I'm lost - Mozilla

This is a discussion on I'm lost - Mozilla ; Please help me. I have used Mozilla Thunderbird for the past six months, and have been extremely happy with it. Yesterday I downloaded and installed your newer version 2.0.0.6. After this was done I have lost all of my saved ...

  1. I'm lost

    Please help me. I have used Mozilla Thunderbird for the past six months, and
    have been extremely happy with it.
    Yesterday I downloaded and installed your newer version 2.0.0.6. After this
    was done I have lost all of my saved drafts,photos,addresses, and letters.
    Please help me with this problem for I am missing some very personal items.
    I can't find anything from my old inbox , sent,saved,junk,or trash. If
    possible I would return to earlier version to regain my lost items.
    Thank you,
    Allan Wagner

  2. Re: I'm lost

    als_vill@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > Please help me. I have used Mozilla Thunderbird for the past six months, and
    > have been extremely happy with it.
    > Yesterday I downloaded and installed your newer version 2.0.0.6. After this
    > was done I have lost all of my saved drafts,photos,addresses, and letters.
    > Please help me with this problem for I am missing some very personal items.
    > I can't find anything from my old inbox , sent,saved,junk,or trash. If
    > possible I would return to earlier version to regain my lost items.
    > Thank you,
    > Allan Wagner

    Relax: you probably haven't lost anything. More likely, your original
    installation didn't create its data folders in the default location (did
    you specify that they go to a location of your choice?). If you search
    your hard disk for .sbd files and folders, you'll probably find your
    data (and the location of your upgrade's files). Then, it's just a
    matter of copying over those new files. Unfortunately, I'm leaving on a
    trip in a few minutes, and can't provide any more support than that.
    Good luck!

  3. Re: I'm lost

    Thunderbird Leader Storm teletyped, On 8/20/2007 11:10 AM:
    > als_vill@bellsouth.net wrote:
    >> Please help me. I have used Mozilla Thunderbird for the past six
    >> months, and have been extremely happy with it.
    >> Yesterday I downloaded and installed your newer version 2.0.0.6.
    >> After this was done I have lost all of my saved
    >> drafts,photos,addresses, and letters. Please help me with this
    >> problem for I am missing some very personal items. I can't find
    >> anything from my old inbox , sent,saved,junk,or trash. If possible I
    >> would return to earlier version to regain my lost items.
    >> Thank you,
    >> Allan Wagner
    >>

    > Relax: you probably haven't lost anything. More likely, your original
    > installation didn't create its data folders in the default location
    > (did you specify that they go to a location of your choice?). If you
    > search your hard disk for .sbd files and folders, you'll probably find
    > your data (and the location of your upgrade's files). Then, it's just
    > a matter of copying over those new files. Unfortunately, I'm leaving
    > on a trip in a few minutes, and can't provide any more support than
    > that. Good luck!

    You will have to set Windows to not hide file extensions or your file
    search will not be useful.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  4. Re: I'm lost

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader Storm teletyped, On 8/20/2007 11:10 AM:
    >> als_vill@bellsouth.net wrote:
    >>> Please help me. I have used Mozilla Thunderbird for the past six
    >>> months, and have been extremely happy with it.
    >>> Yesterday I downloaded and installed your newer version 2.0.0.6.
    >>> After this was done I have lost all of my saved
    >>> drafts,photos,addresses, and letters. Please help me with this
    >>> problem for I am missing some very personal items. I can't find
    >>> anything from my old inbox , sent,saved,junk,or trash. If possible I
    >>> would return to earlier version to regain my lost items.
    >>> Thank you,
    >>> Allan Wagner
    >>>

    >> Relax: you probably haven't lost anything. More likely, your original
    >> installation didn't create its data folders in the default location
    >> (did you specify that they go to a location of your choice?). If you
    >> search your hard disk for .sbd files and folders, you'll probably find
    >> your data (and the location of your upgrade's files). Then, it's just
    >> a matter of copying over those new files. Unfortunately, I'm leaving
    >> on a trip in a few minutes, and can't provide any more support than
    >> that. Good luck!

    > You will have to set Windows to not hide file extensions or your file
    > search will not be useful.

    Good point, Ron! I keep forgetting to warn people about that. That's a
    very frustrating feature of Windows, and I'm not sure whatever safety it
    might provide is worth the aggravation it causes. Allen: he's referring
    to the "show hidden files" option in Windows Explorer (not IE!).

  5. Re: I'm lost

    Thunderbird Leader Storm teletyped, On 8/20/2007 4:22 PM:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Thunderbird Leader Storm teletyped, On 8/20/2007 11:10 AM:
    >>>>
    >>> Relax: you probably haven't lost anything. More likely, your
    >>> original installation didn't create its data folders in the default
    >>> location (did you specify that they go to a location of your
    >>> choice?). If you search your hard disk for .sbd files and folders,
    >>> you'll probably find your data (and the location of your upgrade's
    >>> files). Then, it's just a matter of copying over those new files.
    >>> Unfortunately, I'm leaving on a trip in a few minutes, and can't
    >>> provide any more support than that. Good luck!

    >> You will have to set Windows to not hide file extensions or your file
    >> search will not be useful.
    >>

    > Good point, Ron! I keep forgetting to warn people about that. That's
    > a very frustrating feature of Windows, and I'm not sure whatever
    > safety it might provide is worth the aggravation it causes. Allen:
    > he's referring to the "show hidden files" option in Windows Explorer
    > (not IE!).

    Actually unhiddeing extensions is a security enhancement. Consider the
    case of 'some file name.txt.exe' where a hacker is using multiple
    extensions. It is the last extension that is what Windows uses for the
    associated action.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  6. Re: I'm lost

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader Storm teletyped, On 8/20/2007 4:22 PM:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> Thunderbird Leader Storm teletyped, On 8/20/2007 11:10 AM:

    >>> You will have to set Windows to not hide file extensions or your file
    >>> search will not be useful.
    >>>

    >> Good point, Ron! I keep forgetting to warn people about that. That's
    >> a very frustrating feature of Windows, and I'm not sure whatever
    >> safety it might provide is worth the aggravation it causes. Allen:
    >> he's referring to the "show hidden files" option in Windows Explorer
    >> (not IE!).

    > Actually unhiddeing extensions is a security enhancement. Consider the
    > case of 'some file name.txt.exe' where a hacker is using multiple
    > extensions. It is the last extension that is what Windows uses for the
    > associated action.

    Yes! Not showing registered extensions is the stupidest thing MS EVER did!
    And considering past errors, that is saying something!

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread