose something.

    > > Cheers

    > > Cedric

    > That is an oldcalendarversion, Sunbird and Lightning will be
    > releasing 0.6 in September. There is a Cal version change, but I have
    > heard that they can import the older Cal version files. The advantage
    > of Lightning is it's integration with Tbird and is migrating toward
    > using the new Tab interface that will be introduced with Tb 3.0. So I
    > suggest waiting the few remaining days and get the updated version.
    > Subscribe to mozilla.support.calendarand you can track the status of
    > the release.

    Thanks Ron. In the meanwhile I'm trying to work with (no, not
    Outlook) Google Calendar and see how that works out. Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread