Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista? - Mozilla ; I have set up a dual-boot system (WinXP Home and Vista Ultimate). Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 was originally set up on the WinXP partition and works great. I have just installed TBird 2.0.0.6 on the Vista partition and copied my Mail and ...

  1. Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista?

    I have set up a dual-boot system (WinXP Home and Vista Ultimate).

    Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 was originally set up on the WinXP partition and
    works great.

    I have just installed TBird 2.0.0.6 on the Vista partition and copied my
    Mail and News folders to it from the XP partition. It seems to work fine
    using the copied material, but I haven't yet thoroughly tested it on Vista.

    To /reliably/ use TBird when I switch partitions, I want to be able to
    synchronize the Mail folder, and possibly the News folder. I am not too
    concerned about other personal settings (e.g., extensions) since it is
    easy to duplicate them manually. I use SyncBackSE for synchronizing
    other things, but I am willing to use another method if required.

    However, before I decided to go ahead and sync my Profiles between WinXP
    and Vista, I noticed that there are slight differences in just /some/ of
    the .MSF files on the two partitions, in the \Local Folders (e.g.,
    Junk.msf, Sent.msf are slightly different size files). Probably, these
    relate to the different Vista file structure, but I have no real idea
    about this. Most of the other Mail folders seem identical on both
    partitions.

    QUESTION: Which folders/files in Mail and News do I synchronize between
    XP and Vista partitions?

    ALTERNATIVE: Can I have the Vista version of TBird /directly/ access my
    Profiles in the XP version, or vice versa? Or perhaps I can point both
    versions of TBird to the same Profiles folder on a third partition?
    Either alternative would be ideal, since it should eliminate the need
    for synchronization.

    Thanks very much!

    - Barry

  2. Re: Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista?

    BarryM wrote: I have set up a dual-boot system (WinXP Home and Vista Ultimate).

    Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 was originally set up on the WinXP partition and works great.

    I have just installed TBird 2.0.0.6 on the Vista partition and copied my Mail and News folders to it from the XP partition. It seems to work fine using the copied material, but I haven't yet thoroughly tested it on Vista.

[...]

    The alternative option is the easy one, just keep everything in a third partition, no need to sync.

    You may see these instructions
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder"

  3. Re: Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista?

    Vic Garcia wrote:
    > BarryM wrote:
    >> I have set up a dual-boot system (WinXP Home and Vista Ultimate).
    >>
    >> Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 was originally set up on the WinXP partition and
    >> works great.
    >>
    >> I have just installed TBird 2.0.0.6 on the Vista partition and copied
    >> my Mail and News folders to it from the XP partition. It seems to work
    >> fine using the copied material, but I haven't yet thoroughly tested it
    >> on Vista.
    >>
    >> To /reliably/ use TBird when I switch partitions, I want to be able to
    >> synchronize the Mail folder, and possibly the News folder. I am not
    >> too concerned about other personal settings (e.g., extensions) since
    >> it is easy to duplicate them manually. I use SyncBackSE for
    >> synchronizing other things, but I am willing to use another method if
    >> required.
    >>
    >> However, before I decided to go ahead and sync my Profiles between
    >> WinXP and Vista, I noticed that there are slight differences in just
    >> /some/ of the .MSF files on the two partitions, in the \Local Folders
    >> (e.g., Junk.msf, Sent.msf are slightly different size files).
    >> Probably, these relate to the different Vista file structure, but I
    >> have no real idea about this. Most of the other Mail folders seem
    >> identical on both partitions.
    >>
    >> QUESTION: Which folders/files in Mail and News do I synchronize
    >> between XP and Vista partitions?
    >>
    >> ALTERNATIVE: Can I have the Vista version of TBird /directly/ access
    >> my Profiles in the XP version, or vice versa? Or perhaps I can point
    >> both versions of TBird to the same Profiles folder on a third
    >> partition? Either alternative would be ideal, since it should
    >> eliminate the need for synchronization.
    >>
    >> Thanks very much!
    >>
    >> - Barry
    >>

    > The alternative option is the easy one, just keep everything in a third
    > partition, no need to sync.
    >
    > You may see these instructions
    > "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder"

    Thanks, Vic. That seems to do the job. I was just worried that something
    about the two operating systems (Vista and XP) might not allow the same,
    exact Profile to be used (shared?) -- even if that Profile could not be
    accessed simultaneously.

  4. Re: Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista?

    BarryM wrote: Vic Garcia wrote:
      BarryM wrote:
[...]

    As long as is not accessed simultaneous (what will not happens in your case), will work fine.
    Nice thing is that Vista cannot mess anything on it, do not worry about XP, that one works OK.

  5. Re: Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista?

    BarryM wrote:
    > I have set up a dual-boot system (WinXP Home and Vista Ultimate).
    >
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 was originally set up on the WinXP partition and
    > works great.
    >
    > I have just installed TBird 2.0.0.6 on the Vista partition and copied my
    > Mail and News folders to it from the XP partition. It seems to work fine
    > using the copied material, but I haven't yet thoroughly tested it on Vista.
    >
    > To /reliably/ use TBird when I switch partitions, I want to be able to
    > synchronize the Mail folder, and possibly the News folder. I am not too
    > concerned about other personal settings (e.g., extensions) since it is
    > easy to duplicate them manually. I use SyncBackSE for synchronizing
    > other things, but I am willing to use another method if required.
    >
    > However, before I decided to go ahead and sync my Profiles between WinXP
    > and Vista, I noticed that there are slight differences in just /some/ of
    > the .MSF files on the two partitions, in the \Local Folders (e.g.,
    > Junk.msf, Sent.msf are slightly different size files). Probably, these
    > relate to the different Vista file structure, but I have no real idea
    > about this. Most of the other Mail folders seem identical on both
    > partitions.
    >
    > QUESTION: Which folders/files in Mail and News do I synchronize between
    > XP and Vista partitions?
    >
    > ALTERNATIVE: Can I have the Vista version of TBird /directly/ access my
    > Profiles in the XP version, or vice versa? Or perhaps I can point both
    > versions of TBird to the same Profiles folder on a third partition?
    > Either alternative would be ideal, since it should eliminate the need
    > for synchronization.
    >
    > Thanks very much!
    >
    > - Barry

    A slightly different solution: use another disk, e. g. a portable one
    and Portable Thunderbird
    (http://portableapps.com/news/2007-08...rtable_2.0.0.6)

    BR,
    Gudmund

  6. Re: Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista?

    Vic Garcia wrote:
    > BarryM wrote:
    >> Vic Garcia wrote:

    >>> The alternative option is the easy one, just keep everything in a
    >>> third partition, no need to sync.
    >>>
    >>> You may see these instructions
    >>> "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder"
    >>>

    >> Thanks, Vic. That seems to do the job. I was just worried that
    >> something about the two operating systems (Vista and XP) might not
    >> allow the same, exact Profile to be used (shared?) -- even if that
    >> Profile could not be accessed simultaneously.

    > As long as is not accessed simultaneous (what will not happens in your
    > case), will work fine.
    > Nice thing is that Vista cannot mess anything on it, do not worry about
    > XP, that one works OK.

    The only small thing I notice is that any messages I read in one
    partition show up as "unread" when I switch to the other partition. Not
    a big thing, I can live with that. At least the messages are there!

  7. Re: Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista?

    BarryM wrote:
    > Vic Garcia wrote:
    >> BarryM wrote:

    >>> Thanks, Vic. That seems to do the job. I was just worried that
    >>> something about the two operating systems (Vista and XP) might not
    >>> allow the same, exact Profile to be used (shared?) -- even if that
    >>> Profile could not be accessed simultaneously.

    >> As long as is not accessed simultaneous (what will not happens in your
    >> case), will work fine.
    >> Nice thing is that Vista cannot mess anything on it, do not worry
    >> about XP, that one works OK.
    >>

    > The only small thing I notice is that any messages I read in one
    > partition show up as "unread" when I switch to the other partition. Not
    > a big thing, I can live with that. At least the messages are there!

    To elaborate, I notice that the /folder names/ that hold new, unread
    messages are /not/ in bold when I switch between Vista and XP, and vice
    versa. But the unread messages /inside/ these folders are shown in bold,
    as expected. So TBird 2.0.0.6 is in fact storing the "read" status of
    the messages, but it doesn't update the folder names (and unread message
    count) to show that there are unread messages inside them. Strange.

  8. Re: Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista?

    BarryM wrote:

    > To elaborate, I notice that the /folder names/ that hold new, unread
    > messages are /not/ in bold when I switch between Vista and XP, and
    > vice versa. But the unread messages /inside/ these folders are shown
    > in bold, as expected. So TBird 2.0.0.6 is in fact storing the "read"
    > status of the messages, but it doesn't update the folder names (and
    > unread message count) to show that there are unread messages inside
    > them. Strange.

    Close Thunderbird.
    Goto Thunderbird profile folder.
    Open Mail folder.
    Delete all .msf files ( these are actually index files and will be
    regenerated on next start ).
    Start Thunderbird .

  9. Re: Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista?

    > To elaborate, I notice that the /folder names/ that hold new, unread
    > messages are /not/ in bold when I switch between Vista and XP, and vice
    > versa. But the unread messages /inside/ these folders are shown in bold,
    > as expected. So TBird 2.0.0.6 is in fact storing the "read" status of
    > the messages, but it doesn't update the folder names (and unread message
    > count) to show that there are unread messages inside them. Strange.

    I'm having a slightly different, but perhaps related problem. I use
    Unison to synchronize my mail
    folders and my profile folder from a windows XP box to my laptop, also
    running XP. Everything works fine,
    except the bolding and folder counts are not initially correct on the
    subfolders. Once I click on a folder,
    the count becomes correct.

    I've been trying very hard to get at the root of this; I've tried
    deleting all my msf files and
    regenerating them, for example, and
    this does not help. I am not sure how Thunderbird stores things like
    what folders are bolded when you
    start the program (I doubt it scans all .msf files, or does it?), or
    which folders have subfolders collapsed.
    I would very much like to know if anyone has the answer.

  10. Re: Sync Thunderbird Profiles on a dual-boot XP/Vista?

    I can't get the new profile I just set up to display in my list of identities. That is, it doesn't show up with its inbox, sent folder, etc., that it should under the folders list on the left side of the screen. Any ideas?

    --
    Carol J. Amato

  11. Getting a new profile to display

    Sorry. I should have changed the subject line on this.

    --
    Carol J. Amato
    UIU Online Faculty
    "Carol J. Amato" wrote in message news:fcGdnTW_RL1yHUnbnZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    I can't get the new profile I just set up to display in my list of identities. That is, it doesn't show up with its inbox, sent folder, etc., that it should under the folders list on the left side of the screen. Any ideas?

    --
    Carol J. Amato

  12. Re: Getting a new profile to display

    Carol J. Amato wrote:
    > Sorry. I should have changed the subject line on this.

    ....and you should have started a new thread

    Better do that - and quote, if you want your messages to be seen and read.

    BR,
    Gudmund

+ Reply to Thread